Sign in to follow this  
Midlands Yellow

Who’s in shock

And had to open a bottle double quick time. It feels like we couldn’t accept a tasty offer quick enough. The best player probably ever in yellow doesn’t move on for a realistic price. Happy Clappers Utd have their work cut out defending this one. 

Edited by Midlands Yellow
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Midlands Yellow said:

And had to open a bottle double quick time. It feels like we couldn’t accept a tasty offer quick enough. The best player probably ever in yellow doesn’t move on for a realistic price. Happy clappers Utd have their work cut out defending this one. 

It has baffled me. The money needs to be reinvested on a quality replacement. I’m sure it’ll be a cheap loan as per...

I knew he was leaving. I posted a few days ago on here saying the same and that I was fully expecting a 'transfer confirmed' to come out soon.

Did not however expect the transfer to either be soon and, of course, the most strange thing of all.. Villa. ****ing Villa.

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

The only surprise is that it's Villa. Even then, if they bid more than anyone else, they deserved it and got what they wanted - and that was the price.

Not in shock though. This is how our model works. Develop talent and sell it when their value is high.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I knew he was leaving. I posted a few days ago on here saying the same and that I was fully expecting a 'transfer confirmed' to come out soon.

Did not however expect the transfer to either be soon and, of course, the most strange thing of all.. Villa. ****ing Villa.

I get that he wanted to leave but at least hold any paying club over a £ucking barrel and squeeze every last penny out of them. Awful business and Villa will have a player worth double the fee soon enough. 

No, not really, when Webber spoke in the debrief interviews it seemed to suggest that this was a much more likely outcome than last summer and Id resolved myself to probably Max and maybe Emi going too. 

Im surprised that Villa have stolen in, but ultimately if the bigger linked clubs wanted to offer less then we had to go with whoever was going to increase our transfer budget the most. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just speechless. We’ve sent out a message that we’re waving the white flag before a ball is kicked. Our record without Buendia has been abysmal and now Pukki has lost his main chance creator

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

The only surprise is that it's Villa. Even then, if they bid more than anyone else, they deserved it and got what they wanted - and that was the price.

Not in shock though. This is how our model works. Develop talent and sell it when their value is high.

I agree. 

My consern is that Max dont want to be part of a team that is favorits to go down. 

If he goes then Todd probably want to go at chrismas. 

Im not super positiv we can make Great signings for this season. Teams know we have money so signing players will be dificult. 

But if we can play young players this season then next will bring promotion

I'm going to wait and see who we sign first before reacting strongly one way or another. Aarons is 99% likely to go as well so we'll have around 70m potentially to spend. We won't spend that of course, we'll probably drop about 40-50 but Webber and Farke have a decent budget to work with now for the first time since they've been here.

I said before I don't think our title winning side with no outgoings and only a couple of incoming survive. We're still too small, slow and one paced for the PL. This might not be the worst thing in the world if we can use the money to change the profile of the squad a bit and make us a more effective team.

• Like 1

I’m not in shock, writing was on the wall when Webber said what he said.

If you start a season in the PL by saying your players are for sale at the right price not that they aren’t for sale, them being sold is inevitable.

33 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Exactly this, possibly the right time to let him go but this is definitely not the right club for him. He deserves better

Surely we all knew he was going, I posted a while ago that the removal men had emptied his house the day after the season was done.

The shock is maybe that it's to villa and that surprises me as I can't imagine Dean Smith being the most inspiring manager but they had a good season and have very wealthy backers.

Let's see what rabbit's Webber pulls out of the bag, I'd be really surprised if his replacement wasn't already nailed down but maybe I'm being naive in that thought?!

Shocked? No not in the slightest, apart from the destination I suppose. 

Disappointed? Yes of course. 

Incandescent with rage? Not in the slightest, far too early in the window for that. 

• Like 2

Not shocked he's going, we've had practically 3 threads going ever since the season ended. However, people were largely saying nothing will happen until after Copa America and if Emi has a good one then we're looking at serious wedge and he ends up at a big club.

Instead we sell him in the first week at a knocked down price to a club going nowhere. That's the shocker.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Villa come in for Aarons as well. Can't see him staying now.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Not shocked he's going, we've had practically 3 threads going ever since the season ended. However, people were largely saying nothing will happen until after Copa America and if Emi has a good one then we're looking at serious wedge and he ends up at a big club.

Instead we sell him in the first week at a knocked down price to a club going nowhere. That's the shocker.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Villa come in for Aarons as well. Can't see him staying now.

Max going is a given, even Delia (sober) stated that. 

Once Webber went public with that ridiculous 'come and get them for £30M'  statement it was only ever a matter of time. Every player has his price of course (even Bale and Ronaldo for example) but you just get the impression that we made no real effort to keep him as '£30M' is short change for so called 'big  clubs'. The real test now is how (or IF) we spend some / most / all of that money on new players and what the new team looks like on August 14th. The worrying possibility is that (as last season) Webber trots out the tired old line that ..............'we haven't actually got all the money as it comes in across a few seasons so we can't go out and spend it'!    

