Sign in to follow this  
Terminally Yellow

Ben Godfrey makes the 30 man England squad

1 minute ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Only if he starts a competitive fixture. 

Yeah, I did suspect it'd be a competitive appearance as opposed to a friendly. Fair play to him though. 

Yeah but will he be used as a defensive midfielder??

In all seriousness though, congrats to the lad, excellent player. Well played whoever in the scouting team spotted him at York!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

And what a great advert for City as they search the market for more young talent to develop.

• Like 3

Just now, horsefly said:

And what a great advert for City as they search the market for more young talent to develop.

Indeed. Remember the times when it was 'who would want to join little old Norwich in the middle of nowhere?' and now here we are producing big talents good enough to get big money moves and play for England, as well as getting many other international callups of our very own

• Like 3

I suspect he will get dropped for the final 26, barring any set backs to the recovery of Maguire and/or any other new injuries.

That said, it's great to see him on the senior squad radar and sets him up well for a stab at the remaining WC qualifiers and maybe the 2022 tournament itself.

Edited by HertsCanary93

47 minutes ago, king canary said:

Yeah but will he be used as a defensive midfielder??

In all seriousness though, congrats to the lad, excellent player. Well played whoever in the scouting team spotted him at York!

Funnily enough, I can see it happening if Philips doesn't make the squad! Can you imagine... I think this message board would brake down.

8 minutes ago, Wrathofthefarkely said:

England short of defensive midfielders then....? 

Thankfuly so. No doubt Southgate will no doubt do everything he can to play five at the back mind..

Really pleased for him, always nice to see a Norwich player progress on to better things

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Yellow and Green said:

Funnily enough, I can see it happening if Philips doesn't make the squad! Can you imagine... I think this message board would brake down.

Southgate said in terms of defenders, the two young ones in White and Godfrey can play in several positions and are flexible........ Even said one could play defensive midfielder 😱 however he clarified he was referring to Ben White lol 

He's a fabulous player who is only going to get better.

Well done Ben, you've had a great season and earned this.

Why is Henderson in there? He's hardly put in an appearance all season

Edited by First Wazzock

1 hour ago, Imported Canary said:

No Maddison though.

But Jack Grealish. Shame for maddison though if he had not had the injury maybe he'd have made it.

43 minutes ago, KiwiScot said:

But Jack Grealish. Shame for maddison though if he had not had the injury maybe he'd have made it.

Never looked likely with some of the attacking players England have and Southgate has included other players with injury problems.

Would be great to see Godfrey in but I fear he may be one of the 7 who drop out. Though I'd personally much rather he gets in than Tyrone Mings. 

However if he doesn't make it for this tournament then its only a matter of time. Many Everton fans touting him as their player of the season on Twitter, he is loved over there already. Won't be long before he is captain of Everton and a regular England international IMO.

Also if there's any truth about him absolutely snapping into the tackles against his teammates in training (per the Athletic), then I reckon there's a good chance he could injure all of the competition get promoted to the 26 by default. 😄 

I’ll stick my neck out and say I think Ben has a great chance of making the final cut. My reason for this is Southgate was quizzed on why he’d called up 5 RB’s and he responded that they offer versatility in numerous positions. Ben has received fantastic reviews this season based on the fact he’s played exceptionally well in every back line position this season. He’s certainly more versatile than some in there, and that clearly appeals to Southgate. He has every chance IMO. Well done Ben!

Southgate isn't keen on the 26 man squad allowance so I'm not expecting many unproven newbies. Unfortunately I don't think Ben will be named unless there are injuries between now and the tournament start.

That said Ben has had a great season and has done everything asked of him. Everton was a good move him, not a hugely strong squad but a world class coach. Emi could do worse!

Considering he’s yet to make a senior appearance for his country, I’d be shocked if he was included in the final squad. If he was, I think for him to start a game this summer England would have to be through to the knockout stages, and there would have to be defensive injuries. I think the World Cup or next Euros tournament sounds a bit more likely.

I’m not surprised Maddison wasn’t included. I do believe one of the reasons might be for his breach of Covid regulations - Southgate wasn’t impressed by it, and Rodgers left him out of a match day squad for doing so 

8 hours ago, HazzaJet said:

Considering he’s yet to make a senior appearance for his country, I’d be shocked if he was included in the final squad. If he was, I think for him to start a game this summer England would have to be through to the knockout stages, and there would have to be defensive injuries. I think the World Cup or next Euros tournament sounds a bit more likely.

I’m not surprised Maddison wasn’t included. I do believe one of the reasons might be for his breach of Covid regulations - Southgate wasn’t impressed by it, and Rodgers left him out of a match day squad for doing so 

Not sure his breach of Covid regs has anything to do with it,  look at Greenwood and Foden they both broke the rules during England's trip to Iceland, but are now in the England squad? 

Sadly it looks like Maddision is going to have to go up one or two levels to get in ahead of the likes of Mount etc.  I don't think he has scored enough.. 

I do also wonder if longterm, he might need to move to one of the more favoured Prem Teams playing regular Champs league?