lake district canary

The players/staff must look on here with incredulity.

Hope you are correct Cuddles, that would be better but honestly I don’t see us spending £45m on transfer fees this summer, not even close and that’s without the Aaron’s expected money. Speaking of which, if we sold Emi for 75% of what the general consensus was of his value does that mean we brace ourselves for Max going at 20-25m in this covid climate. It’s only all relative if you spend the money in the same climate.

12 minutes ago, CDMullins said:

Lets be right that's the whole of our years recruitment.

Farhmann the fine GK hasn't played a professional game since, Amadou is playing at Angers, Drmic has banged 6 goals in, in Croatia, Duda had one good game and Roberts is struggling to get into Derby's team.

SW Webber's done some fantastic things, for sure.

But to hide behind (not you btw) "Webber has 1000x the football knowledge and transfer expertise than anyone on this forum who's spent the last 24 hours sulking like a spoilt child. Ill hedge my bets on his side." and that he's not open to criticism is ridiculous.

I never said hes not open to criticism but I stand by the fact id hedge my bets on his side vs any single poster on this forum.

Edited by hogesar

26 minutes ago, Son Ova Gunn said:

I actually sit in a grey area between the two camps but get annoyed when people refuse to even listen to each other and want to sensor any opinion not held by themselves.. wrong place to be I guess

I hear what you say my yellow brother. I stopped posting on here for a while as it starts to get quite annoying after a while and I end up snapping at posters. I've only come back to post because of Emi leaving and find it's much the same as I left it. Don't expect it to change. Too many long term posters with a complete and total lack of empathy and/or self awareness. If you can learn to not react to the extremes on either side, there are some good posters in the middle (Wolfy, King Canary and Sonyc to name a few).

OTBC

• Thanks 1

I dont think you should confuse passion and love for your team with negativity. Its a personality thing. If you love a player and they ge sold some fans are always going to be hurt by that. Just human emotion. We all take things differently.

Im surprised at how much this transfer has upset me. I cant put my finger on it. The fee is OK I suppose, we all accepted he would move on. Maybe its because its Villa again and someone we championed has once again decided Villa is their big move and perhaps we would be more accepting of a move to a truly big club.

I think its just a case of really liking a player and hurting that they've gone. I'll get over it. But the disappointing thing is I cant imagine signing anyone who will soften the blow. We could sign Messi or Ronaldo and I'd still miss the little guy

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, CDMullins said:

Lets be right that's the whole of our years recruitment.

Farhmann the fine GK hasn't played a professional game since, Amadou is playing at Angers, Drmic has banged 6 goals in, in Croatia, Duda had one good game and Roberts is struggling to get into Derby's team.

SW Webber's done some fantastic things, for sure.

But to hide behind (not you btw) "Webber has 1000x the football knowledge and transfer expertise than anyone on this forum who's spent the last 24 hours sulking like a spoilt child. Ill hedge my bets on his side." and that he's not open to criticism is ridiculous.

Of course he's open to criticism, I just fail to see anyone explaining their justification for the criticisms they are making of him in this instance. There seem to be two main complaints: that  we sold Buendia too cheaply, and that Buendia is indispensible to any chance of PL survival.

Regarding the first complaint, the fact is that no other team has come in to gazump Villa's offer. The reality is simple, a player's monetary worth is determined by what another team is prepared to pay for him.

Regarding the second complaint, it seems to me crazy to suggest any one particular player is indispensible. Buendia's presence was not enough to prevent demotion last time, and as much as I would have loved him to stay, it would have been no guarantee for PL survival this time. We were seriously undermanned in defence and midfield last time in the PL and that cost us dearly. If Buendia's sale enables us to acquire 3 quality players in those positions it is certainly arguable that the trade off might prove more advantageous to the overall squad's ability to retain PL status this time round. The truth is, of course, that none of us know how this will ultimately play out. But to be claiming that Buendia's sale is an act of surrender and lack of ambition just doesn't fit the facts.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

I dont think you should confuse passion and love for your team with negativity. Its a personality thing. If you love a player and they ge sold some fans are always going to be hurt by that. Just human emotion. We all take things differently.

Im surprised at how much this transfer has upset me. I cant put my finger on it. The fee is OK I suppose, we all accepted he would move on. Maybe its because its Villa again and someone we championed has once again decided Villa is their big move and perhaps we would be more accepting of a move to a truly big club.

