Uncle Fred

At least there is no need to sell anymore

13 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

So contracts only work one way?

Players look for long contracts then moan when someone is interested in them and their parent club tries to hold on to them.

I am not saying this applies to Emi but it appears he wanted out.

Sickening isn’t it. The player was happy to sign the contract and it works both ways as we found out with Naismith. He was more than happy to take the money and contribute nothing. If we can’t fight off bids form the likes of Villa for players under contract then there is little point in us being here in my opinion. Surely the point is to kick on and try to be a mid table team? But apparently we have to sell to them

Edited by Virtual reality

I'd be interested to know why Emi chose Villa. Hardly the club I'd've associated with him leaving for.

29 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

So contracts only work one way?

Players look for long contracts then moan when someone is interested in them and their parent club tries to hold on to them.

I am not saying this applies to Emi but it appears he wanted out.

I see your point about player power in contracts, but long contracts generally favour the club rather than the player, however.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wrathofthefarkely said:

You mean contracts don't matter? 

So explain how want away Zaha has remained at Palace? 

No one bid the money that it was agreed he could leave for. He's now being touted at £40m which they still won't get.

1 hour ago, K Lo said:

I'd be interested to know why Emi chose Villa. Hardly the club I'd've associated with him leaving for.

£80,000 a week. That's £4m a year. Plus bonuses. And no relegation scrap.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I see your point about player power in contracts, but long contracts generally favour the club rather than the player, however.

Precisely. Long contracts are what give us the reward for investing in youth. The alternative is potentially happening with Cantwell if we don't extend that contract as he could easily run it down and any interested team would have us in a bad position in negotiations.

9 hours ago, Indy said:

Personally as good as Aarons is, at least we do have a decent young player to take up the challenge in Mumba, thought he looked more than comfortable there the few times he played.

If he’s ready for the premiership is another question but we shall see.

I can only remember him playing one game at right back which was away at Preston when Max was rested. Can't remember Max missing any other games 

6 hours ago, sgncfc said:

And when you look at it as the amount you'd need to increase his wages by rather than his whole wage, the number is even lower.  Let's assume bumping his wages up would have cost us 2.5 million a year.  If that meant staying up and keeping Premier league money then it's money well spent 

9 minutes ago, Haus said:

And when you look at it as the amount you'd need to increase his wages by rather than his whole wage, the number is even lower.  Let's assume bumping his wages up would have cost us 2.5 million a year.  If that meant staying up and keeping Premier league money then it's money well spent 

A) How long do you think it would be before half the first team began knocking on Webber's door demanding a similar uptick? We have a 30 goal a season striker, one of the best young English fullbacks in the game, a Dutch international keeper who's simply got better and better for us, another young English midfielder who didn't look out of place in the PL last time etc. Are you honestly saying you think they don't deserve more but Emi does?

B) If wages were the ONLY reason, then you might have a point, but it's pretty clear it wasn't simply about wages, and even if it was, we can't afford to simply start paying 80k to our top players, that was lies financial instability and would take our transfer kitty away and put it into wages instead, and there's clearly upgrades and replacements needed that we're unlikely to get for free (Pukki notwithstanding).

so we signed him low sold him high

it happens

Emi wanted to move on he help get us promoted twice

now in a covid world 30m might be a long way

11 hours ago, Deptford Yellow said:

Max will go too ...

The combined proceeds allow for a significant first 11 refurb ...

The proof will be in the pudding next term ...

It sounds bad, but I actually hope we do sell Max. He was my preferred choice to leave, as it would be relatively inexpensive to find a more experienced replacement.

As it stands, we have approx. 45 million to spend, which is decent but we'll still be one of the lowest spenders in the league. If we can get 30 million for Max, 75 million gives us a proper opportunity to replace EB, MA (and possibly Skipp), as well as upgrading other areas of the squad.

Of course I love Max and would be more than happy for him to stay, however I can't help that feel we have a depleted squad and the lowest budget in the league.

48 minutes ago, Indy_Bones said:

A) How long do you think it would be before half the first team began knocking on Webber's door demanding a similar uptick? We have a 30 goal a season striker, one of the best young English fullbacks in the game, a Dutch international keeper who's simply got better and better for us, another young English midfielder who didn't look out of place in the PL last time etc. Are you honestly saying you think they don't deserve more but Emi does?

B) If wages were the ONLY reason, then you might have a point, but it's pretty clear it wasn't simply about wages, and even if it was, we can't afford to simply start paying 80k to our top players, that was lies financial instability and would take our transfer kitty away and put it into wages instead, and there's clearly upgrades and replacements needed that we're unlikely to get for free (Pukki notwithstanding).

How do other clubs get away with it?  Plenty of other teams have star players who's salaries outstrip the rest of the team by a big chunk.  

An extreme example, but Messi earns twice as much as the next Barcelona player.  This happens throughout football.  

9 hours ago, K Lo said:

As much as I don't like them (and think they should've been sent down after that VAR incident), they are actually on the right track.

Buendia and Grealish are excellent and Traore (7 goals, 7 assists) is also a decent player. Watkins is decent and they're rumored to be in for Tammy Abraham. Defensively, they're solid... even if their back four looks like they individually belong in the Championship. 

Additionally, they have been pretty ruthless with their youth recruitment in the past couple of years and actually just won the FA youth cup - the only team outside of the top six to win it since we did.

Aside from Villa showing progression, they may well have been the only club to have made a bid.

