Sign in to follow this  
Midlands Yellow

Who’s in shock

51 minutes ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

I am not in shock. My Dad was blue lighted into the NNUH on Thursday, totally unexpected, still reeling from it. A football club selling a player who wanted to leave, is neither surprising or of that much concern to me.........

I'm sorry to hear that SOB. I hope he makes a speedy recovery and is soon back home. Puts things into perspective though doesn't it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

I am not in shock. My Dad was blue lighted into the NNUH on Thursday, totally unexpected, still reeling from it. A football club selling a player who wanted to leave, is neither surprising or of that much concern to me.........

Sorry to hear fella. Hope everything is ok!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Indy_Bones said:

If we didn't get any more offers he'd still have gone to Villa, and we'd have wasted the time we could have had getting new players in.

The only way Emi was staying was if nobody was willing to pay the sort of price we were wanting (but within reason), and quite clearly, Villa really wanted him.

If we had turned down the offer, they would have increased it. 

I don't know if anyone is expecting us to now spend loads of money on ready cooked players. I think this could lead to greater disappointment. 

This transaction makes us look like a pre-stepping stone club

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

Indeed! It's football, not a matter of life or death. Hope things turned out ok for your dad.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, curious yellow said:

What's one of them?

20 minutes ago, curious yellow said:

I don't know if anyone is expecting us to now spend loads of money on ready cooked players. I think this could lead to greater disappointment. 

Better tell Stuart Webber this so that we don't mess up the next deal. 

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

Don't think that's possible but glad you agree. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, curious yellow said:

So you honestly believe that was Villa's first offer do you? And that Webber is the most naive DOF in the history of football and accepted their initial bid? That he didn't push them to their limit? Wow! So little knowledge of Webber's history and reputation.

53 minutes ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

Haha! Perhaps Webber should just step aside and let some of those on here land the £80m deal that was obviously there for the taking.

Thank you to Horsefly, Hoggy and Lapps. Only one nominated visitor allowed (which is my Mum) and for a pre booked hour only means I am on pins until she has visited and relayed how he is doing. Dropped the shopping off to them in the morning, seven hours later frantic call from my Mum saying an ambulance is on the way to my Dad. Poor old boy has dementia and is clearly not coping with being in hospital, he is a tough old boy so I have got my fingers crossed they can sort him out (infusion on each lung, pneumonia in one lung, water infection and sepsis infection in his chest). Health, life and my loved ones are my priority. Emii being sold to Villa just does not matter at all in the grand scheme of things, it really doesn't.........

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Haha! Perhaps Webber should just step aside and let some of those on here land the £80m deal that was obviously there for the taking.

Blind Faith

Or blinkered - see what you say this time next year

4 minutes ago, curious yellow said:

Blind Faith

Or blinkered - see what you say this time next year

Hardly blind faith to think that a man with one of the very highest reputations in football as a DOF might actually know what he's doing. Would love to see your inside knowledge and evidence that he screwed up on getting the best deal available (or are your sources top secret?)

Edited by horsefly

2 hours ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

Hey Faded, chin up fella, been there before - before you know it your Dad will be back out of hospital and in the meantime we’ll have resigned Marley Watkins to fill Emi’s shoes anyway 😜. All the best, and hope you have positive news soon! 🤞

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

Thank you to Horsefly, Hoggy and Lapps. Only one nominated visitor allowed (which is my Mum) and for a pre booked hour only means I am on pins until she has visited and relayed how he is doing. Dropped the shopping off to them in the morning, seven hours later frantic call from my Mum saying an ambulance is on the way to my Dad. Poor old boy has dementia and is clearly not coping with being in hospital, he is a tough old boy so I have got my fingers crossed they can sort him out (infusion on each lung, pneumonia in one lung, water infection and sepsis infection in his chest). Health, life and my loved ones are my priority. Emii being sold to Villa just does not matter at all in the grand scheme of things, it really doesn't.........

Really hope he improves quickly. Sounds extremely traumatic for you and your family. He's lucky to have you all pitching in for him. Take care!

• Thanks 1

Echo the others and wish you and your family all the best Faded Jaded. 👍

• Thanks 1

It's no shock at all he's left, or even for the amount of money being quoted, just a poor choice of club, but then if no-one offered £33m (or more) and we want the money, what else did we expect? 

As much as some still want to be in denial about it, the fact is we are a selling club. It's basically part of our "model".

We move on and find the next Emi.

Edited by Paint Me Yellow
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Hardly blind faith to think that a man with one of the very highest reputations in football as a DOF might actually know what he's doing. Would love to see your inside knowledge and evidence that he screwed up on getting the best deal available (or are your sources top secret?)

Exactly, why would you assume that a guy as informed, experienced and shrewd as Webber has done a worse job than you would've done?!

41 minutes ago, horsefly said:

So you think he got the best deal because of his reputation and that's not blind faith?

If we don't want to sell our best player, the best deal is to keep him and that's not inside information, it's common sense. 

It strikes me Villa tried to push this through while they could still afford him. 

The transfer window is not open yet. 

