cambridgeshire canary

Who would you play in your England Euro team?

22 hours ago, Don’t be Krul said:

You mean Henderson who hasn't played for months over Rice? 

Apparently Liverpool say Henderson is fit. Southgate wouldn't have put him in the squad unless he wanted to play him 

35 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Apparently Liverpool say Henderson is fit. Southgate wouldn't have put him in the squad unless he wanted to play him 

Trouble is Dylan, Henderson was always going to make it into the squad, even if he only had 1 leg! Southgate has his favourites and he's one of them. Hasn't played for ages and I know totally different players, but one thing (but not the only thing) Southgate said about Maddison was he didn't make it because he was coming off an injury

36 minutes ago, Don’t be Krul said:

Trouble is Dylan, Henderson was always going to make it into the squad, even if he only had 1 leg! Southgate has his favourites and he's one of them. Hasn't played for ages and I know totally different players, but one thing (but not the only thing) Southgate said about Maddison was he didn't make it because he was coming off an injury

I think Southgate would play Henderson with one leg. I know some don't like him but opposition players hate him. The Mayor said he's the best player he's played against. And let's face it, Madders has a lot of competition for his position whereas Henderson doesn't. 

Having looked at the teams suggested on here,which won't be far out, I'm tempted to bet on England not getting out of the group. 

34 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I think Southgate would play Henderson with one leg. I know some don't like him but opposition players hate him. The Mayor said he's the best player he's played against. And let's face it, Madders has a lot of competition for his position whereas Henderson doesn't. 

Having looked at the teams suggested on here,which won't be far out, I'm tempted to bet on England not getting out of the group. 

Seeing as 4 of the 6 third place teams will progress past the group stage, and England are in a pretty weak group, I feel that would be not the wisest bet. 

GK Henderson

RB TAA

CB Stones

CB Maguire

LB Chilwell 

DM Henderson

DM Rice

AM Sterling 

AM Foden 

AM Mount

ST Kane 

1 hour ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Seeing as 4 of the 6 third place teams will progress past the group stage, and England are in a pretty weak group, I feel that would be not the wisest bet. 

Don't panic, I never bet more than £1.

But I wouldn't even bet that on England beating Croatia or Scotland 

26 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Don't panic, I never bet more than £1.

But I wouldn't even bet that on England beating Croatia or Scotland 

Really? I think England have one of the strongest squads in the tournament. 

Look at the Champions' League final tonight. Walker, Stones, Chilwell, James, Foden, Mount and Sterling all playing. Maybe it is over familiarity with these players that makes many under value them, but they are some of the best in Europe.

Apart from France and maybe Germany, I wouldn't say there is one other nation who can call upon such a depth of talent.

19 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Look at the Champions' League final tonight. Walker, Stones, Chilwell, James, Foden, Mount and Sterling all playing. Maybe it is over familiarity with these players that makes many under value them, but they are some of the best in Europe.

Apart from France and maybe Germany, I wouldn't say there is one other nation who can call upon such a depth of talent.

Belgium, Spain, Italy, Portugal 

2 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Belgium, Spain, Italy, Portugal 

Spain, Portugal and Italy are really poor currently. 

38 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

Spain, Portugal and Italy are really poor currently. 

Belgium aren’t much better. Batshuayi, Benteke, Chadli and Vermaelen still getting called up to their squad. Hasn’t been much coming through after their ‘golden generation’.

They have a good starting XI but beyond that it looks a bit ropey, especially with Hazard so out of form. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, overthebordercanary said:

After tonight's game, it Sterling is anywhere near the starting lineup for England at the euros, Southgate needs shooting 

Yep, I'd like to revise my starting line up, and put Sancho in instead. 

1 hour ago, overthebordercanary said:

After tonight's game, it Sterling is anywhere near the starting lineup for England at the euros, Southgate needs shooting 

And if Reece James isn’t ahead of Walker, shoot him again 

Edited by Fiery Zac
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Agreed, it’s just a shame the talent isn’t evenly spread. I’d definitely sacrifice a right back or two and an attacking midfielder for a defensive centre mid and another quality centre back.

Have to say on that showing from the English players I’m quietly confident we could have a very strong euros.

The Chelsea players were particularly impressive with Chilwell and Mount linking up well most of the night, plus Reece James an absolute tank at the back (I was thinking James would be the right back to drop out of the 33, not sure how you can after that performance).

Could we take all of the four RBs and see Walker at CB in a 5 at the back formation, or James / TAA in midfield? 

Either way you’d have to say anything less than the semis would surely be an underachievement, and anything less than the quarters would be very poor.

49 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Either way you’d have to say anything less than the semis would surely be an underachievement, and anything less than the quarters would be very poor.

Hard targets like that don’t always work at international tournaments. The Euros are particularly weird in the way the groups work. If England win their group (which would seem likely) they face the runner up from the group with France, Germany and Portugal. If they went out to France or Germany in the first knock-out round then although it would be disappointing how far they progressed, there is no shame in losing to either of those teams as they are both very strong. 

It’s probably best England finish runner up in their group and then face the runner up from the group with Spain, Sweden, Poland and Slovakia. Although that would then mean meeting the winner from the Germany/France group in the Quarter Finals!

Unlike the World Cup, England have a tough route to the semis in this Euros. England also have the amazing ability to completely underperform their ability in international tournaments due to overwhelming pressure. 

