Sign in to follow this  
CanaryLegend

Morale of The Squad After Fire Sale

Can’t be great after this sale of Emi. A team who should be on a high, won the league and back in the promise land.

If the fans are feeling put out and deflated by Emi’s departure to a team who less face it were almost relegated last season then imagine the players left. Do they even question their own ability and talent that they haven’t left either?

We have now lost our two best players from last year in Skipp and Buendia with Aaron’s almost certain to leave. The team begins to look very ordinary to say the least. Emi was a real talisman and creative spark  involved in most of our goals.

It surely makes other players with any talent and ambition to jump ship like Aaron’s and Cantwell and not a good omen to attract talent.

What other team has come up and started the season with a firesale??

Emi at £33m was sold cheap and under value. How does Webber justify and say this was too good to turn down. He was the best player we have ever had. 

Edited by CanaryLegend
  • Haha 2

It's a good point, I can't believe many of the players or staff will be happy with the news. Webber really needs to pull off some miracles this window in terms of bringing in some outstanding quality to plug the holes left but Skipp and Buendia. 2 Premier League players who will cost at least £30million to fill, most likely more if you're after the same level of experience and quality. I know it's a club record but the transfer fee will not cover the cost of losing Emi's talent, you can't replace that easily or cheaply.

That all being said, Webber and Farke did an outstanding job of improving the squad despite losing Godfrey and Jamal last time around, if they can do it again then fair play to them. Only they know what potential deals are in the pipeline for us, getting the funds in quickly from Emi's sale might be the important factor

Edited by AJ

God this board is lame. "Firesale". No, a firesale would have been to flog them all off on the cheap when we got relegated. But we managed to keep our stars and return to the Prem. 

The impact of Covid gave us another year with Emi - be grateful we had him for as long as we did

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

How do you define a "fire sale", as this wouldn't suit my definition at all. 

And I doubt the squad is the slightest bit shocked by Emi leaving, and I'm surprised any fans are - been little tid bits from him over the course of the season which hinted that he wanted out. Thought it was pretty easy to add 2+2 and come out with 4, and that we'd settled him down early last season by committing to selling him this summer. Doing so undoubtedly won us the league last season.

Its not an ideal situation, and I'm gutted that its Villa as think he could have done better for himself, but I'm struggling to understand why Norwich fans are shocked or surprised.

• Like 6

Firesale is selling assets off cheaply to avoid bankruptcy so ok poetic licence with last bit come on let’s wake up and smell the coffee. Name another club who get promoted and sell the crown Jewell’s.

Also imagine us replacing the talent? People’s costs have just gone up when we come knocking on the door? Mattheus Perreira for £15m now we got £33m - no chance!!

7 minutes ago, AJ said:

It's a good point, I can't believe many of the players or staff will be happy with the news. Webber really needs to pull off some miracles this window in terms of bringing in some outstanding quality to plug the holes left but Skipp and Buendia. 2 Premier League players who will cost at least £30million to fill, most likely more if you're after the same level of experience and quality. I know it's a club record but the transfer fee will not cover the cost of losing Emi's talent, you can't replace that easily or cheaply.

That all being said, Webber and Farke did an outstanding job of improving the squad despite losing Godfrey and Jamal last time around, if they can do it again then fair play to them. Only they know what potential deals are in the pipeline for us, getting the funds in quickly from Emi's sale might be the important factor

I’d say the opposite, that while they will be gutted to see a good player leave, it will give them hope that if they perform then the club won’t stand in their way if a better offer comes along. The club showing that they stand by their word in improving players and not standing in their way will get a good reputation when it comes to signing new ones 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, CanaryLegend said:

Name another club who get promoted and sell the crown Jewell’s.

It is a weird position to be in, but I suspect we promised we'd sell Emi in this window in order to convince him to stay and do another year getting kicked in the Championship. 

Did Webber want to sell a player? Probably, yes, its unconventional and a risk but selling Maddison worked out well for us. It is important that we spend well now to give ourselves a chance.

Did we really have any choice but to sell Emi? Probably not. Refuse to sell and watch as petulant Emi doesn't turn up for months, gets silly reds and generally disrupts the squad.

Brace yourself for Cantwell being next to leave, I suspect its a case of commit to a deal or do one with him. 

I just don't understand the panic when we will see incomings, as a team we've been far too reliant on Emi for too long and I'm personally hoping that we'll end up with more balance after reinvesting profits. Not holding my breathe, but I'm giving it until 1st July before panicking and calling for heads on stakes.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CanaryLegend said:

Firesale is selling assets off cheaply to avoid bankruptcy so ok poetic licence with last bit come on let’s wake up and smell the coffee. Name another club who get promoted and sell the crown Jewell’s.

Also imagine us replacing the talent? People’s costs have just gone up when we come knocking on the door? Mattheus Perreira for £15m now we got £33m - no chance!!

You're ignoring the unique circumstances brought on by Covid. It's not their first outing in the prem with Norwich, they're now at a different stage of their career, they're not unknown entities anymore, they've proved they can perform in the PL.

If Brentford go down, do you think they'll keep Toney? (Provided he has a good year)

Edited by Wardogz

7 minutes ago, Wardogz said:

God this board is lame. "Firesale". No, a firesale would have been to flog them all off on the cheap when we got relegated. But we managed to keep our stars and return to the Prem. 

The impact of Covid gave us another year with Emi - be grateful we had him for as long as we did

A firesale is what we had with Chase having to sell two key players (Ward and Newsome) immediately for prices well below their real value or face the banks there and then plunging the club into bankruptcy. We have had nothing like that since and this is certainly not that.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Wardogz said:

If Brentford go down, do you think they'll keep Toney? (Provided he has a good year)

Does anyone actually think that if Toney had already told Brentford he wanted a move this summer and was pushing hard for it, that they also wouldn't sell him for a similar fee to Emi's if a club came in for him???

