Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

Does anyone want the badge changed?

Pinkun reckons we're looking at changing the club crest. I remember Leeds thought this was a good idea too.

If our badge looked dated Id agree, but I think most fans love it and would oppose a change. If so, then who is the change for?

Does anyone want the badge 'improved'?

I'm not desperate to see it changed but also not that bothered if it is. As long as the replacement represents us as a club and isn't just something totally random.

4 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Not really. The only issue is the lion for me and if there are changes that would be the thing to go. What is the lion there for anyway?

It's part of the city's crest, like the castle is. 

I wouldn't mind a tweak. Make the castle look like our castle and the lion look like a lion. 

• Like 1

I'd prefer it to stay, we pride ourselves on our identity as doing things the Norwich way, let's keep it that way!

I'm quite a fan of the scaled back version on the third kit this year, they've had similar things on clothes in the shop etc too.  I wouldn't be averse to having that on the kits and retaining the current badge as the 'club' badge.

• Like 1

It's already one of the most easily recognisable and distinctive badges.  Always stands out well amongst the red, blue and white that's across most.  Would definitely be against changing it.

As said on the other thread, its part of the fabric of the club and should be left alone! It's instantly recognisable with no text needed, no dates for years formed. It's coming upto 50 years old and I don't think it looks dated at all.

Also, I have a feeling that if we did change it, the current logo would eventually come back anyway, so it's pointless. I looked at another club who has a bird on their badge, WBA, and imagine changing your logo as often as this:

West-Bromwich-Albion-Logo-History.jpg

They've had 9 different crests in the time we've had one! I also think the latest ones look pretty naff.

19 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Respectfully, that doesn't answer the question at all.

The fact that there are a couple of lion bronzes outside the city hall which was built in 1938 doesn't explain why a football club which was founded in 1902 has a lion on its badge.

Probably relates to medieval English heraldry, but nothing specific to Norwich. Three lions is English, something to do with Richard I I think. Nothing specific to Norwich.

20 hours ago, ncfcstar said:

I'm quite a fan of the scaled back version on the third kit this year, they've had similar things on clothes in the shop etc too.  I wouldn't be averse to having that on the kits and retaining the current badge as the 'club' badge.

That's the only change I'd accept. 

11 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Respectfully, that doesn't answer the question at all.

The fact that there are a couple of lion bronzes outside the city hall which was built in 1938 doesn't explain why a football club which was founded in 1902 has a lion on its badge.

Probably relates to medieval English heraldry, but nothing specific to Norwich. Three lions is English, something to do with Richard I I think. Nothing specific to Norwich.

Perhaps you didn't realise that the current NCFC badge dates from the 1970's. Before that it was just a canary and from memory when I first went in the 1960's there was no badge at all. The current badge includes the lion because it is part of the City of Norwich coat of arms. The link in my last post explains the reason why lions appear in various Norwich coats of arms and why a pair of lions guard the entrance to City Hall. 

Slightly off topic but City Hall has the longest balcony of any building in Europe. Hitler was so impressed with the building he ordered that it shouldn't be bombed. Perhaps he fancied playing the Mayor as well 😊

Edited by dylanisabaddog
  • Like 2

Just to clear up this lion business, it's with the castle on the Norwich coat of arms. In other words, the lion and castle need to be together for it to be a representation, and you see a stylised version of this on the Norwich City crest.

Norwich - Wikipedia
Coat of arms of Norwich

14 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

CHANGE THE BADGE!!!!!!

If i remember correctly on the other badge thread ( still sitting on the front page by the way ) your changes did not gather very much support at all after you differed with my view.

36 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

If i remember correctly on the other badge thread ( still sitting on the front page by the way ) your changes did not gather very much support at all after you differed with my view.

Not true. I have just looked at the first two pages of that thread, and a rough count shows only 5 or so vehemently opposed to any change, and about the same number undecided or not really expressing a view. But about 14 willing in various degrees of enthusiasm to see a change, with some agreeing with my specific points about the amateurish drawing of the ball and the lion. Which are the only things that bother me about the design. In general I like it but bits of it are frankly rubbish and can be improved. My alternative version, which was not meant to be accepted in its entirety but to highlight how those areas could be improved, got 5 likes.

CHANGE THE BADGE NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by PurpleCanary

28 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Not true. I have just looked at the first two pages of that thread, and a rough count shows only 5 or so vehemently opposed to any change, and about the same number undecided or not really expressing a view. But about 14 willing in various degrees of enthusiasm to see a change, with some agreeing with my specific points about the amateurish drawing of the ball and the lion. Which are the only things that bother me about the design. In general I like it but bits of it are frankly rubbish and can be improved. My alternative version, which was not meant to be accepted in its entirety but to highlight how those areas could be improved, got 5 likes.

CHANGE THE BADGE NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will leave the link here to the previous thread so others can judge ( now whoever used to say that ? 😜 ) and if they wish can view all four pages of the thread rather than be selective over a couple of pages. Of course i cannot match your 5 likes but i did get a couple with my LEAVE THE BADGE ALONE post and of course not mentioning those who agreed in seperate posts who you ended up calling philistines.

Oh by the way graphic design was not on the curriculum at Police Academy.

https://forum.pinkun.com/index.php?/topic/142421-new-badge-rumour/page/2/#comments

Edited by TIL 1010

Just now, TIL 1010 said:

I will leave the link here to the previous thread so others can judge ( now whoever used to say that ? 😜 ) and if they wish can view all four pages of the thread rather than be selective over a couple of pages. Of course i cannot match your 5 likes but i did get a couple with my LEAVE THE BADGE ALONE post and of course not mentioning those who agreed in seperate posts who you ended up calling philistines.

Oh by the way Graphic design was not on the curriculum at Police Academy.

Well that doesn't surprise me.

PS. I see Canary Wundaboy has just voted for change...🤓

I don’t think they should change the badge as it’s pretty timeless and still looks good 

however as others have said the odd ‘canary on its own’ for a 3rd kit or a different coloured badge like the ‘for the fans’ goalkeeper shirt would be great 

Edited by Yobocop

6 hours ago, Yobocop said:

I don’t think they should change the badge as it’s pretty timeless and still looks good 

however as others have said the odd ‘canary on its own’ for a 3rd kit or a different coloured badge like the ‘for the fans’ goalkeeper shirt would be great 

This 100&

Leave it alone

Leave alone

Iconic badge which doesn't look outdated after nearly 50 years and is the best badge we've ever had!

Much of the clubs merchandise does feature the simplified version anyway. As a compromise I'd always keep the badge for the home kit and have the simplified version on the away kit which I think is a nice balance!

Best way to decide it is to have a vote amongst fans like we did in 1998/99 when them awful yellow shorts were quite rightly outvoted by fans at a game with yellow and green cards being raised to decide!