At Brentford there seems to be very little talk of selling the guy that scored them 30 goals because they realise that, even with a very similar business model, you have to keep your very best player to survive and go forward.

We sell Emi we lose our most creative (by a mile) player and a guy that works so hard. You do not improve your team selling a once in a lifetime asset like Emi when you have just been promoted. Could just about stomach selling Max or Todd but this is daft. Can not imagine that Farke would be happy, losing Emi and Skipp from our midfield.

It would be a very very sad depressing day if he goes... I know no other City fan that doesn't feel the same.

Just now, Kenny Foggo said:

At Brentford there seems to be very little talk of selling the guy that scored them 30 goals because they realise that, even with a very similar business model, you have to keep your very best player to survive and go forward.

We sell Emi we lose our most creative (by a mile) player and a guy that works so hard. You do not improve your team selling a once in a lifetime asset like Emi when you have just been promoted. Could just about stomach selling Max or Todd but this is daft. Can not imagine that Farke would be happy, losing Emi and Skipp from our midfield.

It would be a very very sad depressing day if he goes... I know no other City fan that doesn't feel the same.

There’s plenty on here who don’t have a problem with it. 

3 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

I strongly suspect Toney won't do well in the PL. Poor man's Andy Carroll in my opinion.

• Confused 1

Only Emi will know what his true goals are, he might not want to go to Arsenal, or Villa so it might not matter how much money they try to throw at him. He's got at least a season in the PL to put himself in the shop window in a team where he's a key player and well loved, I'm not so sure he's in a rush to leave

Edited by AJ

2 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

There’s plenty on here who don’t have a problem with it. 

Yep. They would probably celebrate the record transfer fee.. not me. St Pauli.. a club I like and have been to see seems to be their inspiration (mid table 2nd tier but..cool). That's fair enough. I'd rather keep Emi and see if we can get the riches offered by the premier league more than once every other year.. imagine that! Imagine wanting to keep your best players... 

7 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

I strongly suspect Toney won't do well in the PL. Poor man's Andy Carroll in my opinion.

Will do well if he gets the service. Born goal scorer.

If one of the ‘top 6’ bid £40m for Toney, then he’s gone.

Difference is, none of them are going to.

Emi is THAT good, he’s stayed a season longer than he probably wanted to and would more than likely have been told for a long time that we won’t stand in his way if our valuation is met.

It’s disappointing but totally understandable from all parties.

If and when it happens, what a player we’ve been treated to seeing in the yellow and green. Simply a football genius.

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Unlike some others I'm sadly accepting that he's pretty much all but already gone. Not going to deny reality.

It's a tough one. We tell anyone after him to get lost, we lose our biggest ever transfer and much needed money due to the Corona situation, and we then anger Emi and his agent from denying him a big money dream move and thus he no doubt hates us for the rest of the season, and possibly causes drama and such. (Like we saw with Cantwell and Leeds.. Thankfuly Cantwell got his head straight in the end mind)

On top of that all our young players and any thinking of joining us will see us as dishonest charlatans who say one thing and then opportunistically block a player when it suits us. Unfortunately there are no halfway measures with our approach other than to hold out for our top valuation every time.

The simple fact is is that a big move for Buendia makes us more attractive to his replacements because they will be hoping to do the same.

• Like 5

Just now, Mr.Carrow said:

On top of that all our young players and any thinking of joining us will see us as dishonest charlatans who say one thing and then opportunistically block a player when it suits us. Unfortunately there are no halfway measures with our approach other than to hold out for our top valuation every time.

The simple fact is is that a big move for Buendia makes us more attractive to his replacements because they will be hoping to do the same.

Exactly, just said the same thing on another thread, Mr C. It’s a shame should it go through, but in this instance there’s not a lot the club can do and people need to understand that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mr.Carrow said:

Being in the top flight and not the 2nd tier makes you more attractive to talent. Keep Emi at least for this year and you will attract far player players. Wages and the competition attract talent not some misguided thought that we are so much better than other so called "charlatans"

1 minute ago, Alex Moss said:

Exactly, just said the same thing on another thread, Mr C. It’s a shame should it go through, but in this instance there’s not a lot the club can do and people need to understand that.

He is under contract. If you don't need to sell you don't have to. 

Being in the top flight and not the 2nd tier makes you more attractive to talent. Keep Emi at least for this year and you will attract far player players. Wages and the competition attract talent not some misguided thought that we are so much better than other so called "charlatans"

We can't compete on wages. We can compete on being a brilliant,honest, reliable path to the top for the best young talent in the world. How highly do you think Buendia would recommend City to his footballing mates in South America if he gets a big move as we promised him? How highly do you think he'd recommend us if we break that promise.

Also, I seem to remember you saying similar things when we sold Godfrey and Lewis. How did that work out for you?

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

There’s no talk of us selling our 30-goal a season striker, either.  

