Icecream Snow

O/T Roy Hodgson to leave at end of season

Will always have a lot of respect for Hodgson- one of the few British managers who had the balls to leave and manage in other countries. Also taking an unfancied team like Fulham to a European final is not something to be sniffed at. I'd assume he's retiring now and good luck to him,  

• Like 9

Not a coach I admired as I thought he was too cautious, and I like International football to be carefree and attacking, club football is what matters to me.t

But his club record is good so he will be remembered as a coach who could grind out the points.

11 minutes ago, king canary said:

Will always have a lot of respect for Hodgson- one of the few British managers who had the balls to leave and manage in other countries. Also taking an unfancied team like Fulham to a European final is not something to be sniffed at. I'd assume he's retiring now and good luck to him,  

Agreed, I've got loads of respect for him for what he has achieved throughout his career. Most of it goes under the radar because it was outside the UK.

As for him leaving Palace, I think this is one of the least surprising pieces of news we'll see this week. He turns 74 this summer and he didn't exactly pull up any trees this season.

It's been brought up before, but the level of churn at Palace this summer means there are going to be an awful lot of decisions being made there this summer that they will need to get right. Seems to be that Lampard or Steve Cooper are favourites to take over, guess Cooper depends on the play-offs. 

Both of those are relatively risky appointments, and with a lot of recruitment likely needed they need to get someone in place ASAP.

Looking at this list makes me very grateful we are a well run club! A lot of players who have been regulars in that list, given the age of most of those players, I wonder how much money is being wasted on players who have hardly played! Also all 3 of their right backs are out of contract this summer. Bizarre.

A very odd side Palace, there's not many I'd take from that team to improve ours. Never rated Benteke, Zaha is a loose cannon who if he could control his attitude could be world class. Eze is probably the only one I'd take a punt on as he's young, and possibly Townsend if you could get him back to his better days.

Palace seem to be a graveyard of players that have failed to make it elsewhere (Beneteke, Zaha, Townsend, Batshuayi, Ayew, Clyne, Kouyate, Van Aanholt etc.)

8 minutes ago, AJ said:

Looking at this list makes me very grateful we are a well run club! A lot of players who have been regulars in that list, given the age of most of those players, I wonder how much money is being wasted on players who have hardly played! Also all 3 of their right backs are out of contract this summer. Bizarre.

A very odd side Palace, there's not many I'd take from that team to improve ours. Never rated Benteke, Zaha is a loose cannon who if he could control his attitude could be world class. Eze is probably the only one I'd take a punt on as he's young, and possibly Townsend if you could get him back to his better days.

Palace seem to be a graveyard of players that have failed to make it elsewhere (Beneteke, Zaha, Townsend, Batshuayi, Ayew, Clyne, Kouyate, Van Aanholt etc.)

Palace are also a pretty well run club as far as I'm aware. 

Minimal external debt, generally make a profit and haven't spent outlandishly while consistently staying in the Premier League. 

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Minimal external debt, generally make a profit and haven't spent outlandishly while consistently staying in the Premier League. 

They're going to have the get chequebook out this summer if they're losing 11 players who are out of contract. Players who can contribute at Premier League level don't come cheap.

10 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

Connor Wickham is 28. The same age Teemu came to us at............................🤔

He'd be the next Drmic

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, king canary said:

They may be well run year to year, but coming to a point where a majority of your squad is around the age of 30 and out of contract in the same summer doesn't scream long term planning. They're seemingly now taking a big risk replacing the manager and building a whole new team, if it works and they stay up then hats off to them. I wouldn't be so surprised if they put together a young squad while also accounting for relegation, with the ability to bounce back up right away like us.

5 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Agreed, I've got loads of respect for him for what he has achieved throughout his career. Most of it goes under the radar because it was outside the UK.

As for him leaving Palace, I think this is one of the least surprising pieces of news we'll see this week. He turns 74 this summer and he didn't exactly pull up any trees this season.

Hodgson's record at palace is 11th,12th,14th and currently 13th...any of us would probably be pretty happy to have that sort of league position.

1 hour ago, repman said:

They may be well run year to year, but coming to a point where a majority of your squad is around the age of 30 and out of contract in the same summer doesn't scream long term planning. They're seemingly now taking a big risk replacing the manager and building a whole new team, if it works and they stay up then hats off to them. I wouldn't be so surprised if they put together a young squad while also accounting for relegation, with the ability to bounce back up right away like us.

Agreed. They haven't spent ridiculously but the situation they find themselves in now is surely down to short-termism 

40 minutes ago, overthebordercanary said:

Hodgson's record at palace is 11th,12th,14th and currently 13th...any of us would probably be pretty happy to have that sort of league position.

For next season yes!

But on a run of 4 consecutive seasons, I would find that incredibly tedious tbh. 

52 minutes ago, overthebordercanary said:

Certainly. He's done very well at Palace overall to avoid a relegation battle every season, especially considering they were bottom when he took over, but after four seasons of lower mid-table finishes with unspectacular football, you can understand why they'd want to freshen things up. Given Hodgson's age, the fact he's out of contract and the need for a large squad overhaul, it's probably the right time.

I'm pleased to see him go out on his own terms too rather than being sacked, because in addition to being a good manager, he comes across as a genuinely nice bloke and one of few gentlemen left in the game.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Icecream Snow said:

Assuming Transfermarkt is accurate, that's a lot of bodies

image.thumb.png.2678f8e808a5821a285b63f96d4c4b66.png

Blimey, no wonder he's retiring.  Who'd want to overser that level of turnover of squad.  Suddenly thinking that's one club that we will finish above now.

8 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Blimey, no wonder he's retiring.  Who'd want to overser that level of turnover of squad.  Suddenly thinking that's one club that we will finish above now.

Ha, no. I always think that. I thought that before when Dwight Gayle injured Klose to curtail our season in 15/16. I thought that when they (pretty much) only signed Cahill in 19/20.

Lately they seem to escape somehow. And I think they’ll do the same again. 

11 minutes ago, Deptford Yellow said:

I seem to recall Hodgson was in the picture as a possible director of football before we signed Webber ……

He wasn't really. Its known he's friends with Delia and people just kind of thought as he's old he might want a DoF job rather than a manager but obviously wasn't the case.

11 minutes ago, Deptford Yellow said:

I seem to recall Hodgson was in the picture as a possible director of football before we signed Webber ……

Only rumours but no substance to them. Ed Balls was very clear that Hodgson was not someone being considered for the role at the time I remember. 

Roy is very good friends with Delia and MWJ so I’m sure they asked him advice about potential sporting directors, like they asked his advice before appointing McNally. 

Might I add I seem to remember it appeared to be between Webber and the chap from Celtic, Ive only ever heard Roy being linked for the managers job and that seemed a sort of lazy journalism due to his friendship with Delia. 

Eze out for a long while as well now... gonna be a big summer for Palace, especially if Zaha finally leaves as well

1 hour ago, Tetteys Jig said:

Eze out for a long while as well now... gonna be a big summer for Palace, especially if Zaha finally leaves as well

Was just going to mention Eze being out until the New Year. I'm a big fan of his and I'd say he's the best they have after Zaha, so that's another £25m player they need to replace.