Alex Moss

Transfer Rumour Thread Season 2021/22

20 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Do you have a link to the rumour ta, YS72?

Not sure about the source as there's no sign of it on NewsNow this morning but I saw it on the Not606 board where it said that he could be available for around £5m. Yokuslu was at West Brom on loan for the second half of last season so has some PL experience. 

Edited by Yelloow Since 72

6 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

The EDP has developed and perfected a whole section of football journalism - the 'Not' story...🤓

Yes, it’s very quick with the ‘this is wide of the mark’ stuff, but does rather seem to have been caught very cold by two of our signings this summer. 

• Like 1

On 19/07/2021 at 09:50, king canary said:

Also the closer you get to the end of the window the clearer the picture for certain loan deals becomes.

I do wonder if longer term Adarabiyio and Fulham could fall into our laps. He's been linked with Newcastle and Arsenal but despite his reported release clause he's not moved. I get the sense he might be the 2nd or 3rd choice target for either of them so if they sign someone else we could be in pole position.

Just seen that his release clause has expired. Would imagine Fulham would want a fee similar to Guehi’s to sell him. Think it is safe to rule him out of any moves to Norwich for the foreseeable. 

Sad as Marc guehi had a fantastic season, probably too expensive for what we were looking for.

I heard last night (possibly talk sport) that Watford have had a bid rejected for billing. I wonder if we will be priced out for him. Similar to the situation which is supposedly with ajer going Brentford. I feel it's transfers like that (if they are to be believed and come true) that stress us fans out, we should be able to compete with both of those sides as newbies!

24 minutes ago, NeymarSmith said:

Sad as Marc guehi had a fantastic season, probably too expensive for what we were looking for.

I heard last night (possibly talk sport) that Watford have had a bid rejected for billing. I wonder if we will be priced out for him. Similar to the situation which is supposedly with ajer going Brentford. I feel it's transfers like that (if they are to be believed and come true) that stress us fans out, we should be able to compete with both of those sides as newbies!

I see your point but Watford have had years in the Prem and deeper pockets than us, as for Brentford I think it was the fact we weren't going to be drawn into paying more for Ajer than we thought he was worth. He could have potentially been a dud off the back of a fairly average season in the Scottish Prem which is equivalent to Champ at best. 

The Billing issue is annoying though, especially if Watford pip him, I really didn't want them to come back up as I think they'll do ok. 

58 minutes ago, Danke bitte said:

I see your point but Watford have had years in the Prem and deeper pockets than us, as for Brentford I think it was the fact we weren't going to be drawn into paying more for Ajer than we thought he was worth. He could have potentially been a dud off the back of a fairly average season in the Scottish Prem which is equivalent to Champ at best. 

The Billing issue is annoying though, especially if Watford pip him, I really didn't want them to come back up as I think they'll do ok. 

Everyone has deeper pockets than us.

Unfortunately I fear this transfer window despite the supposed COVID-depression, we've simply been priced out of our domestic targets. Even decent Championship players (Armstrong, Billing, Ajer etc) are now simply beyond what we're willing or able to pay. If another player is on another EPL club's radar (and given the reliance on data, statistics etc rather than just individual scouts) we're now at a major disadvantage, even after selling one of the best players ever to wear the Norwich shirt for a club record fee.

Unfortunately upon completion of this transfer window and the resulting season we could be witnessing the reality that a self-financing club just cannot compete at the Premier League level. We may be responsible, we may be flaying the flag as an example of responsible club ownership, but if no-one else in the league is playing the same game we are then competing at this level is an impossibility.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Unfortunately I fear this transfer window despite the supposed COVID-depression, we've simply been priced out of our domestic targets. Even decent Championship players (Armstrong, Billing, Ajer etc) are now simply beyond what we're willing or able to pay. If another player is on another EPL club's radar (and given the reliance on data, statistics etc rather than just individual scouts) we're now at a major disadvantage, even after selling one of the best players ever to wear the Norwich shirt for a club record fee.

Unfortunately upon completion of this transfer window and the resulting season we could be witnessing the reality that a self-financing club just cannot compete at the Premier League level. We may be responsible, we may be flaying the flag as an example of responsible club ownership, but if no-one else in the league is playing the same game we are then competing at this level is an impossibility.

