Sign in to follow this  
NFN FC

Godfrey starts

A poor England team - with players that Southgate hopes are good enough rather than knows. 
And in a terrible all blue kit that looks like a  sports direct quality polo shirt . 
And out of 5 right backs we play a centre back. 

I have a horrible feeling the Sweaties are rubbing their hands together . 

Edited by Graham Paddons Beard

Ben not looking a natural wingback. Arguably Max would have been a better choice if Southgate wants even more options in that position.

2 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Ward Prowse looking decent. I think he'd be the sensible selection with TAA's injury. 

If he's not in the squad, someone needs to give Gareth a good shake

2 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Jesus; we pick 27 right backs and somehow end up with a centre back playing there.

Although he's really a CDM anyway.....

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Greavsy said:

Makes perfect sense really. 

Imagine another right back, from the squad starting and getting injured before the Euros start. how many will be on here shouting about why he started etc. 

Ben is in the standby squad, so a good chance to shine. 

Its a win win.  

What's the point of a warm up game if you don't play members of the squad? So the player who starts at right back against Croatia hasn't played a full game now for almost a month. Barking mad.

12 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

What's the point of a warm up game if you don't play members of the squad? So the player who starts at right back against Croatia hasn't played a full game now for almost a month. Barking mad.

Some smart arris will say don't risk the starters. Mental I know, players are mostly fine with playing football,  as obvious as it may sound. They are treated like vintage classic cars nowadays, mustn't put mileage on em. Now I wouldn't risk someone who is recovering from injury etc but this lot'll be meeting each other for the first time at ko first game😅

32 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Been poor but he's not a rightback, so understandable.. 

Don’t tell Lakey that 😂

Mings is a thug and a massive liability for England. Should’ve been a pen against him last week - and with it a probable red card.

How Dunk missed out and Mings not only made the squad but will probably start next week - is mind boggling

Southgate needs to have a serious word with Henderson about that, poor and selfish behaviour. 

2 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Watching Mings reaffirms Villa could still be one of our rivals, especially if they lose Grealish.

Watching Mings play just makes me think 'If we don't get 6 points against them I'll be surprised'

Watching England regardless of the XI is always dull. Lack of cohesion and fragile mentality always seem to haunt them.

Ben did well enough out of position, but should have been in instead of Mings who was woeful. I know it sounds like terrible bias, but it is, so... 

White was okay, Shaw was poor, Phillips is a poor-man's Skipp. Henderson should have the captain's armband removed for that nonsense. Grealish is quality on the ball but could be even better if he stayed on his feet for five minutes. None of this is new information, though. 

Our first XI is going to do well, and we're absolutely laughing with our attacking players, but our backside is wooly. They remind me of us in the Prem. Need a bit of steel through the spine. 

40 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Watching Mings play just makes me think 'If we don't get 6 points against them I'll be surprised'

They do have a great new signing😀

Southgate has peaked as a manager for me. Doesn't know what formation he wants, doesn't know what players in what positions. So dependent on Harry Kane. Think we are in for a stuffing at the Euros.

1 hour ago, Evil Monkey said:

Grealish is quality on the ball but could be even better if he stayed on his feet for five minutes. 

How did England get the match winning penalty?

You're right though, he is quality. High quality.

Godfrey has played RB numerous times for Everton this season just gone so he wasn't really out of position. 

Happy for him to get his first start though, I'm sure he'll be with England again in the future.

As for the TAA replacement - on merit it should be Lingard but I'd understand if we take Ward-Prowse

3 hours ago, Evil Monkey said:

Ben did well enough out of position, but should have been in instead of Mings who was woeful. I know it sounds like terrible bias, but it is, so... 

White was okay, Shaw was poor, Phillips is a poor-man's Skipp. Henderson should have the captain's armband removed for that nonsense. Grealish is quality on the ball but could be even better if he stayed on his feet for five minutes. None of this is new information, though. 

Our first XI is going to do well, and we're absolutely laughing with our attacking players, but our backside is wooly. They remind me of us in the Prem. Need a bit of steel through the spine. 

