Sign in to follow this  
Tom NCFC

Worthy's Contract!

I don''t really understand his contract? What is a Rolling contract? I know he''s on it for one year and it benefits his pocket but thats about it!

[quote user="Tom_NCFC"]I don''t really understand his contract? What is a Rolling contract? I know he''s on it for one year and it benefits his pocket but thats about it![/quote]

Well Tom, the team keep getting ''rolled over'', and the board allow Worthy to keep rollin'' along.......;~)

Ok. Sit comfortably.

A contract is either at will or for a fixed term.  At will means it is indefinite so it carries on for as long as the parties want it to.  Most employment contracts are in that form.  You get a job and then work until either you or your employer end the contract.  Apart from the long stop of retirement, no end date is specified.

A fixed term contract is just that.  A contract running for a fixed period which will expire when its time is up.  Earnshaw recently signed a 3 1/2 year fixed term contract for example.  A contract can be fixed in other ways say to complete a specific task such as a construction project.

When Earnie''s time is up, the contract comes to an end.  Hence the Bosman rules enabling a player at the end of his contract to move clubs without a fee.

A rolling contract takes several forms and I obviously don''t know specifically what is in Mr Worthington''s but in general they follow the principle that there is a fixed term which in this case we know is 12 months.  The rolling part of the contract is that it is renewed every day.  So, each day, Mr W wakes to a new contract every morning and has 12 months fixed term employment guaranteed to him as he makes Mrs W her morning cuppa.  Having a 12 month long new contract every morning means that he is employed indefinately and always has 12 months'' notice.   If things stay as they are then in 3 years time, Earnie would have 6 months left on his contract and Mr W would still be entitled to 12 months'' notice.

From the Club''s point of view, their liabilty if they sack him is always limited to 12 months and they tie him to them more permanently than with a fixed term contract.   A 5 year contract terminated after a year could lead to a claim for losses over the outstanding 4 years.  The practical result is probably little different to a normal employment contract with a 12 month notice period.  It is seen as more secure to have a rolling contract but opinions do vary on whether they are really worth the bother.  Given that football is obsessed with fixed term contracts, using rolling contracts is a logical development.  I seem to remember reading that Sir Alex has one.

I hope that helps.  I normally charge £175 per hour plus vat for legal advice but I''ll waive all fees if everyone (both of you!!!) who finish this post are nice to another poster in your next message

So what you are saying is that by having a 12 month rolling contract, the club always know how much the pay-off will be if they sack him, whereas a fixed term might mean paying him more (or possibly less) money? Some sceptics on this board will probably say that it makes more sense just giving him a fixed term because the board will never sack him [:)]

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

[quote user="Tom_NCFC"]I don''t really understand his contract? What is a Rolling contract? I know he''s on it for one year and it benefits his pocket but thats about it![/quote]

Well Tom, the team keep getting ''rolled over'', and the board allow Worthy to keep rollin'' along.......;~)

[/quote]only until the whip-crackaway!wouldn''t expect to find much moss on worthy either.

[quote user="BUC in Padova"]So what you are saying is that by having a 12 month rolling contract, the club always know how much the pay-off will be if they sack him, whereas a fixed term might mean paying him more (or possibly less) money? Some sceptics on this board will probably say that it makes more sense just giving him a fixed term because the board will never sack him [:)][/quote]

For some reason the reply did not come out. on the last posting

Yes you are exactly right.  If Mr W had been given a five year contract on promotion then we would now be looking at a contract with three years to run.

The rolling contract puts a ceiling on the club''s liability in the event of termination and also fixes its losses in the event that another club poaches him (many posters will dream on at that thought).  It gives both sides certainty and some security.

Credit where it''s due.  This was a good move by Mr Doncaster or whoever to protect the club and be fair to the manager