For the future

Who thinks we will stay in the premier league?

I hope this club doesn’t sell any more players this season in the premier league as it will be the same old story do well to get to the premier league and sell our good players and go down.

I've watched and supported city for years. Unfortunately, I can can see city being relagated again next season. 

I’m going to put a bet on but I can’t find anyone that I can bet with that doesn’t offend my little babby eyes 🥲 #Sad

Depends who we get, and how quickly / effectively they gel. I'm far more confident in Farke's ability to get a team to play together relatively quickly compared to all our other recent managers (his team performances after international breaks is testimony to that) and Webber knows full well - and has indeed often said - that he sent Farke into battle without a gun last time.

So I have no doubt Webber's going all-in this time around when it comes to chasing his preferred targets hard. I will say this though, don't expect a Buendia replacement as a matter of course. I would guess the aim this time around is to make us harder to play against, whilst still having creativity in the form of Cantwell and Dowell so the onus is on the likes of Sorensen, Idah, and Placheta to really step up in pre-season as all three have raw physicality / speed to an extent previous players in their positions never quite did.

So I would guess we're looking for two more defensive / box-to-box midfielders and another centre-half. I'd take Adarabioyo over Ajer, personally - he's already had a year's experience in the Premier League and is a more aggressive unit. Ajer looks better suited to Serie A for me.

Don't think anyone can give a sensible answer till the transfer window is over.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Absolutely, we have the core to give it a good go, we don’t have a huge depth in quality at the moment. But a few decent additions and keeping key players fit, injuries have killed us in the past, then we have a shot.

The reality is not many clubs like us survive never mind establish, look at WBA, Fulham and Sheffield…….for your answer.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Indeed, I'm always reluctant to make a proper prediction until at least July, maybe August.

As it stands, the bookies have got us at 5/6 to be relegated and 5/6 to stay up, so it could go either way. That's a great opportunity for the naysayers to put their money where their mouth is and make some cash.

• Like 1

We don't have a chance in hell of staying up. 

With buendia gone, we need to replace that talent to some degree, and buy about six players. 

That isn't gonna happen. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

As it stands then little chance but with some quality signings most definitely. 

How do we get quality signings we won’t pay the fees or wages to attract quality. We will get more unproven foreigners or Championship players . 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Wrathofthefarkely said:

We don't have a chance in hell of staying up. 

With buendia gone, we need to replace that talent to some degree, and buy about six players. 

That isn't gonna happen. 

A few bookies are offering Evs on us being relegated next season. Fill your boots and double your money.

Sheff Utd Managed a very good season with an average squad, only to be found out a year later. We possibly may have survived last time around had we not had so many injuries. There's a chance we'll be bottom, and at best, our top of the league position is 12th, infinite variables to influence the outcome at the end of the season. I'll be enjoying it no matter what. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

A few bookies are offering Evs on us being relegated next season. Fill your boots and double your money.

I don’t personally see the point in putting £100 down just to win another £100. I’d rather put the £100 towards beer to drown my sorrows as we go down, or celebrate if we stay up! Can’t drink a betting slip!

Well, the defence is better than last time with Hanley in top form and Gibson a class act and Gianoulis as a good left back. aarons hopefully will stay, but we have options there already and can buy someone in if he does go.

The midfield is still well stocked and Cantwell is going to be much better over the whole season than he was last time with his maturuty and experience.  Dowell will cause problems too. We may get Skipp back too and we have Sorensen who has looked good every time he has appeared on the pitch.  Time to get others in too.

Up front we have Pukki who will still be excellent at finding space and setting up or scoring goals. Again, there is time to get palyers in. 

Add to that any of the youngsters that might break through - Idah in particular - and for me, overall, we are much better placed to stay up next season. 

There were plenty of games last time where we were just a fraction short of drawing or winning games - the margins were very small. Farke will have learned alot from that, the physicality that is required and the adjustments in tactics that will be needed.

Most of all last time, we had severe injury problems - and if we can avoid that, with the improved squad that we have (yes, even without Emi) we should imo do ok. 

• Like 1

Just now, lake district canary said:

Well, the defence is better than last time with Hanley in top form and Gibson a class act and Gianoulis as a good left back. aarons hopefully will stay, but we have options there already and can buy someone in if he does go.

The midfield is still well stocked and Cantwell is going to be much better over the whole season than he was last time with his maturuty and experience.  Dowell will cause problems too. We may get Skipp back too and we have Sorensen who has looked good every time he has appeared on the pitch.  Time to get others in too.

Up front we have Pukki who will still be excellent at finding space and setting up or scoring goals. Again, there is time to get palyers in. 

Add to that any of the youngsters that might break through - Idah in particular - and for me, overall, we are much better placed to stay up next season. 

There were plenty of games last time where we were just a fraction short of drawing or winning games - the margins were very small. Farke will have learned alot from that, the physicality that is required and the adjustments in tactics that will be needed.

