FatCanary

Buendia to Arsenal for reported £40m

Surprised that anyone thinks we have a hope in hell of keeping him.

The effect of Covid is the only hope we have for now.

18 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Why?   We are a PL outfit and he gets to ply his trade in the top league in the world. He's made the Agentina squad and his career is going very well - at Norwich. 

Imo the main reason he wanted to move last season was to play in the PL.  Well he's doing that now.  

Will Arsenal be challenging for anythingf next season? Not imo.

Oh do give over. Emi stays here and he fights against relegation next season. He goes to Arsenal and he's fighting for a champions league place. While his Argentina call up has happened in Norwich, playing and doing well at Arsenal would make him an Argentine regular. And let's not ignore the fact he would triple his salary at Arsenal. 

There's plenty of reasons to move to Arsenal if you're Emi.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

I did Broado, but as stated at the time the source was  an Argentinian client with an avid interest in footy.....and NCFC... since I infected her.  She did not provide evidence,  just what she believed,  mind you she does read Argentinian  newspapers  and there may have been something in those when his international  call up was announced.  I may be meeting her on Friday...I'll press for more information. 

At the clinic?

• Haha 1

I think most of us, apart from Lakey, surely realise that if an offer of £40m comes in from a club like Arsenal then a deal is likely to be done.

Gutting as it would be to lose him, he's definitely going to go at some point and the readies could give us a real chance of staying up if we invest wisely across the squad.

While he's nigh on impossible to replace, we do have Cantwell who could step up further this season and others like Martin, who has promise.

If a club pays the going rate for Emi, then I would wish him nothing but good luck & thanks for the memories 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Arsenal could treble his wages, guarantee him Premier League football every season he is there and cement him in the Argentina squad. He won't be challenging for anything at Norwich either, but could damage his international (and financial) by staying at a club that is in a relegation battle. 

Most, if not all, of the reasons give for our crown jewels not leaving are only wishful thinking. We are where we are in the food chain.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, FatCanary said:

Surprised that anyone thinks we have a hope in hell of keeping him.

The effect of Covid is the only hope we have for now.

Managed it in the champs tbf

3 minutes ago, Top corner said:

If a club pays the going rate for Emi, then I would wish him nothing but good luck & thanks for the memories 

This. However if it does happen, my hopes and expectations of staying up would be seriously lowered. Emi was so important this season and would be vital in a PL scrap. One man doesn’t make a team but finding someone of significant quality, on a budget, that then integrates quickly enough to have an impact in a PL relegation fight, sounds like a tall order.

In Webber and Farke I trust but this would be a massive blow. Keeping hold of Farke past next season and Emi for this season are priorities one and two right now

1 minute ago, BigFish said:

Most, if not all, of the reasons give for our crown jewels not leaving are only wishful thinking. We are where we are in the food chain.

And you, as a BigFish, know about food chains more than most. He's probably off. Rather Arsenal than a club like Chelsea who make me sick

3 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Managed it in the champs tbf

He hadn't quite had a record breaking season of that scale at that point. There were still doubts over his temperament then, too.

Just now, FatCanary said:

He hadn't quite had a record breaking season of that scale at that point. There were still doubts over his temperament then, too.

I will believe it all when I see it. I think we have a good chance of keeping him. We managed it when exactly the same rumours were circling in January 

Just now, Dr Greenthumb said:

I will believe it all when I see it. I think we have a good chance of keeping him. We managed it when exactly the same rumours were circling in January 

this is a little more concrete, I'm afraid.

17 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Arsenal could treble his wages, guarantee him Premier League football every season he is there and cement him in the Argentina squad. He won't be challenging for anything at Norwich either, but could damage his international (and financial) by staying at a club that is in a relegation battle. 

There are two ways of looking at it and I agree with what you say up to a point, but the other side to it is that he gets to stay at a club he is doing very well at, guaranteed starter every match (when fully focussed), family settled, good wages.  Going to Arsenal (is Arteta as good a coach as Farke?) means he will not necessarily start every match, may not even break in to the team ahead of what they've got and might not be suited to living in London. 

