Sign in to follow this  
canarydan23

More angry at BK8 than Emi's transfer

I love my football club. I love that I can walk to the ground. I love it so much that I jumped a gate not so long ago just to get back in the stadium (got a nice video that I'm probably drunk enough to share if anyone wants it).

I don't love it because we've just had an absolutely brilliant season. I don't love it because we've spent x amount of years in the top league of English football in the last x amount of years. When I started going to Carrow Road with my old man (who I don't actually like that much, so it's not a family thing) I could run up and down my row or even hop back a few rows to celebrate scoring a goal. I remember being only a child but wanting to punch some fully grown men Charlton fans as they celebrated Mendoca getting a hatrick against us as they walked back to their coaches home up Lower Clarence Road. I loved Norwich as much then, as we dwindled in the second tier with little hope of promotion, as I do now, after one of our greatest seasons ever and we look at another season in the top tier.

Emi going sucks. But it's part of a legitimate plan, even if it is hard to see the fruits of it from here.

However, what I love about us is that we, as our local university has in its motto, do different. We coated the training ground in tributes to Tettey. Our majority shareholder got wankered and walked onto the pitch. We get promoted to the Prem and spend £4.50 on new players. We get promoted to the Prem and sell our best player (potentially players). We signed Finnish players who flopped in the SPL. We sent a bottle of champagne to that lass of Sky Sports News who covered the Forest 3-3.

I get angry at certain things for sure, but they pass and by and large our position with the (nowadays) largely arbitrary league pyramid makes no difference in how much I love NCFC.

But I struggle on nights like tonight. Realistically, how much do we make out of selling our soul to a murky little company like BK8, compared to being sponsored by a local company like Lotus, or waiving the revenue entirely and having a charity on our shirt? BK8 maybe pay a couple of million a year to Lotus's 1 million or Nelson's Journey's £0? We'd lose a tiny portion of what we're about to receive for Emi Buendia and even tinier a portion of our Premier League TV money.

Is the soul of our club really worth so little?

Edited by canarydan23
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

I’m completely the opposite and i find it strange that others take the opposite view. Don’t get me wrong I think the sponsorship stuff is unsavoury and id rather we didn’t have them but fundamentally selling our best player is a bigger deal. 

• Like 2

Just now, Jim Smith said:

I’m completely the opposite and i find it strange that others take the opposite view. Don’t get me wrong I think the sponsorship stuff is unsavoury and id rather we didn’t have them but fundamentally selling our best player is a bigger deal. 

That's because you're not as intelligent as me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

What a good post, dan👍

The sale of Emi Buendia could have absolutely been an all consuming thing that over shadowed all else. I have serious misgivings about it - but like you 

I find it really affirming that the fan base have (with only minor exception) taken to expressing their outrage at this, setting aside the on field issue of the day.

We have a lot to be proud of at this club. It seems a principled fan base with a desire to see positive change in the world is another we can add to that list.

I can't actually believe it today. Corals/Dafabet were bad enough, but this latest deal just enters a world of depravity that could have been avoided. No doubt it will be washed over and will stay with the club, but if it does, it will taint this season. 

I dont care if it costs money to get out of the contract, I want this company removed from association with our club.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

I love my football club. I love that I can walk to the ground. I love it so much that I jumped a gate not so long ago just to get back in the stadium (got a nice video that I'm probably drunk enough to share if anyone wants it).

I don't love it because we've just had an absolutely brilliant season. I don't love it because we've spent x amount of years in the top league of English football in the last x amount of years. When I started going to Carrow Road with my old man (who I don't actually like that much, so it's not a family thing) I could run up and down my row or even hop back a few rows to celebrate scoring a goal. I remember being only a child but wanting to punch some fully grown men Charlton fans as they celebrated Mendoca getting a hatrick against us as they walked back to their coaches home up Lower Clarence Road. I loved Norwich as much then, as we dwindled in the second tier with little hope of promotion, as I do now, after one of our greatest seasons ever and we look at another season in the top tier.

Emi going sucks. But it's part of a legitimate plan, even if it is hard to see the fruits of it from here.

However, what I love about us is that we, as our local university has in its motto, do different. We coated the training ground in tributes to Tettey. Our majority shareholder got wankered and walked onto the pitch. We get promoted to the Prem and spend £4.50 on new players. We get promoted to the Prem and sell our best player (potentially players). We signed Finnish players who flopped in the SPL. We sent a bottle of champagne to that lass of Sky Sports News who covered the Forest 3-3.

I get angry at certain things for sure, but they pass and by and large our position with the (nowadays) largely arbitrary league pyramid makes no difference in how much I love NCFC.

But I struggle on nights like tonight. Realistically, how much do we make out of selling our soul to a murky little company like BK8, compared to being sponsored by a local company like Lotus, or waiving the revenue entirely and having a charity on our shirt? BK8 maybe pay a couple of million a year to Lotus's 1 million or Nelson's Journey's £0? We'd lose a tiny portion of what we're about to receive for Emi Buendia and even tinier a portion of our Premier League TV money.

