FatCanary

Buendia to Arsenal for reported £40m

21 minutes ago, duke63 said:

Emi will only end up at Villa if they sold Grealish. 

I live local to Villa and rumours are his recent 'injury' problems might not be entirely football related..which i would think would scare off any big money move for him.

Go on...

(Provided you're not explicit enough to libel anyone)

2 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Go on...

(Provided you're not explicit enough to libel anyone)

When I read this his name sprang to mind. I've not read anything to suggest it is him. Just my opinion.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-9280415/England-international-Premier-League-star-hooked-sleeping-pills.html

6 hours ago, BigFish said:

We are we are I am afraid @king canary, the self funding model takes time if is to be successful and requires us to move on players when we can profit, if only to encourage prospective signings that the club would grow them and not stand in their way. The club doesn't generate enough income atm for it to be otherwise. Villa's average attendance is greater than 40k, ours for all the reasons we know is less than three quarters of that.

The club have always been self funding, how much time are you giving?

2 hours ago, Indy said:

I’m at a loss on how any club can be a billion in debt! How can you borrow a billion without the assets to borrow against!

Man Utd have done it for years

• Like 1

The biggest concern for me is that Webber is coming across as actively touting the sale of Buendia rather than sending a message to the player that Norwich would desperately like to keep him.

Buendia has already stated how the team has grown together and would hope to kick on next season. On the face of it he appears settled.

Keeping Buendia would be the biggest boost to the fans, far greater than any potential new signing.

If Norwich had failed to win promotion then there could be no argument, but to sell him on gaining promotion........seriously?

I’m sure it has been answered before, but have any other Championship Champions sold their star player before the first kick of the new season?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Indy said:

I’m at a loss on how any club can be a billion in debt! How can you borrow a billion without the assets to borrow against!

Suspect that debt is primarily because they have a brand new stadium.... which is presumably the asset.

1 hour ago, DraytonBoy said:

Thanks to the tv money clubs have huge turnovers so are seen as a 'good risk', Leeds earned £130 million+ from tv alone in their first season back in the PL.

And spent it all. With no other significant income stream.

8 minutes ago, unique said:

Keeping Buendia would be the biggest boost to the fans, far greater than any potential new signing.

Agreed.   Would give him £4-£5 million bonus just to stay next season and close down all the speculation now!

6 minutes ago, duke63 said:

And spent it all. With no other significant income stream.

Really, how do you work that out?

Edited by DraytonBoy

So who do we think are the serious parties to Emi’s signature this summer, realistically? Hopefully this will all prove hypothetical, and talk of him deciding to leave is down to his over enthusiastic agent (AGAIN) rather than Emi himself.

Favourites - Arsenal. Possibilities - Liverpool, Spurs, Atletico Madrid. Unlikely - West Ham, Aston Villa. 

Bayern Munich?

I do think we’ll be seeing some competition for him in the close season from clubs that have not yet come to light, there may well be interest from Italy etc that we’re yet to hear about.

7 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

So who do we think are the serious parties to Emi’s signature this summer, realistically? Hopefully this will all prove hypothetical, and talk of him deciding to leave is down to his over enthusiastic agent (AGAIN) rather than Emi himself.

Favourites - Arsenal. Possibilities - Liverpool, Spurs, Atletico Madrid. Unlikely - West Ham, Aston Villa. 

Bayern Munich?

I do think we’ll be seeing some competition for him in the close season from clubs that have not yet come to light, there may well be interest from Italy etc that we’re yet to hear about.

Arsenal and Athletico seem the most likely in my opinion. 

I can see West Ham focusing their efforts or getting Lingaard in longer term. Spurs, impossible to say without a manager. Can't see Liverpool going for him.

8 minutes ago, king canary said:

Arsenal and Athletico seem the most likely in my opinion. 

I can see West Ham focusing their efforts or getting Lingaard in longer term. Spurs, impossible to say without a manager. Can't see Liverpool going for him.

Right, out of the rumours, I’d say I’m in pretty much agreement there, KC. I appreciate Bethnal is very knowledgeable on such things but can’t help but feel that despite Atletico’s debt, they are way too big a club for the world to stand still despite the financial issues. There does seem to be a bit of smoke there, and Diego Simeone appears to be a bit keen on Emi. So I think Arsenal lead the chase but I agree Atletico maybe closer than perhaps we realise. If I was to counter myself, then I would say I have a feeling that Emi really does see his future in the Premier League for the foreseeable though. We all desperately want him to stay though, and I can’t think of anything worse than seeing him move to say Arsenal and then falling out of favour with Arteta for whatever reason whilst we’re crying out for a player that would 110% be a starter for us in each and every league game. I’ll stick my neck out though and say by Emi’s choice alone, he will commit to next season with us and then see what happens from there. I think the project for him is not over, and there’s fairly significant ambition here that he’s well aware of. Norwich City is a great place to be right now. And a crazy season like Leicester or something and you never know what could happen from there, as unlikely as that is. Btw, on a completely unrelated note, it’s nearly 30 years since we finished 3rd in the Premier League, just saying 😜

Ultimately I cant see any thing happening this side of his international call up. Norwich won't agree to rush it through yet, just imagine if he goes there, gets a couple of assists and a goal then gets a full call up for the Americas Cup? If we rush it through we might lose out on an extra 5-10 million of value he could add to himself by becoming an Argentina tournament squad member. 

