Sign in to follow this  
pete

Timm Klose coming back

Should imagine we'll offer a mutual termination of his contract if there's no other interest. 

As long as he’s not due a wage increase now we’re promoted. Pretty sure we’re cuter now with new contracts and put a number of minimum appearances in after the Naismith bonus debacle, but Timm may still be on an older contract.

I know he’s injury prone but just like Byram when he’s on the pitch he’s actually quite good. If no other club makes an offer for him I think we’ll keep him as a backup CB for next season 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, HazzaJet said:

I know he’s injury prone but just like Byram when he’s on the pitch he’s actually quite good. If no other club makes an offer for him I think we’ll keep him as a backup CB for next season 

There's not a chance in hell he's a part of our squad next season.

4 minutes ago, HazzaJet said:

Not these days imo. Injuries have hugely taken their toll on his mobility, he'd be taken apart by Premier league strikers.

1 minute ago, HazzaJet said:

I think you might be right. Haven't been following his progress this season but either we're asking too much or Basel didn't like what he had to offer or Klose won't take a pay cut.

If his existing contract was signed before this season then I suppose he will qualify for a promotion bonus and pay rise?

Just now, Capt. Pants said:

I think you might be right. Haven't been following his progress this season but either we're asking too much or Basel didn't like what he had to offer or Klose won't take a pay cut.

If his existing contract was signed before this season then I suppose he will qualify for a promotion bonus and pay rise?

Was out of contract at the end of our last promotion season, Rangers were keen to snap him up as a free agent but he signed a new 3 year deal at the end of the season. Just like Drmic who was also signed that summer, I think that a pay rise is unlikely.

• Like 1

Nice character, very good player for us initially.

Now? not a chance he will be PL standard unfortunately.

Love the man and enjoyed him in his prime but I can imagine mutual termination is the most likely event from here. Will be confirmed if we bring someone else in that's for sure. 

Considering we have been told that multi millions will be flowing out on transfers, he may be a useful 4th choice and free up money for other positions.

We would need to be spending big to bring in a top class CB. And I don't know if there are any available for a fee we would be comfortable with.

He struggled at the back end of Project Restart, but he also clearly wasn't fully recovered from injuries. Let's have a look at him in pre-season. If the season at Basel has got him firing on most cylinders, then he'll be a useful back-up option. Throw in Zimmermann and one of Famewo and Omobamidele and then that's five centre-halves. That should do it.

10 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

He struggled at the back end of Project Restart, but he also clearly wasn't fully recovered from injuries. Let's have a look at him in pre-season. If the season at Basel has got him firing on most cylinders, then he'll be a useful back-up option. Throw in Zimmermann and one of Famewo and Omobamidele and then that's five centre-halves. That should do it.

If he didn't set the Swiss league alight I think he's unlikely to be an adequate back up for the Premier League. Would do a good job for someone and I don't see why people wouldn't come in for him.

Just now, sgncfc said:

If he didn't set the Swiss league alight I think he's unlikely to be an adequate back up for the Premier League. Would do a good job for someone and I don't see why people wouldn't come in for him.

You'd think so, but that's precisely what pre-season is there to find out.

38 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

You'd think so, but that's precisely what pre-season is there to find out.

I just can't see it. We have six centre backs on our books: Hanley and Gibson is a good pairing, but we need to strengthen the squad considerably. Zimbo and Omo would be the most likely to be part of the squad, Famewo and Klose highly unlikely. I think we will keep Zimbo as a backup player and sign one more CB, with Klose/Famewo leaving and Omo going on loan. If we can't find a suitor for Timm this summer, we loan him out again next season and release him next summer.

10 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

I just can't see it. We have six centre backs on our books: Hanley and Gibson is a good pairing, but we need to strengthen the squad considerably. Zimbo and Omo would be the most likely to be part of the squad, Famewo and Klose highly unlikely. I think we will keep Zimbo as a backup player and sign one more CB, with Klose/Famewo leaving and Omo going on loan. If we can't find a suitor for Timm this summer, we loan him out again next season and release him next summer.

I agree that what you've said is the most likely outcome, but let's not forget how Cantwell basically came onto the scene after many of us thought he'd need another loan after not always being absolutely convincing in the Championship - and indeed how quickly Remi Matthews disappeared from it after a fair chunk of pre-season, hence Krul being brought in.

5 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

I agree that what you've said is the most likely outcome, but let's not forget how Cantwell basically came onto the scene after many of us thought he'd need another loan after not always being absolutely convincing in the Championship - and indeed how quickly Remi Matthews disappeared from it after a fair chunk of pre-season, hence Krul being brought in.

All sorts of things can happen in pre-season, and I'm sure Timm will be the model pro he's always been. Personally I think he's got the same amount of chance of featuring next season as Heise, Drmic, Leitner and Trybull.

He is still a Norwich player and being allowed to go out on loan was because it was probably clear he wasn't going to be fit enough for a two games a week season.  Fitness is the key and if he has regained full fitness - which he might have - he might still be useful as a back up, but more likely he will want to be somewhere he can play regular games.

