Sign in to follow this  
Tony DaWonderful

Was this already agreed with Emi last season?

Interestingly, whilst sat in the garden enjoying a coffee and the sun I'm listening to TalkSport and it seems Arsenal are getting more greif for a lack of ambition over this than we are 😂

10 minutes ago, chicken said:

That just makes your argument even more nuts.

So a player goes to a club that have a wealthier owner, spent £150million to stay up by one place in the PL, then to invest tens of millions more to push on to mid table, so has two seasons of continued PL improvement would be worth more than a player who has three seasons of regular higher level football, 2 in the Champs and 1 in the PL - who'd a thunk it?!!

It's not about pecking order. It's about models. The likes of Villa buy success, they also overpay for players. And in a couple of seasons they could be like Bournemouth. However, one also has to accept that until they were relegated, Villa had never been outside of the PL since it's inception. If you honestly thought Villa were ever our "equals" in terms of recent history then maybe that's worth reconsidering?

That is one of the reasons Grealish stayed and continues to stay. They are doing well.

As said before we didn't sell ANY of our star players upon promotion last time - in many ways that cost us. We were forced to shop in the bargain basement of loans and cheapies - meaning players not wanted or in Byram's case, coming with an injury record despite being clearly a very, very good player.

It needed a different strategy and that is exactly what Webber and Farke have been saying since. 

You’re reading waaaay too much into this comparison mate. I’m just disappointed that we clearly aren’t in a better place as a team to be able to demand anything close to the fee that Buendia is actually worth, and I’m disappointed that we have entertained the sale to Villa. That’s all. I thought we held more of the cards in this transfer that we actually did by the looks of it, and the whole team must be demoralised by it.

I respect they are a better side than us at the moment, but they’re the type of side we should be aiming to compete with in a footballing sense next season. Otherwise where do we put ourselves? If we’re not in competition with Villa then are we not in competition with Palace, Newcastle or Burnley either? 

17 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Its not a particularly good fee really is it, and most media outlets seem to be going with £33m rather than £35m, not when AWB went to Man Utd for £45m and he can't get in an England squad which chose four right backs. 

It is probably a fee which currently reflects the financial problems being caused by covid, but its only really a good fee if we spend it and get equally good value in the market. If we bank this money and wait for the crisis to tide over then its not a good fee at all.

Have to spend in this window, whilst there are desperate clubs and bargains to be had for it to turn out to be sensible business.

So it's a good fee for the current time then?😉

25 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Its not a particularly good fee really is it, and most media outlets seem to be going with £33m rather than £35m, not when AWB went to Man Utd for £45m and he can't get in an England squad which chose four right backs. 

This logic doesn't stack though does it?

For it to stack you have to conclude that AWB was worth £45m. Reality is though that Man Utd likely overpaid for him. Same as Pepe cost Arsenal £70m, that he has not torn up trees and been an instant success suggests that overly, he was not worth that sort of money.

Exactly the same as Bournemouth paying £8million for Grabban, a player they let go for less than half that a couple of seasons before, Afobe who cost £10-12m and struggled to make an impact.

You can base your valuation on all of the overpriced players you like but it doesn't mean that Buendia's fee was low. Just more realistic.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

You’re reading waaaay too much into this comparison mate. I’m just disappointed that we clearly aren’t in a better place as a team to be able to demand anything close to the fee that Buendia is actually worth, and I’m disappointed that we have entertained the sale to Villa. That’s all. I thought we held more of the cards in this transfer that we actually did by the looks of it, and the whole team must be demoralised by it.

I respect they are a better side than us at the moment, but they’re the type of side we should be aiming to compete with in a footballing sense next season. Otherwise where do we put ourselves? If we’re not in competition with Villa then are we not in competition with Palace, Newcastle or Burnley either? 

That's the exact point though.

I get people being gutted that he's going. It isn't surprising that he is. I think people are more gutted because Villa aren't seen as a top six side, and I get that too.

But this argument that we didn't get good market value for him is very uninformed. People are primarily looking at the more extreme examples and ignoring the normal examples.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Tony DaWonderful said:

This now has a total feel of 'get us back to the Premiership and you can pick your deal' ...'with whoever!!!'

This would of been drummed out when he and cantwell... the two who were involved in missing early doors last season in my opinion.

Absolutely gutted he has chosen Villa though and cannot get my head around it. Unfortunately for Emi probably the best player to have worn the Green and Yellow he won't be walking away with the most respect.

I'm sure you're right, he was too good for the championship but stayed with us with the slight chance of getting us promoted and it is in large part due to him that we did get back to the Prem. He deserves a move after showing that loyalty which is a rare thing these days. I thought he would have gone to a bigger club but playing week in week out with Grealish has to have massive appeal.

44 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

I'd peg Villa a bit ahead of those three at the moment with the money behind them and the fact they've got a Grealish in the middle.

11 minutes ago, chicken said:

That's the exact point though.

I get people being gutted that he's going. It isn't surprising that he is. I think people are more gutted because Villa aren't seen as a top six side, and I get that too.

But this argument that we didn't get good market value for him is very uninformed. People are primarily looking at the more extreme examples and ignoring the normal examples.

I don’t think it is massively undervalue in terms of market value, given the current circumstances (I.e quick and early sale in the transfer window, and our relative financial clout), it’s just as I said disappointing that we aren’t in a position of total strength where we can dig our heels in and try to build the team around him. Instead Webber actively tried to get the sale done as quickly as possible.

As I said on another thread, I can totalling swallow this approach for a player like Aarons where a fee of £30 million could potentially be used to find a replacement and he isn’t quite as instrumental for the team. But for Buendia? It’s tough to take!

