Sign in to follow this  
Harry53

Matheus Pereira a good replacement for Emi?

13 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

Do we really not think Farke couldn’t get the best out of him? 

If we are actually interested and it’s a possibility it would be a cracking signing and a coup.

Its a good point that Farke could get him up to speed in all areas of his game.  If they have been watching him and think he would fit in, then great, go for him, but if he comes he has to be 100% at it. Anything less and we might end up the same way as WBA. My reservations about relegated teams still holds, still think Fer was one of those who did not really fight and I don't want another player who has failed in the PL hopping back to the PL as some easy way back.

3 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Its a good point that Farke could get him up to speed in all areas of his game.  If they have been watching him and think he would fit in, then great, go for him, but if he comes he has to be 100% at it. Anything less and we might end up the same way as WBA. My reservations about relegated teams still holds, still think Fer was one of those who did not really fight and I don't want another player who has failed in the PL hopping back to the PL as some easy way back.

Ben Godfrey was a relegated player, it’s not about the team it’s about the individual for me.

I watched him play towards the end of last season and at times he was in a class of his own, massive talent. He certainly wasn’t the reason they went down, he was one of the few reasons they gave any sort of account of themselves.

If Farke could take that player and add even more to his game and improve his work rate we’d have another gem.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Monty13 said:

Ben Godfrey was a relegated player, it’s not about the team it’s about the individual for me.

I watched him play towards the end of last season and at times he was in a class of his own, massive talent. He certainly wasn’t the reason they went down, he was one of the few reasons they gave any sort of account of themselves.

If Farke could take that player and add even more to his game and improve his work rate we’d have another gem.

Yep, Buendia was a relegated player too. Definitely good enough for the Premier League so there will be good enough players at other relegated clubs too - Pereira being very much in that category.

1 minute ago, Monty13 said:

Ben made a step up in class of club which was fair enough, but I agree with the rest of your post. 👍

• Thanks 1

He doesn't seem to be the sort of player who offers the same defensive work that Emi did, but if we were to get him, he would be an absolute coup. Still, I think he's bound for bigger things than us.

Pereira would seem the best fit to replace Emi but £15m could be too much. I agree that he does track back though and WhoScored doesn't rate him as weak defensively the way they do wi many AMs. Adam Armstrong is another possibility given that he can play as a striker or an AM.

2 minutes ago, Yelloow Since 72 said:

Pereira would seem the best fit to replace Emi but £15m could be too much. I agree that he does track back though and WhoScored doesn't rate him as weak defensively the way they do wi many AMs. Adam Armstrong is another possibility given that he can play as a striker or an AM.

£15m would be a bargain. 

• Like 1

Pereira and Adarabioyo the only two relegated players we've been linked with who I'd be interested in honestly. All three of those teams coming down have a lot of overrated players who are there for the cash grab - These two strike me as having a bit more about them and I think Farke could get the best out of them.

Realistically I suspect whoever we bring in will not be on many fans' radars as yet though, as Emi wasn't the summer he came in. Webber will have a succession plan for Emi already lined up though - We know they scout players for months, even years sometimes before signing them so likely there are a few out there who we've been keeping tabs on since at least this time last year and sooner or later, they'll pull the trigger on one of them - perhaps after the Euros if anyone in the mix is playing there.

6 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I mean, is he really worth almost two Steven Naismiths? 🤔

Or less than half of an Emi.

Whichever is why transfer values are just makey uppy, how much you got,  what do we want, what is fair ,who knows, its never enough ,shoite.

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I mean, is he really worth almost two Steven Naismiths? 🤔

I think there are 95-year-olds with one leg who are worth more than two Naismiths...

4 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

Who the hell is Norbert Briasco???? 

Nobby Fiasco. Would fit in well here. 

I think the point with Pereira is his work rate, or lack of. Emi was pretty good at that and we'll be spending a lot of time without the ball next season. May have put Farke off.

2 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Nobby Fiasco. Would fit in well here. 

I think the point with Pereira is his work rate, or lack of. Emi was pretty good at that and we'll be spending a lot of time without the ball next season. May have put Farke off.

Which is why I suspect we'll be getting more defensive midfielders in and the creative focus will be on Cantwell and Dowell. Depending on how our speedsters look in pre-season, they'll probably be shaping up for more counter-attacking football instead of the front-foot passing that characterised our play this time out.

• Like 1

Where has this crazy notion come from that you don’t want to sign players from relegated clubs? It’s totally ridiculous - there’s some bloody good players out there at sides who have been relegated, I’d take several of them.

44 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

ah well... was fun while it lasted... guess we'll have to wait and see what Webber and Co have up their sleeves.

I think we're looking to go the brick****house way anyway so that's not really Pereira. Might end up being a bit more Hughton in style next season where we prioritise points over performance.

10 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Which is why I suspect we'll be getting more defensive midfielders in and the creative focus will be on Cantwell and Dowell. Depending on how our speedsters look in pre-season, they'll probably be shaping up for more counter-attacking football instead of the front-foot passing that characterised our play this time out.

Playing "more counter-attacking football" would play to the strengths of our attacking players, especially  Placheta and Hernandez - why have pace and not use it?.

3 minutes ago, Yelloow Since 72 said:

Playing "more counter-attacking football" would play to the strengths of our attacking players, especially  Placheta and Hernandez - why have pace and not use it?.

Precisely, they're the speedsters (and to some extent also Idah) I'm referring to.

10 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

Where has this crazy notion come from that you don’t want to sign players from relegated clubs? It’s totally ridiculous - there’s some bloody good players out there at sides who have been relegated, I’d take several of them.

It was Lakeyos latest edict, so please ignore. He writes a good soundbite, but they rarely stand up to scrutiny.

• Like 1