Uncle Fred

At least there is no need to sell anymore

2 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Joining the dots he was under contract for 3 more years. This notion that the club can’t do anything if a player fancies a move (which it itself is not proven) is nonsense. 

Keeping a player at a club against his will is equally nonsensical. If we were that obsessed with profit and 'the model', why didn't we sell Aarons, Buendia and Cantwell last summer? I sense we're hurtling towards an 'agree to differ' scenario here 🙂

1 minute ago, Feedthewolf said:

How do you think it would have affected our bargaining position if Emi had said "I just want to get the title sewn up and then I'm out of here"? After his little outburst in the media at the start of the season, the club would surely have told him to toe the line if he wants his move.

In his most recent interview he said he wants to win the Champions League and the World Cup. He's 24 years old already. Join the dots.

Judging from his comment about they ‘always wanted to leave’ after we’ve sold them, I think Jim honestly thinks that Norwich City is some football utopia, the dream pinnacle, to footballers around the world. We’re not. Only in very rare circumstances do we get a Darren Huckerby. Now there’s a guy who genuinely meant what he said about us.

And this is why though I blame Emi. He’s got peoples hopes up alluding to being happy to stay here next season unless some top drawer club came in for him that he wouldn’t refuse. I think we all understood that. But then he’s joined Villa. Not quite the same thing, currently at least.

Pretty sure Emi Martinez’s post on Instagram of him with Buendia was a cryptic one aimed at the Villa fans now as he will have been well aware they all wanted Buendia to join them, so I expect Martinez to get some reception if he comes to Carrow Rd next season.

Jim, I’m assuming you believe Emi was very happy here and had no interest in moving? Therefore, could you explain why Farke kept him out of the team and disciplined him earlier in the season? Was it for good behaviour because he only wants to play for Norwich City?, or was it because he might just have felt we were holding him back against his will already a year ago or so? Well, I too think it’s because he couldn’t wait to apply himself 100% to the Norwich cause! 

3 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Judging from his comment about they ‘always wanted to leave’ after we’ve sold them, I think Jim honestly thinks that Norwich City is some football utopia, the dream pinnacle, to footballers around the world. We’re not. Only in very rare circumstances do we get a Darren Huckerby. Now there’s a guy who genuinely meant what he said about us.

And this is why though I blame Emi. He’s got peoples hopes up alluding to being happy to stay here next season unless some top drawer club came in for him that he wouldn’t refuse. I think we all understood that. But then he’s joined Villa. Not quite the same thing, currently at least.

Pretty sure Emi Martinez’s post on Instagram of him with Buendia was a cryptic one aimed at the Villa fans now as he will have been well aware they all wanted Buendia to join them, so I expect Martinez to get some reception if he comes to Carrow Rd next season.

Meh, it's the food chain innit. Villa are a bigger club, they stumped up the money. If Emi hadn't implied he was happy in Norfolk, he'd probably be accused of putting his own desires ahead of the club's. If he's on 80k a week and Villa have also persuaded Grealish to stay, they could well be next season's Leicester. I bear Emi no ill will and hope he goes on to be hugely successful, barring a shocking performance against us at Villa Park and a red mist moment at Carrow Road 🙂

12 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Meh, it's the food chain innit. Villa are a bigger club, they stumped up the money. If Emi hadn't implied he was happy in Norfolk, he'd probably be accused of putting his own desires ahead of the club's. If he's on 80k a week and Villa have also persuaded Grealish to stay, they could well be next season's Leicester. I bear Emi no ill will and hope he goes on to be hugely successful, barring a shocking performance against us at Villa Park and a red mist moment at Carrow Road 🙂

I must admit, I did think initially Villa was too much of a sideways step and really didn’t think it would happen, but it does seem when you look at the Ward-Prowse links etc that they’re ready to move things on to another level. And so in that case then some of us like myself will be stood corrected if he goes and wins the FA Cup next season and Villa grab a place in Europe. As you say, they could be next seasons Leicester. Or they might finish below us. Or we could be next seasons ‘Leicester’ with all these shiny new signings we’re going to be making this summer 😉😜

• Like 1

I must admit, I did think initially Villa was too much of a sideways step and really didn’t think it would happen, but it does seem when you look at the Ward-Prowse links etc that they’re ready to move things on to another level. And so in that case then some of us like myself will be stood corrected if he goes and wins the FA Cup next season and Villa grab a place in Europe. As you say, they could be next seasons Leicester. Or they might finish below us. Or we could be next seasons ‘Leicester’ with all these shiny new signings we’re going to be making this summer 😉😜

Look at that basket case Villa... Going to another level....sigh

Edited by Kenny Foggo

22 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Jim, I’m assuming you believe Emi was very happy here and had no interest in moving? Therefore, could you explain why Farke kept him out of the team and disciplined him earlier in the season? Was it for good behaviour because he only wants to play for Norwich City?, or was it because he might just have felt we were holding him back against his will already a year ago or so? Well, I too think it’s because he couldn’t wait to apply himself 100% to the Norwich cause! 

