9 hours ago, Helsinki canary said:

Afraid Finland have nothing in the bag and Pukki looks well off the pace

Looked unfit to me . The ankle looked strapped under the sock. A worry . 

19 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Looked unfit to me . The ankle looked strapped under the sock. A worry . 

Didn't notice it, but could be just a precautionary measure. Atleast he insisted his ankle was fine, but that he wasn't fully fit because of break from playing due to injury. But yeah, it is a possibility it has gotten worse or it never fully healed. I'm not particularily worried for next season, though.

1 hour ago, Upo said:

Belgium really, really were going out of their way to offer Finland a draw in that game. It was not a competitive match from Belgium's part. I challenge anyone to look at how Belgium played that match and not call it borderline unsportsmanlike vs Denmark. I felt embarrassed for both sides.

I know it was very hot there, which affected their game, but Finland didn't look particularily motivated either. I wonder if they just assumed Belgium would draw on purpose. Which I suppose is precisely what Belgium was doing, until Finland's GK unluckily fumbled the ball in. At that point Belgium still left its defence open and if Finland had any business progressing in this tournament, it should have been more aggressive and scored.

Teemu's tournament has been somewhat disappointing. He's definitely not been in form, but it's not all his fault. It's difficult to make anything happen when you don't have the ball. Norwich should take notes.

Yes, and you could see also see that "let's give Finland a draw" attitude from their pre-match comments as well, like Lukaku giving an
interview where he told that they will do everything possible against Finland to help Denmark to go through as support to Eriksen.. 🙄

But I take that it was just some smoke cloud to hide their real intention to help Finland go through by not trying to win at all? 
I am sure that it all was also due to the direct and strict command given by the lizard race that is ruling the earth with their mind control powers..

10 minutes ago, hepphep said:

Yes, and you could see also see that "let's give Finland a draw" attitude from their pre-match comments as well, like Lukaku giving an
interview where he told that they will do everything possible against Finland to help Denmark to go through as support to Eriksen.. 🙄

But I take that it was just some smoke cloud to hide their real intention to help Finland go through by not trying to win at all? 
I am sure that it all was also due to the direct and strict command given by the lizard race that is ruling the earth with their mind control powers..

With Denmark being favored against Russia, would they have been positioned for 3rd place spot?

Regardless of pre-match commentary or anything else, Belgium just wasn't playing. There was no show of disappointment when their goal was disallowed or when they didn't get a penalty kick. No yellows. Players shooting into the stands - laughing afterwards - or half-hearted efforts straight at the GK. They were ok with drawing. Finland was ok with Belgium not playing. It was a friendly, until Belgium decided to put it to rest. I got the feeling Finland wasn't particularily upset about it either. And they still have very small chance of progressing.

Now that I think about it, Finland was probably at its last legs after grueling Russia and Denmark games. I watched them and they really played like they deserved 2 points out of those games. They got 3. Overall, a very satisfactory tournament for Finland.

2 hours ago, Upo said:

Belgium really, really were going out of their way to offer Finland a draw in that game. It was not a competitive match from Belgium's part. I challenge anyone to look at how Belgium played that match and not call it borderline unsportsmanlike vs Denmark. I felt embarrassed for both sides.

I know it was very hot there, which affected their game, but Finland didn't look particularily motivated either. I wonder if they just assumed Belgium would draw on purpose. Which I suppose is precisely what Belgium was doing, until Finland's GK unluckily fumbled the ball in. At that point Belgium still left its defence open and if Finland had any business progressing in this tournament, it should have been more aggressive and scored.

Teemu's tournament has been somewhat disappointing. He's definitely not been in form, but it's not all his fault. It's difficult to make anything happen when you don't have the ball. Norwich should take notes.

I dunno about that. Finlands keeper pulled off some terrific saves before his misfortune. Sure they probably weren't at their most intense safely knowing they were basically through already but they were still solid.

maybe tonight would be one to take the shackles out, play the flair players and go for it safe in the knowledge that if it doesn't come off its not the end of the world? A few goals and a 3-0 win would do us the power of good for confidence

15 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

I dunno about that. Finlands keeper pulled off some terrific saves before his misfortune. Sure they probably weren't at their most intense safely knowing they were basically through already but they were still solid.

Hradecky did a couple of brilliant saves and has been standout performer for Finland.

I don't know whether there was some kind of gentleman's agreement between Finland and Belgium that they'd go easy and Denmark would progress. It is certainly possible. Denmark is a good team, clearly the 2nd best in group. We will never know this for certain, but it is a possibility.

If this was the case, I have to really respect the players on both sides and will obviously withdraw all objections and criticism.

Edited by Upo

1 minute ago, Upo said:

Hradecky did a couple of brilliant saves and has been standout performer for Finland.

