Can't see Webber letting the entire nucleus of the team go, regardless of what he says. It's all "might" and "could"... Nothing concrete. 

I remember other players being touted with moves in the past and, one season, keeping Grant Holt was our best bit of business. But it was widely circulated in the media that he was going. The feeling of joy and relief for the fans after that was palpable and almost the same as making an exciting signing in terms of the reaction. It could be a bit of spin so that when we do keep hold of the stars it seems as though they've done some incredible work yet again. 

I'm hoping this is the case 😊

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jaberry2 said:

I think Emi will go. I think they'll be enough interest in him that he will leave. But like Bethnal said, its hard to tell clubs financial position after COVID. Arsenal dont have that much money and £40m would most likely be most / if not all the budget.

I suppose the question is, Webber has unearthed some gems, but a number of his signings have also been turd. What are peoples thoughts on him being able to get it right this time round with signings in the prem?

Webber has signed well when in champ but so far struggled in Premiership because our budget is bargain basement and the step up is huge 

47 minutes ago, GenerationA47 said:

Hi BY&G, your post offers us some crumbs of comfort (so thanks!)

I was wondering if the Emi figure is likely to be what Norwich want, or what Norwich ‘want’ ... a la “Norwich ‘want’ £50m for Ben Godfrey” Norwich sell Ben Godfrey for £25m

Different game this team, we are in the riches of the prem. £40m will be the absolute minimum!

I'd like us to sit down with Emi and get him financially rewarded but with the promise if we can't stay up he's welcome to leave, I think Todd and Aarons being youngsters with Norwich gives them a bit more loyalty towards the club, they have time ahead of them and another full season in the PL whether it goes well or not will not harm their stock one bit.

Of the 3, Aarons is probably the easiest to replace, as shown with Dimi down the left there are options out there. Attacking players like Todd and Emi are much, much harder. Yes we'll probably get £40m+ for Emi, but how much would a like-for-like replacement cost...? 

1 minute ago, AJ said:

I'd like us to sit down with Emi and get him financially rewarded but with the promise if we can't stay up he's welcome to leave, I think Todd and Aarons being youngsters with Norwich gives them a bit more loyalty towards the club, they have time ahead of them and another full season in the PL whether it goes well or not will not harm their stock one bit.

Of the 3, Aarons is probably the easiest to replace, as shown with Dimi down the left there are options out there. Attacking players like Todd and Emi are much, much harder. Yes we'll probably get £40m+ for Emi, but how much would a like-for-like replacement cost...? 

A pre-packaged like-for-like replacement would presumably also cost £40m, but a player of that value wouldn't come to Norwich. Only option is to gamble on potential.

2 hours ago, ROBFLECK said:

Have to agree... Losing the main players that got us up would mean a very , very tough season ahead imho No player is irreplacable , but they're part of the core of this side and that is a difficult thing to patch up in a few months , especially after a promotion and a "shoestring budget" comparing to the competitors.

If we get £100m for the three of them our budget is no longer shoestring.

12 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I'm so shocked at who the OP of this thread is.

I know, they are usually so upbeat about everything!

Did we not get the exact same ‘woe is us’ threads last season?...it all turned out ok.

9 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

I know, they are usually so upbeat about everything!

Did we not get the exact same ‘woe is us’ threads last season?...it all turned out ok.

We get it every season. Literally every season. To be fair, it gives them about a 50% success rate but it's just so boring and predictable.

24 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I'm so shocked at who the OP of this thread is.

You might enjoy a football forum, created to enable people to discuss, much more if you engaged in the debates rather than just making ad hominem attacks against posters you dislike. 

18 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

You might enjoy a football forum, created to enable people to discuss, much more if you engaged in the debates rather than just making ad hominem attacks against posters you dislike.

Binner

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Yeah, but there's a limit.

• Like 1

I do think we have reached a new low in our modern history , we normally worry about losing our prize assets after relegation but know it is happening when we get promoted to the premier league 

What should be an exciting few months is turning into a nightmare of lack of ambition

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Uncle Fred said:

I do think we have reached a new low in our modern history , we normally worry about losing our prize assets after relegation but know it is happening when we get promoted to the premier league 

What should be an exciting few months is turning into a nightmare of lack of ambition

Oh, Waveney.

3 hours ago, NeymarSmith said:

where for Max? Spurs- hmm really want to go there? Man city and utd Liverpool Chelsea all have great RB. Maybe lcfc?

The recruitment team were keen on Max but Mourinho overruled them because he wanted the taller, more experienced option in Doherty. They may retain that interest but it will depend on the new manager and offloading Doherty and/or Aurier.

Everton are in need of a right back, with Seamus Coleman 33 next season. They are backed by a wealthy benefactor in Moshiri, so I doubt finances would be too much of an issue for them. 

Whilst I would say they are the two most obvious clubs, it seems like the list of suitors seems endless and a European club, like Roma or Barca, could come out of the blue again.

With Emi, I have a feeling that an impressive cameo for Argentina will make clubs believe the hype and spark them into action. They will know that his price will rocket if he performs will in the PL or on the international stage and convince them that he'd be worth the 40 million pound investment. 

I'm not so sure about Todd. I personally think he's really matured during the second half of this season but I don't think that he has the pace, power or consistency for them to justify spending 25 million pounds on him. I think he will impress next year - and that's when the bids will come in.

58 minutes ago, Uncle Fred said:

Now that we've got promoted I see it as win-win. We don't have to sell anyone and can offer premier league football, so players will only leave it strengthens the club overall. If we'd stayed down we'd probably need to sell one or two players to balance the books, but not now. We've just got to trust the club to make good choices from the position of strength that they find themselves in

5 hours ago, Uncle Fred said:

Lack of ambition.com

Sorry but that's not fair on the club. There is nothing we can do if players want to leave. It's the way of the world and you can count on one hand the number of clubs in the world it doesn't apply to. 