It's £38M with add ons plus 10% sell-on fee. There is no sell on fee for Getafe. Basically it's a £40+M deal.

£40M is a completely decent sum right now. That's equivalent to £50-60M in normal times. Remember all the prices have been cut, which means in relative terms we are very well off.

7 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

I'd peg Villa a bit ahead of those three at the moment with the money behind them and the fact they've got a Grealish in the middle.

And the fact that they finished 10pts ahead of Newcastle in 12th and the others who were all dross. Last season has to go down as one of the most bang average at best PL seasons. A good season for a club like Villa to build.

Man City won the title with a below average points total for teams being crowned. Prior to last season the lowest points total needed for survival was 33. Fulham in 18th had 28points. To put that into perspective, Watford and Bournemouth finished the season before on 34points and were relegated. 55pts would have seen Villa finish 8th that season. So you can argue that it was more competitive in the sense that the standout teams were less consistent than previous seasons.

But Villa deffo did finish a cut above the rest of the bottom half of the table, no doubt about that. Not in the same category last season as Newcastle, Palace or Burnley (who finished on 39pts, 16 behind Villa). 

3 minutes ago, chicken said:

And the fact that they finished 10pts ahead of Newcastle in 12th and the others who were all dross. Last season has to go down as one of the most bang average at best PL seasons. A good season for a club like Villa to build.

Man City won the title with a below average points total for teams being crowned. Prior to last season the lowest points total needed for survival was 33. Fulham in 18th had 28points. To put that into perspective, Watford and Bournemouth finished the season before on 34points and were relegated. 55pts would have seen Villa finish 8th that season. So you can argue that it was more competitive in the sense that the standout teams were less consistent than previous seasons.

But Villa deffo did finish a cut above the rest of the bottom half of the table, no doubt about that. Not in the same category last season as Newcastle, Palace or Burnley (who finished on 39pts, 16 behind Villa). 

Not to mention they had a period without Grealish where they struggled pretty badly.

23 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

I don’t think it is massively undervalue in terms of market value, given the current circumstances (I.e quick and early sale in the transfer window, and our relative financial clout), it’s just as I said disappointing that we aren’t in a position of total strength where we can dig our heels in and try to build the team around him. Instead Webber actively tried to get the sale done as quickly as possible.

As I said on another thread, I can totalling swallow this approach for a player like Aarons where a fee of £30 million could potentially be used to find a replacement and he isn’t quite as instrumental for the team. But for Buendia? It’s tough to take!

But no teams really are. It's just about the price where a club can't turn it down and at which point a player pushes it through.

Buendia has some decency as if he had wanted, he could have pushed through a move last summer, though it seemed he might have tried for a short time.

It's where football is right now. FFP protects wealthy clubs and hinders those clubs that are not wealth from bridging that gap. All of the rules and regulations in place only serve to preserve the PL and top 6-8 sides really. The "homegrown" and U23's have only served to do the same thing. The big clubs will now sign players that are younger to get them their home grown status.

I gave up blaming clubs and being upset with these things ages ago because unless there is wholesale change this is football for the indefinite. And what's more, it's only going to get worse. The bungled EFL "rescue" package and the Super League fiasco have highlighted how we can expect to see a decline in TV revenue and that if this happens the bigger sides will no longer seek to be part of a TV package deal and would rather set up their own streaming service.

If the top 6 do that, then it'll be down to every team to do the same.

15 hours ago, Herman said:

40 million would have been a brilliant fee. 35 is a great one. Get a grip.

We have no idea for sure what the 'fee' is. Some outlets report '£35', some '£33' and some as 'low' as '£30', 'Million' that is just for clarity!. The God like status of Buendia is certainly sliding though as he quickly fled Norfolk once a fistful of £'s were dangled in front of his nose!  

Much as it hurts that he has been sold,it was always going to happen.To whom,makes no odds to me.The price was, in all honesty a bit of a surprise but I have to believe that Webber got the best deal that was available.
I am pretty sure that Buendia was determined to leave before the start of next season and had he been forced to stay I am not sure that I would have wanted an unsettled player in the squad.
Webber has always appeared honest and spoke of the clubs intention to be open and transparent with supporters so I await with eagerness any statement that comes in the next few days because you can be sure that the officers of the club will be well aware of what has been said by supporters 
Hopefully he will address all the questions and queries that have sprung up over the last couple of days. 

• Like 1

reportedly £8,000 pw plus bonuses 5 year contract. Villa goalie also Argentina good friend same agent could we pay that ? NO

Settled for life. Agree maybe we were sold short but would you not go? Regular game time but not top six club.

Strange everything took off while he was away with Argentina. 

Good luck Emi thanks for memories and maybe we will be a more rounded team.

On 05/06/2021 at 21:35, Tony DaWonderful said:

This now has a total feel of 'get us back to the Premiership and you can pick your deal' ...'with whoever!!!'

This would of been drummed out when he and cantwell... the two who were involved in missing early doors last season in my opinion.

Absolutely gutted he has chosen Villa though and cannot get my head around it. Unfortunately for Emi probably the best player to have worn the Green and Yellow he won't be walking away with the most respect.

completely the case...

I suspect he'd have maybe preferred better, probably even Arsenal but they didn't want to pay what Villa did so it was either go to them or don't go at all.

Sounds like Webber wanted this resolved one way or the other pretty quickly.

Until we sell out to a billionaire this is the way it is sadly.

2 hours ago, Mike w said:

reportedly £8,000 pw plus bonuses 5 year contract. Villa goalie also Argentina good friend same agent could we pay that ? NO

£8K a week ? He needs a new agent 😀

image.png

Edited by ......and Smith must score.

1 hour ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

£8K a week ? He needs a new agent 😀

image.png

Probably nearer £80,000 per week