Sign in to follow this  
Hardhouse44

A feeling of sadness

I’m not going to get in to a slagging match with the club. 

My underlying feeling right now is one of sadness. I think the real problem is even if we push the boat out spending wise this season, and we all know that won’t mean spending stupid money, you can’t replace a player like Emi.

They are once in a life time players for fans like us. So yes sadness at the loss of a hero, a great player, a bringer of such joy and happiness and pride. 😢

Edited by Hardhouse44
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Hardhouse44 said:

My underlying feeling right now is one of sadness. I think the real problem is even if we push the boat out spending wise this season, and we all know that won’t mean spending stupid money, you can’t replace a player like Emi.

They are once in a life time players for fans like us. So yes sadness at the loss of a hero, a great player, a bringer of such joy and happiness and pride. 😢

Disappointment is my overarching emotion. I really thought we'd keep him this season to give us the best crack at staying up and then sell him next year, wherever we ended up. Naive of me I know.

OTBC

1 hour ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

Disappointment is my overarching emotion. I really thought we'd keep him this season to give us the best crack at staying up and then sell him next year, wherever we ended up. Naive of me I know.

OTBC

Is it Naive? Most clubs on gaining promotion to the Premiership don’t immediately sell their best player. Yes if we hadn’t gone up. Yes I we go straight back down. But not now.

Can you see Brentford selling Toney, I can’t!

• Like 1

You couldn't replace Wes either.

You couldn't replace Maddison.

We can't replace Emi Buendia.

They are all unique special players, but that doesn't mean that we can't sign the next great talisman. 

Brighton have Trossard, West Brom had Periera, there are plenty of talented playmakers out there.

Madison was a once in a life time player and he was replaced by Buendia so though disappointed, it does open the door for another to step through

4 minutes ago, Hardhouse44 said:

Is it Naive? Most clubs on gaining promotion to the Premiership don’t immediately sell their best player. Yes if we hadn’t gone up. Yes I we go straight back down. But not now.

Can you see Brentford selling Toney, I can’t!

People keep banging on about Ivan Toney and Brentford, but the blokes only been there 12 months or something, having not played a single minute of Premier League football for them previously. His adventure is only just starting with them so it’s not comparable at all especially as he said even if Brentford didn’t get promoted then he would be happy to stay for another season. Buendia on the other hand has blatantly been pushing for this for some time now, and that’s why our hand was forced. It’s not the same scenario so not comparable.

16 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

You couldn't replace Wes either.

You couldn't replace Maddison.

We can't replace Emi Buendia.

They are all unique special players, but that doesn't mean that we can't sign the next great talisman. 

Brighton have Trossard, West Brom had Periera, there are plenty of talented playmakers out there.

It's not the fact we've sold him - that was always going to happen - it's the timing. Selling our best player before our latest crack at the top league doesn't sit well with me. I thought we were trying to build on previous seasons, push forward,  if even in small steps. I can't see how you do that by selling your very best, in a key position, before the season begins; the dovetailing between Pukki and Emi has been a massive part of our success in recent years.

Sell him at the end of the season - no issues at all. 

OTBC

It's perfectly understandable - and the comparison to the grieving process seems a pretty good one - to be sad and frustrated when such a talismanic player leaves considering the enjoyment we have had over the years watching him. I'll also understand concerns about our sporting perspectives and the notion of who will replace him / what will the team look like in his absence. However, the quarters cursing the model / our circumstances are the ones who, IMO, are letting their passions rule their heads and giving way to panic.

Our model for developing youngsters is essentially how we got Buendia. It's a tribute to his development and our coaching that we turned over a £30m profit in over three years. We replaced £40m of talent in Godfrey and Lewis with two - of now - better defenders in Gibson and Giannoulis. Now I doubt we'll find anyone in Buendia's stratosphere right away. But I do think we can get two or three players with that to make the team more durable and robust, possibly improve depth slightly, and also be a bit less reliant on one player for moments with that X factor.

Now, more than ever, is the time not to panic but have faith in the process.

1 minute ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

And that there is the problem I feel.

That Emi wanted out at the end of last season, and that we convinced him to stay with the promise that it would be the last year. 

So what do you do if that was the case, go back on your word?

6 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

That Emi wanted out at the end of last season, and that we convinced him to stay with the promise that it would be the last year. 

This point was raised but no one who objected wanted to debate it on the basis that there was no evidence that we made such an agreement. I suppose the denial that this very likely scenario was in place helped their argument that we just sold our best player against his will or something, and thus allowed for nice old beat down on the club! 

2 hours ago, Hardhouse44 said:

Sell the portrait,  buy enough quality paint to re do the house. 

4 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Hello Teemu,

IF we did promise him that, then we should of course stick to our word.

However, personally, I don't think that's something we should have ever said to him. Either his contract means something or it doesn't - when you sign a contract, isn't that the ultimate sign that two parties have 'given their word' to each other?  It's not like we are lingering in the Championship for another year, we went up, to the same division the team he's leaving us for is in. 

It seems players can throw their toys out of the pram and go when they like these days. Guess I'm just getting old. 

OTBC

6 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Sell the portrait,  buy enough quality paint to re do the house. 

Hello Corky,

I really liked that portrait though; it fitted in really well with the one on my wall from my favourite Finnish artist.

Hopefully, we won't buy dog sh*t brown paint.

OTBC

Edited by Disco Dales Jockstrap
  • Like 1

I liked the portrait  just fine too. Trouble is , so did wealthier art lovers. 