Even if we had hugely rich backers players would still want to move on. If Leicester can't keep hold of their players and Liverpool can't hang on to Wijnaldum and Spurs can't keep Kane what hope have we got? 

Edited by dylanisabaddog
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Why wouldn’t max want to go to Spurs?

Well, bar the wages and that lovely new stadium, I'd argue that spurs are a club in decline. Bale won't return. The back line is aging. No European football next term so I'd assume it won't be a tip top manager (especially if Levy is staying) Kane is going, so it leaves son, who surely won't be expected to drag that lot to top six. So, where's the pull bar finance? 

Consider as well what a pain it is to get if you want to leave (as in if he saw spurs as a stepping stone, pffft, good luck getting out)

24 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Sorry but that's not fair on the club. There is nothing we can do if players want to leave. It's the way of the world and you can count on one hand the number of clubs in the world it doesn't apply to. 

Even if we had hugely rich backers players would still want to move on. If Leicester can't keep hold of their players and Liverpool can't hang on to Wijnaldum and Spurs can't keep Kane what hope have we got? 

Agree. The alternative to selling and reinvesting is keeping hold of all three and having very little to spend. It's a catch 22 situation, where both scenarios can be criticised for showing a lack of ambition. 

4 hours ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Different game this team, we are in the riches of the prem. £40m will be the absolute minimum!

Hopefully (mainly so we’re less likely lose him)

• Like 1

I think people need to cut the OP some slack. If your parents had named you after a 'striker' whose only goal came off their posterior you would probably have a fairly jaundiced and depressed view of life...🤩

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

I hope we have some good players lined up as it is increasingly looking like we could lose all 3 of our stars...Emi is a dead cert I think, Aarons very likely and Toddy could be tempted. It’s going to be an interesting summer...

I'm sorry to have to tell you that our 5 crown jewels were actually all sold in October last year. 

How do I know? Well the post below (which is about as sensible as yours btw) confirms it.

56 minutes ago, NeymarSmith said:

Well, bar the wages and that lovely new stadium, I'd argue that spurs are a club in decline. Bale won't return. The back line is aging. No European football next term so I'd assume it won't be a tip top manager (especially if Levy is staying) Kane is going, so it leaves son, who surely won't be expected to drag that lot to top six. So, where's the pull bar finance? 

Consider as well what a pain it is to get if you want to leave (as in if he saw spurs as a stepping stone, pffft, good luck getting out)

I’d imagine they are having a massive overhaul this summer and have an excellent midfielder (Skipp) coming in.

If I wasn’t a Norwich fan, I’d play for Spurs over us anyway! 

Sorry, can I just check which “three” we are actually talking about? - I imagine it includes two who weren’t even considered to be in our top 3 for POTS, and who barely got a mention. Just saying.

1 hour ago, NeymarSmith said:

Spurs are in Europe next year and it will be their 12th season in a row. They're not quite as strong as two or three years ago, but you'd still fancy them to qualify again next season, with or without Kane, as the £100m they'd get for him would be mostly reinvested. They'd also be an attractive proposition for a fairly big name coach, too. Added to the obvious factor that they would be able to double or treble Max's wages, I'd say Spurs would still be a very attractive proposition.

I'm not sure why we're seeing people saying that Buendia has no reason to join Arsenal and Aarons has no reason to join Spurs. They are both clearly far bigger clubs than us who could offer three times the wages, European football more often than not (although obviously Arsenal failed to qualify this season) and a better shop window for their international aspirations. Would anyone be saying this about Watford or Brighton players being linked with Arsenal or Spurs?

Stuart Webber has always been absolutely clear when he says that as a self funding club, any of our players could go if the right offer comes in. If someone came in for Krul or Hanley or even Gibson with the right money and the right opportunity for the player, then the move would happen.

I'm afraid that is part and parcel of being a Norwich fan at this time. 

selling all 3 is giving up on staying up,  Even if we bump their wages up to keep them, if thats the difference and keeps us up its money well spent, a few years of Premier League money is what we need to stabilise in the top flight. 

Just now, Haus said:

selling all 3 is giving up on staying up,  Even if we bump their wages up to keep them, if thats the difference and keeps us up its money well spent, a few years of Premier League money is what we need to stabilise in the top flight. 

Except it really isn't. The two don't really go together at all as this is largely outside the clubs control. Should we get offers for all three that meet the clubs estimation of the players then they will go. The key is the club stands it ground and make sure the fees are appropriate (and yes that does include raising the prices of those left if and when one or more of the three leave). The club will never "bump the wages" up enough for the players to stay and if the majority of Webber's budget goes into the pockets of Buendia, Aarons & Cantwell that is not necessarily the difference that keeps us up. Afterall, the three all played when we were relegated last time. What will make the difference is who is incoming. As it happens any approaches appear to be in the realm of rumour, rather than fact, and I wouldn't be surprised if all three are here when the season starts. That would please me, but I suepect derail Webber's plans.

• Like 1

With all three maintained we surely have a decent chance of doing well enough next season.

Losing Max may or may not reduce that chance ... it depends upon the (defensive) quality of his intended replacement.

Losing Emi and TC and then we have a problem Housten ... UNLESS the money received is spent with total expertise and nous in the transfer market.

All will not be lost, but a struggle will ensue.

We do have some decent up and comings ... Mumba and Martin especially ... but up and comings is what they are.

Sorensen might be an ace in the pack ... as indeed is Placheta (although many have written him off.) Idah is either ready now or will be forever Champs level. 

It's never boring being a yo-yo club. Delia hates the term. I don't mind it.

• Like 1