Alex Moss

Transfer Rumour Thread Season 2021/22

4 minutes ago, lappinitup said:

"Aston Villa are in advanced talks to sign Norwich City attacker Todd Cantwell, Football Insider can exclusively reveal."

https://www.footballinsider247.com/aston-villa-cantwell-talks/

If its for more than 25m then I'd be OK with that. Gives us some real ammunition for webber to seek a striker and a wide player with the extra funds. Then be able to allocate the remaining current budget on a cdm, cb & lb/rb.

I dont believe cantwell is worth 25m to Norwich city. We could sign two 12.5m players and significantly improve our squad.

Something being announced later this afternoon apparently. Supposed to be good news. If I had to bet it would be contract news about Todd or Farke. 

3 minutes ago, lappinitup said:

"Aston Villa are in advanced talks to sign Norwich City attacker Todd Cantwell, Football Insider can exclusively reveal."

https://www.footballinsider247.com/aston-villa-cantwell-talks/

Villa seem greedy to sign our guys...i fully expected Aarons to go before Cantwell, but yea there has been that question mark over his not signing an extended contract so who knows...but losing Todd as well as losing Emi would be a big loss indeed, plus  putting even more pressure on the club to find a replacement, even though presumably the money gained would be  on the large side.

Just now, Yella Army said:

If its for more than 25m then I'd be OK with that. Gives us some real ammunition for webber to seek a striker and a wide player with the extra funds. Then be able to allocate the remaining current budget on a cdm, cb & lb/rb.

I dont believe cantwell is worth 25m to Norwich city. We could sign two 12.5m players and significantly improve our squad.

I personally think it would be absolutley disastrous for us to sell any more of our stare players at this juncture. We have already lost Emi. We have a player in Todd who knows how we play and was very good last time we were in the prem. I would be hugely disappointed if we sold him now and indeed if we let Villa take another of our star players. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Yella Army said:

Spot on would be a dream outcome 

3 minutes ago, Essjayess said:

Villa seem greedy to sign our guys...i fully expected Aarons to go before Cantwell, but yea there has been that question mark over his not signing an extended contract so who knows...but losing Todd as well as losing Emi would be a big loss indeed, plus  putting even more pressure on the club to find a replacement, even though presumably the money gained would be  on the large side.

This forum was up in arms about selling Emi to Villa, if they signed Todd as well we might as well pack it up and go home.

I think we should do everything we can to keep Todd but would reluctantly accept we have no choice is there is an offer over £30m and he is refusing to sign a new contract.

BUT... that is with the big proviso it is is to anybody but Villa!!!

Couldn't stand the though of that snotty, arrogant club buying both our best players off us 😞

3 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Cantwell cannot leave as he was in the kit release video.

Imagine the kids faces when theyve spent their hard earned paper round money on a Joma Cantwell 14  City jersey (prob quite a few sold and printed. by now,  Waveneyo was queing from 0430 I know)  and he follows Emi to Villa. They couldnt do that could they, very least they could do is offer to replace the jersey with another of the kids faves from the squad, wouldnt cost the club much and would be good PR.

13 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I personally think it would be absolutley disastrous for us to sell any more of our stare players at this juncture. We have already lost Emi. We have a player in Todd who knows how we play and was very good last time we were in the prem. I would be hugely disappointed if we sold him now and indeed if we let Villa take another of our star players. 

Todd and Pukki are the only 2 attacking players we know are capable at Premier League level. We can't afford to lose either of them at this stage of the season.

15 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Something being announced later this afternoon apparently. Supposed to be good news. If I had to bet it would be contract news about Todd or Farke. 

Think it's more likely to be Farke's contract. Although Todd has made noises recently about how he loves Norwich and feels so connected to us etc.

Villa surely can't do us that dirty! 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Yella Army said:

But we won’t!

While I don't really believe the rumour as 'Football Insiders' seem to get a lot more wrong than they get right. There is also an error in the report where it states Cantwell only has one year left on his deal - when it is two years due to the option Norwich hold.

On the broader theme of Todd going or staying, if he has indicated to Norwich that he does not want to extend his deal, then Norwich should be open to offers now. 

I thought Webber's comments around Todd back in May were revealing when he basically said that there wouldn't be a deal this summer, but if no one had signed him after the window had closed they would look to extend his contract. Things might have changed now Emi has gone since Webber said this. 

Todd is a great player and would be a great shame to lose him. If he was someone Norwich were signing there would be massive excitement, maybe some take him for granted now though.

• Like 1

If we lose Todd and Buendia in the same window the club are going to have to work some magic, to improve the team, have any chance of staying up and appease the fans. I will be expecting a Danjuma or Pereira as a replacement at the very least.

