I hope we have some good players lined up as it is increasingly looking like we could lose all 3 of our stars...Emi is a dead cert I think, Aarons very likely and Toddy could be tempted. It’s going to be an interesting summer...

Yep, beginning to think that myself. Had previously thought that whilst Max leaving is a given, Emi would stay another year and Todd would commit to a new contract.

Now feels as if Max is still a given, Emi is heading that way as well and, after SW's comments re.Todd, his thinking may now be on moving as well whilst his stock is high. And guess they're all much more valuable as players at a recently promoted to the Premier League as champions club than a possibly relegated one twelve months down the line and with a year less remaining on their contracts.

Chris Woods and Dave Watson stayed on for a year to help us get back up then left. We replaced them though so, maybe...

If they all go then they all go.

We take the money and invest and we all trust in Webber and Scott to pick up some gems that move us forward.

To be honest, that's all we can do as fans 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

• Like 5

We were saying this last summer. At the end of the day someone has to come up with the dosh to buy them. I'm not convinced there is that money around for the fees we are after.

I still live in hope all 3 will be here, but Emi is looking highly unlikely. 

If Atletico do make a firm bid it could be a tricky decision for Emi. Stop at Norwich to help the team stay up or play Champions league, fight for another Spanish title and triple your wages. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Whenever I consider the extremes, I flip it & consider the polar opposite; yes we could lose all 3 - however we *could* retain all 3 couldn't we? If they do go, we get lots of £ & opportunities to grow in other ways. Pretty cool either way really...

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Norfolk Mustard said:

Whenever I consider the extremes, I flip it & consider the polar opposite; yes we could lose all 3 - however we *could* retain all 3 couldn't we? If they do go, we get lots of £ & opportunities to grow in other ways. Pretty cool either way really...

Liking the cut of your jib, Mr Mustard.

1 hour ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

I hope we have some good players lined up as it is increasingly looking like we could lose all 3 of our stars...Emi is a dead cert I think, Aarons very likely and Toddy could be tempted. It’s going to be an interesting summer...

Have to agree... Losing the main players that got us up would mean a very , very tough season ahead imho No player is irreplacable , but they're part of the core of this side and that is a difficult thing to patch up in a few months , especially after a promotion and a "shoestring budget" comparing to the competitors.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Norfolk Mustard said:

Trouble is the impact of losing them would be instant, whereas the potential benefits would take longer to realise. For example much of the money received would be over a period of time and any new players would actually have to be good, and integrate bloody quickly.

• Like 1

For each of the '3' that is sold the price of the next one will increase exponentially as Norwich are in a stronger bargaining position. There is a lot of talk around Buendia, but it is unclear how many clubs will actually make a hard offer, and whether any will be prepared to make an offer that matches Norwich's valuation. 

The Arsenal interest will die away pretty quickly if they secure Odegaard anyway. While it looks a bit bleak now and likely at least Emi will go, it wouldn't take much for all the interest to pass. I still can't see any team outside of England being prepared to spend close to the £40m figure that Norwich are rumoured to want.

As everyday goes by there are more and more stories of the financial impacts of Covid on football teams. Look at Inter, just won the league and now need to sell €80m worth of players, Zidane is leaving Real as it seems that they will not be able to significantly strengthen this summer. Barcelona are relying on selling players, but who is really going to want to sign Coutinho who has been poor for them and is on over €300k a week?

There are very few clubs with money to spend, and if they have money, a lot of them won't be looking at Emi - who is a relative unknown outside of England. Clubs want high profile players if they are spending all their money on them.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Norfolk Mustard said:

Agreed, we haven't previously had the luxury of 3 such players , at a peak time, to either sell or keep, but I would also say we haven't had the level of nous behind the scenes (Webber et al) to maximise these opportunities either, whichever way the dice roll. 

28 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Trouble is the impact of losing them would be instant, whereas the potential benefits would take longer to realise. For example much of the money received would be over a period of time and any new players would actually have to be good, and integrate bloody quickly.

Any money out would also be over a period of time - so there’s no particular issue from that perspective.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

For each of the '3' that is sold the price of the next one will increase exponentially as Norwich are in a stronger bargaining position. There is a lot of talk around Buendia, but it is unclear how many clubs will actually make a hard offer, and whether any will be prepared to make an offer that matches Norwich's valuation. 

The Arsenal interest will die away pretty quickly if they secure Odegaard anyway. While it looks a bit bleak now and likely at least Emi will go, it wouldn't take much for all the interest to pass. I still can't see any team outside of England being prepared to spend close to the £40m figure that Norwich are rumoured to want.

As everyday goes by there are more and more stories of the financial impacts of Covid on football teams. Look at Inter, just won the league and now need to sell €80m worth of players, Zidane is leaving Real as it seems that they will not be able to significantly strengthen this summer. Barcelona are relying on selling players, but who is really going to want to sign Coutinho who has been poor for them and is on over €300k a week?