3 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

All sorts of things can happen in pre-season, and I'm sure Timm will be the model pro he's always been. Personally I think he's got the same amount of chance of featuring next season as Heise, Drmic, Leitner and Trybull.

All depends on pre-season. I just think it's not out of the question that a season of actually playing regular football, then coming into pre-season on the back of that instead of trying to build up fitness, could see Klose being nearer his peak than before.

Prime example. Hanley.

Sure, I'll accept any argument that Hanley is a fair bit younger, but would point out this is his first stretch for us where he's genuinely been injury-free going into the season and kept fit for most of it, and now we're really seeing what he's got.

Edited by TheGunnShow

Just now, TheGunnShow said:

All depends on pre-season. I just think it's not out of the question that a season of actually playing regular football, then coming into pre-season on the back of that instead of trying to build up fitness, could see Klose being nearer his peak than before.

Prime example. Hanley.

Hanley's younger, faster and fitter. I love Timm dearly, but we loaned him out this season, he's 33 years old and has been playing in the Swiss league... just cannot for the life of me see how he gets back in the squad. The signing of Gibbo has set the benchmark for the calibre of player we need to compete at PL level. Five years ago Timm was a great signing, but he's never going to be in the squad next season. Even Zimbo's involvement is borderline, and he was our captain last time we were in the Prem before he got injured. We've moved on from Klose.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Hanley's younger, faster and fitter. I love Timm dearly, but we loaned him out this season, he's 33 years old and has been playing in the Swiss league... just cannot for the life of me see how he gets back in the squad. The signing of Gibbo has set the benchmark for the calibre of player we need to compete at PL level. Five years ago Timm was a great signing, but he's never going to be in the squad next season. Even Zimbo's involvement is borderline, and he was our captain last time we were in the Prem before he got injured. We've moved on from Klose.

Again, I agree - but Hanley's fitter as he's actually had a consistent stretch without injuries for probably the first time.

1 minute ago, TheGunnShow said:

Again, I agree - but Hanley's fitter as he's actually had a consistent stretch without injuries for probably the first time.

That's as may be, but it doesn't change my opinions on the Klose situation. As ever, the proof will be in the pudding... and if he comes back fit and firing next season, I'll be the first to hold my hands up and say I was wrong. I'd bloody love it, in fact.

We are looking for players who have a ceiling that is good enough and to still grow to be good Prem centre backs.

I love klose but at this point has his ceiling been? The answer is yes and is it good enough now? The answer unfortunately is no when we are looking to invest in a player who will rise up

I think klose is a great player but right now Gibson and Hanley play that role, we end a new addition who could grow beyond these 2 and the better what klose can be.

16 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

That's as may be, but it doesn't change my opinions on the Klose situation. As ever, the proof will be in the pudding... and if he comes back fit and firing next season, I'll be the first to hold my hands up and say I was wrong. I'd bloody love it, in fact.

I do think your call is by far the more likely, just not ruling out what a season without injuries going into pre-season can do.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

I do think your call is by far the more likely, just not ruling out what a season without injuries going into pre-season can do.

I'm not ruling it out; I'm just saying I think the chances of it happening are extremely small, and probably a lot smaller than your assessment of the situation. That's fine; these are all intangibles. It's going to be an interesting summer one way or another!

2 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

I'm not ruling it out; I'm just saying I think the chances of it happening are extremely small, and probably a lot smaller than your assessment of the situation. That's fine; these are all intangibles. It's going to be an interesting summer one way or another!

I don't think the chances are that high either, but we know Farke likes a judgement call based on pre-season, we know quite a few of our players have taken a long time getting bad injuries out of their system before showing their best selves once again (and in Rupp's case, it was mixed in with joining a new club short on confidence and playing out of position to boot). Hanley and Krul are obvious members of that club.

Defensive midfield's the big one. We've really got to get that right.

Just now, TheGunnShow said:

I don't think the chances are that high either, but we know Farke likes a judgement call based on pre-season, we know quite a few of our players have taken a long time getting bad injuries out of their system before showing their best selves once again (and in Rupp's case, it was mixed in with joining a new club short on confidence and playing out of position to boot). Hanley and Krul are obvious members of that club.

Defensive midfield's the big one. We've really got to get that right.

Could be a pretty huge turnover of staff this summer. A ton of our squad of two years ago could be off: Tettey and Vrancic guaranteed; Leitner, Trybull and Drmic on their way out; Klose, Stiepermann, Zimmermann and Hernandez having question marks over them. That's a huge chunk of the players who experienced that capitulation last time out. We've kept the majority of the decent performers (Krul, Aarons, Hanley, McLean, Buendia, Cantwell, Pukki) and supplemented them with some decent 'young and hungry' replacements (Mumba, Sorensen, Giannoulis, Dowell and Placheta).

Assuming Skipp doesn't come back, we need two BIG signings in CM. A combination of two from Sorensen, McLean and Rupp is not going to dominate many matches at PL level.