Sign in to follow this  
Citizen Journalist Foghorn

Has Rick Waghorn lost the plot completely??

he talks of Nigel Worthington now having the players and how he needs to create a team!!!!

WE STILL HAVE NO RIGHT WINGER RICK.......

OUR TARGET MAN (PETER THORNE) WILL BE 33!!!

WE STILL LOOK WEAK AT RIGHT BACK!!!!!

ETUHU AND HUGHES ARE STILL RUBBISH!!!!

JOHANSON AND REHMAN ARE BLOODY LOANS AND PROBABLY WONT WANT TO STAY!!! ONCE THEY ARE TAKEN OUT OF THE LINEUP WE HAVE TO START BUILDING A NEW TEAM AGAIN!!

MCVEIGH MAY WELL NOT BE AT THE CLUB COME THE NEW SEASON!!

from current form yes we will be looking at a promotion push but not out of this division!!!

http://new.pinkun.com/content/columns/RickWaghorn.aspx?brand=PINKUNOnline&category=RickWaghorn&tBrand=PinkUnOnline&tCategory=RickWaghorn&itemid=NOED08%20Feb%202006%2018%3A52%3A12%3A757

waghorn is talking up city - trying to convince the many doubters that its all rosy in the garden, if you can somehow leap forward 2 months in your imagination when city will be in the play-offs and worthy''s name is once again sung in praise.  who knows, he could be right. waghorn should sit in the barclay if he wants to hear the fans real opinion of worthy, and probably anywhere else in the ground after sunday''s performance, apart from the press & directors boxes.

[quote user="lucky green trainers"]waghorn is talking up city - trying to convince the many doubters that its all rosy in the garden, if you can somehow leap forward 2 months in your imagination when city will be in the play-offs and worthy''s name is once again sung in praise.  who knows, he could be right. waghorn should sit in the barclay if he wants to hear the fans real opinion of worthy, and probably anywhere else in the ground after sunday''s performance, apart from the press & directors boxes.

[/quote]Sorry guys but I think you''ve got it back to front.  Actually Mr Waghorn is not excusing Worthy but putting pressure on him.  Waggy could say that Worthy is still missing pieces of the jigsaw (which as Paul says is true) and hence that it is not his faul if the team doesn''t functiont.  But he doesn''t say that.

What Mr Waghorn is rightly and cleverly saying is that Worthy''s challenge is to make a team out of what he has got.  No excuses Nigel....show us what you can do.  Given the flaws in the team that Paul outlines and other coaching issues (see my post on Sitting on the Fence for examples) he might as well be asked to spin gold from straw but there you; that is Nigel''s challenge.  Paul, the whole point is that Worthy almost certainly can''t do what Waggy challenges him to do.  Get it now?

Waggy puts the parcel in Worthy''s lap.  You''ve bought Earnshaw now build a team to service him and win games.

Paul, Waggy has not lost the plot!  Belatedly perhaps he has found it and moved ahead of you by not attacking Worthy directly but by setting him the challenge of coaching and forming a team to move forward.  If Worthy does that I will be surprised-pleased-but surprised.  If he does not then Worthy is trapped by his failure and Waggy is fixed by his challenge.

Waggy has for once hit the nail on the head.  Come on Nigel show us what you can do in this situation that you have created.......and if you can''t???????

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"]

[quote user="lucky green trainers"]waghorn is talking up city - trying to convince the many doubters that its all rosy in the garden, if you can somehow leap forward 2 months in your imagination when city will be in the play-offs and worthy''s name is once again sung in praise.  who knows, he could be right. waghorn should sit in the barclay if he wants to hear the fans real opinion of worthy, and probably anywhere else in the ground after sunday''s performance, apart from the press & directors boxes.

[/quote]Sorry guys but I think you''ve got it back to front.  Actually Mr Waghorn is not excusing Worthy but putting pressure on him.  Waggy could say that Worthy is still missing pieces of the jigsaw (which as Paul says is true) and hence that it is not his faul if the team doesn''t functiont.  But he doesn''t say that.

