Sign in to follow this  
Imported Canary

Petition for a football regulator

21 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

Like to know what power they would have ?

This is what was in the open letter to fans  signed by various ex-players, journalists and fan groups:

Government legislation to block any Premier League clubs attempting to abandon the country’s football pyramid.

The appointment of an Independent Football Regulator.

This regulatory body would have a duty to represent the interests of supporters, protect against bad practices, adjudicate as the overarching body on matters involving the FA, Premier League and EFL and, generally, seek to prioritise the wider good of the game, rather than allow clubs to act solely in their own self-interests.

The cynic in me thinks any gamekeeper will eventually be taken over by the poachers (see: Rick Parry), so would wait on more information on how this will work to prevent that.

The key is that it is given a set of teeth by the government to block moves or redistribute money in some way. Otherwise it would just been as ineffectual as any other supporter group.

I signed the petition anyway, at least the profile of the issue is raised in parliament. 

Edited by WD40

I have sympathy for this but there always has to be a concern when governments/politics get caught up in these things - what remit would it have and who is it answerable to?  It is probably better for football/the FA to have its own rules and police itself.