Sign in to follow this  
Midlands Yellow

Who’s in shock

Those confused about the timing of the deal ... ask yourself - why.

1. We can now get our own business done possibly ahead of rivals.

2. Emi clearly had set his heart on leaving.

3. Bigger clubs than Villa weren't interested in matching their offer this window.

• Like 4

He can go to whomever pays the most money. I couldn't care less who he goes too, but with that said, I would prefer it being abroad. We move on, but the pressure is now on Webber to buy some quality players with the additional funds. People knew he was gonna go and now acting surprised that something has happened quickly, I'm not personally. Webber will want it done early so they can get new additions in. Makes sense really. Onwards and hopefully upwards

• Like 1

Shock? No just tediously predictable. You sell a Cantwell or Aarons for £30m, fair enough. Not the best player we have had in decades. Just so fed up... it makes us massively weaker.. and to Villa ffs! 

29 minutes ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

3. Bigger clubs than Villa weren't interested in matching their offer this window.

4. We couldn’t say yes quick enough to a derisory offer. Villa have a bargain, simples. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

4. We couldn’t say yes quick enough to a derisory offer. Villa have a bargain, simples. 

It's not a silly price it's absolute steal...it feel like the time we sold Sutton for ridiculously low. It's not a good deal. It's pretty obvious that we are desperate for cash ..remember we don't have to sell rubbish?

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

If he'd played well for Argentina, his price would have risen and other clubs might be interested. It was in Villa's interest to push the deal through before this happened. 

If we wanted 40M why did we allow ourselves to get fobbed off with add ons, which never usually work for us?

Villa are getting the finished product and will probably get his best seasons and then go on to make more money on his sale than we have done. 

How many other players with Buendia's record and ability would sell for 30M plus add ons? 

1 hour ago, horsefly said:

If we're selling him below a realistic price why haven't other clubs (especially Arsenal) gazumped the Villa bid? 

Exactly. He's a known quantity, and no-one else came in. So any valuation above what we got was clearly not the market rate and is a case of the yellow and green lenses obscuring harsh market realities.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Why would Webber gift up a bargain? 

I know that it's hard to hear but none of us are experts on transferring footballers nor were at the bargaining table.

It boils down to whether you trust in Webber or not .... I certainly do.

Edited by Cantiaci Canary
  • Like 1

Honestly, as others have said, I am more shocked that so many people are throwing in the towel and are "shocked" that Buendia is going.

Am I a surprised it is to Villa? Well yes, but then I suppose perhaps he hasn't yet done enough to convince Champions League teams that he is worth the gamble.

Am I surprised it is so soon? No. Not at all. This has all the hallmarks of Webber's work. With Buendia gone they can tell Cantwell to stay as he is now the main man and he may well do so. Dowell now has that opportunity to step up too.

There is another thing to this that makes me think it may have been in the pipeline for some time too. Not only have both Webber and Farke talked about the likelihood of losing one of the three seen as prized assets but they also made good arguments. If that £30mil can be put back into the pot to strengthen our squad - it may work out for us. As good as Buendia is, he couldn't keep us up on his own, and last time out - he was a bit of a liability giving the ball away in dangerous areas around our defensive third. Yes he has improved but many lessons were learned that season.

Webber and Farke like to get the business done early. And I agree. Any impact on the squad is whilst they are with international sides or on holiday. That means the fallout with fans will have limited impact compared to when the squad is together and training. Add to that it is likely we have a list of targets we want to improve the squad, I think it's likely that this has been planned to a degree. If rumours are to be true - there has been somewhat of a bidding war for him and this was the best deal on the table. 

To add a bit of weight to that, Skipp has been spotted house hunting around Norwich in recent days, whether that is on loan or permanently who knows? But I am good with either at this point.

One thing we have to be is realistic. Buendia, Cantwell, Aarons, Godfrey, Lewis, Pukki and Krul could all have moved at some point over the last three seasons. Many were linked to moves upon our promotion season, then during the premier league season and then through last season. Credit where credit is due - the club have held on to players better than we have done before. In the past we would have sold players early in their development for sums that future moves would dwarf. This time we have held on to players and we are pushing top value for them.

Now the last bit people may wish to argue, but the market is deflated owing to two things - the first one being covid and the second one being the two stunts last season. The first being the so called "rescue package" for the EFL from the Premier League which essentially highlighted their belief that future TV revenues will be greatly reduced. And then from the so called 'top 6' who wanted to create their own super league so they could suck up the best TV deals possible and remove the funds away from the PL. All of which means clubs will be preparing for the future when the TV money will start to reduce and also lost funds over the season and a bit of the pandemic which has meant a loss in gate receipts, match day earnings and linked sales of things like merchandise.

