cambridgeshire canary

Who would you play in your England Euro team?

Given the players have of course all been called up recently, thought this might make for a fun little discussion. Who would you start in your 11 and why? I'm going for a little more controversial to reel in the debate 😉

england.png

Pickford

Chelsea right back

Maguire 

Stones

Chillwell

Phillips

Henderson 

Mount

Bellingham 

Foden 

Rashford 

It beggars belief that England will go into the tournament with those two centre halves but who else is there? 

Edited by dylanisabaddog

9 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Pickford

Chelsea right back

Maguire 

Stones

Chillwell

Phillips

Henderson 

Mount

Bellingham 

Foden 

Rashford 

It beggars belief that England will go into the tournament with those two centre halves but who else is there? 

Chelsea right back? César Azpilicueta? He's English? News to me 😉😉

43 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Pickford

Chelsea right back

Maguire 

Stones

Chillwell

Phillips

Henderson 

Mount

Bellingham 

Foden 

Rashford 

You mean Henderson who hasn't played for months over Rice? 

9 minutes ago, Don’t be Krul said:

You mean Henderson who hasn't played for months over Rice? 

Don't think either of them should be playing but its gonna be one of the other knowing Southgate 

God knows he loves playing defensive midfielders in the middle..

Henderson (But it’ll be Pickford)

TAA (Southgate is an idiot if he doesn’t pick and start him)

Stones

Maguire

Shaw (far far better season than Chilwell)

Rice

Henderson

Mount

Grealish

Foden

Kane

Edited by Fiery Zac

All depends how serious Maguires injury is, but this is my england team

Pickford

Trippier, Stones, Maguire/Coady, Shaw

Rice, Bellingham

Foden, Mount, Grealish

Kane

36 minutes ago, Fiery Zac said:

TAA (Southgate is an idiot if he doesn’t pick and start him)

What about Walker? Best right back in the country this season.

Better defensively and a threat going forward.

1 minute ago, GJP said:

With the options that we've got (three from TAA, Walker, Trippier and James will go, I imagine) we can pick it on a match-by-match basis. TAA might be a better fit in games we're expected to dominate, with one of the others in games against stronger sides.

10 minutes ago, GJP said:

Definitely not the best right back this season and not at his usual high standards.

Walker isn’t significantly better defensively than TAA but his recovery pace is fantastic and that covers for his often poor decision making higher up the pitch.

TAA had an poor first half of the season that coincided with Liverpool’s injury crisis that affected the defence and holding midfielder positions. He has since proven he is the best RB in the country and his set piece and crossing ability is reason enough for him to be in the team. Even more so knowing it’ll be Kane in the box ready to head those crosses in.

1 minute ago, Fiery Zac said:

Walker isn’t significantly better defensively than TAA but his recovery pace is fantastic and that covers for his often poor decision making higher up the pitch.

I would say he is quite a bit better in defensive situations - although TAA has improved a bit now.

Does Guardiola usually pick players who make poor decisions??

Having said that, I do generally agree with most of the team you've picked and your other comments.

5 minutes ago, GJP said:

I would say he is quite a bit better in defensive situations - although TAA has improved a bit now.

Does Guardiola usually pick players who make poor decisions??

Having said that, I do generally agree with most of the team you've picked and your other comments.

Guardiola hasn’t picked him anywhere near as often though, that’s the point. It’s Walkers least appearances in a season for Man City, and 12 less than TAA managed at Liverpool (when he had also had a spell out injured). I’d say Walkers time at City is coming to an end. Guardiola has  better options.

Also a quick look at a comparison shows TAAs had the better season. More goals (2-1), more assists (7-1!) and more clean sheets (10-9).

Defensively sound and light years ahead in terms of attacking ability and end product makes TAA a no brainer for me. For our defensive coach (who should never have got the job in the first place), it looks a lot different.

I would take both of them tbf. I wouldn't take Trippier. 

21 minutes ago, GJP said:

Agreed. TAA, Walker and James (with James being able to play other positions if needed

26 minutes ago, GJP said:

3 minutes ago, Fiery Zac said:

Agreed. TAA, Walker and James (with James being able to play other positions if needed

It would be tough to leave out Trippier. He's a key player for Atletico Madrid, who won La Liga ahead of Real Madrid and Barcelona this season. For me, he goes, and it's James who'd miss out. It's highly likely that Southgate will take three and I just think the trio that offers the greatest variety of attributes are TAA, Walker and Trippier.

