FatCanary

Buendia to Arsenal for reported £40m

26 minutes ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

They will hope that some of the fan base have been listening for the past four years! 

This was ALWAYS on the cards and they've made that crystal clear.

I doubt it though. I thought Webber had made it pretty clear that we'd be open to offers for Buendia/Aarons/Cantwell, but that we wouldn't sell if it didn't break our transfer record.

He also said to judge the squad at the end of the window, but the sky will have fallen in for too many on here by then.

2 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

David Ornstein and Michael Bailey have posted an article saying it's £33m up front, £5m add one and 10% sell on. 

Frankly that sounds a good deal if it's true. At least the deal is done pretty early and it gives us time and money to rebuild a stronger team for PL survival this time round. I, like probably all City fans, would have loved Buendia to stay. However, it was always highly probable that he would leave, so time to move on and trust that Webber has his mind firmly focussed on improving the overall ability of the squad.

19 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

That’s fine, but there’s no excuse to let him go with nothing lined up in replacement.

I was going to reply to say this takes the prize for the stupidest post of the thread so far, but then I read this:

19 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I guess the real question is who's replacing Emi- Given he was Pukkis main outlet and over half of Pukkis goals have been down to Emi i really do worry, even more given how poorly Pukki did last time in the Prem and that was with Emi.. And now he's gone.

Pukki did *not* do poorly last time in the Prem, he started on fire and was fawned over by the pundits. Then he broke his toe.

And then I read this:

14 minutes ago, Virtual reality said:

Then the model only works at championship level and isn’t fit for purpose at PL level 

You’re clearly living in a virtual world where something happening once is proof it will always happen.

I get why people are upset and emotional, I’m disappointed too, but how about we all take a breath and a step back before making knee jerk statements that don’t make any sense.

4 minutes ago, Icecream Snow said:

I doubt it though. I thought Webber had made it pretty clear that we'd be open to offers for Buendia/Aarons/Cantwell, but that we wouldn't sell if it didn't break our transfer record.

He also said to judge the squad at the end of the window, but the sky will have fallen in for too many on here by then.

Very true.

I get it that people are upset ... I'm absolutely gutted. For me, though, looking at the big picture and bearing in mind Webber's logic helps me to stomach it.

4 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

I was going to reply to say this takes the prize for the stupidest post of the thread so far, but then I read this:

Pukki did *not* do poorly last time in the Prem, he started on fire and was fawned over by the pundits. Then he broke his toe.

And then I read this:

You’re clearly living in a virtual world where something happening once is proof it will always happen.

I get why people are upset and emotional, I’m disappointed too, but how about we all take a breath and a step back before making knee jerk statements that don’t make any sense.

At this rate we're going to get a billion-pound sponsorship deal from Pampers for all the nappy-crapping going on.

6 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Frankly that sounds a good deal if it's true. At least the deal is done pretty early and it gives us time and money to rebuild a stronger team for PL survival this time round. I, like probably all City fans, would have loved Buendia to stay. However, it was always highly probable that he would leave, so time to move on and trust that Webber has his mind firmly focussed on improving the overall ability of the squad.

It’s a good point. Getting the deal done as soon as possible is worth a lot to us. Would £40 million with a week to go at the end of the transfer window be better? It would probably cost us the extra gained in higher fees for our targets.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fiery Zac said:

And can I just say...

F***ING VILLA?!? REALLY?!

What is wrong with Emi??? So he really didn’t mean anything said during the title win. If he wanted to leave, should just have kept his mouth shut and waited for it to happen (as I’m sure the club had assured him it would). Lack of class shown and unfortunately just reaffirmed my previous view of the vast majority of footballers. Thought he was different.

An extremely poor way to leave a club that has helped him so much.

Im not angry, just extremely disappointed 😞 

That’s exactly it for me, all these people angry at the club or cheeky Villa for buying a very good player. Don’t blame either of them.

It’s Emi himself who gave the supporters false hope he’d still be here for the start of next season - not Webber! 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TheGunnShow said:

At this rate we're going to get a billion-pound sponsorship deal from Pampers for all the nappy-crapping going on.

Now that is cunning thinking from Webber! Tena for Men sponsorship might be on the cards?

1 minute ago, Nuff Said said:

Now that is cunning thinking from Webber! Tena for Men sponsorship might be on the cards?

Goes well with the War Paint.

1 hour ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Tbf we heard of the first bid what yesterday, or the day before? Hard to believe any club has reached their maximum price in that time. The figure I’ve seen is £30mil or 35mil euros, not sure about add ons but that’s ****ing peanuts for Emi Buendia.

Literally as soon as he puts on that Villa shirt he automatically becomes a £50-60m player just because it’s Villa and we’re little Norwich.

This will go down as the most depressing transfer sale in my lifetime.

It’s Aston Villa lads. We had long essays from Lakey saying how he shouldn’t even go to Arsenal because he can go to the very top with someone like Man City.

Aston ****ing Villa. How’s that for an absolute humbling?

This must be the PinkUn end of times when people start quoting Lakey as some sort of football expert.

2 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

This must be the PinkUn end of times when people start quoting Lakey as some sort of football expert.

In fairness he was the only person who said we’d beat Man City in 2019, he’s clearly a man way ahead of his own time...

Seriously though I’m interested to see what he thinks of this transfer after arguing at long length how Arsenal weren’t even a viable option.

Funnily enough Villa weren’t even on the table at that point in that thread were they? There was no discussion to be had about them. We all knew he wouldn’t go to Villa so it was just a question of Arsenal or someone bigger....

