Alex Moss

Transfer Rumour Thread Season 2021/22

2 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

I am pretty sure they (and Bailey) are getting steers on target areas for the squad, or at least picking up that kind of mood music, while being kept in the dark on specific players. They were certainly blindsided over Rashica and now Lees-Melou.

What I find interesting is that the vibes they have picked up seemed to have changed over time. The strike force was not a priority. Now it is. 

I think they have a system whereby they can ask the club to confirm or deny any transfer rumour. Obviously the club would prefer it to be kept quiet and announced on their terms. They don't have an up-to-date understanding of all the discussions that are taking place.

Whilst it is useful to get rumours confirmed or denied, the Pinkun boys do tend to give the impression that they know more than they usually do. Connor Southwell in particular is full of waffle half the time and his bs was rightly called out by DF two seasons ago.

In regards to the changing messages, I think it is dependent on a few things. Michael Bailey said in todays piece that Norwich acted quickly once they realised they could get him at such a good price. 

In addition, spending 3.5 million on Lees-Melou instead of 10m+ on Billing suddenly opens up the possibility of spending more money on a different position.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Yellow and Green said:

I think they have a system whereby they can ask the club to confirm or deny any transfer rumour. Obviously the club would prefer it to be kept quiet and announced on their terms. They don't have an up-to-date understanding of all the discussions that are taking place.

Whilst it is useful to get rumours confirmed or denied, the Pinkun boys do tend to give the impression that they know more than they usually do. Connor Southwell in particular is full of waffle half the time and his bs was rightly called out by DF two seasons ago.

In regards to the changing messages, I think it is dependent on a few things. Michael Bailey said in todays piece that Norwich acted quickly once they realised they could get him at such a good price

In addition, spending 3.5 million on Lees-Melou instead of 10m+ on Billing suddenly opens up the possibility of spending more money on a different position.

Yes, but getting Lees-Melou was not a sign of the message changing, which had always been that we were in for one and perhaps two central midfielders. The main changing messages have been about the need or otherwise for a striker and ditto for another winger. What Bailey may be indicating was why that there was no gossip about Lees-Melou specifically as one of those expected midfielders.

9 minutes ago, Yellow and Green said:

In regards to the changing messages, I think it is dependent on a few things. Michael Bailey said in todays piece that Norwich acted quickly once they realised they could get him at such a good price. 

Haha, Conor Southwell full of waffle - spot on yellow and green!

18 minutes ago, Yellow and Green said:

Let's not forget that poor ol' MB got shut out of pressers etc. when working at Archant because Lambert got annoyed with something he said/wrote. 

Journalists can't be spot on all the time and to expect so is a bit much really! They have to fill column inches with something don't they?! 

8 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

Let's not forget that poor ol' MB got shut out of pressers etc. when working at Archant because Lambert got annoyed with something he said/wrote. 

Journalists can't be spot on all the time and to expect so is a bit much really! They have to fill column inches with something don't they?! 

Was it by Lambert? He was certainly punished by McNally, for a story about possible US investment, and used one of the pink un posters as a human shield to guard against suffering even more wrath.

Edited by PurpleCanary

18 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

I think it's a case of folks getting annoyed with this speculation around the club supposedly drip feeding EDP and then them flip flopping with stories. 

Some tips are right most are wrong, but if you sit with it, in black and white, we need a new CB and a striking option bar Pukki. Those two positions are fairly obvious. 

I just find it funny how some posters on here claim to be 'in the know,' so 'in the know' in fact they know what's being told to the EDP journos. Which is next level 'in the know' supposedly. Must give their egos that little bit of a boost. 

5 minutes ago, Danke bitte said:

I think it's a case of folks getting annoyed with this speculation around the club supposedly drip feeding EDP and then them flip flopping with stories. 

Some tips are right most are wrong, but if you sit with it, in black and white, we need a new CB and a striking option bar Pukki. Those two positions are fairly obvious. 

I just find it funny how some posters on here claim to be 'in the know,' so 'in the know' in fact they know what's being told to the EDP journos. Which is next level 'in the know' supposedly. Must give their egos that little bit of a boost. 

I think one of them who is reasonably accurate is our good pal Beth. And if I am not mistaken he also works in the industry. 

I don't know what the point is in getting annoyed about transfer rumours not materialising. We don't live in a perfect world. Many of the stories will be nonsense but there's occasionally a glimmer of truth.

The Twitter ITK guy/gal (sexy Bennett) is usually pretty bang on. Even they thought that Webber was feeding the Pink Un journos little bits of info. Could be that he's simply trying to throw everyone off the scent. Our transfer dealings since he's been here have never really been that much out in the open. The reason the Gilmour stuff came out is likely because they felt the fans needed something to cling on to during silly season! 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Was it by Lambert? He was certainly punished by McNally, for a story about possible US investment, and used one of the pink un posters as a human shield to guard against suffering even more wrath.

I can't remember for certain but I was working there (Archant) then and, well, I suppose i could ask Michael to remind me as he's married to my cousin! 

Pretty sure Lambert pushed him out but McNally probs did too at one point 

Edited by BobLoz3
  • Like 1

I mean, we don't really need the pinkun or any other journo's to tell us the areas of the squad that the club are looking to reinforce. They are pretty obvious, and we can somewhat go on what Farke said last summer too about the qualities he felt we lacked in the premier league campaign.

CB, CDM, Str - are the clear obvious ones. Just a glance at our squad would tell most people that.

Winger perhaps isn't that surprising. Arguably Rashica, Hernandez and Placheta are the only natural wide men we have - though Rashica can also play more central (Hernandez and Placheta have also been used like that for us but we digress). Cantwell and Dowell supposedly prefer the No.10 role. And are more direct. So another wide option isn't that much of a stretch either. And as gutted as I would be, Hernandez going isn't as unthinkable as it would have been a year ago, not after the departures we have seen and the sense that they really are not dwelling on any form of sentiment.