I have no doubt Norwich know this, and I think judging by Emi's previous comments its probably the only thing he's thinking about at the moment. All of this will play out after he's had his chance back home.  

5 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Favourites seem to be Arsenal and Villa

Reason I don’t think Villa are in that bracket is because right now they’re offering no more to him next season than perhaps a pay rise. He won’t want to get locked into a contract there when he knows his stock is higher than that. I reckon we’ll have him for another season, and you never know, it could well be Man City etc knocking on the door. Villa is a sideways move to me, and Webber’s been quite vocal about that.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Reason I don’t think Villa are in that bracket is because right now they’re offering no more to him next season than perhaps a pay rise. He won’t want to get locked into a contract there when he knows his stock is higher than that. I reckon we’ll have him for another season, and you never know, it could well be Man City etc knocking on the door. Villa is a sideways move to me, and Webber’s been quite vocal about that.

Yeah exactly. There is a not unreasonable chance Villa could be involved in a relegation scrap with us next season. 

• Like 1

Apologies if this link has already been shared on here, but some fresh comments from Buendia that he’s made with an Argentinian publication. The fact he chose to mention being linked with the best teams in ‘England and Spain’ in particular suggests to me that the strongly linked Arsenal and Atletico could well be whom he’s alluding to but in not so many words...

https://metro.co.uk/2021/05/25/arsenal-target-emiliano-buendia-fuels-transfer-speculation-with-statement-over-his-future-14645537/?ito=newsnow-feed

Feel we’ll be lucky to see him play another season for us at this rate despite my optimism earlier.

3 hours ago, unique said:

The biggest concern for me is that Webber is coming across as actively touting the sale of Buendia rather than sending a message to the player that Norwich would desperately like to keep him.

Buendia has already stated how the team has grown together and would hope to kick on next season. On the face of it he appears settled.

If Norwich had failed to win promotion then there could be no argument, but to sell him on gaining promotion........seriously?

I’m sure it has been answered before, but have any other Championship Champions sold their star player before the first kick of the new season?

Whilst I agree with the premise of what you're saying, I'm starting to think that we are actually waiting until we sell one of Max, Emi or Todd before we buy anyone.

You would imagine that SW has two separate transfer lists:

- List A contains cheaper players that would be bought using the PL money (circa 15 million budget).

- List B contains players that we would only be able to afford if we sell an asset, and therefore have a bigger budget (circa 45 million + budget).

If SW is expecting bids to be made, he will have to wait for Max or Emi to be sold first before committing to players on list B. 

If this is the case, Webber will want to sell them asap - before the Euros - so that he can get on with the incoming transfers. That's why he's 'actively touting the sale'. It wouldn't surprise me if it was NCFC who leaked Buendia story to David Ornstein earlier this week, as opposed to Emi's agent. 

8 hours ago, birchfest said:

I have to slightly disagree with you on that one (Im currently in my flat 15 minutes from the Wanda). Atletico, whilst in debt, are in a much more stable position to that of Real and Barca, who both find themselves in a position of transition with no money. With their league win its likely Atletico will be looking to cement themselves at the top with a strong window ahead of those two. I have no doubt Emi is on their radar and a strong performance for Argentina will have Cholo Simeone pushing for it as a fellow country man. Its already been a rumour he fancies Buendia as part of a 3 with Felix and Suarez, though nothing officially said as you'd expect. Having watched Atletico this season, creativity is something they have lacked.. its why Tripper has shone with his service from the wings.  

My gut feeling is saying Buendia ends up in Atletico. Emi Buendia as a character just fits perfectly together with Cholismo. He could play out wider either side in the classic Simeone 4-4-2 but also as part of a front three. David Ornstein wrote an article about various recent rumours and there was talk of interest from a continental club, presumably it was Atletico. 

Jesus ****ing christ it would be cool to see Felix and Emi combine and set up Suarez goals. Kind of an upgrade on our trio of Emi, Pukki and Cantwell, but not too dissimilar. I would like to see that much more than him langushing away in the midtable Premier league for Villa or Arsenal

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

Bayern Munich?

Barca.

"According to a report, interest in the City ace extends beyond the Premier League with a 'major continental outfit' making an enquiry for his services last week after his first international call-up was confirmed."

https://www.pinkun.com/sport/norwich-city/emi-buendia-transfer-latest-arsenal-aston-villa-7995270

Huge continental outfit who need a creative attacking midfielder/winger to replace Coutinho.