Arsenal? Seems a bit meh to me - and does trebled wages really make a difference to a footballer when they are already very well off? Staying at Norwich almost guarantees he will have another good season and his value could put him in the range of a Man City or Liverpool type top club.

Hold on, stay at Norwich and be part of something special, see your family grow in a good friendly environment, stay and be part of us make a good challenge next season - there is nothing pre-determined that says we are going to be in a relegation battle.

I still think Arsenal will wait until they've sold some, unless Kroenke decides he's going to be proactive. Covid will undoubtedly hit finances pretty hard, but considering that they were asked about the European Super League and that they had a potential takeover in the wings, it might spur ('arf) Kroenke and cohorts into more proactive transfer business to make up with the fans somewhat.

Pure hypothesising at my end though.

30 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

You mean the Argentina squad that he got into whilst with us in the Champs?  
Don’t disagree with what you say but you could argue that shining in a lower PL side vs potentially not playing in a bigger one: which is better/more ‘harmful’?

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

There are two ways of looking at it and I agree with what you say up to a point, but the other side to it is that he gets to stay at a club he is doing very well at, guaranteed starter every match (when fully focussed), family settled, good wages.  Going to Arsenal (is Arteta as good a coach as Farke?) means he will not necessarily start every match, may not even break in to the team ahead of what they've got and might not be suited to living in London. 

Arsenal? Seems a bit meh to me - and does trebled wages really make a difference to a footballer when they are already very well off? Staying at Norwich almost guarantees he will have another good season and his value could put him in the range of a Man City or Liverpool type top club.

Hold on, stay at Norwich and be part of something special, see your family grow in a good friendly environment, stay and be part of us make a good challenge next season - there is nothing pre-determined that says we are going to be in a relegation battle.

Play in the capital at one of the best stadiums in England and treble your wages. Stay at Norwich and be ecstatic with the rest of us if we stay up, your right it’s a tricky decision. 

If its 40 million up front, no stupid addons or payments, AND webber gets all of it to spend, then fine. 

If not, we have given up before a ball has been kicked. Without buendia, or a couple of significant replacements, we don't stand a chance. 

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

There are two ways of looking at it and I agree with what you say up to a point, but the other side to it is that he gets to stay at a club he is doing very well at, guaranteed starter every match (when fully focussed), family settled, good wages.  Going to Arsenal (is Arteta as good a coach as Farke?) means he will not necessarily start every match, may not even break in to the team ahead of what they've got(1) and might not be suited to living in London(2)

Arsenal? Seems a bit meh to me - and does trebled wages really make a difference to a footballer when they are already very well off?(3) Staying at Norwich almost guarantees he will have another good season and his value could put him in the range of a Man City or Liverpool type top club (4).

Hold on, stay at Norwich and be part of something special, see your family grow in a good friendly environment, stay and be part of us make a good challenge next season - there is nothing pre-determined that says we are going to be in a relegation battle (5).

(1) He would need to find this out in negotiations with Arsenal - but they aren't spending £40m on a backup

(2) Yeah, what young wealthy person wants to live in one of the world's truly global cities? Even if he hates city life, he can live in Hertfordshire (like many Arsenal players) which is really nice and largely rural still.

(3) Arsenal's stature is huge compared to Norwich, even if they are not at their full pomp right now they. Pretty sure every footballer when offered a chance to move to a larger stature club on a large wage jumps at the chance.

(4) It really doesn't - to get a move to Liverpool or Man City you have to be not only of the highest level, but also in a position they need a player. Getting a move to a club larger than Arsenal is incredibly hard and no player would hold out in the hope it would happen.

(5) True, Norwich may not be in a relegation battle, but for Emi why even take the risk if another option is available? Emi came to Norwich in the hope it would be a springboard to a bigger club (like many of the young players Norwich have signed) Why would he then reject that chance when it comes? Objectively it is surely obvious that staying at Norwich is a gamble and the pay off isn't that big if everything goes well. What more could Emi achieve by staying? Not a huge amount in all honesty. 

