Sign in to follow this  
Feedthewolf

Placheta in Euros squad!

Sorry if this has been covered, but I couldn't see it elsewhere... Placheta is in the Poland squad! Great news, and fingers crossed he'll get the opportunity to play in the warm-ups and stake his claim.

Considering he's only had a few caps and got his first one recently, that's a sign they like what he's got and what he's brought to the table recently. Not to mention, you'd hope he'd learn from being with some tasty players, Lewandowski being the most obvious case.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Considering he's only had a few caps and got his first one recently, that's a sign they like what he's got and what he's brought to the table recently. Not to mention, you'd hope he'd learn from being with some tasty players, Lewandowski being the most obvious case.

Maybe he could persuade Kacper Kozlowski that we'd be a better destination for him than Man U...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Maybe he could persuade Kacper Kozlowski that we'd be a better destination for him than Man U...

Pssst, Robert.... isn't it boring winning the Bundesliga every year? And I know where to hit those balls you like....

1 minute ago, TheGunnShow said:

Pssst, Robert.... isn't it boring winning the Bundesliga every year? And I know where to hit those balls you like....

And you don't really need that £300k a week, you could get by on a tenth of that, right?

Really pleased for him. I hope he gets some games time and it will be interesting to see how he fares. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Strange how so many people who work around footballers every day, know the sport inside and out rate Placheta and think he's good enough for the very top- Yet half the people on here want him gone as he doesnt score a hatrick after coming on in the 80th minute

• Like 1

I hope he plays well at the Euros even if we then sell him or he wants to leave. New country, food and culture isn’t always easy for some and he lost his mother in the last 2 years. 

33 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

I hope he plays well at the Euros even if we then sell him or he wants to leave. New country, food and culture isn’t always easy for some and he lost his mother in the last 2 years. 

Hadn't realised he lost his mother, poor lad. Can't imagine he'd go back to Poland, though, now he's at a PL club. If he is homesick, I guess the Bundesliga would be a good move for him, but fingers crossed he's in the right frame of mind to have a good crack at the PL with us. I can't imagine he'd get a much better group of lads or a more sympathetic coach anywhere else in Europe!

• Like 1

Can imagine he's good weapon to bring on in the closing stages against a tiring team to whip some crosses in for Lewandowski!

16 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Strange how so many people who work around footballers every day, know the sport inside and out rate Placheta and think he's good enough for the very top- Yet half the people on here want him gone as he doesnt score a hatrick after coming on in the 80th minute

It's not about scoring a hattrick, it's about controlling the ball and getting it to a teammate or making something happen. Unfortunately he gives the impression of offering little apart from raw pace. I don't write players off and I hope he improves. There's obviously some raw ability there.

It's just very raw at the moment. He's made 30 appearances this season covering over 1200 minutes on the pitch and been involved in precisely one goal. In comparison, Josh Martin made 10 appearances over 454 minutes and has one goal and one assist. Even Stiepermann got one goal and two assists in his 1019 minutes. He's been given plenty of chances but hasn't really shown enough for me.

• Like 5

He looked really good at the start of the season and his pace is going to be a great asset to us in the Prem. 

The more traditional type of winger didn’t really suit us last season but next season we have to rely on players to step up their game. 

With his ability and experience (also because he is an unknown at that level) Placheta is an ideal candidate to cause problems for Prem defences. 

1 hour ago, Petriix said:

He's made 30 appearances this season covering over 1200 minutes on the pitch and been involved in precisely one goal.

Yep, for sure he wasn't also involved at all in all of this:

• Like 1

I guess next season he might actually get an opportunity to use his pace. This past season I can't think of a game where he's been involved and the opposition actually played a high line. I imagine teams will come at us next season and we might actually benefit from his attributes then!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skansken said:

Yep, for sure he wasn't also involved at all in all of this:

Don't get hung up on semantics. I mean actual goals and assists. At Championship level. I'm not saying he's rubbish, just that he's very very raw. Hopefully he'll improve, but it's a big step up and I'd be surprised if he ends up playing anywhere near as many as 1200 minutes next season.

Don't get hung up on semantics. I mean actual goals and assists. 

So you're saying "take no notice of what happened, look at the statistics" 

An assist will only register if the a goal is scored. Winning a penalty doesn't count as an assist. 

Placheta had a better season than Hernandez. 

2 hours ago, curious yellow said:

With his ability and experience (also because he is an unknown at that level) Placheta is an ideal candidate to cause problems for Prem defences. 

What experience and what ability makes you think he's going to excel in the Prem when he didn't leave any real mark in the Champ?
I'm 100% in favour of keeping hold of him and giving him a lot more of a chance than he's already had, but I definitely remain unconvinced he'll have a big impact next season.

1 hour ago, Canarywary said:

What experience and what ability makes you think he's going to excel in the Prem when he didn't leave any real mark in the Champ?
I'm 100% in favour of keeping hold of him and giving him a lot more of a chance than he's already had, but I definitely remain unconvinced he'll have a big impact next season.

International experience and his exceptional speed. 

Players can improve and the bigger stage can suit them more. I hope this can happen with Placheta and I hope that this was the aim when we bought him

He hasn't shown enough and Farke rarely gives underperforming players more than a season. 

His opportunity's will be even more limited next season so barring him having an exceptional euros i don't see this working out as hoped. 

I'm not saying he's a bad player, but he has been given a chance and I hope he does get another, but I think its unlikely this will work at this stage. 

