Sign in to follow this  
Midlands Yellow

Adam Armstrong anyone

8 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Benched for Puki

Back up for Pukki maybe? We need better than we have at the minute or it’s a long season ahead. 

Edited by Midlands Yellow

He scored more than Teemu this season-can’t see why he would come here to play second fiddle.

The line that we won’t spend £15m on one player unless we sell someone says it all. £15m is not a lot at premier league level. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mr Angry said:

He scored more than Teemu this season-can’t see why he would come here to play second fiddle.

Why would he have to be second fiddle? Pukki was good in the Premier League last time but not so good that he should be guaranteed a start. Also Armstrong may give us the option to play out wide or use him and Pukki up front.

2 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

The line that we won’t spend £15m on one player unless we sell someone says it all. £15m is not a lot at premier league level. 

I'm not aware that anyone at the club has said any such thing.

20 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Reality, schmeality. 🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️

12 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Newcastle makes a lot more sense than us

Not sure that is true. Callum Wilson is a given if fit. 

Farke showed last time he isn’t afraid to leave anyone out if they are not performing. 

We certainly need someone else who can score the goals of Pukki is unavailable. It would all depend on fee

28 minutes ago, AJ said:

We certainly need someone else who can score the goals of Pukki is unavailable. It would all depend on fee

And the issue is a paradox. Pukki will, regardless of injuries, be our number one. Farke has said so many times. What sort of 'good always scoring striker' is happy to join a club knowing they will be second fiddle and for a low fee?

4 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

Burnley have never spent more than £15m on a player (Ben Gibson, funnily enough) and this will be their sixth successive year in the Premier League.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Burnley have never spent more than £15m on a player (Ben Gibson, funnily enough) and this will be their sixth successive year in the Premier League.

In fairness they’ve spent £10m and above half a dozen times.

Southampton have said they don't expect to spend more than £10m - £12m on any one player this summer. Lots of clubs are cutting back on spending right now which could help Norwich catch up a little bit, with the right recruitment.

33 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

And the issue is a paradox. Pukki will, regardless of injuries, be our number one. Farke has said so many times. What sort of 'good always scoring striker' is happy to join a club knowing they will be second fiddle and for a low fee?

No striker will join on that premise, which is why it seems the club are not looking for another striker. What it does seem Norwich are doing is looking for a wide player, who can also play striker. Which coincidentally, is what Armstrong can do. (Not that I consider there any chance of Norwich signing him).

Armstrong is excellent. Could be long term successor to Pukki. Only 24, improving every season. Going to be PL quality if not already. We've got a window here and I think we should try to seize it.

I see the two strikers fielded in 4-2-2-2, or 4-2-3-1 formations with Teemu being somewhat higher and Armstrong lower, perhaps in a winger or even false 9 role. If we got Skipp...4-1-3-2...might be ulcer inducing for opposition without risking defence.

Pukki and Armstrong are somewhat similar - which allows them to switch positions. Teemu's playmaking skills are underappreciated and I have a feeling the same is true for Adam. The opposition would face two extremely lethal strikers, which would require atleast 3 defenders to mind them I think. What a nice deterrent!

4 hours ago, king canary said:

Why would he have to be second fiddle? Pukki was good in the Premier League last time but not so good that he should be guaranteed a start. Also Armstrong may give us the option to play out wide or use him and Pukki up front.

There seems to be a large consensus, that I do not subscribe to, that any striker we sign will be a back-up, which is what I was really responding to. I think if we rely on TP too much next season I fear that we will struggle.

Someone posted a stats based article a few weeks ago about the number of “defence splitting passes” and “deep completions” made by each team this season. We were top in both stats but I saw that Blackburn were very high so I wondered if their style of play was similar to ours and if Armstrong would fit in. Then I saw that he was likely to be out of reach financially so I didn’t bother to comment.

2 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Pffft, take you and your facts out of here.

4 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

It's Jimbo, the King of negative Hype. Its fits his agenda,  therefore it's true. Silly you.

Edited by wcorkcanary

27 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

There seems to be a large consensus, that I do not subscribe to, that any striker we sign will be a back-up, which is what I was really responding to. I think if we rely on TP too much next season I fear that we will struggle.

Someone posted a stats based article a few weeks ago about the number of “defence splitting passes” and “deep completions” made by each team this season. We were top in both stats but I saw that Blackburn were very high so I wondered if their style of play was similar to ours and if Armstrong would fit in. Then I saw that he was likely to be out of reach financially so I didn’t bother to comment.

Yeah I'd seen that stat too which is why I think he could be a very interesting target- he seems to thrive on similar types of play as Pukki although I'm not sure you could use them as a front two based on that.

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Yeah I'd seen that stat too which is why I think he could be a very interesting target- he seems to thrive on similar types of play as Pukki although I'm not sure you could use them as a front two based on that.

Yeah, we probably wouldn't be making so many those deep completions and defence splitting passes with 2 up front-not to mention the higher quality of the defences we will be facing. 

Chances are we won't be making as many defence splitting passes without Emi anyway and need to adapt.

Blackburn fans suggesting Hugill could be part of any deal. There’s talk of a 40% sell on clause to Newcastle so any player exchange and cash might tempt them. 

Pukki is a legend don't get me wrong but I think Armstrong will be better. But 15m the rumoured price is bit of a hike. Pound for pound though you'll never get better than teemu 💚

Completely unrealistic transfer. Would go straight against the current transfer strategy wouldnt it?

53 minutes ago, shruk4 said:

Completely unrealistic transfer. Would go straight against the current transfer strategy wouldnt it?

Not if we sold him for 30 million or more in a couple of seasons.

56 minutes ago, shruk4 said:

Yes and yes.

And even if we did sign him some on here would want him to fail just to prove a point that sometimes even if you spend a lot on one player it doesn't mean he's guaranteed to succeed.

We will really struggle; a) if Pukki gets injured b) we don't sign a Premier League quality DM.