Earlier in The Mirror intiterview, Emi specifically mentioned that Messi recruited him to Argentina national team. He also said that he told Messi that his dream was to play with him in the same team. This was from an article a month ago. It could be a message from Emi that he wants to go. "Recalling a secret chat" with Messi...could refer to national team, but may as well refer to Barca.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/emi-buendia-recalls-secret-chat-24012958.amp

Add Atletico to the mix and with Arsenal, we might have a bidding war on our hands. I don't know if a club from Italy is in the mix too. I'd say given an option, Emi Buendia would most likely choose Barca.

edit: We can probably forget about Arsenal. Considering Coutinho situation I think Barca is the most likely possibility. There's enough circumstancial evidence.

Edited by Upo

1 hour ago, Upo said:

Earlier in The Mirror in****erview, Emi specifically...

Excellent background research Upo - glad you're keeping abreast of things.

Does look increasingly likely that he'll be off, somewhere...

I'd love him to stay in the EPL, preferably with us, but I think our asking price will limit his options.

Emi continues to improve his workrate and defensive ability, something that Simeone will love. I suspect it will be Atletico.

The Argentina call up is a game changer but he needs to get it right. If he doesn't perform or gets a silly red card, then allied to our asking price, he might just be here at the start of the season.

1 hour ago, Upo said:

Barca.

"According to a report, interest in the City ace extends beyond the Premier League with a 'major continental outfit' making an enquiry for his services last week after his first international call-up was confirmed."

https://www.pinkun.com/sport/norwich-city/emi-buendia-transfer-latest-arsenal-aston-villa-7995270

Huge continental outfit who need a creative attacking midfielder/winger to replace Coutinho.

Earlier in The Mirror intiterview, Emi specifically mentioned that Messi recruited him to Argentina national team. He also said that he told Messi that his dream was to play with him in the same team. This was from an article a month ago. It could be a message from Emi that he wants to go. "Recalling a secret chat" with Messi...could refer to national team, but may as well refer to Barca.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/emi-buendia-recalls-secret-chat-24012958.amp

Add Atletico to the mix and with Arsenal, we might have a bidding war on our hands. I don't know if a club from Italy is in the mix too. I'd say given an option, Emi Buendia would most likely choose Barca.

edit: We can probably forget about Arsenal. Considering Coutinho situation I think Barca is the most likely possibility. There's enough circumstancial evidence.

The Emi/Messi thing was first reported by Michael Bailey and it purely relates to Messi asking Emi if he was going to continue with the Spain youth teams - which he was playing for at the time - or if he would switch to Argentina. Messi isn't covertly tapping up Buendia - or at least no suggestion that is happening.

Barca are skint, skint, skint which is why they are having a fire sale. They were supposed to be bringing in Wijnaldum and Depay this summer but it seems this is dragging on and on due to Barca's lack of budget. They aren't going to spend £40m+ on a player from Norwich. Maybe they have 'enquired' like they 'enquired' about Aarons last close season but I really can't see them being able to come up with a suitable offer.

11 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

Favourites seem to be Arsenal and Villa

Then we have absolutely nothing to worry about, if he leaves us he'll go to a big club not one's who can't even offer European football. 

I'd consider Athletico Madrid to be far more likely - remember that Buendia was at Real in their academy but didn't make it, then was at another Madrid-based club in Getafe before being sent on loan to Leonesa. He's probably still got friends and contacts in Madrid and could hit the ground running far easier over there.

No chance of him going to Villa unless they sell Grealish. No chance of going to Arsenal yet as they'll be trying to get Odegaard.

13 hours ago, unique said:

I guess the question is also, how many similar sized clubs have had the sort of young talent we've had in our squad this season? I personally think Covid plays a big role in us even still having him for this past season.

1 hour ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

The Emi/Messi thing was first reported by Michael Bailey and it purely relates to Messi asking Emi if he was going to continue with the Spain youth teams - which he was playing for at the time - or if he would switch to Argentina. Messi isn't covertly tapping up Buendia - or at least no suggestion that is happening.

Barca are skint, skint, skint which is why they are having a fire sale. They were supposed to be bringing in Wijnaldum and Depay this summer but it seems this is dragging on and on due to Barca's lack of budget. They aren't going to spend £40m+ on a player from Norwich. Maybe they have 'enquired' like they 'enquired' about Aarons last close season but I really can't see them being able to come up with a suitable offer.

I assumed from that conversation between Emi and Messi that when Messi was asking him ‘who’s it going to be?’ and Emi responding ‘I want to play with you for Argentina!’ that this was obviously about the seniors? Emi’s response suggests he took it that way too, as I can’t see Messi switching to the Argentina youth team anytime soon even with all the dough he’s got!

Reading between the lines, Emi wishes to go and Norwich looking to make as much money as early in the window as feasibly possible. Win win for everyone really. I cant see him being here this season but £40m to reinvest in the squad will help matters, of course on top of what ever the transfer budget is at the moment.