On 17/05/2021 at 18:12, TheGunnShow said:

Speaking as somebody who watches the national team, I can honestly say he's brought very little to the table during recent caps. Been about as effective for poland as he has for norwich (and that's from.someone who desperately wants to see a Pole succeed in Norwich).

I'll be stunned if he gets much game time in the tournament. He's light years behind Jozwiak and various others who can play the same position, at the moment. Hopefully he will show something soon but he looks like a bust at this point.

On 17/05/2021 at 18:18, Feedthewolf said:

Kozlowski looks like a star in the making. He's got all the potential in the world. Came on in recent full international games and did not look out of place at all, and he had only just turned 17 at that point.

Theres also a kid at Liverpool called Musialowski, who scored 120+ goals in less than 90 games in the Polish youth leagues. Been tearing it up for Liverpool academy team - really fun player to watch, similar build to Messi and similar playing style. Obviously not comparing talent, but he's clearly watched an awful lot of Messi and modelled his game on him.

On 18/05/2021 at 17:07, curious yellow said:

So you're saying "take no notice of what happened, look at the statistics" 

An assist will only register if the a goal is scored. Winning a penalty doesn't count as an assist. 

Placheta had a better season than Hernandez. 

I've watched almost every minute of every Norwich game this season. You're not going to convince me that Placheta has performed at a level to suggest he will do well in the Premier League.

Dowell is a perfect counterpoint: he's played 200 fewer minutes, he took his time to settle in the team, but has ultimately shown a bit of match-winning quality. He might make the step up, but it's far from guaranteed.

Now, it's possible that Placheta has been working really hard in training and will bring some end product and control to his game. But, so far, he's not shown enough ability to convince me.

Hernandez has also been poor. He has the advantage of having been great at Championship level previously. But I would be surprised if he features much next season. We need to buy someone better.

• Like 1

On 18/05/2021 at 13:05, Petriix said:

It's not about scoring a hattrick, it's about controlling the ball and getting it to a teammate or making something happen. Unfortunately he gives the impression of offering little apart from raw pace. I don't write players off and I hope he improves. There's obviously some raw ability there.

It's just very raw at the moment. He's made 30 appearances this season covering over 1200 minutes on the pitch and been involved in precisely one goal. In comparison, Josh Martin made 10 appearances over 454 minutes and has one goal and one assist. Even Stiepermann got one goal and two assists in his 1019 minutes. He's been given plenty of chances but hasn't really shown enough for me.

This is pretty much how I see it too. I was expecting more from him and he's very raw considering he's 23 with a decent amount of football under his belt now. 

I'd add I think he's adjusting to Farkeball somewhat- he seems reluctant to take players on at times which may be a product of not wanting to give the ball away.

However, if we're talking stats it isnt just his goals and assists than underwhelm a bit. He averages 0.7 key passes a game (ie chances created) which puts him below players like Dowell, Rupp and Vrancic, all of whom have been in and out of the team like Placheta.

• Like 1

I've watched almost every minute of every Norwich game this season. You're not going to convince me that Placheta has performed at a level to suggest he will do well in the Premier League.

Dowell is a perfect counterpoint: he's played 200 fewer minutes, he took his time to settle in the team, but has ultimately shown a bit of match-winning quality. He might make the step up, but it's far from guaranteed.

Now, it's possible that Placheta has been working really hard in training and will bring some end product and control to his game. But, so far, he's not shown enough ability to convince me.

Hernandez has also been poor. He has the advantage of having been great at Championship level previously. But I would be surprised if he features much next season. We need to buy someone better.

Placheta has a ability(pace) which, if he puts in some work could be a great asset. 

Look how last time players like Stiepermann, Vrancic Hernandez and even Buendia didn't score what we might have expected in the Prem. 

This season's statistics will mean nothing next season, we just have to look at what makes a player special, but I'm not writing anybody off. 

11 hours ago, curious yellow said:

Placheta has a ability(pace) which, if he puts in some work could be a great asset. 

Look how last time players like Stiepermann, Vrancic Hernandez and even Buendia didn't score what we might have expected in the Prem. 

This season's statistics will mean nothing next season, we just have to look at what makes a player special, but I'm not writing anybody off. 

Vrancic and Hernandez managed to score even on limited appearances, Buendia was well marked but performed well without scoring and Stiepermann couldn't hit a barn door !

This season Placheta scored one goal, won us a couple of penalties and crossed for Hugill to score. His pace help us defensively as he chased back and harassed opponents in games we were hanging on. If he is to impact at all next season, he needs to firstly improve his passing and his delivery of balls into the oppositions danger area. These first before we talk about goals - which I don't think he was a threat. 

The EDP had a piece a few days back (possibly by Southwell but I cannot find it now) looking at transfer plans, seemingly based on a bit of a steer from Carrow Road, saying Placheta might well be loaned out or even sold. Today Freezer is talking only about him possibly being loaned out, with no mention of a sale.

2 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

The EDP had a piece a few days back (possibly by Southwell but I cannot find it now) looking at transfer plans, seemingly based on a bit of a steer from Carrow Road, saying Placheta might well be loaned out or even sold. Today Freezer is talking only about him possibly being loaned out, with no mention of a sale.

I read the same thing. Think it's very unlikely we sell. Loads of potential with his raw attributes. I'd personally keep him as I think he's an outlet at the top level with us inevitably sitting deeper, especially away from home.

As always though, in Farke/Webber we trust.