Is the soul of our club really worth so little?

Best post I’ve read on here in ages 👍🏼👏

• Thanks 1

I agree with you, but I’m also not sure where all this morality has been hiding while we’ve took the money of a similarly grubby enterprise for years. 

1 minute ago, Monty13 said:

I agree with you, but I’m also not sure where all this morality has been hiding while we’ve took the money of a similarly grubby enterprise for years. 

I was similarly annoyed at LeoVegas and Dafabet, but I never saw so much disgusting misogyny from their marketing campaigns. It's proper rank, female-humiliating stuff.

Edited by canarydan23

Quiet clearly the Dafabet girls in their skimpy underwear were a better class of sexism and therefore not a problem, or easier material to finish too, either way I really don’t understand the priorities of some people

4 minutes ago, Son Ova Gunn said:

Quiet clearly the Dafabet girls in their skimpy underwear were a better class of sexism and therefore not a problem, or easier material to finish too, either way I really don’t understand the priorities of some people

A girl deep throating a hot dog sausage is a completely different level to a photo of a girl in a bikini, surely you have enough brain cells to compute that.

Hmm, not really no, a girl sucking a frankfurter or a girl with her bits almost on show I would put on par to be honest. Not that I’m an expert in rating levels of titillation but yeah personally I’m on the fence.

Edited by Son Ova Gunn

1 minute ago, Son Ova Gunn said:

Hmm, not really no, a girl sucking a frankfurter or a girl with her bits almost on show I would put on par to be honest. Not that I’m an expert in rating levels of titillation but yeah personally I’m on the fence.

What about a girl getting a giant dildo hammered into her? Whether or not that's an official BK8 channel or not, and it appears to be, they don't seem too concerned at having their name attached to it given that the channel has been putting out this stuff for months.

image.thumb.png.652af1dbbac062405def6d6a9bfe8869.png

5 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

What about a girl getting a giant dildo hammered into her? Whether or not that's an official BK8 channel or not, and it appears to be, they don't seem too concerned at having their name attached to it given that the channel has been putting out this stuff for months.

What.. with her trousers on?... you sure?...

I can’t read what it says and have little desire to go look at it.. but if a teenage son of mine used the BK8 website to find p orn  I would be appalled for two reason

1. They are visiting a betting site underage

2. Everyone knows where to go for that stuff and only an idiot would go to a betting site for it!

Edited by Son Ova Gunn

8 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

You realise that’s YouTube right? You aren’t getting any dildos hammered anywhere on there  unless Adam Savage is going to one day build one. Google kind of frowns upon that sort of thing.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Son Ova Gunn said:

What.. with her trousers on?... you sure?...

I can’t read what it says and have little desire to go look at it.. but if a teenage son of mine used the BK8 website to find p orn  I would be appalled for two reason

1. They are visiting a betting site underage

2. Everyone knows where to go for that stuff and only an idiot would go to a betting site for it!

"if". Probably something you're never going to have to contemplate. Especially if you think a few mm of fabric would stop you getting some.

1 minute ago, Monty13 said:

You realise that’s YouTube right? You aren’t getting any dildos hammered anywhere on there  unless Adam Savage is going to one day build one. Google kind of frowns upon that sort of thing.

Then it's even worse. They promise female humiliation but then don't even provide it to the sad sacks that actually click on the link. Both disgusting and duplicitous.

Looking at the view counts on those people aren't really clicking on it which makes it even stranger that it exists.

Edit - Perhaps other platforms are where their views are coming from.

Edited by KeiranShikari

I can't take this. Emi leaving and now me wholeheartedly agreeing with something @canarydan23has said. Sometimes life just kicks you when you are down.

Just now, Ian said:

I can't take this. Emi leaving and now me wholeheartedly agreeing with something @canarydan23has said. Sometimes life just kicks you when you are down.

Christ. I got the notification that "Ian" had quoted me and got my heckles up, clicked on it whilst preparing a withering put-down and now this. I may need to go and punch my neighbour to release the pent up aggression it has caused.

13 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

"if". Probably something you're never going to have to contemplate. Especially if you think a few mm of fabric would stop you getting some.

Dude, if you can enter someone with leggings on then I’m not going to argue with you sir, in fact I bow down to your greatness and only ask one day that you pass on this knowledge to us lesser folk. I will doff my cap and leave you be

Edited by Son Ova Gunn

Just now, canarydan23 said:

Christ. I got the notification that "Ian" had quoted me and got my heckles up, clicked on it whilst preparing a withering put-down and now this. I may need to go and punch my neighbour to release the pent up aggression it has caused.

Pity as it would have been the only withering put-down you've ever managed to muster up 🙂

I would imagine there are some who are outraged with BK8 because of Emi - classic case of ‘deflection-ism’

8 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

That's because you're not as intelligent as me.

