His pathway is at a cross roads now. He's still listed as an U23 player officially. Are we thinking that the Prem is a step too far? Outgoing loan likely perhaps? If so, are we expecting another defensive player to come in and put pressure on Zimbo, Gibson and Hanley? I really liked the look of Andy. He has a bright future! This is such a crucial time for him.

Edited by Michael Starr

I'd be disappointed if he wasn't around the first team this season. Our model is all about turning players like this into a Godfrey or Aarons and the only way to do that is by giving them the chance to play and improve. I hope we sign another CB, but I would think that Andrew is good enough to be on the bench and play in the cup games if not fighting for a league start.

• Like 2

If he stays it's a bit down to chance whether he gets an opportunity, whereas if he goes on loan at a lower level at least he's more likely to get game time. I'd go the loan route personally, but presumably they'll have a good look at him in pre-season and take a view.

As he is only 18 now then I don't think his development would too damaged by sticking around to be part of a Premier League squad, getting some minutes in cup games and off the bench at times. It depends how many centre backs Norwich sign this summer as too how much game time he can get but I think Omobamidele has probably moved past Zimmermann in the pecking order after his end of season performances.

No harm keeping him around and getting training under an excellent coach like Farke and at the excellent facilities Norwich have. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Michael Starr said:

His pathway is at a cross roads now. He's still listed as an U23 player officially. Are we thinking that the Prem is a step too far? Outgoing loan likely perhaps? If so, are we expecting another defensive player to come in and put pressure on Zimbo, Gibson and Hanley? I really liked the look of Andy. He has a bright future! This is such a crucial time for him.

I'm hopeful he will be like Jamal and Max and brought in to the senior squad. The PL may be a big step up but the lad has some good potential and looked comfortable playing in some really big games at the end of the championship season.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

As he is only 18 now then I don't think his development would too damaged by sticking around to be part of a Premier League squad, getting some minutes in cup games and off the bench at times. It depends how many centre backs Norwich sign this summer as too how much game time he can get but I think Omobamidele has probably moved past Zimmermann in the pecking order after his end of season performances.

No harm keeping him around and getting training under an excellent coach like Farke and at the excellent facilities Norwich have. 

He’s comfortably our third choice centre back now IMO. Obviously we will probably sign another, but fourth choice will probably get him a decent amount of game time still - especially knowing our luck with injured centre backs…

Would’ve been interesting to see if he pulled Omobamidele straight back out of the team at the end of last season if Gibson had returned to fitness. Probably, but would’ve been very very very harsh on Omo. The lad couldn’t have been more impressive given the circumstances. 

• Like 1

Not to diminish his performances last season at all, but it's a lot easier defending in a team with routine 60+% possession than one that's under the cosh regularly as we probably will be in the PL. Could see him being brought down with a bump by the step up, but could also be the making of him!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fr. Chewy Louie said:

Not to diminish his performances last season at all, but it's a lot easier defending in a team with routine 60+% possession than one that's under the cosh regularly as we probably will be in the PL. Could see him being brought down with a bump by the step up, but could also be the making of him!

Weren't our possession rates in the PL lasttime quite good?  I thought we regularly got over 50%.

1 minute ago, Fr. Chewy Louie said:

You'll never know if you don't try. The beauty is that his age means he doesn't take a squad place away from anyone else so, worst case, he doesn't break into the team and goes on loan in January.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

Weren't our possession rates in the PL lasttime quite good?  I thought we regularly got over 50%.

Yeah fair point, but we definitely had to do a lot more defending than the season just gone.

I think Andrew is ready. He was brilliant and no worse than Ben Godfrey. He has a brilliant future and in my books our 3rd CB with Zimbo 4th 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Harry53 said:

I think Andrew is ready. He was brilliant and no worse than Ben Godfrey. He has a brilliant future and in my books our 3rd CB with Zimbo 4th 

Agree with this, I think he has the potential to be better than Godfrey.

The lad is so composed for 18 and has a very bright future ahead of him if he carries on the path he's on.

6 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

He’s done more than Idah or Hugill to warrant a place in next seasons squad, keep him here. 

Idah scored our first and last goals of the season, getting 3 goals and 1 assist in just 328 minutes on the pitch or 1 goal/assist every 82 minutes. That's the best ratio in our entire squad beating Buendia's 1 every 107 minutes and Pukki's 1 every 115 minutes. I don't think you should be writing the guy off just yet.