I think the thing with Trippier is that he's not really strong defensively, probably the weakest of the options when you get him one on one. And though he is good on the ball is he any better than TAA?  His lack of pace is a problem at both ends of the pitch.

Southgate goes on about how he can play on the left side too but really he's the same as any other right sided playing on the left. He's not natural and he cuts in all the time.

3 minutes ago, GJP said:

I think the thing with Trippier is that he's not really strong defensively, probably the weakest of the options when you get him one on one. And though he is good on the ball is he any better than TAA?  His lack of pace is a problem at both ends of the pitch.

Southgate goes on about how he can play on the left side too but really he's the same as any other right sided playing on the left. He's not natural and he cuts in all the time.

I wouldn't say that Trippier is slow though, and you don't become an undroppable regular in a Simeone back four unless you're defensively sound.

It just shows the depth in that position that we have Walker, TAA, Trippier and James in the initial squad plus Wan-Bissaka who doesn't even get a serious mention. Three of those are still under 23, and with players like Aarons and Lamptey coming through too it's going to be a fierce contest for a decade.

24 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I wouldn't say that Trippier is slow though, and you don't become an undroppable regular in a Simeone back four unless you're defensively sound.

It just shows the depth in that position that we have Walker, TAA, Trippier and James in the initial squad plus Wan-Bissaka who doesn't even get a serious mention. Three of those are still under 23, and with players like Aarons and Lamptey coming through too it's going to be a fierce contest for a decade.

He's not quick. He doesn't really have much of a change of pace which has always been a problem. A lot of players can run at an ok speed in a straight line over a distance. It's the bursts of acceleration that make a difference.

I do get that he's done well for Atletico. And Simeone teams are well drilled,  defensive outfits but England isn't a Simeone team. And while he might get in the Atletico team would he get in any of the top teams in England? Probably not.

I still think he'll go as I think Southgate likes to have some "steady" players. 

Good debate thread without doubt.

We clearly have capable players going forward and getting the balance right will be key. Southgate does seem to have a few players that are regular starters if available, namely Pickford, Maguire, Rice, Mount, Sterling and Kane so I think it is who plays round that core group.

I will go for (4-3-3)

Pickford,

Walker, Stones, Maguire, Chillwell

Rice,

Mount, Foden,

Sancho, Kane, Sterling, 

but I have a feeling it’s likely to be Phillips/Henderson for Sancho/Foden. Grealish will be his wildcard of the bench

Edited by Big O

1 hour ago, Big O said:

Good debate thread without doubt.

We clearly have capable players going forward and getting the balance right will be key. Southgate does seem to have a few players that are regular starters if available, namely Pickford, Maguire, Rice, Mount, Sterling and Kane so I think it is who plays round that core group.

I will go for (4-3-3)

Pickford,

Walker, Stones, Maguire, Chillwell

Rice,

Mount, Foden,

Sancho, Kane, Sterling, 

but I have a feeling it’s likely to be Phillips/Henderson for Sancho/Foden. Grealish will be his wildcard of the bench

I think Grealish will start (quite rightly) and I have a horrible feeling that Foden will be the one on the bench. I hope not as above all others, Foden deserves to start after the season he’s had, but it’s Southgate so there’ll be a fair bit of controversy.

Southgate will play Rice and Henderson because that's what he does. Mount and Kane are also certain starters. I think Rashford will start ahead of Sancho.

If Maguire is fit, he also starts.

So the team will be Pickford, Walker, Stones, Maguire, Chilwell, Rice, Henderson, Mount, Rashford, Kane and one of Sterling/Foden/Grealish.

Foden would be the second player on my teamsheet after Kane. Southgate is pretty set in what he does so as others have said, fully expect Pickford, Maguire, Henderson and Mount to play. My worry is that Foden gets ignored and he goes with Rashford and Sterling (not sure what’s gone on there, has seemed really disinterested the last few times I’ve watched him). However, with the likes of that bunch Foden/Sterling/Rashford/Mount/Grealish/Sancho etc and Kane, you’d hope we’d be exciting to watch. But we’ll probably play two holding mids and four right backs in every game despite having such a wealth of attacking talent. And that’s without Madders. 🤷‍♂️

21 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Chelsea right back? César Azpilicueta? He's English? News to me 😉😉

Reece James. I think you will find he's English