What Mr Waghorn is rightly and cleverly saying is that Worthy''s challenge is to make a team out of what he has got.  No excuses Nigel....show us what you can do.  Given the flaws in the team that Paul outlines and other coaching issues (see my post on Sitting on the Fence for examples) he might as well be asked to spin gold from straw but there you; that is Nigel''s challenge.  Paul, the whole point is that Worthy almost certainly can''t do what Waggy challenges him to do.  Get it now?

Waggy puts the parcel in Worthy''s lap.  You''ve bought Earnshaw now build a team to service him and win games.

Paul, Waggy has not lost the plot!  Belatedly perhaps he has found it and moved ahead of you by not attacking Worthy directly but by setting him the challenge of coaching and forming a team to move forward.  If Worthy does that I will be surprised-pleased-but surprised.  If he does not then Worthy is trapped by his failure and Waggy is fixed by his challenge.

Waggy has for once hit the nail on the head.  Come on Nigel show us what you can do in this situation that you have created.......and if you can''t???????

[/quote]

sorry mate that was a post pub rant last night!!  the other one, which targetted Andy Hughes Dickson Etuhu and Nigel Worthintgton was deleted [:(] I cant remember what i wrote but reckon it pulled no punches.....

Foghorn wrote:

"Arguabaly, the biggest challenge of his managerial career awaits as he and his coaching team try to bolt together a winning formula from the options available and - and this is the crucial bit - keep the dressing room onside as you tinker here and tamper there, trying to decide what your City first team is actually going to look like in August, 2006, and the start of next season.

I mean how can you create a team for the start of next season now??  who knows what players will be here and who will be gone?  No Johanson, McVeigh and Rehman, Jarvis and whomever else''s contract is up.... its a joke really - the loans being the worst part of it! so JJ does well and does not stay?? great!! wow!!  where now then??

Its a pointless article missing the situation we are in completely..  not 2 weeks ago foghorn was telling us we had a better squad than 2 years ago!! if we lose to Hull the relegation zone will be getting surprisingly close!!!  lets hope we win....

[quote user="Paul Rankin"][quote user="CambridgeCanary"]

[/quote]

sorry mate that was a post pub rant last night!!  the other one, which targetted Andy Hughes Dickson Etuhu and Nigel Worthintgton was deleted [:(] I cant remember what i wrote but reckon it pulled no punches.....

Foghorn wrote:

"Arguabaly, the biggest challenge of his managerial career awaits as he and his coaching team try to bolt together a winning formula from the options available and - and this is the crucial bit - keep the dressing room onside as you tinker here and tamper there, trying to decide what your City first team is actually going to look like in August, 2006, and the start of next season.

I mean how can you create a team for the start of next season now??  who knows what players will be here and who will be gone?  No Johanson, McVeigh and Rehman, Jarvis and whomever else''s contract is up.... its a joke really - the loans being the worst part of it! so JJ does well and does not stay?? great!! wow!!  where now then??

Its a pointless article missing the situation we are in completely..  not 2 weeks ago foghorn was telling us we had a better squad than 2 years ago!! if we lose to Hull the relegation zone will be getting surprisingly close!!!  lets hope we win....

[/quote]fair point cambridge.  but waghorn is nevertheless proposing that worthy be given until the end of the season to show what he can or can''t do, which essentially is the boards position and also worthy''s, if his pre-season ''no excuses'' declaration is to be believed.since the board gave worthy the funds to bring 3 more players in, the ground has shifted again following the dire reading and ipswich performances, and surely a couple more similar efforts will see him go.  so in truth, waghorn''s suggestion is behind the current situation and is closer to the board''s rather than fans position.