I think its just a case of really liking a player and hurting that they've gone. I'll get over it. But the disappointing thing is I cant imagine signing anyone who will soften the blow. We could sign Messi or Ronaldo and I'd still miss the little guy

That's just it. Everyone totally gets 48 hours' grace to go through whatever style of personal mourning works best for them; I accept that selling players is an inevitable part of this model, but strike me blind if Emi wasn't the most remarkable mixture of talent, passion and never-give-up tracking back and getting stuck in that I've ever seen in the yellow and green. It hurts to sell him; it hurts more to sell him to Villa; and it hurts even more than that to get less than I think he's worth.

That doesn't stop me from trusting in the model, trusting in the people implementing it, and being optimistic that we will bring in quality players who fit our style, mentality and system for the season ahead. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Of course he's open to criticism, I just fail to see anyone explaining their justification for the criticisms they are making of him in this instance. There seem to be two main complaints: that  we sold Buendia too cheaply, and that Buendia is indispensible to any chance of PL survival.

Regarding the first complaint, the fact is that no other team has come in to gazump Villa's offer. The reality is simple, a player's monetary worth is determined by what another team is prepared to pay for him.

Regarding the second complaint, it seems to me crazy to suggest any one particular player is indispensible. Buendia's presence was not enough to prevent demotion last time, and as much as I would have loved him to stay, it would have been no guarantee for PL survival this time. We were seriously undermanned in defence and midfield last time in the PL and that cost us dearly. If Buendia's sale enables us to acquire 3 quality players in those positions it is certainly arguable that the trade off might prove more advantageous to the overall squad's ability to retain PL status this time round. The truth is, of course, that none of us know how this will ultimately play out. But to be claiming that Buendia's sale is an act of surrender and lack of ambition just doesn't fit the facts.

No other team matched our valuation (or did and our valuation was 33 plus add ons) so stick by what had been said and with no crazy offer from a top 6 club don’t sell. It’s too damn early in the summer to say we got best price. Also having just won promotion don’t start advertising the key players for sale at the ‘right price’ maybe.

the other point that he is indispensable I agree with, he isn’t and nobody is, if he had gone to a club in Europe competition for £40m+ then fine invest again and hope that the scouting network strikes gold again but it’s harder this time, we need prem ready quality and we wouldn’t be able to sign Emi this time due to brexit etc. To buy within our wage structure what we need is a mammoth task and our better chance was to play hard ball over Emi without breaking what was generally accepted as red lines over a bid acceptance.

29 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Regarding point 1: just looking at what we can get for the player today is a very simplistic way to look at it. It seems to assume that we had no choice but to sell. Clearly he'd be worth far more than 33m to us if we didn't sell him, and he'd be worth more in a year's time too, should selling make sense then. 

Selling a player who could easily be worth double his current value in a year or two's time, and also severely jeopardising our chances of staying up, when we didn't have to sell? That's just bad business. 

Regarding all the Webber is a genius commentary: It's not the skeptics who are flying in the face of conventional wisdom here. There's a reason most clubs don't sell their best player immediately upon getting promoted. I think it's actually pretty unprecedented. This is a bold (or foolhardy) move, and whilst I hope it works out, I really don't think it will. 

Edited by The Bunny

4 minutes ago, The Bunny said:

Regarding point 1: just looking at what we can get for the player today is a very simplistic way to look at it. It seems to assume that we had no choice but to sell. Clearly he'd be worth far more than 33m to us if we didn't sell him, and he'd be worth more in a year's time too, should selling make sense then. 

Selling a player who could easily be worth double his current value in a year or two's time, and also severely jeopardising our chances of staying up, when we didn't have to sell? That's just bad business. 

Regarding all the Webber is a genius commentary: It's not the skeptics who are flying in the face of conventional wisdom here. There's a reason most clubs don't sell their best player immediately upon getting promoted. I think it's actually pretty unprecedented. This is a bold (or foolhardy) move, and whilst I hope it works out, I really don't think it will. 

This is the sticking point in your post. Saying we don't need to sell financially is one thing, but holding on to a player who wants to leave never ends well.

If it transpires that Emi was happy to stay and we sold him anyway to finance player purchases, I would be astonished and pretty disgusted considering the price we got for him. If he asked to leave (as his behaviour and interviews over the last year suggest is most likely, in my estimation), then it makes sense to get the deal done ASAP and give us enough time to sign replacements.

35 minutes ago, horsefly said:

4 things for me.

The ridiculous decision to publicly announce that our starting price was £30 Million.