'Grealish is quality on the ball but could be even better if he stayed on his feet for five minutes'

You know, worth bringing up the 'Most tackled and fouled player in the Prem' statistic? Like, when he first burst onto the scene yeah, I critisied him for going down, but watching it now teams clearly target him. he legit cannot go for more than 10 seconds on the ball without one of the oppisiton players trying to wipe him out. That's not on him, as I said- This happens in the Prem too. Honestly surprised he's not broke a leg or ankle yet, must be made of steel.

I will give him my support for just getting straight back up everytime and wanting to get back onto the ball too, so many players (Emi is a good example) after a tackle or two will just sit around on the floor moaning and shouting at the ref to book the player that took them out.. If you noticed Grealish hardly ever does that, he gets taken out then get's straight back up and get's on with it and Fair credit to him for doing so

Edited by cambridgeshire canary
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

'Grealish is quality on the ball but could be even better if he stayed on his feet for five minutes'

You know, worth bringing up the 'Most tackled and fouled player in the Prem' statistic? Like, when he first burst onto the scene yeah, I critisied him for going down, but watching it now teams clearly target him. he legit cannot go for more than 10 seconds on the ball without one of the oppisiton players trying to wipe him out. That's not on him, as I said- This happens in the Prem too. Honestly surprised he's not broke a leg or ankle yet, must be made of steel.

I will give him my support for just getting straight back up everytime and wanting to get back onto the ball too, so many players (Emi is a good example) after a tackle or two will just sit around on the floor moaning and shouting at the ref to book the player that took them out.. If you noticed Grealish hardly ever does that, he gets taken out then get's straight back up and get's on with it and Fair credit to him for doing so

Spot on. Grealish gets lumps kicked out of him every game for both Villa and England, more than any other player in the country I'd say, yet everyone moans at him for going down all the time. Maybe the solution would be to punish those fouling him all game? 

I have a lot of time for Grealish. I know he's a young lad who makes mistakes but a few years ago in the Brum derby when that fan ran on and thumped him, he could have made a real meal of that and it would have been really messy, but he got straight up and just carried on. I thought that was behaviour worth forgiving a few car crashes after a party he shouldn't have been at.

I hope he starts.

40 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I'd say the main reason he gets straight back up is to go hunting for the ref to insist he's been fouled. 

He does get fouled a lot, to be fair, but it's a little bit a case of the Boy Who Cried Wolves... The penalty tonight was one of those where we can kinda see why it was given, but if it was given AGAINST us we'd be crying merry hell*

Merry Hell, ironically, being a shopping centre in Birmingham. 

8 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Spot on. Grealish gets lumps kicked out of him every game for both Villa and England, more than any other player in the country I'd say, yet everyone moans at him for going down all the time. Maybe the solution would be to punish those fouling him all game? 

Grealish and players like him make it look a lot worse than it really is. Grealish is a master of a technique that guarantees he gets free kicks. He does it too much and it is embarrassing.  He just rolls a player and then goes down at the slightest touch. He makes the free kicks.  

Other players do it - It happens, but some players don't have the intelligence to know when to do it and when not to do it, but in Grealish's case, doing it too much makes him look stupid.  If he used his skill to ride tackles sometimes he might get more credit, but lacking moral fortitude he just thinks he can do it all the time. 

Emi, interestingly, seems to get fouled a lot, but that is usually genuinely because he is so quick at getting his foot to the ball before an opposition player.  Cantwell is similar to Grealish in his ability to get easy free kicks, but is better these days at staying on his feet and looks a lot better for it. 

Need to take two steps back here . Without Man City and Chelsea players this was a B team . Not Southgate's fault ... less than useless for him as preparation for the tournament.

Grealish had won me over . Seems to have grown up over the last year or so . A joy to watch now .

Mings ?? Just don't get it . With luck Gibbo will be pushing for a place this season . Gareth clearly has a lot of time for him . 

Also loved the way Mings couldn't even avoid falling over Grealish lying down behind the England wall 🙂