Midlands Yellow

Beloved Brentford v Bournemouth

Bournemouth really will be mourning their relegation last season when the other two teams have gone straight back up. Hope Barnsley beat Swansea, although what mattered the most was for Bournemouth to be in the 2nd tier next season 

5 minutes ago, HazzaJet said:

Bournemouth really will be mourning their relegation last season when the other two teams have gone straight back up. Hope Barnsley beat Swansea, although what mattered the most was for Bournemouth to be in the 2nd tier next season 

I think it would have been the first time all three had gone straight back up, and would have prompted more complaints about the unfairness of parachute payments. I'm not saying there isn't an argument to be made there, but I have yet to see a workable alternative put forward.

6 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

One thing I would say is that the more I see of Toney the less impressed I become.

He'll struggle in the Premier, needs at least 7 or 8 chances to score 1, he gets that and more in the Championship but would only get 1 or 2 chances a game, if he's lucky in the Premier. 

5 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

Begovic and Pearson?

Hopefully not the egregious Pearson. Danjuma, yes please.

If we lose buendia could see us being in for Brooks. I think he would fit our style of play very well. Had a fantastic season in the Premier league 2 years ago but injuries have hampered him since. His price must have fallen quite a bit, £15m could do the job this summer. 

Just now, Ken Hairy said:

He'll struggle in the Premier, needs at least 7 or 8 chances to score 1, he gets that and more in the Championship but would only get 1 or 2 chances a game, if he's lucky in the Premier. 

Big & awkward with the (very occasional) flash of skill. Champs version of Andy Carroll.

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

I wouldn't worry about that too much. There's fans on here who said we'd never get out of League One with Delia as our owner, and that we'd find ourselves below Ipswich forever more only a few seasons back...

The difference is that Bournemouth actually are a League One/Two club when you look past their playing squad.

I don't think they invested a penny into their stadium or training ground during their five years in the Premier League. The training facilities haven't really been improved since they were in League One and their ground holds about 13,000, which is League Two standard. They instead spent all their money on players and were actually spending more than 100% of their turnover on wages in their final season, and their rise was basically a result of a rich owner prepared to put money in and a coach who did a very good job with the budget given to him.

There's a bit of a lesson here for other clubs. At least we invested in our training ground last time we went up and have improved the club's chances of success in the future, and should really use some of our Premier League money on infrastructure (new City stand?) this time too.

I'm confident in our current ownership to do the sensible thing rather spend all available cash on the playing squad alone, because all clubs bar the top eight or nine will end up getting relegated sooner or later and the ones who invest in things other than the playing squad will at least have something to show for it and not end up back at square one.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Same thought, not sure why people dislike him so much, would love him here. Sure he's cocky but so are Emi and Todd at times.

It's because Danjuma was showboating against us and taking the p*ss when they were 3-1 up against our 10 men. 

Bournemouth manager Jonathan Woodgate was not happy with the performance of the referee as his side were beaten 3-2 on aggregate by Brentford in their Championship play-off semi-final tie.

The Cherries led 2-0 on aggregate when Jarred Gillett awarded a penalty for a handball against defender Lloyd Kelly.

"Losing is the worst feeling in the world. It is difficult to talk after a defeat of that magnitude," Woodgate told BBC Radio Solent.

"The decision the referee gives early on with the penalty, it is an incredible decision. It comes off Lloyd's leg and hits his arm.

"I couldn't understand some of the decisions the referee was making. The crowd and their manager were getting in his head.

"We had a man sent off and that was a game-changer. It was difficult because Brentford have got good players and they kept on knocking at the door." 

🙂 

Edited by Surfer
  • Haha 2

Sunderland v Lincoln game is a good watch. Lincoln just missed a penalty to put the tie beyond doubt. 

Both these sides a country mile ahead of Ipswich. 

32 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Interesting comment.

Brooks, Danjuma and Billing would be the only players I think would get into our starting XI. Danjuma might be getting the hate from us but Lerma is the really nasty piece of work.

2 hours ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

Anyone we should buy from the bournemouth team?

I'll get my coat

I’d take Danjuma. He’s got to be an upgrade on Dowell (Cantwell can move into the centre as Dowell’s replacement. 

If the right manager can get into Danjumas head, then he could be a real asset, but he was sloping around, many times today. Lerma is too volatile for me. Brooks has got something but can he be nurtured into a good Prem player? I am not sure, plus his ankle would need a thorough looking at, because of his history.

8 minutes ago, Surfer said:

Bournemouth manager Jonathan Woodgate was not happy with the performance of the referee as his side were beaten 3-2 on aggregate by Brentford in their Championship play-off semi-final tie.

The Cherries led 2-0 on aggregate when Jarred Gillett awarded a penalty for a handball against defender Lloyd Kelly.

"Losing is the worst feeling in the world. It is difficult to talk after a defeat of that magnitude," Woodgate told BBC Radio Solent.

"The decision the referee gives early on with the penalty, it is an incredible decision. It comes off Lloyd's leg and hits his arm.

"I couldn't understand some of the decisions the referee was making. The crowd and their manager were getting in his head.

"We had a man sent off and that was a game-changer. It was difficult because Brentford have got good players and they kept on knocking at the door." 

🙂 

No it doesn't.

5 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

If the right manager can get into Danjumas head, then he could be a real asset, but he was sloping around, many times today. Lerma is too volatile for me. Brooks has got something but can he be nurtured into a good Prem player? I am not sure, plus his ankle would need a thorough looking at, because of his history.

Lerma could be a good Tettey replacement?

1 minute ago, Jimmy Bone - Superstar said:

Lerma could be a good Tettey replacement?

Only with a character transplant.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

Only with a character transplant.

To be fair, as long they are of the required footballing ability, get on well with their teammates and show the work ethic Farke requires, I wouldn't mind us signing a player with a nasty, dirty streak. They're the sort of players who are generally loved by their own fans and hated by the opposition, and could come in handy when we're having to grind out points against the more physical sides next season.

3 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I wouldn't mind us signing a player with a nasty, dirty streak

I would. And I don't think such a player would be popular in the dressing room either.

Just now, ron obvious said:

I would. And I don't think such a player would be popular in the dressing room either.

Why? Plenty of players have an 'edge' on the pitch and are popular off it. Some would say a few of ours are like that.

How times change. We have become a better club since going down to L1. 

Lincoln went out of the league and are now 1 game from the Championship.

And Sunderland dwell in L1 for yet another season. And L1 will have yet another ex EPL club looking for a change in fortunes.