Good job we have Banksy as our manager  and another street mona lisa should appear right on cue. 

30 minutes ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

It's not the fact we've sold him - that was always going to happen - it's the timing. Selling our best player before our latest crack at the top league doesn't sit well with me. I thought we were trying to build on previous seasons, push forward,  if even in small steps. I can't see how you do that by selling your very best, in a key position, before the season begins; the dovetailing between Pukki and Emi has been a massive part of our success in recent years.

OTBC

You've got to think if the club could have kept him for another season they surely would have. Webber won't be blind to the issues this creates.

It all goes back to whatever deal they made with Emi last season. And if he had gone then we would surely be in a worse position than we are now?

15 minutes ago, CanaryCuddles said:

You've got to think if the club could have kept him for another season they surely would have. Webber won't be blind to the issues this creates.

It all goes back to whatever deal they made with Emi last season. And if he had gone then we would surely be in a worse position than we are now?

Hang on weren’t we told by the club and Webber himself that no bids came in for Emi in the transfer window prior to the start of the season? So where else would he have been.

1 hour ago, Mello Yello said:

Who cares?......We're going to be absolutely minted.....FACT!

We'll still have a smaller budget than most PL clubs.

If we sell Aarons too then we'll have a bigger budget than a quarter of the league.

52 minutes ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

Hello Teemu,

IF we did promise him that, then we should of course stick to our word.

However, personally, I don't think that's something we should have ever said to him. Either his contract means something or it doesn't - when you sign a contract, isn't that the ultimate sign that two parties have 'given their word' to each other?  It's not like we are lingering in the Championship for another year, we went up, to the same division the team he's leaving us for is in. 

It seems players can throw their toys out of the pram and go when they like these days. Guess I'm just getting old. 

OTBC

Right, so when there is 1 year left on that contract, and the club decides they want to sell to get a fee rather than lose for free, the club isn't keeping their word? And you'd be completely fine with a player refusing all moves because they want to become a free agent to maximise their signing on fee?

It works both ways doesn't it. 

So you'd be fine if Emi Buendia had run that contract down and left for £0?

Just now, TeemuVanBasten said:

Right, so when there is 1 year left on that contract, and the club decides they want to sell to get a fee rather than lose for free, the club isn't keeping their word? And you'd be completely fine with a player refusing all moves because they want to become a free agent to maximise their signing on fee?

It works both ways doesn't it. 

So you'd be fine if Emi Buendia had run that contract down and left for £0?

If he wants to do that, it's his right; my happiness/unhappiness about it doesn't come into it. He's got a contract with the club which we must honour if he didn't want to move - otherwise what's the point of even having contacts? Might as well just have a free for all and have teams buying and selling on a daily basis; we'd have a different team every week. It would certainly be interesting.

OTBC

Wes, Maddison and now Buendia. Has the 1st team improved, are we in a better place with the1st team? No we are selling to stand still and keep the owners in their place. Even the much lauded training facilities were bought by the fans. Do we want to improve the 1st team... I don't think he owners are that bothered..top 26! Job done.

29 minutes ago, Yellow and Green said:

We'll still have a smaller budget than most PL clubs.

If we sell Aarons too then we'll have a bigger budget than a quarter of the league.

Loadsamoney.......Think of the interest that'll be accrued......

5 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Wes, Maddison and now Buendia. Has the 1st team improved, are we in a better place with the1st team? No we are selling to stand still and keep the owners in their place. Even the much lauded training facilities were bought by the fans. Do we want to improve the 1st team... I don't think he owners are that bothered..top 26! Job done.

Not improved since Maddison left? We finished 14th, sold him and then won the league and replaced with Emi. 

And Wes is 39, think we should still be playing him then? Ffs. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

. Even the much lauded training facilities were bought by the fans.

Not true.  Loan repaid with good interest. win/ win situation. Got no probs with  people having issues with how the club is run... but stick to the truth please. You look silly otherwise. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Not improved since Maddison left? We finished 14th, sold him and then won the league and replaced with Emi. 

And Wes is 39, think we should still be playing him then? Ffs. 

Since we last got promoted is the 1st better? Simple question. I'd say no at this moment. 100%. That was the promise... ffs indeed..

8 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Not true.  Loan repaid with good interest. win/ win situation. Got no probs with  people having issues with how the club is run... but stick to the truth please. You look silly otherwise. 

So we can loan money for a building but not a player... it was fans 100% that funded it and got repaid. Thanks

3 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Since we last got promoted is the 1st better? Simple question. I'd say no at this moment. 100%. That was the promise... ffs indeed..

How about judging the squad once we've conducted the majority of our business for the window? All you're doing is throwing your toys out the pram because of one sale right at the start of the window. Can you not just wait a few weeks to see what actually happens?

1 minute ago, Kenny Foggo said:

So we can loan money for a building but not a player... it was fans 100% that funded it and got repaid. Thanks

Of course,  are you daft, property is one of thexsafest investments. It would be a massive gamble to propose the same scheme to finance a player......would you buy in? I wouldn't, but I'd have bought into the training  ground scheme if all my money wasn't tied up in batshoitecrazycoin. 

Just now, Feedthewolf said:

How about judging the squad once we've conducted the majority of our business for the window? All you're doing is throwing your toys out the pram because of one sale right at the start of the window. Can you not just wait a few weeks to see what actually happens?

See my post above wolfo...answers your question  perfectly.