I think Emi, like most footballers is young and probably heavily influenced by his agent and advisers. I think he was happy at Norwich but like anyone probably also up for moving and significantly increasing his wages when told by his advisers they could get him a move, especially with the club making clear they would sell if they’re valuation was hit.

i suspect if denied a move he may have been unsettled for a while like last season but he’s hardly going to go on strike for 3 years when he can be playing premier league football at a club he has otherwise been happy at not least because he’d be further putting himself in the shop window. 

7 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

They move onto another level by signing players like Emi. We keep ourselves below that level by selling them. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I think Emi, like most footballers is young and probably heavily influenced by his agent and advisers. I think he was happy at Norwich but like anyone probably also up for moving and significantly increasing his wages when told by his advisers they could get him a move, especially with the club making clear they would sell if they’re valuation was hit.

i suspect if denied a move he may have been unsettled for a while like last season but he’s hardly going to go on strike for 3 years when he can be playing premier league football at a club he has otherwise been happy at not least because he’d be further putting himself in the shop window. 

Happy enough but not that happy enough unfortunately, Jim.

Reading between the lines, I can see that your answer to this was just to say to Emi ‘no, knuckle down, your ours’.

In an ideal world we could do that, but ultimately, in your heart of hearts, do you really think that’s fair? 

Happy enough but not that happy enough unfortunately, Jim.

Reading between the lines, I can see that your answer to this was just to say to Emi ‘no, knuckle down, your ours’.

In an ideal world we could do that, but ultimately, in your heart of hearts, do you really think that’s fair? 

Yes I do. He signed a 5 year deal. Perhaps once we’ve stayed up for a year or two it’s a bit different but right at this moment in time I think it would be fair and reasonable.

24 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

They move onto another level by signing players like Emi. We keep ourselves below that level by selling them. 

I suspect this summer that although we won’t be exactly spending £100mil or wotnot, we will still see Norwich City Football Club spend more on players than we’ve EVER done before in our history - and by some significant margin too. Don’t tell me that’s a step back.

We don’t have the benefactor that Villa have, but none of us can say we’re taking a step backwards just because we’ve sold Emi (and probably Max) until the first ball of the season is kicked with a bunch of new players that have been financed by such sales. Let’s see what we’ve got then, eh?

It could backfire, but it could also see us go to another level of spending AGAIN next summer if it all works out as the project appears to be doing. 

Edited by Alex Moss

4 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Yes I do. He signed a 5 year deal. Perhaps once we’ve stayed up for a year or two it’s a bit different but right at this moment in time I think it would be fair and reasonable.

You do know Emi signed his last contract, like most players, not to see out another 5 loyal years with us, but quite simply to increase his monthly wage?

Honestly pal, you don’t hold people back against their will. We’ve probably already done that for a season as it is. These are human beings, and one that’s already given us some great memories for several years as it is. Time to move on 👍

I may have been missing something but I have never read anything which says Emi Buendia was desperate to leave Norwich but of course, we have to realise that there is no loyalty in football and money talks louder than any words. If you were earning £20,000 a week and somewhere else offered £80,000 a week what would you do. In our worlds if you earn £700 a week and were offered £4,000 a week to do the same job you'd be lying if you said you stay where you are. Also the club has sold him for a lot of money. None of us know what is said behind the scenes. Stuart Webber and NCFC bought out the sell on clause to Getafe, they didn't do that on the off chance, they knew they would be selling him at some point and for big money.  The key is what they do with the money. If they spend it wisely and get say four players with it and we are a better team and survive then next May we will be saying Emi who?

Last year we were all saying Ben Godfrey was a crown jewel but having sold Lewis and Godfrey for £40 million  we bought Giannoulis and Gibson for £14 million. £26 million profit. Our defence is much better now than it was. If the club say Buendia has paid for the lost revenue because of Covid then we can all moan but lets wait and see. Come the first game lets see who we have at the club. If they dont spend the money on players having told us all the financial mess is all sorted then we are getting relegated. But Stuart Webber and the recruitment boys have done a great job. I suspect they knew last summer Emi was being sold so a replacement has probably been lined up.

Keep the faith

• Like 1

Well I wish the lad all the best, and just want to thank him for helping us get back to the Premiership, but one man does not make a team, and remember he was here the last time we were here and finished tailed off, so let's not shed too many tears, and lets look forward to some exciting new players coming in, and that will also be thanks to Emi for giving us the opportunity to strengthen the team through the cash from his sale

• Thanks 1

The deal breaker was probably £75,000 a week, could that be triple or more what he was on here? 99% of football players are not fans of any club they they play for and will always chase the money. 

Slight change of tact and not wanting to start a new thread but I do wonder if issues such as this once again brings Norwich any further up the interest list of prospective big money buyers that are out there ?

16 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

It's almost like they have something we don't to allow them to have these ambitions.

Can't think what though. Can't be money, plenty of people tell us those aren't correlated...