Don’t get me wrong we all love our club for the sort of reasons you list. I had many of my best times supporting us when we were absolutely rubbish. And I don’t like the sponsorship thing. But for me people should be kicking off more over the sale of Emi and the way our owners hold us back just as much or if not more than over this new sponsorship deal. 

9 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

What a good post, dan👍

The sale of Emi Buendia could have absolutely been an all consuming thing that over shadowed all else. I have serious misgivings about it - but like you 

I find it really affirming that the fan base have (with only minor exception) taken to expressing their outrage at this, setting aside the on field issue of the day.

We have a lot to be proud of at this club. It seems a principled fan base with a desire to see positive change in the world is another we can add to that list.

I disagree its a minority. I think the minority are those that call us the best left wing club and want us to be a version of St Pauli. I think the majority want a really successful 1st team... thats what really makes a community / City proud. 

I'm certainly no prude and I'm almost fairly long in the tooth (but not that old). Like many, I have seen and done a bit in my lifetime, but I totally concur with the OP.....This forum (contrary to popular belief to some hard-core 'regulars' on here who think only their opinion counts) is not the true representation of the voice, opinions or thoughts of the larger majority of NCFC support.....I think the club certainly got this wrong, and I'm sure NCFC are now addressing this embarrassing faux pas.....

Hopefully it'll soon all be water under the bridge and we can refocus on preparing for the forthcoming tough season.....

• Norwich have had their new shirt sponsor remove sexually provocative content 
  • The Canaries announced Asian betting firm BK8 as their new partner on Monday 
  • But fans pointed out some of the company's marketing material online 
  • The company apologised for any offence caused and removed the material 

Captured from the Daily Mail.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not condoning this debacle or betting companies involvement sport at all. But the above is snapshot of what the rest of the country is seeing in mainstream media.

Which in this case, my opinion is "Oh, Premier League team has Asian Betting company on shirt, quelle surprise."  "Wait up, this Asian Betting Company has gone a bit far with the titillation and caused a deal of embarrassment to the said club, but hey they got them to take it down and they have said sorry.....what's for dinner Marion, and where's my golf shoes?" 

To me the the whole betting in mainstream sport is the real problem here, the Gambling Act of 2005 went too far in relaxing regulation and let the Genie out of the bottle, time has come to review this Act and curtail the activities of Gambling Companies severely, too many people have suffered far more than being morally outraged.

With regards to NCFC, certainly a mistake has been made, but in context and in competition with next years EPL rivals, I don't see what else was going happen. Some of the figures being quoted on here seem to me to be way off, eg - "Why take 2M when we could have £1M from Lotus?" I don't know how much BK8 have paid, but I strongly suspect it is far more than £2M, I base this on what the Swansea City marketing manager said on last nights C4 doc on gambling in football. To paraphrase, she said that in the EFL they could afford to spurn the money from betting, in the EPL, it was highly likely they could not.

1 hour ago, Daz Sparks said:
  • Norwich have had their new shirt sponsor remove sexually provocative content 
  • The Canaries announced Asian betting firm BK8 as their new partner on Monday 
  • But fans pointed out some of the company's marketing material online 
  • The company apologised for any offence caused and removed the material 

Captured from the Daily Mail.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not condoning this debacle or betting companies involvement sport at all. But the above is snapshot of what the rest of the country is seeing in mainstream media.

Which in this case, my opinion is "Oh, Premier League team has Asian Betting company on shirt, quelle surprise."  "Wait up, this Asian Betting Company has gone a bit far with the titillation and caused a deal of embarrassment to the said club, but hey they got them to take it down and they have said sorry.....what's for dinner Marion, and where's my golf shoes?" 

To me the the whole betting in mainstream sport is the real problem here, the Gambling Act of 2005 went too far in relaxing regulation and let the Genie out of the bottle, time has come to review this Act and curtail the activities of Gambling Companies severely, too many people have suffered far more than being morally outraged.

With regards to NCFC, certainly a mistake has been made, but in context and in competition with next years EPL rivals, I don't see what else was going happen. Some of the figures being quoted on here seem to me to be way off, eg - "Why take 2M when we could have £1M from Lotus?" I don't know how much BK8 have paid, but I strongly suspect it is far more than £2M, I base this on what the Swansea City marketing manager said on last nights C4 doc on gambling in football. To paraphrase, she said that in the EFL they could afford to spurn the money from betting, in the EPL, it was highly likely they could not.

I probably undercooked it slightly, but not by a huge amount. This seemingly plausible Twitter account reckons our Dafabet sponsorship deal netted us £3 million in our Premier League season...

You would suspect BK8 are paying more than that, but I'd be hugely surprised if it's worth more than £4 million to us this season.

Again, in the context of modern football, particularly in the Premier League, a pitifully low price to sell your soul.