I can see the benefit in Southgate sticking with players that he’s worked with before. There is so little time for training that bringing in too many changes means a lack of tactical cohesion. Tournaments are often won by the most organised teams rather than those with the most individual talent. 

57 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

It’s probably best England finish runner up in their group and then face the runner up from the group with Spain, Sweden, Poland and Slovakia. 

Do you mean the winner of that group?

5 minutes ago, kirku said:

Do you mean the winner of that group?

Nope - the runner up.

That’s how odd the Euros is now. 4 of 6 third place teams also getting out of the groups it has complicated everything. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Fiery Zac said:

And if Reece James isn’t ahead of Walker, shoot him again 

Don't get your hopes up we all know how Southgate loves playing favorites over form (Or as he would put it 'Playing the players I know and trust)

7 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Hard targets like that don’t always work at international tournaments. The Euros are particularly weird in the way the groups work. If England win their group (which would seem likely) they face the runner up from the group with France, Germany and Portugal. If they went out to France or Germany in the first knock-out round then although it would be disappointing how far they progressed, there is no shame in losing to either of those teams as they are both very strong. 

It’s probably best England finish runner up in their group and then face the runner up from the group with Spain, Sweden, Poland and Slovakia. Although that would then mean meeting the winner from the Germany/France group in the Quarter Finals!

Unlike the World Cup, England have a tough route to the semis in this Euros. England also have the amazing ability to completely underperform their ability in international tournaments due to overwhelming pressure. 

I can see the benefit in Southgate sticking with players that he’s worked with before. There is so little time for training that bringing in too many changes means a lack of tactical cohesion. Tournaments are often won by the most organised teams rather than those with the most individual talent. 

Yeah in fairness I did originally add the caveat of ‘depending on the circumstances’ but removed it before posting. There’s certainly no shame in exiting to France or Germany early on, I must admit I didn’t realise we could play them so soon. I would fancy to give Germany a good game, but would understand if we were knocked out to either of those two whatever the situation - would still be gutting to go out so early though!  

On 28/05/2021 at 18:20, Don’t be Krul said:

You mean Henderson who hasn't played for months over Rice? 

People on here are putting grealish in who hasn't played much football for a while. I hope he dont play. Can't stand him and so over rated 

Henderson 

Walker      Maguire      Shaw 

Godfrey

Bellingham          Rice

Sancho    foden     sterling 

Kane

Edited by GodlyOtsemobor

France to win it

Portugal to go close should they keep their first 11 fit.

So difficult to work out who might play who because of the stupid format

10 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I can see the benefit in Southgate sticking with players that he’s worked with before. There is so little time for training that bringing in too many changes means a lack of tactical cohesion. Tournaments are often won by the most organised teams rather than those with the most individual talent

Wow what an even more demotivating leader than before you’ve made Southgate sound.

You’ve been the best English player in your position this season, worked your socks off for this opportunity and it could be the only chance you get to play at a major tournament....sorry, my ageing mate who’s organised is playing instead.

10 minutes ago, Fiery Zac said:

Wow what an even more demotivating leader than before you’ve made Southgate sound.

You’ve been the best English player in your position this season, worked your socks off for this opportunity and it could be the only chance you get to play at a major tournament....sorry, my ageing mate who’s organised is playing instead.

If the ageing organised mate is more likely to help win the trophy, then sod the 'best player'. The aim is to win the trophy rather than reward players for good form.

4 hours ago, Ward 3 said:

People on here are putting grealish in who hasn't played much football for a while. I hope he dont play. Can't stand him and so over rated 

You wouldn't say he was overrated if he played for us. He's a  very talented guy.....bit of an idiot but a great footballer nonetheless. He's one of those players  that people dislike unless they played for their  team then they'd  love him.

1 hour ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

If the ageing organised mate is more likely to help win the trophy, then sod the 'best player'. The aim is to win the trophy rather than reward players for good form.

We’ll see. This England squad (certainly in an attacking sense) is good enough to win the Euros.

Let’s see if the incredibly poor season and clearly inferior player Sterling, gets in ahead of Foden/Greenwood/Grealish. Does anybody really believe we have a better chance of winning with Sterling?

Edited by Fiery Zac

1 hour ago, Fiery Zac said:

We’ll see. This England squad (certainly in an attacking sense) is good enough to win the Euros.

Let’s see if the incredibly poor season and clearly inferior player Sterling, gets in ahead of Foden/Greenwood/Grealish. Does anybody really believe we have a better chance of winning with Sterling?

I think that's incredibly harsh on Sterling. His season probably only seems poor by his own high standards.

He is actually the only one of those four players to have scored double figures in the league season, and his goal/assists combined total (18) is matched only by Grealish.

2 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

You wouldn't say he was overrated if he played for us. He's a  very talented guy.....bit of an idiot but a great footballer nonetheless. He's one of those players  that people dislike unless they played for their  team then they'd  love him.

I would say exactly the same thing as I am now mate. Does he really drag villa out of the Ipswich when they're losing? No and he does sound short passes and gets praised for it. Ball retention I get that but he does such needless passes sometimes and is a c..k

On 28/05/2021 at 22:00, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

Shilton

Butcher

Mills

Sansom

Thompson

Coppell

Rix

Robson

Wilkins

Francis

Keegan, could not bring myself to type Mar**** (Is a wan*er)......

Any way we could shoehorn a Hoddle or a Waddle in there somewhere? Or are they still a bit wet behind the ears?