I was hoping Todd could step up and help fill Buendia's creative role this season, so would be concerned if we sold him. 

I can accept selling Emi to Villa. well, angrily and reluctantly accept it.

But selling Cantwell to them too? Might as well just hand them Aarons and Pukki while we are at it. What a joke, what mushrooms you been smoking Webber?

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I can accept selling Emi to Villa. well, angrily and reluctantly accept it.

But selling Cantwell to them too? Might as well just hand them Aarons and Pukki while we are at it. What a joke, what mushrooms you been smoking Webber?

Money is money is money - Villa have lots of it and are one of the few teams really spending big this summer. If there is any truth in the rumour it is probably due to Villa missing out on Smith-Rowe - who they made an offer of around £30m. If Norwich could get that for Cantwell, considering his increasingly difficult contract situation, then it doesn't matter if it is Villa or anyone else really. 

11 minutes ago, Yellow Green Army said:

If we lose Todd and Buendia in the same window the club are going to have to work some magic, to improve the team, have any chance of staying up and appease the fans. I will be expecting a Danjuma or Pereira as a replacement at the very least.

What if we sold Cantwell and bought in either one of those two as well as a new ST, I.e Armstrong or another target? I'd love the prospect of having Rashica and Danjuma as wide pacey options that have goals in their locker as well as a quality ST to compete with Pukki and Idah.

'Todd Cantwell. He bleeds Green and Yellow. He loves everything Norwch, he's one of our own, the Dereham lad a true Canary through and through for life.. Has today joined Aston Villa on a six year contract and says he can't wait to play at such a huge, massive club that's far bigger than little old Norwich. He says ever since he played in the Norwich academy and made his way through the club, every time he had to wear green he secretly dreamt of playing in Claret and blue, and has always fancied a visit to the world famous slums of Birmingham'

🤢

Edited by cambridgeshire canary
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Yella Army said:

What if we sold Cantwell and bought in either one of those two as well as a new ST, I.e Armstrong or another target? I'd love the prospect of having Rashica and Danjuma as wide pacey options that have goals in their locker as well as a quality ST to compete with Pukki and Idah.

Its all very well playing fantasy football and tagging lots of exciting names but the fact is we play in avery particular style and it takes players a while to integrate into our system. Whilst yes on the face of it Danjuma and Rachica behind Pukki is exciting there is no guarantee that it will work. We know that Todd in our team works and that he is capable of producing for us at the top level. Thats worth a lot in my book, especially at a time when we will already be trying to integrate 3 or 4 new players into the side. 

12 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

'Todd Cantwell. He bleeds Green and Yellow. He loves everything Norwch, he's one of our own, the Dereham lad a true Canary through and through for life.. Has today joined Aston Villa on a six year contract and says he can't wait to play at such a huge, massive club that's far bigger than little old Norwich. He says ever since he played in the Norwich academy and made his way through the club, every time he had to wear green he secretly dreamt of playing in Claret and blue, and has always fancied a visit to the world famous slums of Birmingham'

🤢

You forgot to mention that he loves peaky blinders 😉

51 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Todd and Pukki are the only 2 attacking players we know are capable at Premier League level. We can't afford to lose either of them at this stage of the season.

You’re usually positive! 

Hopefully we start looking at players of Pereiras standard 

Sounds like what we feared might happen last summer is happening this. If Todd does go, as does Max, then we are going to have to spend a good £50m+ bloody quickly. That'll be RB, CH, DM, AM/winger and Striker.

3 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Sounds like what we feared might happen last summer is happening this. If Todd does go, as does Max, then we are going to have to spend a good £50m+ bloody quickly. That'll be RB, CH, DM, AM/winger and Striker.

Webber right now wth all that's going on

giphy.gif

I also rate Todd's attacking skills very highly but he lacks the defensive contribution that Emi has, and that is a big weakness in the PL. If we're going to play 3 at the back or a 3 man midfield that would be less of a problem but it still concerns me. I'm hoping that Lees-Melou brings more steel to our midfield.

4 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

The other issue is the signal selling your star players sends out to prospective players..why sign for Norwich if they are having a fire sale? 

Perhaps, instead, it sends the 'signal' that if you come here and do well you'll be able to move on when the time's right to a club offering far bigger wages and the chance to play in front of far bigger attendances.

22 minutes ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

Danjuma and Pereira will not be coming here! 

Probably not but the point being, if we lose  Cantwell along with Buendia we HAVE to bring in replacements with the same ilk and quality of Danjuma/Pereira to stand any chance of staying in the premier league.

• Like 1