Must say after reading Waghorn''s article, Cambridge is right, Waghorn is laying down the gauntlet for Worthy to do something.  I think Rick is well aware this is beyond Worthy and the sly digs indicate Worthy has lost the dressing room.

If you read the message boar on BBc Norfolk or listen to Canary Call, there is not a single pro Worthy poster or caller, personally I don''t know anyone who thinks he should stay. The comments in the local press e.g.Fans Eye in EDP and Neil Adams in the EEN and now RW also provide no succour to Worthy.  The only dissenting voices are the usual suspects on here and Delia and Michael. 

I disagree Cambridge for the following reasons.

Now you have to keep one thing in the back of your mind - Rick Worthington has never once got close to putting pressure on Nigel, but is more than likely privy to certain information that we have to decipher. If you go back to the transfer window, Rick hinted at the departures of both green and ashton, and if i remember correctly predicted that things would get messy. Anyway to stick to the point, Worthington the journalist knows that the pressure on Nigel is rising and he''s trying to help his buddy out by hinting that Nigel now needs time to work out a winning formula, and even mentions the team planning for next season. This gives me a gut reaction that the board are convinced they can see out the storm and give worthy time next season for an initial make or break start.

The entire article is about getting the ''undecided'' to hold out on making any judgement, knowing full well that sooner or later a victory will lift the gloom for a few of his supporters to start fighting back.

The problem is that the points made are made well, but using evidence that doesnt really stand up on closer inspection.

Rick points to the fact that many of our players are unaware of a Ipswich / Norwich derby. Sorry Rick, but we are not exclusive to the world of derbies. I would lay my last pound on every player in a Norwich shirt having played many derbies in their careers. If the point was that Ipswich were using ''local lads'' then maybe Rick should put his adopted brothers tactics on academy integration under the spotlight.

Rick also cites the winning celebrations of Danny Haynes and puts it down to euphoria of a home grown boy beating the old enemy. Sorry Rick, but Johansson celebrated his goal with passion, and had he, Earnie or any of the other players scored to win the game with two minutes to go they would have celebrated in exactly the same way.

Rick also points to the ''experience in this neck of the woods'' of Fleming and Green in local derbies and highlights their top, gritty performances as evidence. Sorry Rick I disagree. Fleming decided to put a few of the ipswich lads a few feet in the air becasue thats what happens when elder pros get given the run around by kids. I didnt see Fleming making forward overlapping runs like the older Willnis, nor did i see him do much other than limp from the field to the amusement of the ipswich kids who were clearly amused by his apparent need for a walking stick. Robert Green had ''one of his best performances'' because he flattened Danny Haynes (how many actually thought it was a pen?) All game i held my breath every time our Greeno swung his leg becasue his kicking was abysmal. (Why was he booting it high to Earnshaw as well?) Also using that point, why was Huckerby on the bench, he is after all one of the ''experienced ones.''

For my money Zesh Rehman was MoM - which puts the whole start of the article to shame about Derby experience against Ipswich. 

Rick highlights the need for Nigel to find the winning formula with his new players - does our player recruitment revolve around a particular player standing at the bus stop when the recruitment bus drives by? Any manager should have a clear idea of what his plans are and bring players in to fit that system, not bring players in and then work out the system.

Rick mentions the importance for the manager to ''tinker'' to find the right team. With that in mind, why was there so many changes from the reading game. To my memory there were four or five players that survived the two games at any given point. With three new players the gaffer still saw fit to make three other changes.

Rick says that one of Nigel''s biggest problems is working out the overwhelming possibilities that he has. Is that the manager who all season has moaned about his lack of options, persistent injuries, has failed to bring in a good enough right back, has totally failed in bringing in a right winger and has constantly played players out of position? In my eyes the biggest problem is the substance across the middle of the park. Etuhu, Hughes, Jarrett all new signings, are not good enough. Henderson has expected to pick up where he left off two season ago, despite being ignored for the whole of last season. Huckerby, who is not 10% of the player two years ago is totally unwilling to work wide in a 4-4-2 formation, leaving us with no wingers on either side. WLY, who has been publically humiliated by the comments of Nigel about working for a contract his hardly likely to see the comments as motivational.

