Sign in to follow this  
TeemuVanBasten

Olise/Pereira/Armstrong/Fry/Skipp/Grimes

Anybody else excited about who we may see incoming now? 

We've been a team for too long which is far too over-reliant on a single talisman, and our dominance of the Championship was a bit misleading as we had the best player in the league masking the fact that we've also got some pretty poor and bang average players in our squad.

Bringing in 3 or 4 quality players now could leave us in a better place post-Buendia.

Let the rebuild commence. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

We've been a team for too long which is far too over-reliant on a single talisman, and our dominance of the Championship was a bit misleading as we had the best player in the league masking the fact that we've also got some pretty poor and bang average players in our squad.

Bringing in 3 or 4 quality players now could leave us in a better place post-Buendia.

Seems like someone has converted to the " model"( your use of quotation marks,  I seem to recall)that they had trouble  with a while back. Welcome  aboard  TvB. 

Olise, Pereira, Skipp and Armstrong would be a good return on losing Buendia. 

Not sure who Fry is, the Middlesbrough lad maybe? But not heard a link with us. 

Grimes, not for me. 

Absolutely, @TeemuVanBasten. Webber will know full well that fans will be extremely concerned at the timing of such a sale, and I happen to think he's a long way in negotiations for at least one player if not two early on as a reinforcement (note I use "reinforcement" and not "replacement") to let that sale go ahead.

Another thing is that it should encourage the likes of Cantwell and Dowell, relatively speaking, to step out of the shadows. Often, we've looked like a side that is discombobulated without Emi yet with the technical ability those two have, we shouldn't be.

2 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Seems like someone has converted to the " model"( your use of quotation marks,  I seem to recall)that they had trouble  with a while back. Welcome  aboard  TvB. 

Well as long as the 'model' involves us attempting to finance a general all-round squad upgrade and means we don't have to take a punt on cheap Germans this time, then yes, I can see the potential for this to be a good thing. 

Like the Maddison sale, but hopefully with a bit less gambling. 

What people are perhaps not considering is that its a buyers market due to the football financial crisis. It does mean getting £35m instead of £50m for Buendia, but it also means that people holding cash (like us right now) can stalk our prey and grab some bargains.

It is the perfect time to try and have a rebuild and general upgrade in quality in the wider squad, and it makes sense to cash in on a player to finance that. I'd have chosen Aarons over Emi, but if we have a war chest of £60m now it will never go further than it will right now in this environment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’d be very happy if we get Skipp on loan, but really can’t see any of the others being in our budget. Pereira would be a great signing for the reported 15 million but rumours are Brighton and Leeds front runners.
Where we might now struggle is in the EU market, we made some great shrewd signings which now we can’t thanks to the new permit issues, so we will be subject to the inflated UK market place.

Actually hope we use the money to get a side more suited to prem survival. Yes the football has been pleasant on the eye and sure I don't want to go full hughton but the last couple of prem seasons we have been far too brittle to make a good fist of it.

Ajer, Skipp back on loan, Fry would go some way to getting a more combative side and the likes of Pereira, Olise, Elliott, Armstrong are all capable of making the step up to the prem.

3 minutes ago, Indy said:

Pereira would be a great signing for the reported 15 million but rumours are Brighton and Leeds front runners.

Olise is another option.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tetteys Jig said:

Actually hope we use the money to get a side more suited to prem survival. Yes the football has been pleasant on the eye and sure I don't want to go full hughton but the last couple of prem seasons we have been far too brittle to make a good fist of it.

Ajer, Skipp back on loan, Fry would go some way to getting a more combative side and the likes of Pereira, Olise, Elliott, Armstrong are all capable of making the step up to the prem.

I’m still of the opinion Ajer would be a great signing for us, decent age, decent value and potential to really strengthen our squad in two positions.

3 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

Actually hope we use the money to get a side more suited to prem survival.

Exactly, this needs to happen.

The likes of Zimmermann, Rupp, Hugill, Placheta are not Premier League quality, we needed to fund a general uplift in quality and if we need to sell a player to contribute to the pot then so be it.

Its like the Maddison situation, we had to sell to assemble a group capable of promotion. Now we need to do it to assemble a group capable of giving Premier League survival a decent shot.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 3

Just now, TeemuVanBasten said:

Olise is another option.

Yes but I seem to remember Reading saying he’ll only be leaving for the same value we’ve just got for Buendia?

13 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Am decidedly pessimistic, although am trying my best to reserve judgement.

That said, I remember the last game Emi missed in the championship - can't remember against who. I was sure we were going to lose.  Instead, we gave the most clear cut example of dominant Farke-ball I'd seen, and that was with NO Emi, so perhaps I should stop peeing in my pants and keep the faith.

Just now, Indy said:

Yes but I seem to remember Reading saying he’ll only be leaving for the same value we’ve just got for Buendia?

They never outright denied that he had an £8m release clause,.

2 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

They never outright denied that he had an £8m release clause,.

Pretty sure if that was the case he’d be here or somewhere in the premiership by now! Hope you’re right, would have thought Webber might have had someone ready to appease the fans! Who knows by the end of next week we might all be pleasantly surprised.