11 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

This is perhaps the most articulate summary of how I'm feeling right now I've seen on this forum yet 👏

• Like 1

No shock at all ... this was always the plan wasn't it?

Buy cheap, polish up, sell high, reinvest, repeat.

Villa met the asking price and the order of the food chain rears its head again.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

Once Webber went public with that ridiculous 'come and get them for £30M'  statement it was only ever a matter of time. Every player has his price of course (even Bale and Ronaldo for example) but you just get the impression that we made no real effort to keep him as '£30M' is short change for so called 'big  clubs'. The real test now is how (or IF) we spend some / most / all of that money on new players and what the new team looks like on August 14th. The worrying possibility is that (as last season) Webber trots out the tired old line that ..............'we haven't actually got all the money as it comes in across a few seasons so we can't go out and spend it'!    

But, the 'tired old line' is true.

This is how transfers work ... you don't get all the money up front.

When we buy players we pay in installments too. 

17 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

I’m surprised it’s Villa because I thought better of Emi than that, but not surprised it’s sorted now at all, people were laughing at my suggestion on Thursday night that I expected the transfer done and dusted this weekend before the Copa America kicks off - we all KNOW Webber doesn’t like to faff around on such things and likes business to be done quickly. So no one should be surprised with the speed or timing of this.

Would hazard a guess the club will follow up with some very positive steps over the next week or so - the club are not stupid and will be prepared for the mixed emotions right now, and we have to imagine that they will be keen to bring some positivity to the fan base ASAP.

11 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

I’m surprised it’s Villa because I thought better of Emi than that, but not surprised it’s sorted now at all, people were laughing at my suggestion on Thursday night that I expected the transfer done and dusted this weekend before the Copa America kicks off - we all KNOW Webber doesn’t like to faff around on such things and likes business to be done quickly. So no one should be surprised with the speed or timing of this.

Would hazard a guess the club will follow up with some very positive steps over the next week or so - the club are not stupid and will be prepared for the mixed emotions right now, and we have to imagine that they will be keen to bring some positivity to the fan base ASAP.

The fee is laughable though, that’s the real shock. 

4 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

The fee is laughable though, that’s the real shock. 

Yep, I agree he’s worth more than that, Midlands. The sad thing is Villa will probably lose him at the end of next season for £90 odd million or something ridiculous - now that would be annoying. I get the feeling that despite all the drivel we heard about Emi being happy to stay here next season, talk proved to be cheap and he obviously wanted this move. So see ya. It became a case of getting as much as we could for him and unfortunately Arsenal didn’t take this to a bidding war so I don’t really know what we could have done there, we can’t manufacture make believe bids. Could we have kept him? Sure, but who wants a player playing for the team who doesn’t actually want to be here - I know I don’t.

He’s gone now, and I don’t really feel anything towards him, just looking forward to seeing who we bring in now, and I’d imagine the replacement is someone we’ll have been looking at for some significant time, I think he’ll be decent so am feeling positive.

• Like 1

I am definitely in shock, this is just so under-priced its criminal - and Villa! Jeez give me a break, I don't care what they have offered him, there has to be more to life than money, what a s'hole club and place!

Got to say, 33m is a bargain. If I was a villa fan I'd be ecstatic.

33 is a steal. And we all know villa won't be his end game. He will be a 60 or 90 in a year or two. Fact

Don't forget this is a post Covid transfer market. Prices are expected to be clipped.

Again, do you really think Webber would've undersold him and not grasped every penny? Really? Does that match what you've seen from him thus?

Edited by Cantiaci Canary
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, NeymarSmith said:

Got to say, 33m is a bargain. If I was a villa fan I'd be ecstatic.

33 is a steal. And we all know villa won't be his end game. He will be a 60 or 90 in a year or two. Fact

They can't both be facts. What will he definitely, factually be worth? £60m, or £90m?

• Haha 1

Sadly not shocked, bitterly disappointed. 

One of the very best players to ever play for us and I feel the club couldn't sell him quick enough. 

Gutted beyond belief. 

2 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

The best player probably ever in yellow doesn’t move on for a realistic price.

If we're selling him below a realistic price why haven't other clubs (especially Arsenal) gazumped the Villa bid? 

• Thanks 1

I didn't expect him to be with us at the start of next season but am surprised the deal has been done so quickly & at what looks to be a bargain basement price. The price of players we will want will undoubtedly increase as we will be viewed as a 'moneybags' club by many potential sellers. 

I suspect this means that a deal is, or shortly will, be done for Grealish so I wouldn't expect Villa fans to be jumping for joy just yet.

Really struggling to see how this deal will benefit us in any way, shape or form.