It’s really sad that this transfer will surely leave a sour taste in the mouth for the greatest NCFC I’ve seen. I don’t think I can stomach seeing him do well there.

12 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Being a Norwich fan is not good, might as well support a team with a board that cares. Delia is rich from capitalism but hates it … funny how the world works.

2 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I guess the real question is who's replacing Emi- Given he was Pukkis main outlet and over half of Pukkis goals have been down to Emi i really do worry, even more given how poorly Pukki did last time in the Prem and that was with Emi.. And now he's gone.

Teemu was #4 scorer in Euro qualifiers for arguably the weakest side who made it. Scored against Italy. Lost to CR7 by 1 and Kane by 2 goals.

19/20 was all about Norwich's crippled defence undermining offense, and running our only PL quality striker to the ground.

Also, Emi didn't play well a lot of the time. Don't sugar coat his uneven - if promising - performance. He wasted more chances than anyone, lost the ball in bad places and sat on grass like a 6 year old. 20/21 is the season he grew up and became the best. And yes, we'll have hell of a time replacing him. 

2 hours ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

They will hope that some of the fan base have been listening for the past four years! 

This was ALWAYS on the cards and they've made that crystal clear.

Just because you tell someone you are going to punch them in the face doesn’t make it ok to do it. 

24 minutes ago, Upo said:

Teemu was #4 scorer in Euro qualifiers for arguably the weakest side who made it. Scored against Italy. Lost to CR7 by 1 and Kane by 2 goals.

19/20 was all about Norwich's crippled defence undermining offense, and running our only PL quality striker to the ground.

Also, Emi didn't play well a lot of the time. Don't sugar coat his uneven - if promising - performance. He wasted more chances than anyone, lost the ball in bad places and sat on grass like a 6 year old. 20/21 is the season he grew up and became the best. And yes, we'll have hell of a time replacing him. 

The bit in bold should be shouted louder for everyone at the back. When your defence is crippled as ours so clearly was, so is the attack simply as everyone throughout the team has to compensate for the resulting problems in defence.

Ha ha you couldn’t write it, numerous Arsenal fans are now saying they never really wanted Buendia anyway, and the ‘much better’ Pereira was the preferred choice - yeah whatever lads 😂

On the plus side, we can now add 3 £10m players to our squad. One of them might be Skipp, one of the other two might be the next Buendia

Just now, AJ said:

On the plus side, we can now add 3 £10m players to our squad. One of them might be Skipp, one of the other two might be the next Buendia

Yep, I still think the Buendia replacement will be another South American in a similar vein, we will definitely have been planning for this moment for some time so things will definitely become very interesting, and I’d imagine soon too.

5 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Ha ha you couldn’t write it, numerous Arsenal fans are now saying they never really wanted Buendia anyway, and the ‘much better’ Pereira was the preferred choice - yeah whatever lads 😂

Going to be really funny if we get Pereira….

2 hours ago, Ultralk26 said:

Being a Norwich fan is not good, might as well support a team with a board that cares. Delia is rich from capitalism but hates it … funny how the world works.

Why has this third tier sloppy seconds hoof hoofball binner not been banned yet?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, birchfest said:

Going to be really funny if we get Pereira….

Oh I’d love it! But I hate to say it, I do think he’s going to have many many options this summer after an outstanding season in the Prem so I’d be extremely surprised if we got him. 

12 minutes ago, AJ said:

Absolutely...though the worrying thing is that they are the next RvW or Naismith.😕

There’s definitely reasonable PL value out there if you look - Gibson and Giannoulis £15m combined.

Edited by Branston Pickle

8 minutes ago, AJ said:

£10m for Skipp would be robbery.

1 minute ago, All the Germans said:

£10m for Skipp would be robbery.

Just like £33m for Buendia then! Anything is possible

30m doesn’t buy 3 x 10m premiership players from previous experience due to wages. Someone with that kind of price tag ready for that level will no doubt want 65k+ pw. Three yr deal is 10m on top of the fee so it’s more like 1.5 players, at least that’s how it will all be justified. Talk Periera and alike is pie in the sky while we operate (by choice or not) under the current model.

3 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

And then I read this:

While I’m upset he’s going, I understand and accept it even though I also agree with the argument that no team in recent memory have got promoted to the PL and sold off their best players.

Therefore if we are going to because that’s our way, bare minimum I’d expect is we have something lined up in terms of replacement.

A few things to add:

- We can assume that we told Buendia 'give us one more season and then we'll sell you' when he had his strop at the beginning of the season. 33 million is low but we can only assume that Arsenal/Athletico opted out. God knows what Arsenal are doing though, missing out at that price. 

- Webber would have wanted to sell at least one asset early in the window so that he can get on with bringing players in asap. He can't spend big money without having the guarantee that we actually have it.

- My main concern is that we have lost our main defensive shield (Skipp) and our most creative player (Buendia). It seems like we are already 2-0 down. Yes, we will bring in players but our budget will still be less than every other team in the division. Webber will have to get every transfer right for us to have any chance of staying up.

- Can't imagine this has done any good to the squad morale. Hopefully this won't dent our momentum/confidence going into the new season.

My overriding thought is that Premier League survival is the only way that Webber can come out of this as with any credit. If we go down, the first thing that we (and the neutrals) will say is "it was ridiculous to sell your best player". The pressure on him to deliver now is huge. It'll be interesting to see what happens over the next few months.