Sign in to follow this  
The Bunny

Selling Emi for 35m doesn't make sense

Selling Buendia for £35m doesn't make sense to anyone except Villa. 

Let's ignore for now that selling our best player to a rival after immediately getting promoted displays a total lack of ambition, the like of which we haven't seen since the Chase era. Let's ignore that our club would be making clear right from the start that they're not even going to try to stay up this season. 

Here's the thing: when you look at it coldly, it doesn't even make economic sense. This is a player who's just got a first national callup, he's about to to have another season in the prem to show what he can do at top level. It is highly likely his value is going to increase significantly over the next 12 months. The only universe in which this would make sense is if we're desperate for money (e.g the Maddison sale), but that is clearly not the case now. 

So either Stewart Webber is actually clueless, or this unofficial news will turn out to be nonsense. I'm going to give Webber the benefit of the doubt for now..

Update: it turns out Stewart Webber is actually clueless 😞

Edited by The Bunny

Just now, cambridgeshire canary said:

You missed the added ten million worth of bonuses on that sale and the 'very lare' sell on clause should Villa sell him anytime in the future, just letting you know

great feel so much better because of that lol.

Wait until the end of the window. I like the fact it's done early, so this tells me Webber has a player or two lined up and is probably going to go hard on it with the aim of getting them in for pre-season so they can have a full pre-season gelling with the team instead of the shambles of trying to rush it late.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

You missed the added ten million worth of bonuses on that sale and the 'very lare' sell on clause should Villa sell him anytime in the future, just letting you know

If he has an amazing couple of seasons at villa and they sell him for say 75m and we have 25% sell on that's not bad going. 

The thing is that it does actually make sense - the player wanted out and we got a decent fee for him.  As much as we rate Emi he scored NO goals in the PL last time and is surely a bit of a risk for any buyer at PL level.
For £35m, we should be able to get a couple of decent guys in to strengthen areas of weakness - before complaining too much about this, I think we should wait and see what happens with incoming players .

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 2

Emi was always on borrowed time. In a Covid free year, we'd have sold him a year ago. I agree that villa feels a bit uninspiring, but it is a step up for him, I hate to admit it, but it's true. Also in the current market, 35 mill is realistic.

At least we've done the business early and have time to replace him.

Edited by Wardogz
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Because that will make us competitive on the field this coming season won’t it?

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Thanks, I had missed that, but I don't think that really changes the equation. I'd be amazed if his value hasn't increased another 10m in a year's time, given the current trajectory. 

• Like 1

Just now, Dean Coneys boots said:

Because that will make us competitive on the field this coming season won’t it?

£35m invested in the squad most certainly will.  I suppose one question is: which is better for depth/survival chances 2-3 x £10-£15m players or one £35m player?  In all honesty I think the former.

Whilst it certainly cuts deep that he has been sold (so we believe) it is by no means unexpected. Especially as it is suspected he was given assurances regarding moves if he stayed and help us gain promotion, which he did with aplomb.

Further more, and I do believe he has been one of the most skilful players to turn out for us, he is not the be all and end all of NCFC and its chance of survival next season.

With this move done quickly (why would we want to wait till early August) we can at least look to improve the squad at our pace now. The money reported, in these times, for a player with one failed season in the PL is reasonable I feel.

Would I rather he had stayed? 100% yes. However, he was probably off anyway and I'm still looking forward to our next PL campaign.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Branston Pickle said:

£35m invested in the squad most certainly will.  I suppose one question is: which is better for depth/survival chances 2-3 x £10-£15m players or one £35m player?  In all honesty I think the former.

They are never gonna spend all the money on players... keep dreaming.

2 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Most people on here have been proud of the model we have adopted and this is exactly what happens with said model. 

I really don't think we can blame Webber or the club when we have been lauding the model.

I can understand slight disappointment in Emi, but not Webber or the club.

I get the arguments about "the model", but note my point about it not making economic sense. Why sell a player when we don't need the cash if we could sell him for more in a year, and increase our chances of staying up (which also has economic value).

Surely "the model" dictates that we maximize profit? This just seems like asset stripping. 

Your memory must be shorter than mine. In this division we rarely sign amazing players for £10million we get linked with tantalising players - then miss out due to wage structure etc..then sign crud - Naismith, VWW, Mbokani, Bamford, etc 

9 minutes ago, The Bunny said:

Selling Buendia for £35m doesn't make sense to anyone except Villa. 

You’ve missed that it also makes sense to Emi, you can bet his agent is taking Villa to the cleaners on his contract as we speak.

Just now, The Bunny said:

I get the arguments about "the model", but note my point about it not making economic sense. Why sell a player when we don't need the cash if we could sell him for more in a year, and increase our chances of staying up (which also has economic value).

Surely "the model" dictates that we maximize profit? This just seems like asset stripping. 

Yeah, I understand that point, but if Emi makes it clear he wants to go then it forces our hand somewhat. We risk ending up with a player who doesn't want to be here and could end up being dropped by our coach who is well known for casting aside any player who isn't 100% committed to the team ethic.

As a result, I don't blame the club at all if Emi has pushed for the move.

3 minutes ago, The Bunny said:

Because players hold ALL the cards. 
if Emi wants to move he will regardless of what the club want. 

if Kane wants to leave Spurs, he will regardless of what Spurs want. It’s the nature of the game now. 

To these commenters saying it's par for the course: Can you name one side that got promoted to the Premier League and then immediately sold their best player? I think that's pretty extraordinary behaviour for any football club, sustainable model or no. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Sold way too cheap, Villa have the bargain of the season. 

Totally agree. 

If all Emi wanted was money then we should have given him some! 

Can only hope we have some real humdingers lined up as a replacement. 

4 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Yeah, I understand that point, but if Emi makes it clear he wants to go then it forces our hand somewhat. We risk ending up with a player who doesn't want to be here and could end up being dropped by our coach who is well known for casting aside any player who isn't 100% committed to the team ethic.

As a result, I don't blame the club at all if Emi has pushed for the move.

👍

Pretty much this.

Gutted it's Villa but we have to get maximum profits for a player that wants to move on.

15 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Wait until the end of the window. I like the fact it's done early, so this tells me Webber has a player or two lined up and is probably going to go hard on it with the aim of getting them in for pre-season so they can have a full pre-season gelling with the team instead of the shambles of trying to rush it late.

I remember people saying that last time we were promoted. And then none of the incoming team even made the starting xi and most were loans and all neutrals marvelled at the total lack of ambition  

3 minutes ago, The Bunny said:

To these commenters saying it's par for the course: Can you name one side that got promoted to the Premier League and then immediately sold their best player? I think that's pretty extraordinary behaviour for any football club, sustainable model or no. 

Totally agree - you don’t sell your best players if you want to make a fist of it staying up 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Herman said:

👍

Pretty much this.

Gutted it's Villa but we have to get maximum profits for a player that wants to move on.

The point is we haven’t got the maximum profit, sold way too cheaply. 

Just now, Dean Coneys boots said:

I remember people saying that last time we were promoted. And then none of the incoming team even made the starting xi and most were loans and all neutrals marvelled at the total lack of ambition  

Sam Byram didn't make the team? He was keeping Lewis out for quite a period despite ostensibly being a right-back! He was just unlucky that his injury curse came back as he was looking like an absolute bargain at less than a million.

Fährmann didn't push Krul on to far better levels of performance? Krul really came back to his best that season.

I agree that Amadou and Roberts were failures, as Duda was later on. Rupp didn't start well but more than proved his worth this season.

6 minutes ago, The Bunny said:

I’m afraid this is a very hard point to refute.

Parma

• Like 3