'This season we could see that a self funding club can't compete at the top level'

Pretty sure we have known that for about a decade if not longer

7 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

This is probably why you're getting a lot of reporting from the EDP that is saying when we are not going in for players, but the bigger purchases are going under the radar. It is probably Webber's way of ensuring he's not caught in bidding wars with only a relatively small wallet.

32 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

This is simply not true. Our record over the last 10 years is better than other similarly sized clubs with different ownership models. the evidence is there, but people tend to focus on the short term. Other than getting a multi-billionaire owner, who has no interest in getting their money back, it is the most likely way that we are going to prosper in the medium and long term.

The unfortunate thing is that we may experience short-term pain, but we have tended to avoid the long-term pain that normally results from let's risk it all model, but for a club of our size, without a "squillionaire" owner, it is the only way: sorry 🙁

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Badger said:

This is simply not true. Our record over the last 10 years is better than other similarly sized clubs with different ownership models. the evidence is there, but people tend to focus on the short term. Other than getting a multi-billionaire owner, who has no interest in getting their money back, it is the most likely way that we are going to prosper in the medium and long term.

The unfortunate thing is that we may experience short-term pain, but we have tended to avoid the long-term pain that normally results from let's risk it all model, but for a club of our size, without a "squillionaire" owner, it is the only way: sorry 🙁

Agree with most of this, you only have to look at other clubs in the premier league this transfer window so far and how many have really spent anything? Especially our nearest rivals. We have a stronger squad than Watford and Brentford, and have strengthened well with more to come. Only have to look at Everton who are signing Gray for 1.5 million and Townsend on a free. Look at Palace I think they are in serious trouble with all the players they have lost. I for one am extremely pleased with the business done so far, a few more signings and I think we are going to be in a very good position. 

5 hours ago, Fuzzar said:

You'd think we'd be looking for somebody better than Okay. 

He has two brothers, Nothing Special and Overrated 🤣

• Haha 1

I'm not panicking yet, at all, and I'd suggest that most reasonable supporters shouldn't be either. Look ... deals take time! COVID + Euros makes everything more complicated. We've already done a fair bit of business with which I'm pleased. I'm giving it through the end of the month before I really start to worry. Here are the major (i.e., first team) summer incomings done by July 31st in recent past windows according to Wikipedia:

2020-2021: 4 of 8 (Sørensen, Płacheta, Mumba, Dowell); Later = Hugill, Skipp, Quintillà, Gibson

2019-2020: 4 of 5 (Drmić, Byram, Roberts, Fährmann); Later = Amadou

2018-2019: 7 of 7 (Buendía, Leitner, Marshall, Pukki, Krul, Passlack, Rhodes)

2017-2018: 7 of 10 (Vrančić, Watkins, Zimmerman, Husband, Franke, Gunn, Reed); Later = Trybull, Stiepermann, Hanley

So far this window we've done ... Rashica, Gunn, Lees-Melou, & Gilmour. That's 4 major incomings. I'd expect 2-4 more which puts us more or less on target though perhaps a bit behind schedule.

The Athletic is suggesting that we try to sign Gary Cahill..does acknowledge that his wages may not fir Webber's policy though

1 minute ago, Sean said:

The Athletic is suggesting that we try to sign Gary Cahill..does acknowledge that his wages may not fir Webber's policy though

Oh jesus isnt he about 50 now? Not the kind of signing I could see us make, nevermind his wages.

No need to panic yet. The rumour regarding Watford having a bid turned down for Billing is slightly worrying as that would almost definitely mean that we’re priced out. But there’s plenty of time to go as yet.

If it gets to the Liverpool game and we haven’t signed a striker and a CDM/strong CM, that’s the point where I’ll start to worry. Those are the 2 positions that I really feel we need to add to if we are to have any chance of staying up this season. A CB would be ideal as well, but I’m coming round to the idea that Omobamidele actually is good enough for the PL.

Edited by Hoolahoop14

13 minutes ago, Hoolahoop14 said:

No need to panic yet. The rumour regarding Watford having a bid turned down for Billing is slightly worrying as that would almost definitely mean that we’re priced out. But there’s plenty of time to go as yet.

If it gets to the Liverpool game and we haven’t signed a striker and a CDM/strong CM, that’s the point where I’ll start to worry. Those are the 2 positions that I really feel we need to add to if we are to have any chance of staying up this season. A CB would be ideal as well, but I’m coming round to the idea that Omobamidele actually is good enough for the PL.

