Midlands Yellow

Beloved Brentford v Bournemouth

2 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

Let me see. Schumacher, with no intention or possibility of getting to the ball, smashes Battiston so hard he has to have oxygen on the pitch. Therefore Battiston should go to prison for violent assault. Interesting.

Where does Lerma come into it?

And 'famous' is not the word I'd use.

If you want to watch MMA (where one participant thinks he's playing football), fine. I'd rather watch football.

Yeah, that was a mistype on my part. Ultimately, Schumacher wasn't remotely at risk of going to prison. I think that's a pretty melodramatic conclusion, especially as the referee actually gave a goal kick (not to mention that the 1970s and 1980s were a lot more laissez-faire, so I think you're making the mistake of using modern standards to judge old games).

And famous is definitely a word that fits. So, indeed, is infamous.

I asked re. Lerma as you said something about his apparently being happy about snapping a leg then in the next post mentioned prison, so wasn't sure if you meant a tackle from Lerma.

Either way, we're often vulnerable in the middle and not streetwise enough. Lerma certainly will put himself about and is the player from that Bournemouth side I'd be most happy with taking because of it. Especially as defensive midfield is arguably our most problematic position right now.

1 minute ago, TheGunnShow said:

Yeah, that was a mistype on my part. Ultimately, Schumacher wasn't remotely at risk of going to prison. I think that's a pretty melodramatic conclusion, especially as the referee actually gave a goal kick (not to mention that the 1970s and 1980s were a lot more laissez-faire, so I think you're making the mistake of using modern standards to judge old games).

And famous is definitely a word that fits. So, indeed, is infamous.

I asked re. Lerma as you said something about his apparently being happy about snapping a leg then in the next post mentioned prison, so wasn't sure if you meant a tackle from Lerma.

Either way, we're often vulnerable in the middle and not streetwise enough. Lerma certainly will put himself about and is the player from that Bournemouth side I'd be most happy with taking because of it. Especially as defensive midfield is arguably our most problematic position right now.

Participating in a sport such as football does not put you above the law. By any standard Schumacher broke the law - as did Roy Keane, the fact he could admit it in a book I find astonishing (amongst other reactions).

I've no idea how open Lerma would be to breaking a leg, but I suspect he'd be happier to do so than any of our players. It's fundamentally a question of attitude

I love a good, hard, well-timed tackle intended to win the ball. Players prepared to deliberately harm opponents in order to win a match with no qualms about what injuries they cause have no business being on a football pitch so far as I'm concerned.

14 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

Participating in a sport such as football does not put you above the law. By any standard Schumacher broke the law - as did Roy Keane, the fact he could admit it in a book I find astonishing (amongst other reactions).

I've no idea how open Lerma would be to breaking a leg, but I suspect he'd be happier to do so than any of our players. It's fundamentally a question of attitude

I love a good, hard, well-timed tackle intended to win the ball. Players prepared to deliberately harm opponents in order to win a match with no qualms about what injuries they cause have no business being on a football pitch so far as I'm concerned.

That doesn't quite tally with the earlier comment made in response to one of mine. Granted, this comment is going to look a mess trying to get three quotes in, one being a direct response to your previous post and then bringing up the exchange that started this discussion!!

But you did basically say "someone who'd quite happily break another player's leg".

1 hour ago, TheGunnShow said:

Which is precisely why I'd want Lerma in first. We've enough ball-players, we need some out-and-out battlers.

There's a difference between being a battler (e.g. Grant Hanley) & a someone who'd quite happily break another player's leg.

While on the play-offs, the League One final will be between Blackpool, who have suffered ownership so appalling it beggars belief, and Lincoln City, who were playing non-League football only a few seasons ago. One of those teams will be in the Championship next season. That is cause for celebration and a belief in renewal and recovery.

• Like 4