I agree that the last sentence about the gauntlet now being thrown to worthy is to find the team - but as i have already mentioned this is a longer term thing. At the end of the day, if Nigel starts next season badly, Rick Worthington knows that the pressure would be too great for the board to withstand and they would act. But, as things stand he is trying to buy Nigel time, not put pressure on him.

[quote user="pete"]

Must say after reading Waghorn''s article, Cambridge is right, Waghorn is laying down the gauntlet for Worthy to do something.  I think Rick is well aware this is beyond Worthy and the sly digs indicate Worthy has lost the dressing room.

If you read the message boar on BBc Norfolk or listen to Canary Call, there is not a single pro Worthy poster or caller, personally I don''t know anyone who thinks he should stay. The comments in the local press e.g.Fans Eye in EDP and Neil Adams in the EEN and now RW also provide no succour to Worthy.  The only dissenting voices are the usual suspects on here and Delia and Michael. 

[/quote]so although he hasn''t quite come out and said it pete, you''re suggesting waghorn is unofficially hinting that mumby''s show of support is indeed the dreaded vote of confidence and that worthy has 2-3 games to pick things up.  given the level of the performaces, this is realistic but still is probably behind many fans who want him to go now.

[quote user="Paul Rankin"]

JOHANSON AND REHMAN ARE BLOODY LOANS AND PROBABLY WONT WANT TO STAY!!! ONCE THEY ARE TAKEN OUT OF THE LINEUP WE HAVE TO START BUILDING A NEW TEAM AGAIN!!

[/quote]

Etuhu and Hughes will improve under a new manager (Hopefully soon). There were good at there old club! I keep hearing how Johanson is gonna make a permanent switch in the summer. Rehman, I doubt he will and I hope McVeigh stays!

[quote user="Tom_NCFC"][quote user="Paul Rankin"]

[/quote]

Etuhu and Hughes will improve under a new manager (Hopefully soon). There were good at there old club! I keep hearing how Johanson is gonna make a permanent switch in the summer. Rehman, I doubt he will and I hope McVeigh stays!

[/quote]

blinkers still on eh... hughes is rubbish, reading fans thought it so do we....

I''d saw him twice and he looked quite good! I don''t know, not sure if i care anymore. Just doesn''t seem like Worthy know how to use ''Scouts''. Ah well what will you do!

[quote user="Tom_NCFC"]I''d saw him twice and he looked quite good! I don''t know, not sure if i care anymore. Just doesn''t seem like Worthy know how to use ''Scouts''. Ah well what will you do![/quote]

maybe Mick Maccarthys scouting techniques are involved - he got them to look art gray.  They told him he wasnt up to it and not to buy him.  He spenmt 1.1 million anyway.....  I like to think worthy has more sense than that...

maybe Mick Maccarthys scouting techniques are involved - he got them to look art gray.  They told him he wasnt up to it and not to buy him.  He spenmt 1.1 million anyway.....  I like to think worthy has more sense than that...

[/quote]

1.1 Million for Andy Gray, That would have been a disaster! I think Worthy has more since than that

A very thoughtful post, Rossi. Thanks for taking the time to do it.

Could you spare the time to send something along these lines to Messrs Munby and Donkeycaster?  They need to see/read the voice of reason.  This was it - measured and (I hope) persuasive.

JOHANSON AND REHMAN ARE BLOODY LOANS AND PROBABLY WONT WANT TO STAY!!! ONCE THEY ARE TAKEN OUT OF THE LINEUP WE HAVE TO START BUILDING A NEW TEAM AGAIN!![/quote]

I think your keyboard is broken Paul.