£33 Million to Aston Villa is too cheap - There not Athleti or Arsenal, we shouldn't be held over a barrel by Aston Villa. No suitable purchaser? Don't sell.

We've sold him to a club we should be competing against.

I have no confidence the money will be reinvested into making us stronger

4 hours ago, lake district canary said:

They probably don't look on here, but if they did, they would find some of the threads/comments hilarious. They must have a good laugh at the doomsayer threads which are so obviously trolling.

It's a bit sad too though, that there are those who just have it in their dna to troll a football forum as soon as something happens that they think they can exploit negatively. Presumably they do it to try and infect the rest of us with their negativity.  Some people succumb to it quite readily - those that are just glass half empty people anyway and so be it, but whether you are positive or negative about the club, we can all surely see the trolling for the ridiculous childishness that it is and those that only turn up when there is something they can try to put a bad slant on about the club.

The more rational amongst us can see the bigger picture, that losing Emi, although a blow, is a temporary blow - we'll move on, as we did after Maddison went and after Godfrey went and after Lewis went, each time upgrading the team to a better quality.  That is the truth of it and the players know that - its just a pity that the forum looks like a troll's playground at times like this and makes for embarrassing reading for anyone looking in.

Bless you Lakey. Whilst we have you preaching to us all , our souls are in safe hands 😇 

Bet they laughed when somebody posted we could finish in the top 4 and qualify for the Champions league. Bet they also laughed when bookmakers had us at 1/100 to get promoted and somebody posted we may not go up.

For all your positivity it does not bode well if you think the best player we have ever produced ( probably ) will only sit on the bench at Villa. Doesn’t say a lot for the rest of our squad, but personally I don’t agree and think we will be fine. Unfortunately against what you preach money does talk and very few players in the long run would not demand a move if their salaries were being doubled or trebled.

Still available at Evens to get relegated with SkyBet. It’s a double your money opportunity. Price hasn’t changed despite the Emi news. I know gambling isn’t everyone’s cup of tea but for everyone convinced of the incoming doom, this isn’t gambling. Pay off your mortgage time. 👍

Debate requires difference of opinion. In life I am a positive person but I do tend to post on here when frustrated rather than upbeat-  I think some use forums to vent -  which makes the forum police aggressive. It’s sometimes frustrating when, instead of giving a good counter argument, the usual culprits just make personal attacks because they don’t like what you are saying/ don’t think you are in the clique

• Like 1

Some folks honestly believe that they are better fans than others . It was ever thus. 

Two of my fav responses are “get over it” and “go and support another team” - both equally cretinous. 

The idea that supporting norwich is a well thought out logical decision makes me laugh . Anyone that really did that isn't a real fan.

Edited by Graham Paddons Beard
  • Like 1

On 06/06/2021 at 15:16, lake district canary said:

They probably don't look on here, but if they did, they would find some of the threads/comments hilarious. They must have a good laugh at the doomsayer threads which are so obviously trolling.

It's a bit sad too though, that there are those who just have it in their dna to troll a football forum as soon as something happens that they think they can exploit negatively. Presumably they do it to try and infect the rest of us with their negativity.  Some people succumb to it quite readily - those that are just glass half empty people anyway and so be it, but whether you are positive or negative about the club, we can all surely see the trolling for the ridiculous childishness that it is and those that only turn up when there is something they can try to put a bad slant on about the club.

The more rational amongst us can see the bigger picture, that losing Emi, although a blow, is a temporary blow - we'll move on, as we did after Maddison went and after Godfrey went and after Lewis went, each time upgrading the team to a better quality.  That is the truth of it and the players know that - its just a pity that the forum looks like a troll's playground at times like this and makes for embarrassing reading for anyone looking in.

I usually try and avoid your particular brand of contrarion horse**** but the lack of self awareness in this post is just too much to resist.

'The more rational amongst us' says the man who predicted we'd finish 4th two seasons ago.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Son Ova Gunn said:

Connors article just up on pink in site says 15m of the transfer will go into the transfer pot. I can’t tell you it’s fact but would assume he knows a bit better than most posters here and history tells us this is the Norwich norm so tend to accept it at face value. I actually sit in a grey area between the two camps but get annoyed when people refuse to even listen to each other and want to sensor any opinion not held by themselves.. wrong place to be I guess

Yeah I noticed that quote and couldn't quite work out if it meant what you say here or what @CanaryCuddles says further down the thread. I'd be genuinely shocked if it meant we could only add another £15m to the budget.

