FatCanary

Buendia to Arsenal for reported £40m

33 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

Reading between the lines, Emi wishes to go and Norwich looking to make as much money as early in the window as feasibly possible. Win win for everyone really. I cant see him being here this season but £40m to reinvest in the squad will help matters, of course on top of what ever the transfer budget is at the moment.

What concerns me is how will we find anyone to replace his assists and goals. Unless history repeats and Webber has already found the next Emi 2.0 model.

16 hours ago, DraytonBoy said:

Really, how do you work that out?

£95 million spent on transfer fees + wages on those. Add the wages on players and staff already at the club and that will easily exceed £130 million.

Then add in the fact no clubs have had income from fans at matches and that could easily add up to £50 million for a club the size of Leeds. Top clubs have lost in excess of £100 million from covid.

10 minutes ago, Satriales said:

What concerns me is how will we find anyone to replace his assists and goals. Unless history repeats and Webber has already found the next Emi 2.0 model.

Surely most people within the club would of expected Emi to move on for some 12 months now, so I am sure they have highlighted some cheaper alternatives to replace him with. We can only sit back and watch it unfold really.

Looks likely that both Emi and Max won’t be here in August, massive holes to fill. You can see the headlines “ Norwich City fail again, no ambition to stay in PL “

Its not necessarily a bad thing for the club. The emphasis is on Webber to add quality additions where needed with more money in his pocket to find quality additions. We move on and gives us a bigger warchest for this window. I still think we need between 5-7 signings, rather than whats being touted.

If Emi wants to be playing at the highest level as his latest interview states, then he will not be doing that at either Arsenal or Villa, neither are even in the Europa league next season.

Form

12 minutes ago, duke63 said:

If Emi wants to be playing at the highest level as his latest interview states, then he will not be doing that at either Arsenal or Villa, neither are even in the Europa league next season.

For me I can see him playing at Athletico under Simone, if there interest is real. That way we dont have to watch him against us next season in the Prem.

Edited by jaberry2
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

Form

For me I can see him playing at Athletico under Simone, if there interest is real. That way we dont have to watch him against us next season in the Prem.

Agreed - if he *has* to leave this window, Atletico would be far less painful than seeing him at another club in the Premier League. 

I would be very disappointed if he moved onto Villa or Arsenal. Not sure Smith and Arteta will take him to that elite level where’s Simeone was a great player and is a great manager. That and a chance to play in the Champion’s League should be a no brainer. 

Arsenal need Emi to get them back into Europe but realistically won’t be challenging for the title next year and Villa make well be trying to fend off clubs for Grealish considering how he does in the Euro’s. So for me, Atletico or another top European club. I don’t think i could watch our Emi play for another PL club. He would tear us a new one. 

3 minutes ago, Ekoku: The Ambassador Of The People said:

I would be very disappointed if he moved onto Villa or Arsenal. Not sure Smith and Arteta will take him to that elite level where’s Simeone was a great player and is a great manager. That and a chance to play in the Champion’s League should be a no brainer. 

Arsenal need Emi to get them back into Europe but realistically won’t be challenging for the title next year and Villa make well be trying to fend off clubs for Grealish considering how he does in the Euro’s. So for me, Atletico or another top European club. I don’t think i could watch our Emi play for another PL club. He would tear us a new one. 

He's going to that elite level regardless.    Given his talents and defensive capability, it's inevitable.    He needs to stay until a top 4 club come calling.   They will!     He's better than Grealish as he will demonstrate next season wherever he is.   As good as Grealish is, he spends half the game on the deck, it disrupts Villa's momentum).   £40m seems a bargain!   

10 minutes ago, Ekoku: The Ambassador Of The People said:

I’d be looking at £40 million from Arsenal as they are certainly a club looking to compete for European football and trophies, but Villa would be £50 million as they’re just a ****e Club!

28 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

As good as Grealish is, he spends half the game on the deck, it disrupts Villa's momentum).   £40m seems a bargain!   

I understand that some may not like Grealish due to his antics and behaviour at times, but he's a brilliant player who should be playing at a much higher level than he currently is. If anything has disrupted Villa's momentum this season, it is Grealish being unavailable: Villa won 42 points in 24 games when Grealish starts, and 13 in 14 when he doesn't. Six goals and 12 assists in 24 starts is a similar rate to Buendia, but in the league above.