Most of all last time, we had severe injury problems - and if we can avoid that, with the improved squad that we have (yes, even without Emi) we should imo do ok. 

The bit in bold is why I'd say we should focus on defence and defensive midfielders. Our problem last time in the Premier was that we were too open down the middle in particular, but we have Cantwell and Dowell for real creativity, and in Giannoulis and Aarons, two full backs who are more than capable of providing width. If we shore the middle up more, it should release those two somewhat so it would be harder to defend against us. Not to mention, Rupp is a very good picker of a pass, he's just not as incisive as a Vrancic, but he's less likely to cough up a cheap one and can keep an opposition defence in a state of some discomfort.

Failing that, Hernandez was our best player in Project Restart because of his speed and ability to release pressure on us a little as an out ball. Placheta, in speed terms, is a fair upgrade. Idah is also a probable upgrade due to his combination of size and speed. To some extent we're hoping Placheta, Idah, and Sorensen all step up. 

Prem looks very strong next season and will be a tough fight for any of the promoted teams to survive.

In reality Webber could bring in 3 or 4 good players that improve the team but still see Norwich relegated. Even with an almost perfect transfer strategy it might not be enough, as it will come down to what other teams do in the market as well.

It will likely be very fine margins and luck will probably have a huge say.

Far too early to say. All I would say is that promotion was a little too easy and we weren't tested enough and when we were tested we didn't do that well.

I'm sure we will strengthen the squad significantly and give it a good go. With a fair wind there will be 3 worse teams than us. Target should be to finish above Villa!

• Like 2

Just now, Capt. Pants said:

Far too early to say. All I would say is that promotion was a little too easy and we weren't tested enough and when we were tested we didn't do that well.

I'm sure we will strengthen the squad significantly and give it a good go. With a fair wind there will be 3 worse teams than us. Target should be to finish above Villa!

This would be brilliant! 

The squad as it is now will be relegated.

Hopefully with the addition of 4-5 first teamers, another centre back, 2 defensively minded midfielders, a pacy attacking midfielder and realistic competition for Pukki we will have a chance...but that assumes we do not sell any more.

Our only chance was keeping hold of Buendia, pretty sure we've won once in about 40 games without him! But once again we have waved the white flag before a ball has been kicked. The club's owners simply have no interest in being a Premier league club. Unfortunately neither do many of our oddball fanbase. Genuinely think we may aswell offer Swansea our place. Least they might have the decency to try and be competitive. Save ourselves the embarrassment of getting battered and laughed at on a weekly basis. We are a joke in the Premier league. Bottom place nailed on.

Keith. Scott.

With respect to the O/P I just wish this question hadn't been asked.

The alternative to a successful season next time around hardly bares thinking about.

Discontent with the owners would once again rear it's ugly head and possibly with an intent on  a level never seen before.

We would likely lose Farke, Webber and a host of stars.

But! Hey I think we stand a decent chance of keeping our heads above the water line. Depends upon  a few decent transfer dealings of course.

If not we will still have our great support base, our Cat. 1. status and training ground facilities unequalled in the club's history.

History (sorry to use that word) has demonstrated that, as a club, we always manage to rebound.

The basics will remain.

41 minutes ago, City 101 said:

How do we get quality signings we won’t pay the fees or wages to attract quality. We will get more unproven foreigners or Championship players . 

I mean, that's exactly what Emi Buendia was so not sure that's a valid stick to start waving..

Going down.

Defence good in Champs this is PL.

Creativity little without Emi.

To stay up need goals Pukki needs creativity will struggle to score enough.

Could produce a miracle if we can recruit enough bargain quality on our shoestring budget an unlikely outcome.  Need a quality CB, AM and striker at the very least thats £60m or thereabouts we don't have or won't pay.

Just enjoy a season of entertaining if frustrating effort.  Hope for the best survival plan for the worst relegation without Webber and Farke .  An improved loan strategy better than seen in recent years could see the miracle happen.

But its another relegation to look forward to seems the most likely option however.  

It’s way too early to say what might or might not happen, we wait and see.  I think we will end the window stronger than we started it but it might not be enough. If it isn’t, that’s life - I for one won’t suddenly stop supporting or wanting to go and watch my side.

If it is true that we balked at Josh Kings wages then we will struggle, because they were below average for this division. Sadly I think our sustainable model only allows for champs wages and that - more than transfer fees- will see us purchase from the bargain bucket and cross fingers and hope for the best. 

this is before we plug the MASSIVE losses of skipp and Buendia 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

If it is true that we balked at Josh Kings wages then we will struggle, because they were below average for this division. Sadly I think our sustainable model only allows for champs wages and that - more than transfer fees- will see us purchase from the bargain bucket and cross fingers and hope for the best. 

this is before we plug the MASSIVE losses of skipp and Buendia 

They weren't if you look at data sensibly. Obviously the top 6 teams make the average look higher because they pay ridiculous sums but as an example, Newcastle average salary was about 36k per week, as was Wolves, Villa and some below that.