Sign in to follow this  
keelansgrandad

Walk Football

Had my first go at Walk Football on Monday evening and thoroughly enjoyed it. I can recommend it for several reasons including the love of being able to play football at 70, the health aspects of two hours fitness training, ball work and matches and the meeting of new people. The Organisers do a great job. All 24 of us there had a ball each to train with. And there are regular organised tournaments.

If you get the chance, give it a go.

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Had my first go at Walk Football on Monday evening and thoroughly enjoyed it. I can recommend it for several reasons including the love of being able to play football at 70, the health aspects of two hours fitness training, ball work and matches and the meeting of new people. The Organisers do a great job. All 24 of us there had a ball each to train with. And there are regular organised tournaments.

Do they do sit down football anywhere? 

2 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Portman Road?!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Haven't played for a couple of years now but it is really good. In our old age it gives football lovers the chance to keep that competitive streak going and certainly helps with fitness. Problem I find though is that where I am most sessions are during the daytime when I am at work. Not enough evening sessions.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

I’ll give them a call. 

Sorry Midlands, they like to take players that haven't played, i'm afraid you will be too high a level for them.

Funny you post this, I’ve been looking at taking this up and have discovered they do a session at Flegg on Thursday evenings, so I might give it a look 👍

Where was your session @keelansgrandad ?

Edited by Wings of a Sparrow

Highly recommend it. Fun and safe activity, and requires high game IQ because you can't outrun anyone. 

8 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

When I was in the BB we used to play 'crab football', similar to sitting down.

It’s a shame there isn’t a halfway house between veterans and walking football. With veterans starting at 35 I couldn’t keep up but I’m fit enough that I would find walking football frustrating. I think there’s room for a 50+ age group playing 7 a side 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

When I was in the BB we used to play 'crab football', similar to sitting down.

I bet that brought everybody out of their shell.

8 hours ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

Funny you post this, I’ve been looking at taking this up and have discovered they do a session at Flegg on Thursday evenings, so I might give it a look 👍

Where was your session @keelansgrandad ?

I am in Cornwall and it is Troon Walking Football. Great setup with website, pamphlets etc.

• Like 1

Are the pamphlets available in large print KGD! 😉

Seriously though, respect to you for giving it a go, and enjoying it. 

40 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

Are the pamphlets available in large print KGD! 😉

Seriously though, respect to you for giving it a go, and enjoying it. 

We played several 10 minute games and most were 0-0 draws. Not easy to score at all.

10 hours ago, canarycop said:

Haven't played for a couple of years now but it is really good. In our old age it gives football lovers the chance to keep that competitive streak going and certainly helps with fitness. Problem I find though is that where I am most sessions are during the daytime when I am at work. Not enough evening sessions.

Long Stratton do walking football 6pm monday evenings

• Like 1

I believe they used to at the Bob Carter Centre too, pre pandemic. not sure if its restarted yet..........

They could challenge KGD's lot to a match! 2 legs, home and away! 

1 minute ago, Greavsy said:

I believe they used to at the Bob Carter Centre too, pre pandemic. not sure if its restarted yet..........

Two legs are compulsory for walking football.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, lappinitup said:

Two legs are compulsory for walking football.....

I did think that as I typed it. 

58 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

What's the Bob Carter Centre by the way?

I play twice a week at the FDC Bowthorpe, with Norwich Soca Seniors, we have around 90 members. It’s wonderful to be able to still play and we are nicely competitive. It is also has an excellent social side, in fact I’ve just got back from a golf break with some of the guys!

Do you get a yellow card if you absent mindedly slip into a jog?

• Haha 1

We ran the FA People’s Cup at my old work place in Luton and held the regional heat of the walking football 5s tournament 

Nothing gave me more pleasure than watching 10 old boys relive their youth whilst running I mean walking their way to victory 

walking football as far as I saw it turned very quickly into accidental running football and as ever the rules were relaxed lol 

that said what a great incentive and is not only about the physical aspect but also the social - I admire anyone who either runs a team or takes part

Just thought I'd bump this, for anyone east of the city Brundall walking football club meet on Tuesday mornings ( 9.45-11-15)and Thursday evenings ( can't remember times 🙂), £5 a session, just turn up at the new 4g pitch opposite McDonalds

On 28/05/2021 at 17:22, corbs said:

Do you get a yellow card if you absent mindedly slip into a jog?

The idea of "absent-mindedly slipping into a jog" is beyond my comprehension! Were I ever  to consider such an activity it would take moths of careful planning and a full risk assessment.

On 26/05/2021 at 09:42, FenwayFrank said:

It’s a shame there isn’t a halfway house between veterans and walking football. With veterans starting at 35 I couldn’t keep up but I’m fit enough that I would find walking football frustrating. I think there’s room for a 50+ age group playing 7 a side 

i played over 35s till i was 50 , some of the 35 year olds were still playing for their clubs A teams. would love to play over 50s , but theres none round here. so its table tennis for me thiswinter.

I haven't played for 12 months or more. We played a tournament at Exeter on a 4G pitch and I played up front and I gave it my all, rather stupidly. And I played all the games but when I got home, my ankle was hurting badly. And after a visit to the hospital I found out I had damaged, but not completely torn, my left Achilles. I have tried to start again but its just too painful afterwards.

It certainly takes more out of your ankles walking at pace than running.