With Grealish, Emi and Watkins, Villa could get  top 8, that's why he's gone there. 

2 minutes ago, Wardogz said:

With Grealish, Emi and Watkins, Villa could get  top 8, that's why he's gone there. 

They're a destroyer short in defensive midfield, but definitely see them as a team more likely to be competing for a European spot than being our rivals at the wrong end of the table.

12 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

It’s all about who who comes in now, Webber has to pull off some very decent signings in the next couple of months. 

He won’t I doubt same as last time , maybe a few Germans from unknown teams 

48 minutes ago, Haus said:

How do other clubs get away with it?  Plenty of other teams have star players who's salaries outstrip the rest of the team by a big chunk.  

An extreme example, but Messi earns twice as much as the next Barcelona player.  This happens throughout football.  

But that doesn't mean the likes of Pukki, Krul, Cantwell, Gibson et al are going to think, "....no, I won't demand a wage rise comparable to the %tage Emi has got as this happens throughout football".

They'd all still expect to be given the same raise themselves. And rigntly so. You don't mark out one player in a squad and give him preferential treatment. Recipe for dischord and transfer requests. 

59 minutes ago, Haus said:

And Barca are financially  stable at the moment? It's exactly the kind of silliness that has got them in deep financial shoite.  

As an aside, Messi probably sells enough shirts to help cover his ridiculous wages....doesn't make it right though. 

57 minutes ago, Yellowhammer said:

They have to come from relatively well known teams, thanks to the new Brexit rules.

All of which makes Webber's job a lot harder. We're no longer able to use our knowledge of the lower leagues to find hidden gems. We now have to target internationals and players at clubs in the top tiers of Europe, which is where everyone else is looking.

1 hour ago, Yellowhammer said:

Yeah that Emi Buendia signing he made was such a waste, wasn't it?

Farke is on record as saying that we needed to be brave.

Selling Emi is brave and we might need to sell Max too if the right offer comes in.

If we are finding and developing young players and then selling them at a significant profit, then the model is working. 

I'm not trying to be contentious here, but many people are saying Emi wanted to leave. I honestly cannot recall anything being quoted that this is the case. Perhaps someone can provide a link to where he says he wants to leave? The only thing I recall him saying towards the end of the season is that he loves it at Norwich and really wants us to get promotion, not get promoted then I'm off.

18 hours ago, Uncle Fred said:

With the premier league money and the Emi money there is absolutely no need to sell any more of our stars

if this does happen then it’s proof absolute that there truly is no ambition from the stowmarket 2 

I suspect many more will go and surely this will finally unite the fans against the incompetent stowmarket 2 

I thought you were happy to drive Todd to the airport yourself? 😜

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, sgncfc said:

Yeah. That's a little be more than I was on when I was 24, even if you adjust for inflation.

9 hours ago, Haus said:

An extreme example, but Messi earns twice as much as the next Barcelona player.

That's what happens when you've been with the club for 20 years and won 6 Ballon D'or titles (and 5 runner up's), have scored 474 goals in 520 games, and have been regarded as one of the best 2 players in modern football throughout that time...

22 hours ago, Mr Tea said:

It’s going to be an interesting time.

All this anti Delia talk is in my opinion, silly.

Webber is the boss, he is the one saying yes and no.

Max will go but I do think it will be his choice. If a good offer comes along then we all know he has done his bit and the choice will be his. He may be happy to sit tight as now in the prem and we now we have a good wedge  coming in for Emi. Someone was going  to go.

Webber admitted he ‘sent DF into war with no gun’  well he now has a reasonable chunk to buy him several . If Max goes then he can buy quite a few.

For me I would happily swap Emi for some cash and buy Skippy but that’s not going to happen  but along those lines. 

Would Webber’s hand be forced if we could afford to financially compete at this level?

They always “wanted to leave” after we’ve sold them don’t they. He certainly wasn’t saying that three or four weeks ago in his interviews. Of course things change when your employer makes it clear they will sell you and you can massively increase his wages.

but ultimately he signed a 5 year contract. If Webber made a gentleman’s agreement with him regardless of what division we are in whilst he had 4 years remaining then frankly that’s ridiculous.

Same agent as the Villa keeper both Argentine friends 5 year contract £80,000 pw plus bonus what would you do?

33 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

They always “wanted to leave” after we’ve sold them don’t they. He certainly wasn’t saying that three or four weeks ago in his interviews. Of course things change when your employer makes it clear they will sell you and you can massively increase his wages.

but ultimately he signed a 5 year contract. If Webber made a gentleman’s agreement with him regardless of what division we are in whilst he had 4 years remaining then frankly that’s ridiculous.

How do you think it would have affected our bargaining position if Emi had said "I just want to get the title sewn up and then I'm out of here"? After his little outburst in the media at the start of the season, the club would surely have told him to toe the line if he wants his move.

In his most recent interview he said he wants to win the Champions League and the World Cup. He's 24 years old already. Join the dots.

5 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

How do you think it would have affected our bargaining position if Emi had said "I just want to get the title sewn up and then I'm out of here"? After his little outburst in the media at the start of the season, the club would surely have told him to toe the line if he wants his move.

In his most recent interview he said he wants to win the Champions League and the World Cup. He's 24 years old already. Join the dots.

Joining the dots he was under contract for 3 more years. This notion that the club can’t do anything if a player fancies a move (which it itself is not proven) is nonsense.