Look for the key on the right that says "Caps Lock"

There you go, thats the one. See, its not difficult this PC lark. :)

So Thorne is 33. Big deal. Iwan was still banging them in for us at 35+ and short sighted supporters slagged him off for ages when he joined us too, yes I still remember. I wonder if you were one of them, hmmm?

The stick Etuhu has taken has been way out of line imo. The guys been drafted into a team that was struggling, lacking his long term midfield partner Safri and hes expected to single handedly propel us into the playoffs? Get real, give him time to get settled in and get off his back. The guy is 23 years old, he could be a long term quality player for us, but not if hes booed every time he plays.

Likewise Jarrett, the attitude of some so called fans towards our players stinks sometimes. Ever heard of a "confidence player"? Think your barracking helps their confidence? Its pathetic.

Ahhh - a heady mixture of alcohol and paranoia. Watch out - it can kill you.

So Waghorn''s part of The Conspiracy, is he? Or could it be that he''s saying something that''s obvious to me - that we do indeed have better (technically) players than two years ago, but that the team is chaotic. I don''t think he''s denying that there are gaps in the squad.

And Paul -

STOP!!!

SHOUTING!!!!!!!!!!

It''s very wearing

[quote user="Old Boy"]

Ahhh - a heady mixture of alcohol and paranoia. Watch out - it can kill you.

So Waghorn''s part of The Conspiracy, is he? Or could it be that he''s saying something that''s obvious to me - that we do indeed have better (technically) players than two years ago, but that the team is chaotic. I don''t think he''s denying that there are gaps in the squad.

And Paul -

STOP!!!

SHOUTING!!!!!!!!!!

It''s very wearing

[/quote]

[:D]  that was a post pub rant is has to be said!!! [B][B][B][B]

[quote user="Herb"][quote user="Paul Rankin"]

JOHANSON AND REHMAN ARE BLOODY LOANS AND PROBABLY WONT WANT TO STAY!!! ONCE THEY ARE TAKEN OUT OF THE LINEUP WE HAVE TO START BUILDING A NEW TEAM AGAIN!![/quote]

I think your keyboard is broken Paul.

Look for the key on the right that says "Caps Lock"

There you go, thats the one. See, its not difficult this PC lark. :)

So Thorne is 33. Big deal. Iwan was still banging them in for us at 35+ and short sighted supporters slagged him off for ages when he joined us too, yes I still remember. I wonder if you were one of them, hmmm?

The stick Etuhu has taken has been way out of line imo. The guys been drafted into a team that was struggling, lacking his long term midfield partner Safri and hes expected to single handedly propel us into the playoffs? Get real, give him time to get settled in and get off his back. The guy is 23 years old, he could be a long term quality player for us, but not if hes booed every time he plays.

Likewise Jarrett, the attitude of some so called fans towards our players stinks sometimes. Ever heard of a "confidence player"? Think your barracking helps their confidence? Its pathetic.

[/quote]

My point was that Foghorn is talking about Nigel preparing for next season when at least 3 first team players have a very good chance that they wont be playing for us next season anyways..   add to that the experienced proffesionals getting older and it seems we are onto a loser already.

Actually the one person whom has the biggest problem with Jason Jarrett is Nigel Worthington after the alleged bust-up earlier in the season about training regimes.  Which kind of follows as he has been loaned out then benched, dropped and had a left back played ahead of him in the 4 matches since his return from an impressive loan spell at plymouth

Dickson Etuhu has looks lazy, has a poor attitude and seems lost on the pitch. When you are a footballer and fans see this attitude it does not go down too well.  He had a surprisingly poor loan spell, and was subsequently signed, many fans at the time not realising this was a done deal, none of which has helped his cause.  Its not about him propelling us to the play-offs its about him looking like he gives a damn...

In defense of the fans even huckerby of late has been getting a lot of stick for a lack of effort. Personally I do not boo players as it does no good.  however when passes keep getting mislaid and the ball is hoofed at a 5 foot striker its no wonder the crowd gets restless.....