Sign in to follow this  
Harry53

Matheus Pereira a good replacement for Emi?

I see he was on Villas' radar and having checked him out on YouTube, he looks a great player to play in Emis' absence. Skilful and for £15M he looks to be one worth looking at

West Brom fans saying “if Buendia is £35m, then Pereira must be £50m”.

But that’s fans for you.

The £15m figure surprises me and does seem like a steal of true. 

• Like 2

Watched him several times on TV last year. If Baggies fans think he's better then Emi they're deluded. He does very little off the ball and often disappears out of games altogether. I doubt there will be a huge queue 

Yes its been discussed elsewhere, reported that bigger clubs than us are interested in him and that 15 mill is often quoted but  for sure on the low side, he will fetch 20 mill minimum, likely 25 mill. As to Baggies fans thinking hes better than Buendia, well they would wouldnt they. I do not know, not having watched Periera much myself.

He's certainly got better goal numbers in the prem...

For less than half the fee he'd be about as good as we could hope for as a replacement. I doubt we could attract him here though

To be put alongside names like Ajer as nice links and good targets that we will fail to land before settling on our bargain bucket unheard ofs and journeymen 

7 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

To be put alongside names like Ajer as nice links and good targets that we will fail to land before settling on our bargain bucket unheard ofs and journeymen 

What like Buendia  and  Pukki  you mean?

11 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

😂

26 minutes ago, Justin time said:

Be reasonable. Both of those players have been amazing but neither were big signings at the time. Pukki was a free with not many suitors and Emi was not on many radars either. I am talking here of signing established premiership players that other clubs were interested in. 

8 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Be reasonable. Both of those players have been amazing but neither were big signings at the time. Pukki was a free with not many suitors and Emi was not on many radars either. I am talking here of signing established premiership players that other clubs were interested in. 

8 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

That’s the point. Emi was a bargain bucket nobody had heard of and Pukki was a journeyman.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

I mean that's exactly the points he's making. You deriding signings already as being unknown journeymen has to be one of the more naive things you've posted recently. 

Pereira is a talent for sure but he does almost no work defensively. 

I'm not sure he's a fit for us even in the #10 slot.

Then there is the issue of budget. 

A good player but probably not one for us. 

14 minutes ago, Justin time said:

That’s the point. Emi was a bargain bucket nobody had heard of and Pukki was a journeyman.

Good signings but not signed when we were promoted to premiership 

Kind of backs up a thread I started a  while ago about getting players from relegated teams. Ooh that Pereira looks good.......but then the reality is that he doesn't do defending/tracking back......maybe part of the reason WBA were relegated. So no to premier relegated players from other teams.  We kept ours they got us back up - lets see if Pereira does that for West Brom. Somehow I doubt it.

1 hour ago, Justin time said:

People keep coming back to this, but it was a long time ago now. The record in more recent years has been mixed, and that's putting it generously. Webber openly admitted this after the last prem campaign, so it's not really in question at this point. 

The board have a lot to prove after their previous performance in the transfer market after promotion. The pressure is increased this time since they just decided to sell our best player.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if they fail to land their targets, again. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Watched him several times on TV last year. If Baggies fans think he's better then Emi they're deluded. He does very little off the ball and often disappears out of games altogether. I doubt there will be a huge queue 

He’s a very good player, hard to compare the two. He played under some very defensive managers

6 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Kind of backs up a thread I started a  while ago about getting players from relegated teams. Ooh that Pereira looks good.......but then the reality is that he doesn't do defending/tracking back......maybe part of the reason WBA were relegated. So no to premier relegated players from other teams.  We kept ours they got us back up - lets see if Pereira does that for West Brom. Somehow I doubt it.

He does track back and works very hard for the team

20 minutes ago, The Bunny said:

People keep coming back to this, but it was a long time ago now. The record in more recent years has been mixed, and that's putting it generously. Webber openly admitted this after the last prem campaign, so it's not really in question at this point. 

The board have a lot to prove after their previous performance in the transfer market after promotion. The pressure is increased this time since they just decided to sell our best player.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if they fail to land their targets, again. 

Landing the targets is the struggle when we reach this level. We offer championship wages or else put in relegation clauses (sensibly) and that is not enough to entice the better players. 

Two years ago started with very exciting rumours about Koulibaly etc and ended with Bamford on loan.   

6 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Landing the targets is the struggle when we reach this level. We offer championship wages or else put in relegation clauses (sensibly) and that is not enough to entice the better players. 

Two years ago started with very exciting rumours about Koulibaly etc and ended with Bamford on loan.   

No - no it didn't. The Koulibaly link and the Bamford loan happened in season 2015-16.

It's almost as though you haven't got a clue what you're talking about............................

Edited by Thirsty Lizard
  • Like 1

Do we really not think Farke couldn’t get the best out of him? 

If we are actually interested and it’s a possibility it would be a cracking signing and a coup.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

Do we really not think Farke couldn’t get the best out of him? 

If we are actually interested and it’s a possibility it would be a cracking signing and a coup.

This is the one thing that gives me hope if he comes here, Pereira gets flock for 'being lazy' and 'falling out of the game from time to time'. Emi did the exact same when he first joined. If there's one thing I know our coaches are good at is helping our players with their workrates.