Sign in to follow this  
A Load of Squit

The first time you got upset when we sold a player.

When was it?

For me it was Kevin Reeves, I was in my 10th year as a supporter and quite a few had moved on before but selling him to Man City was, at the time, terrible.

• Like 2

I was slightly miffed when we sold Sutton to Blackburn for 5 mil,  but the first time I was truly upset was when Eadie left for Leicester, I genuinely felt he would have been England's answer to the left-sided problem, with pace to burn and a keen finisher as well, but injuries sadly stopped all that.

The first time I ever had a name put on the back of the shirt it was Eadie's on the classic 'Egg N Cress/Canary Droppings' design, loved watching him play and didn't really get the same excitement from others in that position probably until we brought Hucks in some years later.

• Like 1

Chris Sutton for me.

Which is what I guess will be the equivalent to Emi for our younger supporters too. 

Sutton for me, and indeed I got hacked to the point I wrote a letter to the club and Robert Chase clearly thought he'd put the word "Sham" in my name as a very patronising response.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

When was it?

For me it was Kevin Reeves, I was in my 10th year as a supporter and quite a few had moved on before but selling him to Man City was, at the time, terrible.

Ditto for me, I was 8 at the time and was at his last game at Carrow Road, still remember the atmosphere and the continuous chant of Reeves in , South Out ringing round the ground and the dejected look on his face as he left the pitch at the end. The crowd was so angry at the end that many stormed back over the old bank leading upto the old River end to demonstrate against the sale back inside the ground as there was no fence at that end. Just goes to show we have always survived on selling our best players and sadly that will remain the way. Have to admit losing Emi to Villa ranks amongst the most disappointing sales since Reeves and Sutton, if he had gone to a big club it would of felt less galling.

Ted MacDougal.  "We'll never survive in Division 1 without him".  But John Bond found a way... 

57 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

When was it?

Mine too…..not only did they get Reeves, then Bond **** off there and took his son there too! 

Edited by Indy

It would be easy for me to say Sutton, I was 12 when he was sold for a record £5m. It certainly grew to be one I was the most upset with because it came to essentially signify the fire-sale of that side. Others soon followed like Fox and Bowen. It was the start to the end of that era I guess, and a premature one. So Sutton certainly hurt more with time and even now makes me seethe at how poorly Chase ran the club to have to sell an inexpensive squad to make up for his mistakes and how people argue how great he was and accuse MWJ and DS from essentially worse than him... That one will never not be bitter for me.

After that I am with Indy. Eadie. Eadie is an absolute legend. And I am happy to admit that I was also just as devastated watching the Leicester game in a pub, seeing him get injured, an injury that would rule him out of playing for England. A quality, quality player - if you have had the chance to watch a legends game with him and Huckerby in the side together, it gives you a real opportunity to see the two are on a very similar level.

After that I would say Bellamy to a lesser extent. People got upset about Green but as a goalkeeper, I wasn't as fussed - thats just me though. I think of recent years it was probably Howson. I felt he would have been a good player to hang on to, especially from that squad - he was easily the best. But in fairness, he hasn't been hugely missed so perhaps I was jaded by the many good memories he had been part of. And under Farke I soon moved on.

Maddison - not really. He'd been treated atrociously by Neil in many ways. Many felt, including myself, that he could have been brought into the squad sooner. It would appear that Farke felt the same. We had a season out of him. Not long enough for me to get super upset about.

I guess by now, having seen this sort of thing happen before so many times, I dissect and reflect quicker and weigh it all up. I get people's frustrations and pain at seeing top players go, but in the modern age of football - that's just how it is. Unless fans all get together and push for real change in the game, it's also how it'll continue to be.

• Like 1

Not a player sold but... hucks saga. 

Followed by Ashton. Dont know why but just got to me.

49 minutes ago, chicken said:

It would be easy for me to say Sutton, I was 12 when he was sold for a record £5m. It certainly grew to be one I was the most upset with because it came to essentially signify the fire-sale of that side. Others soon followed like Fox and Bowen. It was the start to the end of that era I guess, and a premature one. So Sutton certainly hurt more with time and even now makes me seethe at how poorly Chase ran the club to have to sell an inexpensive squad to make up for his mistakes and how people argue how great he was and accuse MWJ and DS from essentially worse than him... That one will never not be bitter for me.

After that I am with Indy. Eadie. Eadie is an absolute legend. And I am happy to admit that I was also just as devastated watching the Leicester game in a pub, seeing him get injured, an injury that would rule him out of playing for England. A quality, quality player - if you have had the chance to watch a legends game with him and Huckerby in the side together, it gives you a real opportunity to see the two are on a very similar level.

After that I would say Bellamy to a lesser extent. People got upset about Green but as a goalkeeper, I wasn't as fussed - thats just me though. I think of recent years it was probably Howson. I felt he would have been a good player to hang on to, especially from that squad - he was easily the best. But in fairness, he hasn't been hugely missed so perhaps I was jaded by the many good memories he had been part of. And under Farke I soon moved on.

Maddison - not really. He'd been treated atrociously by Neil in many ways. Many felt, including myself, that he could have been brought into the squad sooner. It would appear that Farke felt the same. We had a season out of him. Not long enough for me to get super upset about.

I guess by now, having seen this sort of thing happen before so many times, I dissect and reflect quicker and weigh it all up. I get people's frustrations and pain at seeing top players go, but in the modern age of football - that's just how it is. Unless fans all get together and push for real change in the game, it's also how it'll continue to be.

All of this.

Sutton (followed by most of the rest of that team), Eadie, Bellamy and Ashton for me. All absolutely excellent players. 

I've never really been the type to get upset by player departures as I've usually been able to understand why it's happening but the Grant/Roeder seasons were somethine else. I remember a month where we sold Earnshaw, Etuhu and Safri seemingly to fund loans. That was petty upsetting.

Dean Ashton. Back then I was a kid and didn't understand anything about finances or the concept of player power. I thought decisions like that were 100% the managers choice like in a football manager game so I remember thinking Worthy was an idiot for selling him.

2 hours ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

Kevin Drinkell, 1988. He was my first NCFC hero. Gutted.

OTBC

I remember finding out we sold him when on a bus and seeing the headline on an EDP as outside a newsagents. Simpler times. Robert Fleck was my hero and so sad he left but then we had our best ever season

Hugh Curran. I was 9 and couldn't understand why we had sold our best player. On reflection, it prepared me for the rest of my life 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

When was it?

Have to agree. When John Bond went to Man City and took Reeves with him I was infuriated. Just Googled it and realised I was only 8 at the time 😆.

• Like 1

I think it was Hucks for me. Early 90s I was too young and late 90s I wasn't particularly upset by any of them, although losing Eadie and Bellamy obviously sacked, I didn't get too bothered by it.

Hucks was an absolute sledgehammer blow because he was so good, and moreover so bloody loyal to norwich. He didn't deserve that and that we never even got a chance to say goodbye made it more of a sickener.

Edited by kick it off