He is under contract. If you don't need to sell you don't have to. 

You’re right, you don’t. But let’s say in short he was promised that he can go if we get back up and he so wishes to? 

You just don’t go back on that, a gentleman’s agreement should always be honoured. It’s a matter of class and respect. 

3 minutes ago, Mr.Carrow said:

We can't compete on wages. We can compete on being a brilliant,honest, reliable path to the top for the best young talent in the world. How highly do you think Buendia would recommend City to his footballing mates in South America if he gets a big move as we promised him? How highly do you think he'd recommend us if we break that promise.

Also, I seem to remember you saying similar things when we sold Godfrey and Lewis. How did that work out for you?

By all means point me to those comments because trust me, I never was upset at Godfrey or Lewis leaving. Never rated Lewis and Gibson is better... Emi totally different matter. Build a team around him.. selling is stupid. 

So you are wrong and it worked out fine thanks.

Weirdly I go to watch players like Emi.. you? Maybe a healthy bank balance is what gets you excited?

5 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

You’re right, you don’t. But let’s say in short he was promised that he can go if we get back up and he so wishes to? 

You just don’t go back on that, a gentleman’s agreement should always be honoured. It’s a matter of class and respect. 

You don't know he was so the argument is all "what ifs". If the club announce that, different matter...

You don't know he was so the argument is all "what ifs". If the club announce that, different matter...

You’re right. But as the possibility still remains then it can’t be ruled out either, whether you like that or not pal. And if it is the case, then there’s your answer why the club can’t stand in his way.

3 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

You’re right. But as the possibility still remains then it can’t be ruled out either, whether you like that or not pal. And if it is the case, then there’s your answer why the club can’t stand in his way.

So no evidence..thanks...pal😜

37 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Yep. They would probably celebrate the record transfer fee.. not me. St Pauli.. a club I like and have been to see seems to be their inspiration (mid table 2nd tier but..cool). That's fair enough. I'd rather keep Emi and see if we can get the riches offered by the premier league more than once every other year.. imagine that! Imagine wanting to keep your best players... 

If we acted like you want us to he'd have left after relegation and we might still be in the Championship. I'm glad Stuart Webber is in your place.

4 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

So no evidence..thanks...pal😜

No evidence your end either, that’s the fun of a message board! Happy Birthday btw 👍

4 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Anyway, its my Birthday and I need to get to sleep. Selling a guy with 15 goals and 17 assists...madness.

Have a good birthday, don’t let the pending sales spoil it 🙂

11 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

By all means point me to those comments because trust me, I never was upset at Godfrey or Lewis leaving. Never rated Lewis and Gibson is better... Emi totally different matter. Build a team around him.. selling is stupid. 

So you are wrong and it worked out fine thanks.

Weirdly I go to watch players like Emi.. you? Maybe a healthy bank balance is what gets you excited?

Fair enough, I'll take your word for it. Yeah I love watching players like Hoolihan, Maddison and Buendia. The thing is the first had to step aside to make way for the second and the second for the third. I'm not claiming we should be happy to lose Buendia, but it's possible the money can bring three players in to significantly strengthen the squad overall.

6 hours ago, Mr.Carrow said:

Fair enough, I'll take your word for it. Yeah I love watching players like Hoolihan, Maddison and Buendia. The thing is the first had to step aside to make way for the second and the second for the third. I'm not claiming we should be happy to lose Buendia, but it's possible the money can bring three players in to significantly strengthen the squad overall.

It's a good point, the latter two especially have come from nowhere to emerge as big talents. Maybe Dowell can do similar?

• Like 1

It doesn't matter what club you are or how much money you have, if a player wants a move, then it's going to happen, and the longer you prevent it, the more chance the player downs tools and you're left paying wages for someone who simply can't be bothered to perform any more.

Yes, it's a sad indictment of player power in the modern game, but it's too easy to just bleat on about contracts, when the reality is that in most cases, a contract isn't worth jack beyond how much you can potentially demand in transfer fees when a player wants to leave.

I firmly believe that everyone at the club would love Buendia to stay, to be happy in his football and give us at least another year or more, but we don't know what the situation is behind the curtain, whether promises were made, what the players career goals and aspirations are etc.

If Emi sees himself at a 'bigger' club that may offer more chance of European football and greater selection chances for his home nation, then it really is best for all parties to do any potential deal quickly, get as much as we can for his prodigious talent, and maintain our reputation of giving younger players a chance and then not standing in their way unfairly when a great offer comes in for them, as this allows us to hopefully keep that conveyor belt of talent rolling.

We have to accept that despite the excellent football we play, the great manager we have, the amazing fans and lovely part of the world to be in, we are NOT a top level club in the eyes of the best players, we're NOT a Barca or Real Madrid, we're not a Man City or Liverpool, we don't have a 50k+ seater stadium or an ultra rich owner who throws money around like it's candy, and thus there will always be situations whereby players either won't come in the first place, or will at some point want to leave for the likes of these other clubs.