3 hours ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

Ah that's rubbish. Sorry to hear that..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, curious yellow said:

So you think he got the best deal because of his reputation and that's not blind faith?

Jesus! You are seriously in need of a dictionary. The very opposite of blind faith is to have justifiable reasons for one's beliefs. Webber's education, qualifications, reputation, and most importantly his outstanding record of performing near miracles at Huddersfield and City constitute the most strongly justifiable reasons for believing he negotiated the best deal he could get. If you can't see this you must live in a constant state of paranoia that your doctor, bank manager, children's teachers, accountants, garage mechanic, dentist, etc, etc are all incompetent, untrustworthy fools.

If we don't want to sell our best player, the best deal is to keep him and that's not inside information, it's common sense. 

It strikes me Villa tried to push this through while they could still afford him. 

Oh dear god. Stop pretending to be so dim.

6 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Jesus! You are seriously in need of a dictionary. The very opposite of blind faith is to have justifiable reasons for one's beliefs. Webber's education, qualifications, reputation, and most importantly his outstanding record of performing near miracles at Huddersfield and City constitute the most strongly justifiable reasons for believing he negotiated the best deal he could get. If you can't see this you must live in a constant state of paranoia that your doctor, bank manager, children's teachers, accountants, garage mechanic, dentist, etc, etc are all incompetent, untrustworthy fools.

Don't forget ... we live in a post expert world now.

A couple of things to bear in mind:

1. The level of the fee obtained may have been slightly lower than some of us wanted or hoped for, however we enter the transfer window with a considerably larger war chest. This enables us to go after our first choices knowing we have a fair bit to play with. Which leads us to..

2. By definition, if players are first-choice for us, they're probably going to be wanted by other teams. The ability to get in early (as Villa indeed showed) could well be a major advantage and helps us get who we want, leading to...

3. We then have more time on the training ground in pre-season to speed up integration of these new signings and improve the interplay between them and the existing members of the team, and not leave it late with players who were more second or third choice and only have a short period with them beforehand. This is also why the January window rarely saw players that stepped in and did instantly well for us.

Sure, we might have got an extra few million, but then either our best targets have cleared off, or other clubs see us with extra money and push the price up, seeing we're desperate. So I'd say it's less the sum we got, and more the business we do after receiving it. Put it this way, we got £15m for Lewis and spent about half of that on Giannoulis. That worked bloody well. We got £25m for Godfrey and spent £15m of that on Gibson. And we now have two players fully integrated in a back four that's set (provided we keep Aarons) as we aim to do better in the Premier League this time.

if we don't want to sell our best player, the best deal is to keep him and that's not inside information, it's common sense. 

How is that common sense? Neither you nor I have first-hand knowledge concerning what was promised to Buendia regarding his future next season. Indeed, most of the gossip suggests he was persuaded to hang around and play in a league beneath his obvious talents last season precisely because he was promised a move if certain transfer criteria were met. If that was the case then it would have been disastrous for squad morale and potential future acquisitions if we had broken that promise. Maybe at some point in the future we will find out exactly what happened in this case, but in the meantime you're certainly right that I believe Webber will have done a deal in the best interests of the club. Common sense tells us that Webber is one of the most talented DOFs in the country, and common sense tells us he believes he has done the best deal possible. Common sense also tells us that the fact no other club has attempted to gazump Villa's transfer offer means that no other club values him higher than Villa.

7 minutes ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

Don't forget ... we live in a post expert world now.

Haha! Thanks for the reminder CC. I must remember to stop being so rational.

2 minutes ago, curious yellow said:

Brilliant detailed argument. Genius. 

I try and bring myself down to the person I'm responding to, discuss on an even keel and all that.

5 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I try and bring myself down to the person I'm responding to, discuss on an even keel and all that.

Is that your idea of discussion? Sounds more like abuse. 

40 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Blimey, how do you know all those people?! 

Everyone is open to criticism. I trust Webber but he has admitted that he's made mistakes. My opinion is that the deal has suited Villa, their fans are really happy with the deal and think they've got a bargain. 

There's plenty of time for bids to be made. Just because we haven't heard of bids for Aarons and Cantwell doesn't mean there's no one interested

It's a shame because Emi has been so good, the size of the fee undermines his ability. 

2 minutes ago, curious yellow said:

Blimey, how do you know all those people?! 

Everyone is open to criticism. I trust Webber but he has admitted that he's made mistakes. My opinion is that the deal has suited Villa, their fans are really happy with the deal and think they've got a bargain. 

There's plenty of time for bids to be made. Just because we haven't heard of bids for Aarons and Cantwell doesn't mean there's no one interested

It's a shame because Emi has been so good, the size of the fee undermines his ability. 

I dare say the price may start at £33m and is due to rise to nearer £40m with appearances. In today's market, it's good money, as teams will be spending a lot less this season. There will always be teams like Chelsea, Man City, Villa to a degree who always seem to have cash. 

I would expect us to have a ready replacement sorted already to prevent a pushback from fans. If we got Pereira for example for circa 15m (if rumours are true) we will soon forget about Buendia and have a creative influence again for less money and have more money to strengthen accordingly.