£45mil a summer before all of this is probably £30-35mil.

Either way, we need at least:
- 1CB, arguably 2.
- GK if Nyland doesn't stay (I'd take Gunn)
- CDM, possibly two? Skipp and I'd like to see a bit of a warrior in there with physical presence.
- Buendia replacement.

10 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Exactly. He's a known quantity, and no-one else came in. So any valuation above what we got was clearly not the market rate and is a case of the yellow and green lenses obscuring harsh market realities.

The bid was only on the table for a couple of days and who would have expected it to be completed while the players was on international duty in Argentina? 

21 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

It's not a silly price it's absolute steal...it feel like the time we sold Sutton for ridiculously low. It's not a good deal. It's pretty obvious that we are desperate for cash ..remember we don't have to sell rubbish?

Chris Sutton went for a then British transfer record... that would be like selling one of our players for over £100mil today. I really don't think you can actually mean we sold Sutton for "ridiculously low" - because there is no way that was considered anywhere near low at that point. 

Just now, curious yellow said:

The bid was only on the table for a couple of days and who would have expected it to be completed while the players was on international duty in Argentina? 

When Arsenal and Atletico were also interested?? In this age of hyper-fast communications, if they'd have wanted to gazump it, they would have gazumped it. Speed benefits them as well - they can get Emi bedded in quicker too, same as we can search quicker for replacements, if we've not already earmarked them already.

A prolonged bidding war might look good for just the revenue column, but it also tells clubs "watch out in the transfer market if Norwich are there, we could lamp several million on the price".

• Like 1

1 minute ago, curious yellow said:

Not if you trust in the reports that have been coming through the media in recent days. This has been bubbling on for at least a week. It sped up towards Weds/Thurs/Fri with various sources reporting that essentially a bidding war was going on between Arsenal and Villa, with both clubs having had offers rebuffed. I think at the same time Atletico's interest cooled. Worth remembering that Spain has been hit exceedingly hard by the pandemic and it may have had more impact on their leagues than the British ones. Even Barcelona appear to be cutting their spending and bringing in several experienced freebies which is somewhat unusual for them.

So I don't think there is much weight to the suggestion this bid has only been about a couple of days as if nothing else has happened.

3 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

And had to open a bottle double quick time. It feels like we couldn’t accept a tasty offer quick enough. The best player probably ever in yellow doesn’t move on for a realistic price. Happy Clappers Utd have their work cut out defending this one. 

Surprised me tbh. Emi is...was...our best player. I thought we'd get the max out of him during the coming season and then he would move on for big money at the end of (hopefully) a successful year. Quite naive of me really.

I honestly didn't think we'd sell him unless we got offered silly money (45m+). You really want to be keeping your best player if you plan to make a fist of staying up. Massive, massive Emi shaped hole to fill.

OTBC

• Like 1

What's really funny is the OP and others of a similar ilk fail to realise that its the decisions Webber has made and ultimately,  Delia, Michael and the board that meant we signed Emi in the first place.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

When Arsenal and Atletico were also interested?? In this age of hyper-fast communications, if they'd have wanted to gazump it, they would have gazumped it. Speed benefits them as well - they can get Emi bedded in quicker too, same as we can search quicker for replacements, if we've not already earmarked them already.

A prolonged bidding war might look good for just the revenue column, but it also tells clubs "watch out in the transfer market if Norwich are there, we could lamp several million on the price".

This is spot on.

Say we held out a month and got £5million more, maybe £10million more. Then we are where we have been many times in the past and the club has been criticised for. Having sold a top player, we have less time to recruit meaning that our column A transfer targets have either moved elsewhere or decided to stay and sign new contracts. Then we move onto Column B half of which are either in the process of doing the same or already have done so.

We end up with a bit of Column B and a bit of Column C and not really improving our squad drastically. On the chance we get a Column A player, they are arriving in the middle of preseason, often are a bit behind or need to adjust, as we have seen with players coming into Farke's regime.

We can't afford that. We don't have a deep enough squad to have players we need on the pitch still be adjusting. We need them from game one. Again, a lesson learnt last time out in the premier league, highlighted as much by Rupp's success last season as it was by Dida and co struggling to get to grips instantly. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chicken said:

This is spot on.