• Like 3

We ought to make a decent attempt to keep him. Its all very well saying thats what we are but there is nothing wrong in trying like billyo to keep him.

If we are looking to bring someone in to replace him then how much of that £40M will we have to spend? Could we not offer to double his wages? For instance, another 40K a week over three years (reduced if we are relegated) is only another £6M.

That could be pipe dreams but new signings don't always pay off for EPL teams. I don't know what the percentage would be at all clubs of pound for pound successes but I would doubt its 50%.

I know we would take what Hodgson said about Palace that staying in the EPL is a success but they have managed to keep their best player against the odds.

Obviously I haven't a clue what goes on at the club and efforts may well be at full stretch to keep every player. And of course, the player may well have desires to play for a "big" club.

1 hour ago, FatCanary said:

And also because I think breaking news on the future of possibly our greatest ever player is worth more than a reply to a 'catch-all' thread started by somebody with little man syndrome....

edit: this is not personal to whoever did start that thread, i haven't looked, just in general the idea of 'you must post in MY thread' is a bit weird.

Well said 

Arsenal are a bit of a joke at the moment. Out of their squad you could probably hand pick 5/6 that are good enough to play for them. The rest need to be put on the scrap heap. As mentioned the value they are putting on their fringe players is absurd. Arteta isn’t right for them and are the Kroenke’s really going to splash the cash. I can’t see it. 

7 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

What more could Emi achieve by staying? Not a huge amount in all honesty.

For him, there is very little upside in staying if he had the choice. Enormous downside risks though.

Well I'm still holding on to the fact that we don't need to sell anyone, that with a few tweaks we could mount a real challenge next season and that our club is the best one to be at for a the caring aspect for players and their families. That is a lot to give up, whoever is coming in for any of our players. 

A footballer's career is short, if you are happy where you are and think/believe your ambitions can be met where you are, then there is no pressure to move. Agents/other clubs may try and persuade you otherwise, the big money might be tempting, but really the unmeasurable things are the important things. 

Money/London/struggling big club with questionable set up/? Keep it.

To be honest a lot of it will come down to Emi himself, whether he is happy to stay another season and see how things pan out against relegation, or whether he'd like to leave. He's just been shown it is possible to get called up internationally with Norwich, so it might make him think he is okay to stay here a little longer. We all know he is going to go eventually, but he perhaps needs to prove he can do it in the Prem first so one season more might be. For Norwich's sake I hope he stays, we'll get more money for him and for him personally it is another year of development

So many opinions expressed as facts on this thread, as is usual and to be expected. Nothing wrong with that, although perhaps the current Arsenal FC are being a bit over-bigged up.

Buendia is contracted at Carrow Road. He is not unhappy at Carrow Road. He wants to better himself so would be attracted to a lucrative move.

We need an offer that cannot be refused. That's the real fact.

Edited by BroadstairsR

Honestly give up at times some of the absolute nonsense on this thread makes me look like Einstein 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The hard reality of it is, Norwich will be in a relegation battle, it's fine, I think most of us have come to accept that fact.

So why would Emi not push for a move to a bigger club, isn't that also part of our ethos, career development for players?

But without Emi our chances of staying up are lessened and who replaces him is the bigger question - anyone have any sensible suggestions just for kicks (and to allay my woe).

3 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Well I'm still holding on to the fact that we don't need to sell anyone, that with a few tweaks we could mount a real challenge next season and that our club is the best one to be at for a the caring aspect for players and their families. That is a lot to give up, whoever is coming in for any of our players. 

A footballer's career is short, if you are happy where you are and think/believe your ambitions can be met where you are, then there is no pressure to move. Agents/other clubs may try and persuade you otherwise, the big money might be tempting, but really the unmeasurable things are the important things. 

Money/London/struggling big club with questionable set up/? Keep it.

Mount a real challenge for what? Champions League or one of the cups?