6 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

The Emi/Messi thing was first reported by Michael Bailey and it purely relates to Messi asking Emi if he was going to continue with the Spain youth teams - which he was playing for at the time - or if he would switch to Argentina. Messi isn't covertly tapping up Buendia - or at least no suggestion that is happening.

Barca are skint, skint, skint which is why they are having a fire sale. They were supposed to be bringing in Wijnaldum and Depay this summer but it seems this is dragging on and on due to Barca's lack of budget. They aren't going to spend £40m+ on a player from Norwich. Maybe they have 'enquired' like they 'enquired' about Aarons last close season but I really can't see them being able to come up with a suitable offer.

It's not what Messi said and when. It's in what context Emi chose to speak out.

Barca's problems are mainly its short term debts and bloated wages. They're in process of cutting them with an axe and that means getting rid of certain players and renegotiating wages. Coutinho is expensive. If they sell him, they get £35-40M plus his bloated wages. That's what they'd pay for Emi.

Rolling over debt or refinancing into long term debt is not going to be a huge problem if they balance their budget.

2 hours ago, CANARYKING said:

Looks likely that both Emi and Max won’t be here in August, massive holes to fill. You can see the headlines “ Norwich City fail again, no ambition to stay in PL “

£65-70M in these transfer markets... As much as I like Emi and Max, they'd be gone this year or next year anyway. The opportunity to get more bang for your £ is exceptional right at this moment. We are at our most attractive and our competitors at their weakest. Our timing couldn't be better.

1 hour ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I understand that some may not like Grealish due to his antics and behaviour at times, but he's a brilliant player who should be playing at a much higher level than he currently is. If anything has disrupted Villa's momentum this season, it is Grealish being unavailable: Villa won 42 points in 24 games when Grealish starts, and 13 in 14 when he doesn't. Six goals and 12 assists in 24 starts is a similar rate to Buendia, but in the league above.

Good stats, not denying his ability and impact on the side and he could be even more effective if he used his strength to hold off players, his constant toppling does halt their attacks though and when the ref doesn't buy the dive, it leaves them vulnerable to counters.   I genuinely believe Buendia is going to prove the better player over the next few years.   

Its incredible that we have players being spoken about in sentences with Liverpool, Bayern, Barca and Athletico.   In Emi's case he should wait for them to come calling.  It won't be long.    

The Pinkun is reporting that Emi is in Madrid this weekend. It could be he is catching up with mates from his old youth team, more likely he is having talks with Athletico. Obviously, this would have to be sanctioned by Webber so a move may be imminent.

5 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

The Pinkun is reporting that Emi is in Madrid this weekend. It could be he is catching up with mates from his old youth team, more likely he is having talks with Athletico. Obviously, this would have to be sanctioned by Webber so a move may be imminent.

Or it could be he’s on holiday and has gone back to his house in Madrid 

Who knows what is going on other than Emi Buendia almost certainly does not play for Norwich next season. Let us hold hands and cry into our expected pile of money. 😭

7 hours ago, Fuzzar said:

Excellent background research Upo - glad you're keeping abreast of things.

Does look increasingly likely that he'll be off, somewhere...

Thanks, but my post just got upended by a damn tweet. Also you are probably right.

4 minutes ago, Upo said:

Who knows what is going on other than Emi Buendia almost certainly does not play for Norwich next season. Let us hold hands and cry into our expected pile of money. 😭

Can we wave it towards the binners.............

3 hours ago, duke63 said:

£95 million spent on transfer fees + wages on those. Add the wages on players and staff already at the club and that will easily exceed £130 million.

Then add in the fact no clubs have had income from fans at matches and that could easily add up to £50 million for a club the size of Leeds. Top clubs have lost in excess of £100 million from covid.

Transfers fees are often paid over years so I doubt all the tv money has disappeared.

40 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

I think his family are based in Madrid. Would be some jump to go from no bids at all to already in talks with a club 

1 hour ago, Rock The Boat said:

He spent over a decade living there and his missus is from Madrid, so I think the likely explanation is that he's introducing his newborn son to the family. 

Ouch bit of a blow if true... Sky sports just reporting that the sell on fee for Buendia is 20%.
Even more important we get at least 40 minimum. 

image.thumb.png.71088398c1463d17707b6b95e09658c9.png

Edited by crab man

We have benefited from sell on clauses on our transfers previously. 

whilst 20% is a large amount - we would be hypocritical to complain, as without it Emi probably wouldnt have signed for us. 

If Max and Emi go we can say without ambition that yet again the stowmarket 2 have bottled it and have no ambition

its a real test of how much they want to stay in the premier league