Sign in to follow this  
Christoph Stiepermann

Ex- Player reception next year

So the likelihood is we'll be seeing James Maddison, Jamal Lewis, Ben Godfrey and probably Emi Buendia and Max Aarons turning to to CR in an opposition kit next year. What do you think the reception will be from the crowd? I'd like to see them get a good reception to be honest. 

I personally wouldn't and don't begrudge any of them for their moves. I also think it send a good message to the rest of the group that even if you move onto bigger things you'll always have a place here which may inspire loyalty and encourage other ambitious young players to sign. 

What does anybody else think? Do you begrudge them any of their moves?

If they behaved with honour whilst playing for us, and didn't try to be too underhand about getting a move, I have no problems giving them a big round of applause regardless of the kit they wear, provided they also don't decry us in any real shape or form either (such as a media interview criticising everything).

Behave with grace and class, I'll be more than happy to reciprocate. They developed with us, we played a part in improving them and gained a nice transfer fee to further improve the team or our facilities and they may also have moved on to international honours, and we can take some satisfaction from the fact we let them gain their wings with us.

2 minutes ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

Didn’t try to be too underhand about getting a move...

Whatever does that mean 🤔 is it on a sliding scale?

Compare Todd when it looked like Leeds might have been after him and he lost his focus somewhat, to Max when Barcelona were sniffing around. Chalk and cheese.

Lewis could have kicked up a big stink when we turned Liverpool down, but he stayed relatively schtum and Newcastle came up with a far bigger bid and a better chance of first-team footy. Fair play to him, he kept his head down and reaped a reward.

There was an amusing moment when we played at Leicester last time and we’d put the ball out for a throw when they had a player injured. From the throw the ball was given to one of their players and everyone stopped , expecting him to return possession but clearly he’d not realised and was suddenly running towards the centre of the pitch at speed and I think it was Hanley that had to step in to stop him, giving away a free kick right on the edge of the box.

This was right in front of us away fans and as you can imagine there was total uproar. Fortunately Maddison then stepped up to calmly pass the ball back to Krul. Which did no harm at all to his reputation with the away fans.

• Like 1

If it’s their first time back then I’ll clap them but Madders has been before so it’s been and gone for me now

Even Peter Crouch got a smattering of applause when he warmed up for Stoke two and a half years ago!

1 hour ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

So the likelihood is we'll be seeing James Maddison, Jamal Lewis, Ben Godfrey and probably Emi Buendia and Max Aarons turning to to CR in an opposition kit next year. What do you think the reception will be from the crowd? I'd like to see them get a good reception to be honest. 

I personally wouldn't and don't begrudge any of them for their moves. I also think it send a good message to the rest of the group that even if you move onto bigger things you'll always have a place here which may inspire loyalty and encourage other ambitious young players to sign. 

What does anybody else think? Do you begrudge them any of their moves?

And Harry Kane.

Robert Fleck is one of my favourite Norwich players so when he played against us for Chelsea for the first time I had mixed feelings but he got a good reception from the travelling fans as he took to the pitch.

That had all changed by halftime when he came off the pitch kissing the badge on his Chelsea shirt with his new team 2-0 up and curses from the away support ringing in his ears.

All was good at the end of the match though as we made a comeback to win 3-2 with Dave Beasant at fault for all 3 goals, the final one being a fumble of a Dave Phillips shot, and the result left Norwich fans celebrating at the top of the premier League.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

And Harry Kane.

To be fair I was only referencing players who have given their all and put it on the line for us and achieved things. yes Harry Kane is an excellent player, possibly even world class, but he didn't achieve anything like what the players I listed did for us. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr Angry said:

Robert Fleck is one of my favourite Norwich players so when he played against us for Chelsea for the first time I had mixed feelings but he got a good reception from the travelling fans as he took to the pitch.

That had all changed by halftime when he came off the pitch kissing the badge on his Chelsea shirt with his new team 2-0 up and curses from the away support ringing in his ears.

All was good at the end of the match though as we made a comeback to win 3-2 with Dave Beasant at fault for all 3 goals, the final one being a fumble of a Dave Phillips shot, and the result left Norwich fans celebrating at the top of the premier League.

I was there for that one. A cracking day out.

Odd fact; we had the *hex over Chelsea then and was only when they became **Chelski under jose that they edged the better 11v11 record.

*and didn't my CFC pals know it!

**and I constantly remind them of this.

If I recall correctly, wasnt there a thread on here a few years back complaining about the home fans clapping of an opposition player being substituted - and again I my recollection is correct, it was Steven Gerrard. 

19 hours ago, Greavsy said:

If I recall correctly, wasnt there a thread on here a few years back complaining about the home fans clapping of an opposition player being substituted - and again I my recollection is correct, it was Steven Gerrard. 

Probably still at the time when there were a large number of  ‘away’ fans more prevalent in home sections, can’t imagine many home fans applauding an opposing substitution, regardless of the player’s reputation, can’t dispute Gerrard’s quality.
I for one am glad they clamped down on the local glory hunters turning up, scattered throughout the ground on the ‘big match days’.

I think most of them will get brilliant receptions from our fans. Young players who give their all for us going on to develop their careers and even international honours. What's not to like?  The more it happens that we sell players on in a similar way, the more times we are going to see a player on an opposition team that we know well and can relate to - and it shows how far and wide the influence of our club on football is growing. 

On a side note, it will make watching other team's matches more interesting to watch. At present I can find little reason to watch Premier League matches generally, but I'll look out for Everton, Leicester, Newcastle for obvious reasons....heck, I might even watch an England match if Godfrey is in the team.........

All of them deserve a decent reception. They gave it everything for us and played a decent number of games, moving on because they played well enough in a city shirt that they had admirers higher up the pyramid, and I don't see any reason why that shouldn't be recognised.

All of them have always treated the club and us fans with dignity and class, never slated us or the club in the press, why would anyone boo just because they left? None of them left under a cloud. I'm surprised this is even a question tbh, I just assumed the default position would be to give them a decent reception.

Harry Kane is an outlier as he did nothing for us and only played like 6 games or something. No reason he would get anything other than an entirely neutral reception like any other opposing player.

Edited by kick it off
  • Like 1

Can't think of many ex canaries in the prem that wouldn't get a good reception. Perhaps Bamford for Leeds given its Leeds and he was utter crap for us!