Edited by Indy

4 minutes ago, Orly said:

Am decidedly pessimistic, although am trying my best to reserve judgement.

That said, I remember the last game Emi missed in the championship - can't remember against who. I was sure we were going to lose.  Instead, we gave the most clear cut example of dominant Farke-ball I'd seen, and that was with NO Emi, so perhaps I should stop peeing in my pants and keep the faith.

That was the Forest match.

• Thanks 1

Wouldn't expect Pereira based off a rumour from TeamTalk - generally the least reliable of all the rumour sites. I would still expect most new players to come from outside of England. Work permit rules will make it almost impossible to sign players from leagues like 2. Bundesliga, but makes it easier for many players who are non-EU if they play in a top league.

I don't expect anything to happen too soon - I think the Emi sale happened earlier than Webber had anticipated so don't think there is anything ready for Norwich to activate quicker.

• Like 1

No guarantees in terms of how transfers will turn out of course, but got to think Emi leaving was no surprise to the club so they have had plenty of time to put a strategy in place and assess potential signings.

Unlike last time we went up when we weren't ready and weren't prepared to spend really hoping we can get some decent business done

38 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Well as long as the 'model' involves us attempting to finance a general all-round squad upgrade and means we don't have to take a punt on cheap Germans this time, then yes, I can see the potential for this to be a good thing. 

Like the Maddison sale, but hopefully with a bit less gambling. 

What people are perhaps not considering is that its a buyers market due to the football financial crisis. It does mean getting £35m instead of £50m for Buendia, but it also means that people holding cash (like us right now) can stalk our prey and grab some bargains.

It is the perfect time to try and have a rebuild and general upgrade in quality in the wider squad, and it makes sense to cash in on a player to finance that. I'd have chosen Aarons over Emi, but if we have a war chest of £60m now it will never go further than it will right now in this environment.

You can be forgiven for initial  scepticism 😇, but some of those cheap germans came in , stabilised the squad, mostly showed a professional attitude  and probably provided DF with a standard of 'minimum acceptable  professionalism ' which would have made his job easier  to combine double training sessions alongside the overhaul of all things city. Cameron Jerome couldn't handle it and was allowed to leave, just one of those who fell by the wayside as City underwent a 'Root and Branch ' realignment.  

That's one of the things I like best about DF.....Velvet glove,  Iron fist.

Edited by wcorkcanary

29 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

The likes of Zimmermann, Rupp, Hugill, Placheta are not Premier League quality, we needed to fund a general uplift in quality and if we need to sell a player to contribute to the pot then so be it.

Its like the Maddison situation, we had to sell to assemble a group capable of promotion. Now we need to do it to assemble a group capable of giving Premier League survival a decent shot.

Placheta is Premier Inn Quality , I'll have you know.

3 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

You can be forgiven for initial  scepticism 😇, but some of those cheap germans came in , stabilised the squad, mostly showed a professional attitude  and probably provided DF with a standard of 'minimum acceptable  professionalism ' which would have made his job easier  to combine double training sessions alongside the overhaul of all things city. Cameron Jerome couldn't handle it and was allowed to leave, just one of those who fell by the wayside as City underwent a 'Root and Branch ' realignment.  

Tgats one of the things I like best about DF.....Velvet glove,  Iron fist.

Yep, Farke's a master of being personable and a player's manager until you stop following / fully investing in his methods. Then he's diplomatic but ruthless, and very good at keeping the rest of the team happy.

Reminds me of the quip that "the art of management is keeping those who hate you away from those who are undecided". Chuck in his consistently excellent timing of when young players are ready to play a decent role for us and indeed develop, and I'm perfectly happy with saying, even at this point in time, he's been our best manager since at least Lambert, and probably Walker.

Edited by TheGunnShow

1 minute ago, wcorkcanary said:

Placheta is Premier Inn Quality , I'll have you know.

More Britannia Hotels in any hum drum once glorious seaside resort if you ask me. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Virtual reality said:

I too wouldn’t be surprised to see Barry Fry brought in. That’s one wide player sorted 

Not much will get past him in the defensive midfield role

4 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

More Britannia Hotels in any hum drum once glorious seaside resort if you ask me. 

If you are referring to 'Great' Yarmouth,  I think that's a little harsh on Placheta  as he at least keeps himself clean and well presented. 

10 minutes ago, Ward 3 said:

Not much will get past him in the defensive midfield role

He’ll probably be announced along side Benson and Hedge’s

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Rupp could make the step up. 

When fit at the start of the season he was better than skipp. 

4 minutes ago, Wrathofthefarkely said:

Rupp could make the step up. 

When fit at the start of the season he was better than skipp. 

Agreed, Rupp's definitely earned a crack at it. Big difference now he's settled in the team and not actually playing in Buendia's position!

I still reckon Placheta's going to do a Cantwell in terms of potentially being better suited to the Premier League. Running around tight, low blocks isn't easy for speedsters. He'd do better if we were on the counter more than on the front foot, so he's very much a Plan B for me.