Sign in to follow this  
A Load of Squit

The first time you got upset when we sold a player.

When growing up, and being easily upset by football (Euro ‘96), it was Eadie as he was my idol and first name I had put on the back of a city shirt.

But more recently, and the most annoyed, frustrated, disappointed and generally peed off I could be, was when Lambert left us.

He did so much for the club (and we him) and thought we were really onto something in the PL. High energy, didn’t look out of place at all, exciting football, plenty of goals and a bit of money being spent.... All undone by his ruthless ambitious streak (that went well didn’t it) and our subsequent failings in initial transfer business and then Hughtons failings to improve us as an attacking threat after a season of defensive consolidation.

Its taken a sporting director, a head coach from abroad and a complete transformation in our footballing philosophy to recover from Lamberts departure. Oh what could have been.

However wouldn’t change a thing now, little did I know that someone would come along and be even better for the club than Mr 1p5wich ‘they were triffic’ himself.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Fiery Zac said:

When growing up, and being easily upset by football (Euro ‘96), it was Eadie as he was my idol and first name I had put on the back of a city shirt.

But more recently, and the most annoyed, frustrated, disappointed and generally peed off I could be, was when Lambert left us.

He did so much for the club (and we him) and thought we were really onto something in the PL. High energy, didn’t look out of place at all, exciting football, plenty of goals and a bit of money being spent.... All undone by his ruthless ambitious streak (that went well didn’t it) and our subsequent failings in initial transfer business and then Hughtons failings to improve us as an attacking threat after a season of defensive consolidation.

Its taken a sporting director, a head coach from abroad and a complete transformation in our footballing philosophy to recover from Lamberts departure. Oh what could have been.

However wouldn’t change a thing now, little did I know that someone would come along and be even better for the club than Mr 1p5wich ‘they were triffic’ himself.

I always wondered what actually happened with Lambert, was it all his ambition to go to Villa or was something else going on?

They were good years but as soon as he went he became irrelevant IMO. Since then he’s been a resounding failure and after the plummet we took we’ve recovered under new leadership magnificently. I don’t wish for what might have been but I do wonder what the real story was.

6 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

I always wondered what actually happened with Lambert, was it all his ambition to go to Villa or was something else going on?

They were good years but as soon as he went he became irrelevant IMO. Since then he’s been a resounding failure and after the plummet we took we’ve recovered under new leadership magnificently. I don’t wish for what might have been but I do wonder what the real story was.

I agree I wouldn’t change a thing as had he not left maybe we wouldn’t now have Webber and Farke. But at the time I was devastated, he had been a revelation and brought exciting football back for the first time in years. Wasn’t just PL football we achieved, it was PL football that we looked at home being part of.

As for him actually leaving. I think he realised he probably couldn’t replicate what he’d achieved for another season in the PL. His stock was high and the money needed to take us up another level wasn’t there. Villa (them again) were a bigger club (though in a terrible financial situation) and he couldn’t leave quick enough.

Just now, Fiery Zac said:

I agree I wouldn’t change a thing as had he not left maybe we wouldn’t now have Webber and Farke. But at the time I was devastated, he had been a revelation and brought exciting football back for the first time in years. Wasn’t just PL football we achieved, it was PL football that we looked at home being part of.

As for him actually leaving. I think he realised he probably couldn’t replicate what he’d achieved for another season in the PL. His stock was high and the money needed to take us up another level wasn’t there. Villa (them again) were a bigger club (though in a terrible financial situation) and he couldn’t leave quick enough.

Yea same, gutted at the time, especially with what we got immediately after, but with benefit of hindsight wouldn’t swap where we are now for the unknown of if he hadn’t left.

It’s just like you say, Villa at the time were in dire financial position so he wasn’t going somewhere really worth jumping ship for it seemed and that turned out correct. Maybe it was all about a payday for him, I just wonder if it was slightly more interesting than that.

Ruel Fox I think, Id just got his name and number on the back of my shirt. After that I only ever got the number, not the player name.

Was upset about Sutton but pleased to have sold for a record fee. Selling Eadie broke my heart. Was gutted when we sold Ashton. Genuinely thought he was the new Shearer.

Other transfers pissed me off too, like when we reportedly rejected a £4m bid from Newcastle for Keth O'Neill only for him to go later for £750,000.

Sure there are others that made me cry when I was a kid but those are the ones off the top of my head!

Can’t say any player sales before this week had me genuinely upset at the club as could understand the reasons behind them, closest would be Lambert, although not a player it was in my opinion a sideways move to a club on a downward spiral and we were becoming established. Bellamy tickled a little and was first hero

Ron Davies who we gave away to Southampton for £40000 less than Newcastle paid for Wynn Davies a few weeks earlier. Wynn wasn’t fit to lace Ron’s boots.

Kevin Reeves . 

I was 15 and totally devastated in a way I haven’t ever quite been since . 

First cut is the deepest . 

• Like 1

Justin Fashanu to Forest.

At least we'll not have any worries for some time about them poaching any of our players ! Maybe just offload some of those that don't make it here.

8 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

When was it?

For me it was Kevin Reeves, I was in my 10th year as a supporter and quite a few had moved on before but selling him to Man City was, at the time, terrible.

Absolutely. The same for me.

No Reeves, no fans, no future was the banner I recall seeing.

Doesn’t make losing Emi any easier though!!

Eadie, Bellamy, Lambo leaving at the time was a bitter pill, the treatment of Huckerby, Grant Holt, Hoolahan.

Was also disappointed in Robert Green and Howson. 

Was pleased for Godfrey earlier this season as he got a great move to Everton. Jamal I was a bit surprised about jumping ship to Newcastle but understood it was better to let him go than lose Emi, Cantwell or Max. I think that's why with Emi it's just that bit harder to understand as I thought he would do better than Villa

Robert Green

Was my favourite player straight from his debut till the very last game and the reason why I played in goal growing up. (even trying to mimic certain ways of saving shots etc) 

Absolutely heartbroken at first but  then found myself having a kind of cult following for Paul Gallacher afterwards so my pain was eased......... Slightly 😂

9 hours ago, Pockthorpe said:

Kevin Reeves . 

I was 15 and totally devastated in a way I haven’t ever quite been since . 

First cut is the deepest . 

We must be the same age Pock! 

• Like 1

Chris Sutton for me to. I was around 10 so old enough to understand the game but not really no the politics of the club and what was going on. Just remember Eric Openshaw aka Chase spouting some nonsense on why he was sold and hated him from that day forward

Edited by Ekoku: The Ambassador Of The People