There are very few clubs with money to spend, and if they have money, a lot of them won't be looking at Emi - who is a relative unknown outside of England. Clubs want high profile players if they are spending all their money on them.

I agree with all of this, and actually I worry that the knock on from Covid is going to cause us more issues than if we did sell one or two of them.  If we could sell Emi/Max this summer for say £70m combined, that would be an amazing return for the club.  But if they stay, and we struggle or fail to stay up we wont be getting £70m then - and who is to say that football finances will have recovered by then? 

I think the club probably know that this summer is the optimal time to sell at least two of them or gamble with losing out on a significant bump in revenue in 2022.

Edited by ncfcstar

I think Emi will go. I think they'll be enough interest in him that he will leave. But like Bethnal said, its hard to tell clubs financial position after COVID. Arsenal dont have that much money and £40m would most likely be most / if not all the budget.

I suppose the question is, Webber has unearthed some gems, but a number of his signings have also been turd. What are peoples thoughts on him being able to get it right this time round with signings in the prem?

Personally I think Daniel Farke will have an absolute fit if we allow ALL 3 of our Premier League ready stars to go this summer.

We’re preparing for life in the best league in the world, not the Championship.

I think Todd will stay another season. I believe he genuinely has the clubs best interests at heart too, so I don’t think he’ll leave the club in a fashion that will screw us.

Max is the one I’ve always felt will go this window. If he does then it will be gutting as we’re so close to having ‘that’ set of players that could do something really positive next season. 

Emi I thought we’d keep. And in all honesty, that was largely down to some of his own comments recently, where he got everyone’s hopes up by suggesting he will be happy to stay here next season etc. I hope those comments don’t come back to bite him. Max on the other hand has not said anything that I feel has led supporters on, and I really respect him for that.

Atletico would be the only team I'd worry about making a bid, but the finances in Spain are shocking right now. 

Not sure the clubs over here that would be able to afford 40-50 million for a player who has 1 season experience in the Premier would go for him this season. 

That leaves Arsenal or Villa....... 🤣🤣

More than confident Emi stays.

Cantwell, I don't think the interest is there. 

Aarons will be the one to go, imo. 

I’d be surprised if Cantwell goes, I can’t see who is going to come in with the sort of money we would want, especially if we do sell one of the other two.

It’s going to be an interesting window for the reasons Bethnal has outlined, most clubs are cost cutting because they have to. The amount of money sloshing around on transfers is presumably much less and Norwich aren’t going to be bullied into selling on the cheap.

Couple questions...

One - how much do we see Emi,.max and todd going for?

Two- if it is arsenal or athletico for EMI,.I can see the attraction (although arsenal defo on the decline) where for Max? Spurs- hmm really want to go there? Man city and utd Liverpool Chelsea all have great RB. Maybe lcfc?

12 minutes ago, NeymarSmith said:

Couple questions...

Two- if it is arsenal or athletico for EMI,.I can see the attraction (although arsenal defo on the decline) where for Max? Spurs- hmm really want to go there? Man city and utd Liverpool Chelsea all have great RB. Maybe lcfc?

Why wouldn’t max want to go to Spurs?

Realistically I can see a deal already in place for Max, which most likely hasnt been talked about. It seems to be Buendia is getting all the press attention and numerous articles from the Norwich camp trying to raise his profile and raise the stakes of any potential bids. Im sure an early transfer would suit all parties if it were to materialize. That way we can get new faces in the first team asap to get them integrated. 

Edited by jaberry2

I wonder whether CUSDP still reads this board. They were always pretty reliable regarding ins and outs. 

2 minutes ago, Fuzzar said:

I wonder whether CUSDP still reads this board. They were always pretty reliable regarding ins and outs. 

He has nothing new at the moment 

‘It’s looking increasingly likely’.

Is it? Nobody knows who will stay and who will go, all conjecture. It’s possible, but it’s possible they may all stay for one more season. Right the wrongs of 2019/20.

Let’s wait and see and not waste energy whittling. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I still can't see any team outside of England being prepared to spend close to the £40m figure that Norwich are rumoured to want.

Hi BY&G, your post offers us some crumbs of comfort (so thanks!)

I was wondering if the Emi figure is likely to be what Norwich want, or what Norwich ‘want’ ... a la “Norwich ‘want’ £50m for Ben Godfrey” Norwich sell Ben Godfrey for £25m

I think Emi and Max will go. Feels as though the time is probably right for both and circa. £70 million with our recruitment gives us a great chance of growing a few notches.

When Jacob M went to Newcastle, the jig was up. When Maddison went to Leicester, oh boy the jig was really up. When Lewis and Godfrey went, well we might as well have given up then and there.

The only thing that really concerns me is Emi et al ending up somewhere like Villa. Better than that.

Edited by Mason 47
  • Like 3

54 minutes ago, NeymarSmith said:

Couple questions...

Emi £40m*, Max £30m*, Todd £20m* = £90m* 💰 

* all figures entirely made up