I don't know whether there was some kind of gentleman's agreement between Finland and Belgium that they'd go easy and Denmark would progress. It is certainly possible. Denmark is a good team, clearly the 2nd best in group. We will never know this for certain, but it is a possibility.

If this was the case, I have to really respect the players on both sides and will obviously withdraw all objections and criticism.

I don't think so. Belgium probably just weren't quite mentally at full tilt as they'd already qualified, and Finland's MO, as it was throughout the three matches, was very much to keep things as tight as possible and try to get a counter or set piece to stick. Net result was always likely to be a game where one team wasn't quite pushing as hard as usual, and the other team didn't really have the capability.

Then throw in a Denmark side faced with their last chance after dominating against Finland but not scoring, and giving Belgium a fright before falling short - and facing a very average Russian side that was one of the weakest teams in the whole shebang. On home turf to boot. With the motivation of doing it for their stricken talisman who'd collapsed in such dramatic circumstances in the first game.

Occam's Razor tells me this is straight-up legit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Upo said:

Considering the possibility of "contextual explanations" for the display of both teams, I withdraw this criticism. In particular with regards to Denmark - because the objective would *not* have been a draw to give Belgium a favored opponent in the quarter finals as I had suspected.

3 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

I don't think so. Belgium probably just weren't quite mentally at full tilt as they'd already qualified, and Finland's MO, as it was throughout the three matches, was very much to keep things as tight as possible and try to get a counter or set piece to stick. Net result was always likely to be a game where one team wasn't quite pushing as hard as usual, and the other team didn't really have the capability.

Then throw in a Denmark side faced with their last chance after dominating against Finland but not scoring, and giving Belgium a fright before falling short - and facing a very average Russian side that was one of the weakest teams in the whole shebang. On home turf to boot. With the motivation of doing it for their stricken talisman who'd collapsed in such dramatic circumstances in the first game.

Occam's Razor tells me this is straight-up legit.

Reasonable points perhaps, but I watched the whole match. Belgium's defence was not tight, though not terrible either. It was their offense that for me made it clear they weren't really playing until the 2nd half in a couple situations. Finland also just wasn't trying to progress that hard. It is understandable that they'd play for a draw, but after being scored on? You'd expect some reaction.

Denmark is not under any scrutiny here. They've played excellently and although I do think Finland deserved a draw against Denmark, the match simply should have been postponed or declared a draw under extreme circumstances.

Just now, Upo said:

Reasonable points perhaps, but I watched the whole match. Belgium's defence was not tight, though not terrible either. It was their offense that for me made it clear they weren't really playing until the 2nd half in a couple situations. Finland also just wasn't trying to progress that hard. It is understandable that they'd play for a draw, but after being scored on? You'd expect some reaction.

Denmark is not under any scrutiny here. They've played excellently and although I do think Finland deserved a draw against Denmark, the match simply should have been postponed or declared a draw under extreme circumstances.

I wouldn't expect a team that had already qualified to go absolutely flat-out. Belgium's defence is, relatively speaking, their weak link too in that their best defenders are about two years past their best whilst the rest of the team is pretty much at its peak. Finland were trying to counter, but when they lost to Russia there was no real cavalry charge to turn it around, they stayed pretty methodical - and that Russia defence was dire.

You just saw the difference between one of Europe's top sides and a makeweight in these competitions. That's all.

Just now, TheGunnShow said:

I wouldn't expect a team that had already qualified to go absolutely flat-out. Belgium's defence is, relatively speaking, their weak link too in that their best defenders are about two years past their best whilst the rest of the team is pretty much at its peak. Finland were trying to counter, but when they lost to Russia there was no real cavalry charge to turn it around, they stayed pretty methodical - and that Russia defence was dire.

You just saw the difference between one of Europe's top sides and a makeweight in these competitions. That's all.

Fair points, but again, I watched Belgium basically give away the ball at Finland's end or shooting into the stands or easy efforts at  Hradecky - with a couple notable exceptions, including that brilliant save. No complaints at not getting penalty kick, no sign of frustration at off-side? No yellows. Few tackles. Finland was not playing 100% either, which is kind of weird to say against an overwhelming opposition. Thought it was due to exhaustion, but may have been other reasons... Some of Teemu's decisions were a bit uncharacteristic, though that may be because of that ankle.

Regardless of the reason, it was a friendly. Both were ok with the result. Plenty of relaxed smiles in Finland's side. I'm fine with it now that I consider Denmark's position.

12 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Pukki hasn't looked particularly fit all season but being in the Championship with better players against weaker opposition he's got through. I'm wondering if he can be good enough next season. We can't write him off but I feel we must have backup and real competition. 

