Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Finland vs Sweden

5 o clock, sky sports red button. Thankfuly despite having been called back up to the squad Ibrahimovic is injured so won't be playing for Sweden. 

Now many may be thinking 'sure this is a friendly who cares'. Who cares? Who cares? This is one of the biggest nordic matches around. It's pure pride, sweat and tears will be shed. This is a match that Finland have only ever won once.

Come on you Fins 🇫🇮

E2e5O8MWUAIcDZQ?format=jpg&name=small

Edited by cambridgeshire canary
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, curious yellow said:

No Pukki, No Partake 

43 minutes ago, pete said:

Who cares no Pukki as he has said.

Bit odd saying he won't be playing when

A- Every predicted lineup on every site (such as sky sports predicton) has Pukki playing, and most of them were put out yesterday

B- Litteraly the image I posted comes from the offical Finland national team page, was posted this morning to advertise the match and has Pukki in it.

It's an odd one, given he's said to be recovering from injury. Time will tell.

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

6 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

B- Litteraly the image I posted comes from the offical Finland national team page, was posted this morning to advertise the match and has Pukki in it.

Ya mugs. 

It'll be interesting to see what position they play the owl in the picture then. 

Presumably on the wing. 

• Haha 7

3 minutes ago, curious yellow said:

It'll be interesting to see what position they play the owl in the picture then. 

Presumably on the wing. 

Unfortunately it’s just been ruled out, CY - apparently with a torn hamwing injury

4 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Unfortunately it’s just been ruled out, CY - apparently with a torn hamwing injury

That's going to ruffle a few feathers

There's probably a bit more to the Finland / Sweden game as Swedish is also an official language in Finland and there is a Swedish minority there. In fact:

1. One of their smaller political parties (but still in the coalition) is the SFP/RKP, which is a centrist party representing native Swedish speakers.
2. Don't forget the Åland Islands. They're technically part of Finland, but are essentially semi-autonomous (similar to the Faroe Islands and their relationship with Denmark). And they DEFINITELY don't speak Finnish - it's all Swedish-speaking there. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Owl feathers by any chance?

They'd be going down anyway. 😉

1 minute ago, TheGunnShow said:

They'd be going down anyway. 😉

Yep! At least he won't commit a hOWLer.

1 hour ago, Alex Moss said:

Surely that's a  Tawn(y) hamwing injury.... but I couldn't give two hoots 🦉🦉

Edited by wcorkcanary
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

A- Every predicted lineup on every site (such as sky sports predicton) has Pukki playing, and most of them were put out yesterday

It's an odd one, given he's said to be recovering from injury. Time will tell.

Hasn't M Bailey said Pukki has not travelled to this one explicitly?

18 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Surely that's a  Tawn(y) hamwing injury.... but I couldn't give two hoots 🦉🦉

Excellent M, ha ha, a much effort than mine! Owl get my coat I think

On 29/05/2021 at 12:28, curious yellow said:

No Pukki, No Partake 

On 29/05/2021 at 12:42, curious yellow said:

Presumably on the wing. 

Chuckled at both of these.

On 29/05/2021 at 12:42, curious yellow said:

Presumably on the wing. 

I can hear to commentator now, "jennson, to Torrs, to Pukki.. to wit to woooo ,

• Haha 2

On 29/05/2021 at 12:55, TheGunnShow said:

There's probably a bit more to the Finland / Sweden game as Swedish is also an official language in Finland and there is a Swedish minority there. In fact:

1. One of their smaller political parties (but still in the coalition) is the SFP/RKP, which is a centrist party representing native Swedish speakers.
2. Don't forget the Åland Islands. They're technically part of Finland, but are essentially semi-autonomous (similar to the Faroe Islands and their relationship with Denmark). And they DEFINITELY don't speak Finnish - it's all Swedish-speaking there. 

I've had some great trips to Finland.

On one journey I was travelling between to towns on the bus.

I left Kokkola and was travelling to Pietarsaari, when we arrived I was in Jakobstad and had travelled from Karleby.

Although they were only about 25 miles apart Kokkola/Karleby was Finnish speaking and Pietasaari/Jakobstad was Swedish speaking. When in Pietasaari/Jakobstad I made the mistake of saying that they were Swedish but they are very proud Finns. It does make then naturally multi-lingual, one of my friends in Finland works in the Oil business and he conducts business in English, German, Finnish & Swedish. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, glory.win or die. said:

I can hear to commentator now, "jennson, to Torrs, to Pukki.. to wit to woooo ,

Pukki  shoots and hits , the owl only hoots and sh##ts.💩

Edited by Justin time
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

I hear he's a talon-ted player

That's got me hooting with laughter!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, A Load of Squit said:

I've had some great trips to Finland.

On one journey I was travelling between to towns on the bus.

I left Kokkola and was travelling to Pietarsaari, when we arrived I was in Jakobstad and had travelled from Karleby.

Although they were only about 25 miles apart Kokkola/Karleby was Finnish speaking and Pietasaari/Jakobstad was Swedish speaking. When in Pietasaari/Jakobstad I made the mistake of saying that they were Swedish but they are very proud Finns. It does make then naturally multi-lingual, one of my friends in Finland works in the Oil business and he conducts business in English, German, Finnish & Swedish. 

It's a bit different in the Åland Islands as they were a Swedish possession since time immemorial, basically, but this changed when the Russians took over as a result of the Treaty of Fredrikshamn (I think that's the name off the top of my head) back in the early 1800s. They basically ended up as part of the then Duchy of Finland sort of by default despite all being Swedish speakers. So, they tend to speak Swedish and not so much Finnish, not to mention the Åland crisis was one of the first problems the then newly formed League of Nations had to handle not long after the end of World War One.

They've softened a bit towards the Finns in the meantime, but remember, their flag is still essentially the Swedish flag, just with an added red cross inside the yellow one. Not to mention a condition of the Åland Islands becoming part of Finland was that the Finns had to make every effort to enable Ålanders to preserve their way of life and language.

4 hours ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

I hear he's a talon-ted player

Ow-let a chuckle out myself there too!