All we can do is keep building our reputation, keep climbing the league table, and ideally end up in a position like say Leicester whereby we're challenging for top 4 on a consistent basis, but still accept that if a monster level club rocks up with a cheque for 60+mil, then one of our players will likely be leaving. Did you see anyone calling them stupid or tinpot when they had to sell the likes of Kante or Mahrez to bigger teams???

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Indy_Bones said:

It doesn't matter what club you are or how much money you have, if a player wants a move, then it's going to happen, and the longer you prevent it, the more chance the player downs tools and you're left paying wages for someone who simply can't be bothered to perform any more.

Yes, it's a sad indictment of player power in the modern game, but it's too easy to just bleat on about contracts, when the reality is that in most cases, a contract isn't worth jack beyond how much you can potentially demand in transfer fees when a player wants to leave.

I firmly believe that everyone at the club would love Buendia to stay, to be happy in his football and give us at least another year or more, but we don't know what the situation is behind the curtain, whether promises were made, what the players career goals and aspirations are etc.

If Emi sees himself at a 'bigger' club that may offer more chance of European football and greater selection chances for his home nation, then it really is best for all parties to do any potential deal quickly, get as much as we can for his prodigious talent, and maintain our reputation of giving younger players a chance and then not standing in their way unfairly when a great offer comes in for them, as this allows us to hopefully keep that conveyor belt of talent rolling.

We have to accept that despite the excellent football we play, the great manager we have, the amazing fans and lovely part of the world to be in, we are NOT a top level club in the eyes of the best players, we're NOT a Barca or Real Madrid, we're not a Man City or Liverpool, we don't have a 50k+ seater stadium or an ultra rich owner who throws money around like it's candy, and thus there will always be situations whereby players either won't come in the first place, or will at some point want to leave for the likes of these other clubs.

All we can do is keep building our reputation, keep climbing the league table, and ideally end up in a position like say Leicester whereby we're challenging for top 4 on a consistent basis, but still accept that if a monster level club rocks up with a cheque for 60+mil, then one of our players will likely be leaving. Did you see anyone calling them stupid or tinpot when they had to sell the likes of Kante or Mahrez to bigger teams???

This. 

What a player does is not up to us. It really is quite simple. Yet the gnashing of teeth and pulling of hair will continue. All pointless. Acceptance leads to peace......and progress. I would love Emi to stay.

Would love these just keep Emi fans to walk any distance in Webber's shoes.

what do you do?

treble his wages, essentially telling Pukki, Aarons, Cantwell etc that Buendia is worth three times to us what they are and completely cripple our ability to fend off approaches for anyone else while p1ssing off the other players and causing unrest, spoiling the harmony that has driven this entire project, showing everyone our word means nothing and garnering a reputation for being a club that hinders player progress, limiting our opportunities to sign other ambitious talents and losing our footing as a fledgling development school for young talent.

Or do you just tell him we aren't selling him, upset him personally when he is grossly underpaid at Norwich by the standards of players of his ability, and jeopardise both his and our future with the kind of stubbornness and resolve that works well in the mind of a deluded fan but serves only to make us look regressive rather than progressive if any one player holds the cards against our entire way.

This is why Stuart Webber has his job and you have yours, @Kenny Foggo, which appears to be being a passionate fan with very little knowledge of modern football.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Unfortunately, if Arsenal put in a big bid of around £40m then Buendia will want to go and you could understand why. It's a big move for him in terms of his career to a top club (yes, I know they finished eighth this season) and would probably triple his wages so I certainly wouldn't begrudge him the move.

Also, we've done well to keep hold of him as long as we have done because I was expecting him to go last summer. If the deal struck with him was that he stays one more season and can go if a big club comes in, then I'm sure we'd all have taken that at the time and it would be hard to renege on that now. He stayed, did the business and has earned the move.

Saying that though, he is absolutely priceless to us and £40m wouldn't be enough to make up for his loss to the squad. I know we said it about Maddison, but finding a replacement for Buendia will be truly impossible and our chances of survival would take a massive hit. I doubt even £40m spread over several players in different positions would make up for the loss of a player so special.

I'd be absolutely gutted to lose him, probably more so than any other player I can ever remember us losing, but it seems like it's becoming almost impossible to keep him.

Only because we’ve made it impossible. We’ve imposed a ceiling on ourselves, we’ve encouraged bids by saying every player is available for the right price. Now we seem to have this new narrative amongst the fan base that we can’t hold the players back in their careers which makes us little more than a modern day version of Crewe under Gradi (hopefully without the sex offenders). 

Heaven forbid a player might actually have realistic aspirations of winning something with us! 

7 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

Sorry but that’s nonsense. He’s under contract. The club can just say no.