I think there is a difference between what we need for the season as a whole and what we need for the start. For me the position that we really need to fill for the start is striker, because we are are light there. Whereas we could put out a reasonable central defence, with some cover, and ditto for the midfield. But by the end of the summer window I agree we will need at least one more central midfielder.

• Like 1

Re the CB situation we have 4 CBs and Sørensen who can also play there. Much will depend on how DF intends to play. If it's 2 at the back and 3 in midfield then that should be enough. If it's 3 at the back, that doesn't necessarily require 3 CBs as Sørensen has shown in pre-season games. Yes the PL will be a far stiffer challenge but we have also been playing without both Gibson and Hanley. Huddersfield will provide a further test, but might it be a better idea to pay around £5m for a player like Yokuslu who can play at both DM and CB and has PL experience as well with West Brom last season. That would also solve the DM problem and allow money for a quality attacking player.

44 minutes ago, Yelloow Since 72 said:

Re the CB situation we have 4 CBs and Sørensen who can also play there. Much will depend on how DF intends to play. If it's 2 at the back and 3 in midfield then that should be enough. If it's 3 at the back, that doesn't necessarily require 3 CBs as Sørensen has shown in pre-season games. Yes the PL will be a far stiffer challenge but we have also been playing without both Gibson and Hanley. Huddersfield will provide a further test, but might it be a better idea to pay around £5m for a player like Yokuslu who can play at both DM and CB and has PL experience as well with West Brom last season. That would also solve the DM problem and allow money for a quality attacking player.

I agree that football fans, like generals are always fighting their last battle. So another defender is seen as an absolute necessity because of the freak occurrence of injuries last time in the Premier League. I do not see the requirement based upon numbers, 4 central defenders should be fine (if 4 at the back. I disagree and think we definitely need more if playing 3 at back), my problem is with the quality of those 4. Gibson, I think is definitely capable at Premier League. Question marks above all of the others, Hanley was excellent last season but prior to that, I have had my doubts, Zimmerman is not as bad as people make out but again, certainly not someone you want as part of your best pairing and Andrew O looks promising but too early to tell.

We absolutely need a central defender to at least push Hanley for a starting position.

Small wonder that Billings is of interest to Farke and Webber.

I’m not totally convinced by him, but a team that could possibly line up with Pukki, Rashica, Gilmour and Aarons stands to be physically out-bullied both in attacking and defensive set-pieces. We clearly need more brawn.

Question for the knowledgeable ones (and apologies if this sounds as stupid as I think it does)

If a player agrees terms with us and really wants to come here after his club accepting an offer from us. If say, Brentford then came in and offered more, the club would accept that as no contract with us has been signed. But if the player really dislikes what he see's and hears at Brentford and is adamant he wants to come to us. Can the player force his club to sell to us, for a lower fee, if he plays hardball on personal terms with Brentford. Not sure if its a scenario that is likely to come up,  just a thought as we are seem to get out bid a lot.

13 minutes ago, OTBC06 said:

Question for the knowledgeable ones (and apologies if this sounds as stupid as I think it does)

If a player agrees terms with us and really wants to come here after his club accepting an offer from us. If say, Brentford then came in and offered more, the club would accept that as no contract with us has been signed. But if the player really dislikes what he see's and hears at Brentford and is adamant he wants to come to us. Can the player force his club to sell to us, for a lower fee, if he plays hardball on personal terms with Brentford. Not sure if its a scenario that is likely to come up,  just a thought as we are seem to get out bid a lot.

The player couldn't 'force' his club to accept the offer from, but if Aj, I mean, the player makes it clear that he wants to join us instead of Brentford it would probably leave his club with little choice. The selling club couldn't force him to join a club against his will.

11 minutes ago, OTBC06 said:

In this specific situation, he could force Celtic's hand as they would otherwise lose him for nothing next summer. 

That's also assuming no other clubs bid for him.

If he had three years remaining on his contract, then no - they'd just reject any offer that was below their valuation.

58 minutes ago, OTBC06 said:

Nobody can force a player to sign a contract against their will, but they could play "hardball" and refuse other offers, but this would risk him going on a free at the end of his contract.

In reality, my understanding is that in most situations a potential buying club has already agreed most of the details re contract etc, before they even get to the stage of negotiating with the club - why go through the effort of negotiating with the club, if a player isn't interested?/