Sign in to follow this  
The Bunny

Selling Emi for 35m doesn't make sense

5 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Oh ok, my bad.  Wow, one goal. 

Thought he was like 3rd in the list of chances created. 

We obviously lacked the quality to capitalise on that, but this is why Villa are giving us £35m for him.

Its almost as if you think Emi will be easy to replace. 

I suspect this move had to happen and we'd promised him we'd sell him this summer, but its definitely still not good news or something to be flippant or too relaxed about. 

Why do people bang on about it being a "fair" price? Why do we have to be fair, is this a little old Norwich thing?

Can't help thinking we dropped our trousers at the first offer coming in.

We will learn what hardball negotiating is when we try to sign a replacement for Emi. It will make £30-£35m even more a giveaway.

36 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Hearing £33m +£5m add ons

Thats criminally undersold.

Maddison went for £25m and that was 3 years ago....and we were in financial trouble then.

Why so early?...why arent we inviting a bidding war???

You cannot compare the Madders sale with the Emi sale..3 years ago we had not had a year or more of Covid...a year or longer with empty stadiums...plus Emi could have gone 6 or 12 months ago but he played his part in securing us the Championship..this could turn out to be 10 million or higher than our previous ever record sale which is massive for a club such as ours who live on  buying / selling at a profit...so get real...this is a realistic and very decent piece of business for the times we are living in.

4 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Thought he was like 3rd in the list of chances created. 

We obviously lacked the quality to capitalise on that, but this is why Villa are giving us £35m for him.

Its almost as if you think Emi will be easy to replace. 

I suspect this move had to happen and we'd promised him we'd sell him this summer, but its definitely still not good news or something to be flippant or too relaxed about. 

Such stats are a just a bit meaningless though - you win games by scoring and keeping clean sheets.

Nowhere did I say that it was ‘good news’ - but IMO we will probably be better off with 2-3 decent players filling gaps than one star (who could get a bad injury at any point), at the same cost.  

Edited by Branston Pickle

2 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Such stats are a just a bit meaningless though - you win games by scoring and keeping clean sheets.

Nowhere did I say that it was ‘good news’ - but IMO we will probably be better off with 2-3 decent players filling gaps than one star (who could get a bad injury at any point), at the same cost.  

I agree that this could be an opportunity to upgrade several positions, centre back for example, but who knows if we'll see that.

3 minutes ago, Essjayess said:

You cannot compare the Madders sale with the Emi sale..3 years ago we had not had a year or more of Covid...a year or longer with empty stadiums...plus Emi could have gone 6 or 12 months ago but he played his part in securing us the Championship..this could turn out to be 10 million or higher than our previous ever record sale which is massive for a club such as ours who live on  buying / selling at a profit...so get real...this is a realistic and very decent piece of business for the times we are living in.

....lets see how much this £33m can actually buy us in todays market first shall we?...and we'll look again.

The money for just being in the premier league covers any covid deficit. Theres no excuse for under selling players

Anything less than £40m is scandalous

Just now, TeemuVanBasten said:

I agree that this could be an opportunity to upgrade several positions, centre back for example, but who knows if we'll see that.

How does it help us upgrade several positions? We are down on emi and skipp before we start and just to replace them would cost more than Webber claims we will spend. 

5 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

You’ve surely got to have some faith that there’s a plan. 

41 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Thought it was always pretty obvious that the way we got Emi back on board early last season was by promising him a move this summer. 

Yes exactly. I think that's why the club won't stand in his way now, clearly Webber told him to risk another season with us and then the door is open.

Just madness he is going to Villa. Any chance Arsenal can still come up with an offer?

2 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

How does it help us upgrade several positions? We are down on emi and skipp before we start and just to replace them would cost more than Webber claims we will spend. 

Well considering several people have reported seeing Skipp in Norwich today on the internet, and somebody has posted a photo of him on here, then perhaps it is giving us the money we need to sign him? Considered that? 

It was so blatantly obvious that we kept Emi on side last season by promising him that it would be just one more year, so don't know why anybody is shocked, Emi hasn't really kept it a secret that he wanted out has he.

But it wasn't long ago that losing Maddison enabled us to win a promotion so don't know how anybody can lack the imagination to see how we could use the Emi proceeds and a bit of the sky money to try and fund Premier League survival. 

If we kept Emi but then replied on Pukki/Hugill/Idah for the goals to stay up this year then sorry but that would lead to our relegation. If selling Emi gives us the moment to sign Periera, Skipp AND Armstrong (just entirely hypothetically, based on recent rumours) then I'd argue that would give us more of a chance. 

As for what Webber claims we will spend (missed that, how much was it?), how do you know he isn't talking about net spend, which is the difference between outgoing fees and incoming fees. If we sell £65m worth of players (lets guess at £30m for Aarons) and then spend £80m on new players, that is a £15m net spend or a £80m gross spend. 

What was the figure and how do you know if he is talking gross or net?

3 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

I am certain there is a plan. But those tend to go wrong st this level due to our wages- and we end up with our C targets not A - and then it all goes south 

3 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

The fact we are getting it done early hopefully means we have a chance to reinvest well. If this had been close of the window would be much worse news.

Not that it isn't already terrible

5 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Well yeah, which is why I started a thread with the title "stay calm guys" and have said several times that this could give us the opportunity to build a squad which may have a better chance of survival.

But I wouldn't be massively surprised if we spent hardly anything and went down, not like we haven't done it before is it. 

Lets wait and see, I'm not panicking until 1st July.

1 minute ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

I am certain there is a plan. But those tend to go wrong st this level due to our wages- and we end up with our C targets not A - and then it all goes south 

...which in turn is great for your doom and gloom posts, so I don’t really see what you’re complaining about.  
Unless I’m wrong and your history is choc-full of upbeat posts...

?

6 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

I'm sure there's a plan. It seems to involve selling our best players and getting relegated again with a bit more money in the bank. 

I guess it's good business in the short term. "Short term" really is the key phrase here though. 

I think it would be an easier pill to swallow if it was Arsenal he was going to. It's hard to take that Villa came up with us 2 years ago and now they have the pull to take our best player. Also feels like a bit of a sideways move for Emi, although I'm sure his wages will go through the roof.

I'm guessing at the most we'll use is £15mil of that on transfer fees, the rest in the bank or towards wages, so don't expect massive money replacements.

• Like 1

Quite. The plan is add £30 million to funds but remove skipp and Emi from starting eleven. 

Given that it would require more than £50 million to replace them. Anyone who thinks there is a positive here is fooling themselves 

• Like 2