He’s clearly not 100% yet and will have a chance to recharge his batteries now, but if you’re inferring that because he hasn’t had a goal laden tournament then he needs replacing, well, Pukki will only score goals if he’s given the service. Pretty sure you put any of the tournaments top scorers up front for Finland and they too will likely have ended the group stages on zero goals. No question we need another goal scorer regardless, but Pukki isn’t totally to blame for the lack of Finland goals. I thought they’d be a bit braver this tournament than they were.

seems like Mount and Chilwell would be back for round 2 if we come top but not if we come 2nd or 3rd then...

Totally bizarre set of rules in my view. Was gilmour not in close contact with his own teammates or something?

Was it really just a long chat in the tunnel with Mount and Chilwell or maybe closer contact 😉 (jk BTW just in case...)

3 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

seems like Mount and Chilwell would be back for round 2 if we come top but not if we come 2nd or 3rd then...

Totally bizarre set of rules in my view. Was gilmour not in close contact with his own teammates or something?

Was it really just a long chat in the tunnel with Mount and Chilwell or maybe closer contact 😉 (jk BTW just in case...)

I think it relates to Mount and Chilwell not being in the same "bubble" as Gilmour, which his Scottish teammates obviously are. There is also the differing rules about being outside and inside. 

5 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I think it relates to Mount and Chilwell not being in the same "bubble" as Gilmour, which his Scottish teammates obviously are. There is also the differing rules about being outside and inside. 

hmm, I've heard and understood the explanation as such... It just doesn't really wash with me.

Only thing I can see from England's perspective is that maybe taking these precautions with Mount and Chillwell could prevent a worse problem down the line as far as the squad is concerned should one of them come up positive in the next few days. It kind of helps we can "do without them" for the time being as well. Imagine it was Ronaldo for Portugal in a knockout game?

From a public health perspective, it appears baffling.

Edit: to follow this up, I wonder what Croatia must be thinking about it all? They've got to play Scotland with these risks which could hamper them should they beat Scotland and qualify. 

Edited by Tetteys Jig

42 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

It's still a total nonsense though; Mount and Chilwell both gave Gilmour a hug after the game, have since tested negative but have to isolate.

Lyndon Dykes gave Gilmour a hug after the game, has since tested negative (as well as sharing a dressing room with him) but is fine to go about his daily business.

Bubbles or not, this doesn't really follow any real logic. In fact, you would've thought that those inside the bubble are more at risk.

27 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

It's still a total nonsense though; Mount and Chilwell both gave Gilmour a hug after the game, have since tested negative but have to isolate.

Lyndon Dykes gave Gilmour a hug after the game, has since tested negative (as well as sharing a dressing room with him) but is fine to go about his daily business.

Bubbles or not, this doesn't really follow any real logic. In fact, you would've thought that those inside the bubble are more at risk.

The Covid rules on this make no sense and are completely bonkers. If Mount and Chilwell have to self isolate for 10 days despite not testing positive then the Scotland players who’ve had even more exposure to Gilmour should be in EXACTLY the same boat. It’s a total nonsense.

Scotland adopting the Baccara song really works due to the phrase "Boogie, boogie woogie" sounding brilliant when pronounced in a Scottish accent. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

6 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

The Covid rules on this make no sense and are completely bonkers. If Mount and Chilwell have to self isolate for 10 days despite not testing positive then the Scotland players who’ve had even more exposure to Gilmour should be in EXACTLY the same boat. It’s a total nonsense.

It seems as if no one is really forcing England to make them isolate, just England are making that decision themselves based on the risk that it can take a few days for tests to be able to pick up if someone is infected or not. Public Health England have said it was England's decision to move the Mount and Chilwell away from the rest of the team. 

Looks like it is just England being overly cautious on this one, but maybe not the worst idea as it stops any potential infection spreading throughout the rest of the team. 

I love me a conspiracy theory: is forcing Mount to self isolate a way of Southgate saving face in starting Grealish against the Czechs? Certainly convenient, but Sterling would be the player I’d drop not Mount.

14 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

It seems as if no one is really forcing England to make them isolate, just England are making that decision themselves based on the risk that it can take a few days for tests to be able to pick up if someone is infected or not. Public Health England have said it was England's decision to move the Mount and Chilwell away from the rest of the team. 

Looks like it is just England being overly cautious on this one, but maybe not the worst idea as it stops any potential infection spreading throughout the rest of the team. 

Then armed with that information, that’s a completely different kettle of fish altogether, Bethnal! I can see why England are therefore doing it, however I and it seems others wrongly assumed this had been legislated by UEFA or something!

Compared to others, they are pretty lucky to have been able to play for the last few months.

I don't see what the problem is that they should isolate.

13 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Compared to others, they are pretty lucky to have been able to play for the last few months.

I don't see what the problem is that they should isolate.

Privileged footballers? Surely not! 

As I've said before different rules for football..