Hugill is a slightly different equation. He adds a lot to the overall squad in terms of personality and energy but probably lacks the ability we need in the Premier League. We obviously had a plan to cross the ball for him to head it into the goal but that didn't really work so well. He will hopefully be our 4th choice striker. 

37 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

The points tally turned out to be the major problem.Quality has to be signed to double that embarrassing 21. 

7 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:
48 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

The points tally turned out to be the major problem.Quality has to be signed to double that embarrassing 21. 

Yes, I know, I was answering a specific point about possession stats, but we have signed quality in Ben Gibson. The question is who will be understudies to him and Hanley in case either are injured/suspended - and Omobamidele seems to have done well enough to be at least in the squad in his own right.  I guess we will need to get another CB in too, as Zimbo hasn't played a lot of games in two years and may struggle to get back to his best.  Gibson/Hanley/Omobamidele/Zimmermann plus one more should be enough.

I agree with all that, the key signing will be who steps into Buendia’s shoes. Pukki thrives on that pin point passing to put him through on goal. I haven’t got a clue who that player may be but we live in hope. Perhaps Todd with all his attributes improves even more to achieve what we all desire. 

We have been linked to several CBs and Ajer from Celtic seems the most likely of those. What happens may depend on whether DF is considering the option of playing 3 at the back on occasions next season. He has gone to that late in games to preserve a lead but it could be an option against the big clubs, especially away from home. Omobamidele would be a good fit on the right of a back 3. There's also Famewo who has been on loan at Charlton this season.

I'd keep him here if there's space for him in the squad, he didn't look out of place coming into the side and can continue to learn and improve around the first team

1 hour ago, Midlands Yellow said:

I agree with all that, the key signing will be who steps into Buendia’s shoes. Pukki thrives on that pin point passing to put him through on goal. I haven’t got a clue who that player may be but we live in hope. Perhaps Todd with all his attributes improves even more to achieve what we all desire. 

Someone has really hit you with the miserable stick haven’t they? In a thread about Omobamidele you’ve managed to slag off Idah and Hugill (undeservedly), remind us of how few points we got last time in the PL, and bring up Emi’s sale once again. To be completely fair, there is a half-way optimistic point about Todd in your last post, but it’s almost as if you only reply to try and bring people down.

1 hour ago, AJ said:

I'd keep him here if there's space for him in the squad

He doesn't have to be registered in the squad as he is under 21. He doesn't count towards the 25 man limit.

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I think we should loan him out for the season.

Who, Midlands?

Let the pre-season decide. I'd like to see him have a go, but I wouldn't be averse to seeing him on loan to a decent Championship side to see if he can basically do a Skipp in his first full season, as opposed to coming out of the traps late. I do trust Farke to get that call right, and I would like to see a fifth centre-half in the building as insurance against the crap from two years ago. Keeping at least two centre-halves fit will go a very long way to beating that 21 point mark as I think a lot have forgotten how much of the season we were hamstrung that way - both before and after Project Restart.

Thought he looked absolute class and very comfortable with the ball, would prefer that he didn’t go out on loan 

Would love to see him given a full season in the championship. He has aged incredibly already. He would be immense after a full season. Hopefully the same for Famewo too!

24 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

He doesn't have to be registered in the squad as he is under 21. He doesn't count towards the 25 man limit.

Sorry, I meant more as if he is required for the squad. Such as being 3rd/4th choice or whichever way so in that he might get some game time, either in cup games or if called upon. If he's not then a loan would make more sense

33 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Someone has really hit you with the miserable stick haven’t they? In a thread about Omobamidele you’ve managed to slag off Idah and Hugill (undeservedly), remind us of how few points we got last time in the PL, and bring up Emi’s sale once again. To be completely fair, there is a half-way optimistic point about Todd in your last post, but it’s almost as if you only reply to try and bring people down.

That’s slightly harsh. Not everyone will make the final squad after new signings arrive. I was only looking at other players in the frame and guessing who will get a place and who might not. I’m sure one of Idah or Hugill might remain but Omodamidle looks the part and slotted in beautifully. 

Omobamidele I hope will be in and around the first team squad - I think he can handle the step up from what we saw of him in the last couple of months of the season. As good a servant as he's been, Zimmermann wasn't premiership quality 2 years ago if we're being brutally honest and he's not likely improved in that time. It's been made pretty clear that we'll be bringing in another CB in the summer to compete with Gibson and Hanley; Keep Omobamidele around to gain experience alongside the three of them and let Zimbo go out on loan to Germany or back to the championship so he's still available if we go down and need him again the following season.