Say we held out a month and got £5million more, maybe £10million more. Then we are where we have been many times in the past and the club has been criticised for. Having sold a top player, we have less time to recruit meaning that our column A transfer targets have either moved elsewhere or decided to stay and sign new contracts. Then we move onto Column B half of which are either in the process of doing the same or already have done so.

We end up with a bit of Column B and a bit of Column C and not really improving our squad drastically. On the chance we get a Column A player, they are arriving in the middle of preseason, often are a bit behind or need to adjust, as we have seen with players coming into Farke's regime.

We can't afford that. We don't have a deep enough squad to have players we need on the pitch still be adjusting. We need them from game one. Again, a lesson learnt last time out in the premier league, highlighted as much by Rupp's success last season as it was by Dida and co struggling to get to grips instantly. 

I do t think timing has been why we fail to land A targets but wages offered. 

30 minutes ago, curious yellow said:

Villa are getting the finished product and will probably get his best seasons and then go on to make more money on his sale than we have done. 

I don't think he is the finished product and it would appear neither does the Argentina national side manager, Scaloni.

This is no criticism of Buendia or our squad but if he was to go somewhere with a more solid base behind him, he would be attacking even more than he does for us. And lets be honest, he and Pukki are on the same page - that is testament of the quality of Pukki's footballing brain. Now imagine if he is playing with two or three more players around him with the same footballing brain, which is what you get at a higher level.

That is only going to improve Buendia's game too. So is he the finished article? No, not at 24 he isn't no. There is still time for him to improve. A footballers peak is considered to be around 26-30. Plus he has never delivered consistently in the premier league, that in itself would be progression for him.

Best player I've seen for us. Surprised he's gone to Villa, they're not going anywhere. Guess Grealish is leaving them. Shame really but that's the model, I guess. 

1 minute ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

I do t think timing has been why we fail to land A targets but wages offered. 

And training facilities - but we have often sold late and struggled to replace players.

Look at Alex Neil's season - Johnson sold, no real replacement for him... unless you think Mulumbu was...

A lot of people showing emotion, reflective of a loss! In the cold light of day this was always going to happen, he wanted away at the beginning of last year, probably would have got 40 million before Covid; but getting it done early will benefit us! Also I suspect with 2 or 3 key individuals in, may make us more robust for the premier league. Emi did give the ball away a lot last time we were there, although he was high in the stats he also, led to a lot goals against! Mourn him, but thank him and wish him well. Then onto business …………..

• Like 1

Mulumbu was a strange one. Seemed great on paper, wasn’t a total disaster but certainly didn’t pull up any trees. That is the problem with signing experience- we can get players on way down who aren’t very fired up for the cause 

Must be a money move from Eli’s perspective as I doubt Villa’s coaching ability is any better than ours, can’t see him developing much more as a player.

Or am I being harsh on Villa?

Nobody could gazump the bid before it was made. Farke didn't like the players to be distracted by transfer bids while they were focused on league games. 

So why would we allow Buendia to be distracted when he is at a crucial stage of his career? Prospective clubs would be more interested after a successful debut. 

A quick sale would only benefit the benefit the buying club and shouldn't affect any purchases we make. 

tbh this baffles me... you'd typically expect to lose these players if you fail to go up or if you go down. I understand we needed to raise some money due to covid, but our top creator!? Staying up next season would give us more money than selling and increase the value of these players once they're proven in the PL 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, hogesar said:

What's really funny is the OP and others of a similar ilk fail to realise that its the decisions Webber has made and ultimately,  Delia, Michael and the board that meant we signed Emi in the first place.

I'm not sure what that's got to do with being disappointed that he's being sold before our latest attempt at Premier League survival.

I personally don't think selling our best player improves are chances of staying up.

Do you think we should have sold him?

OTBC

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, kirku said:

Best player I've seen for us. Surprised he's gone to Villa, they're not going anywhere. Guess Grealish is leaving them. Shame really but that's the model, I guess. 

I read they see Emi as a Ross Barkley replacement 

1 minute ago, Ash.m87 said:

I read they see Emi as a Ross Barkley replacement 

Who knows? We'll soon find out, I'm sure

14 minutes ago, Canary Jedi said:

Must be a money move from Eli’s perspective as I doubt Villa’s coaching ability is any better than ours, can’t see him developing much more as a player.

Or am I being harsh on Villa?

Villa are in a very different position to us as they have new owners who have pumped a significant amount of money into the club in the last couple of years with a view to establishing themselves higher up the league and challenging for Europe. Whether it'll all end in tears who knows, but I expect they see signing Buendia as part of their commitment to building a more competitive squad.