Sign in to follow this  
Terminally Yellow

Ben Godfrey makes the 30 man England squad

10 hours ago, HazzaJet said:

Considering he’s yet to make a senior appearance for his country, I’d be shocked if he was included in the final squad. If he was, I think for him to start a game this summer England would have to be through to the knockout stages, and there would have to be defensive injuries. I think the World Cup or next Euros tournament sounds a bit more likely.

I’m not surprised Maddison wasn’t included. I do believe one of the reasons might be for his breach of Covid regulations - Southgate wasn’t impressed by it, and Rodgers left him out of a match day squad for doing so 

Maddison has been injured but plenty of Foxes fans would like to offload him this summer. He’s getting accused of being more interested in fashion endorsements than putting in the effort on the pitch. A David Beckham wannabe perhaps but not quite as good? Nice jumper though and cute earrings. 

image.jpeg

Edited by Midlands Yellow

3 hours ago, Basel_NCFC said:

Not sure his breach of Covid regs has anything to do with it,  look at Greenwood and Foden they both broke the rules during England's trip to Iceland, but are now in the England squad? 

Sadly it looks like Maddision is going to have to go up one or two levels to get in ahead of the likes of Mount etc.  I don't think he has scored enough.. 

I do also wonder if longterm, he might need to move to one of the more favoured Prem Teams playing regular Champs league? 

Maddison actually played really well earlier in the season, and scored more regularly than his previous seasons with Leicester. Injuries have stunted that form and his end of season form/covid party killed any hopes of making the squad.

I see what you mean re:Greenwood and Foden (and Walker!) but they fit into the system that GS plays. Southgate doesn't play with a number 10 and Maddison isn't suited to playing on the wing or in centre mid. 

If he's going to get in the squad, he will either need to perform extremely well for a whole season, or for Southgate to leave and a new manager favours a different system.