We're talking about us and Brentford FFS, not Man City and Real Madrid...!!!

What impact does it have on a manager's pysche to get promoted and then sell your best players?

Farke may accept the sale as part of the philosophy but will also be thinking he has taken this club as far as he can. 

We will have to see what's incoming because getting promoted then handicapping yourself isn't inspiring.

4 minutes ago, Fen Canary said:

I’d say the opposite, that while they will be gutted to see a good player leave, it will give them hope that if they perform then the club won’t stand in their way if a better offer comes along. The club showing that they stand by their word in improving players and not standing in their way will get a good reputation when it comes to signing new ones 

Exactly. The real question is: "How would the players have felt had Norwich blocked Buendia's move at all costs?"

They probably wouldn't have been impressed, as it sends a signal that the club is going back on their promises that sensible offers from big clubs will be accepted.

Selling Buendia is also a good advert for attracting new, young talent. 

Whether Villa truly are a big club right now is open to debate, but if Buendia sees them as a step up, so be it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chelm Canary said:

What impact does it have on a manager's pysche to get promoted and then sell your best players?

Farke may accept the sale as part of the philosophy but will also be thinking he has taken this club as far as he can. 

We will have to see what's incoming because getting promoted then handicapping yourself isn't inspiring.

But it was the plan ALL along ... a plan that Farke himself has explained time and time again.

Glad some people are happy with no ambition. Typical mentality of so many at the club. We are relegated already and those who think we have a chance are deluded. 

Dont worry lads we still got Hugill!

9 minutes ago, CanaryLegend said:

Not sure about that. We are still poor compared to most clubs and everyone knows that.

In the same way they're wasn't much competition for signing Emi I think this window could be a bit of a buyers market with most clubs looking to raise funds. Especially so at the lower end where we are operating.

Just now, Cantiaci Canary said:

But it was the plan ALL along ... a plan that Farke himself has explained time and time again.

Yes he bought into it but will also know he can only take this club so far. 

He's an excellent manager and will more than likely move on after this season.

2 minutes ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

The players will be unfazed ... unlike some blind and deaf fans that we have they know the philosophy here at Norwich and have bought into it for their own personal success now and I the future.

I love when people make out players are some sort of unfeeling robots. People always say things like “they’re professionals”, like that somehow prevents them from acting like human beings.

I’ve no doubt the players expected players to move on, they heard Webber’s comments the same as us. Of course they also understand the model and club they’ve joined.

However they’ve also got personal ambitions and want to be Premier League players and playing for a Premier League this time next year, that’s just got harder.

I’m sure like a lot of fans they understand the move but that doesn’t mean they wouldn’t be disappointed.

People I have worked with have left my team for better roles and I’ve understood why and wished them well, doesn’t mean it hasn’t affected me and the rest of my team, it’s human nature. Webber and Farke will need to manage that.

Just now, Chelm Canary said:

Yes he bought into it but will also know he can only take this club so far. 

He's an excellent manager and will more than likely move on after this season.

Honestly, this is based on nothing other than your tin foil hat wearing pessism that the sky is falling down just because our star player is being sold.

Chill out, chicken little. We know Farke is in talks to extend his contract. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

A firesale is what we had with Chase having to sell two key players (Ward and Newsome) immediately for prices well below their real value or face the banks there and then plunging the club into bankruptcy. We have had nothing like that since and this is certainly not that.

Just to back up a point that others have made, this is the way the model is meant to operate. It doesn't mean the intention is to stay a club yo-yoing between the top two divisions ( though many 'big' clubs would kill for that level of performance). The aim is to move up from that, but by its nature it is a slower process than someone injecting billions into the team.

The idea that it was lucky to have Maddison to sell to fill a hole in the finances ignores the point that the whole idea behind the model was to have someone like Maddison to sell to fill that hole. It showed the model was working, and although it is a shame Buendia has gone that also shows the model is working.

Edited by PurpleCanary
  • Like 1

So how will the Spurs players be feeling when they sell their best player and main goalscorer?!!.........lets look at our squad in 4 or 5 weeks time before we start panicking!!!!!

2 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Honestly, this is based on nothing other than your tin foil hat wearing pessism that the sky is falling down just because our star player is being sold.

Chill out, chicken little. We know Farke is in talks to extend his contract. 

I need to chill out? 😂.

The timing of the sale was critical and surely played a part. Selling just before the end of our accounts year when we made a £30 million loss means no corporation tax will be paid in this accounting year. Wait another 24 days and we will be in the next accounting year when we will certainly make a taxable profit.

Back of envelope stuff but I reckon we have saved £7 million so certainly not a fire sale.

34 minutes ago, Wardogz said:

What’s lame is our fan base being so wet that some are actually trying to defend this sale...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Virtual reality said:

What’s lame is our fan base being so wet that some are actually trying to defend this sale...

Those with their eyes open knew this was coming for the past year. He wanted out, we sold him, that's how it works.

Edited by Wardogz

18 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Just to back up a point that others have made, this is the way the model is meant to operate. It doesn't mean the intention is to stay a club yo-yoing between the top two divisions ( though many 'big' clubs would kill for that level of performance). The aim is to move up from that, but by its nature it is a slower process than someone injecting billions into the team.

The idea that it was lucky to have Maddison to sell to fill a hole in the finances ignores the point that the whole idea behind the model was to have someone like Maddison to sell to fill that hole. It showed the model was working, and although it is a shame Buendia has gone that also shows the model is working.

Read this.

4 minutes ago, Virtual reality said:

Ignore this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1