21 hours ago, hogesar said:

I never said hes not open to criticism but I stand by the fact id hedge my bets on his side vs any single poster on this forum.

I've mentioned this before but the 'Webber/Farke/Glenn Roeder knows more about football than you do' answer generally does come across as just shutting down debate. 

6 minutes ago, king canary said:

I've mentioned this before but the 'Webber/Farke/Glenn Roeder knows more about football than you do' answer generally does come across as just shutting down debate. 

I only tend to use it when people aren't really debating but talking as if their opinions are fact and they do know better. It's one of those things. Do I trust Webber to be doing the right thing, with his history in football, proven track record and what he's done for us so far; or Steve from Norwich who sells fish on a wednesday in Dereham marketplace?

Certainly, before people speak with such determination about them being correct they should always consider the above. No different to in professional life, if I think someone is wrong in my industry I make sure to know their background before I call them out on it - if they have 20 years more experience in the field than me then maybe it's me who's wrong?

Anyone biting Webber's head off right now without sight of where this transfer is taking us is being unreasonable. But the same must be said for people already holding this transfer up as fantastic business. There is plenty of both on here at the minute.

Just now, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Anyone biting Webber's head off right now without sight of where this transfer is taking us is being unreasonable. But the same must be said for people already holding this transfer up as fantastic business. There is plenty of both on here at the minute.

Agree here. Considering that he had openly said we might have to sell a crown jewel to get the transfer kitty, I see it as "someone who's got a plan at least and is going to have a heck of a go at working that plan". If he gets it to stick and gets the players he's after, and then those players produce the goods, he's going to get a heck of a lot of plaudits.

At the moment, the best thing you can say is he's clearly going hard at it to deliver what he promises, but at the moment it is potential and no more.

4 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Correct. It's only a terrible decision if we end up weaker for it next season. It's only fantastic business if it enables us to strengthen in multiple positions on the pitch and make us more competitive.

32 minutes ago, king canary said:

I usually try and avoid your particular brand of contrarion horse**** but the lack of self awareness in this post is just too much to resist.

'The more rational amongst us' says the man who predicted we'd finish 4th two seasons ago.

Yawn. Yet again, I didn't predict that, I said there was nothing stopping us from aiming high and that 4th place was possible. That is not predicting, it is stating an aim. I do wish people would read stuff properly and try to understand what is being said. 

9 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Debate requires difference of opinion. In life I am a positive person but I do tend to post on here when frustrated rather than upbeat-  I think some use forums to vent -  which makes the forum police aggressive. It’s sometimes frustrating when, instead of giving a good counter argument, the usual culprits just make personal attacks because they don’t like what you are saying/ don’t think you are in the clique

With you on this one, DCB. I know we seldom see eye to eye on things, but some people tend to make so little latitude for differences of opinion that it does tend to stifle healthy debate. Now more than ever we need to be pulling together as fans; we've all missed so much over the last 18 months, it's easy to overlook we've just won the title and are preparing for another tilt at the PL and - get this - we might actually be allowed in the stadium!

• Like 2

On 06/06/2021 at 15:16, lake district canary said:

Agree Lakey.

12 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

There isn’t a clique on this message-board. There was on the club’s message-board, which was very much to its detriment and was partly responsible for it being shut down.

I get that people look at Villa and say why on earth would you go to Villa! Well if the wages are true, £75 k a week is ridiculous and I’m not surprised a player with little ambition to win trophies would jump on that! Emi was fantastic for us, took us up twice which he helped us earn £250 million, now we make a clear £25 million + profit on him too.

The club had a figure, the players head was turned by the money and that’s football! We move on.

While I’ll always be thankful to have seen Buendia probably at his best, I’ll certainly not be clapping him if I see him at Carrow Road again, he’s a Villa player who jumped for the money. Pretty much the norm these days. For my opinion he’ll be under lots of pressure to perform being such a high profile signing, given his temperament, it might not suit him too well, not that I wish him any ill I just think he might rue this move, especially if they sell Grealish and he becomes the main focal point.

We move on and we all react to Emi in our own manner in the future, players come, players go, the way of the world. We wait for our next Wessi to sign.

Edited by Indy

34 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

There isn’t a clique on this message-board. There was on the club’s message-board, which was very much to its detriment and was partly responsible for it being shut down.

How dare you…. Never a clique on the official forum…..😉 It was actually very good for a period of time till we hit 2009 then certainly took a downturn with the club, certainly clamping down on the chat. It was good with some very good people.

Edited by Indy