• Thanks 1

Double post - apologies.

Bushiri - not on the canaries.co.uk squad listing at all. Akin Famewo is... probably reading too much into that but just seemed a little odd.

Edit: listed in the U23's, so ignore me.

Edited by chicken

1 hour ago, PurpleCanary said:

Yes, but getting Lees-Melou was not a sign of the message changing, which had always been that we were in for one and perhaps two central midfielders. The main changing messages have been about the need or otherwise for a striker and ditto for another winger. What Bailey may be indicating was why that there was no gossip about Lees-Melou specifically as one of those expected midfielders.

But it may change it when you consider the budgets. With a limited budget, we will have to prioritise which position we need to strengthen most. For a while, the targets seemed to be:

Ajer - 10m

Billing - 10m

Skipp - loan

Armstrong - 15m but can't afford

Now, the message has changed to:

Omobamidele has come back in great shape

Lees Melou - 3.5m

Spurs want Skipp so another dcm needed

Winger

Striker

The focus on the budget is no longer focused on cb and cm, therefore the message has changed too.

That is all very fag packet maths but I think it shows how and why it may change.

1 hour ago, BobLoz3 said:

I really don't expect them to be right all the time but I don't expect any misplaced arrogance.

Dave Freezer is much more honest in his approach and is more humble in the way that he responds to questions. He's more likely to admit that he doesn't know but gives his best answer. CS confirms that there are plates spinning and it's a fluid situation.

• Like 1

SexyBennett on twitter says a lot of work is being done to get Billing over the line. Interesting - maybe they do see him as the sitting deep/enforcer type?

2 hours ago, Yellow and Green said:

I have a theory that Webber/the club are leaking the targets that we've already moved on from, for whatever reason, directly to the pinkun. So the rumours are genuine, but all essentially out of date by the time we're reading them. Mutually beneficial; fans get to see that we're busy in the market and nothing generates clicks for Archant like transfer tattle.

When we're actually signing someone we don't tend to find out until it's done.

13 minutes ago, Yellow and Green said:

But it may change it when you consider the budgets. With a limited budget, we will have to prioritise which position we need to strengthen most. For a while, the targets seemed to be:

Ajer - 10m

Billing - 10m

Skipp - loan

Armstrong - 15m but can't afford

Now, the message has changed to:

Omobamidele has come back in great shape

Lees Melou - 3.5m

Spurs want Skipp so another dcm needed

Winger

Striker

The focus on the budget is no longer focused on cb and cm, therefore the message has changed too.

That is all very fag packet maths but I think it shows how and why it may change.

It is certainly true, as you said, that if, for example, we were thinking about spending £10m on Billing as an attacking central midfielder, and have instead got Lees-Melou for well under half that, then that may free up money for the other targets. In particular it might help with the striker, since they tend to be the most expensive.

But as far as I can tell we haven't started targeting a striker only now, and because we saved money on the attacking  central midfielder. The signs are that we started targeting a striker because Webber and Farke seemed to decide to make that more of a priority than before, and this was when we were still eyeing up a £10m Billing.

30 minutes ago, Yellow and Green said:

Considering how much smoking has reduced, it's a wonder there are enough fanpackets left to do maths on these days.

Edited by Nuff Said
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

It is certainly true, as you said, that if, for example, we were thinking about spending £10m on Billing as an attacking central midfielder, and have instead got Lees-Melou for well under half that, then that may free up money for the other targets. In particular it might help with the striker, since they tend to be the most expensive.

But as far as I can tell we haven't started targeting a striker only now, and because we saved money on the attacking  central midfielder. The signs are that we started targeting a striker because Webber and Farke seemed to decide to make that more of a priority than before, and this was when we were still eyeing up a £10m Billing.

Perhaps it's that they now know another player is leaving for a significant sum and that has therefore increased the number of positions we are looking to strengthen...

1 minute ago, Krul Mistress said:

I have a theory that Webber/the club are leaking the targets that we've already moved on from, for whatever reason, directly to the pinkun. So the rumours are genuine, but all essentially out of date by the time we're reading them. Mutually beneficial; fans get to see that we're busy in the market and nothing generates clicks for Archant like transfer tattle.

When we're actually signing someone we don't tend to find out until it's done.

An interesting thought but, as with the Lees-Melou case, the rumour appeared and the Pinkun journos were asked about it in the q and a. They said they hadn't heard of anything but would keep their ears to the ground. Towards the end of the q and a, they confirmed that the rumours were true.

It's been that pattern for all of the other rumours.

Having said that, I have previously wondered whether leaked stories were being released by ncfc before. I can't remember when exactly (possibly the Buendia transfer) but it can work in our favour too.

2 minutes ago, Krul Mistress said:

Perhaps it's that they now know another player is leaving for a significant sum and that has therefore increased the number of positions we are looking to strengthen...

Or possibly because Pukki came back with a worrying injury from the Euros?

Just now, Krul Mistress said:

That could be (Aarons the obvious candidate) and might explain why a winger is seemingly on the list too, when we seem reasonably well stocked with Rashica's arrival. But the sense I get is that there was actually a bit of a change of heart over whether we needed another striker. The line for a long time that the pink un journalists appeared to be getting was that we didn't, and then it altered significantly a week or two back.

2 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

First and foremost good afternoon to you Hoggy. Are you happy with our business so far and would you agree there should still be plenty of funds left? 

Afternoon!

I'm fairly happy with what we've done so far. I think there's a fair argument to say it might have been worth paying approx double for Billing over Lees-Melou, as at least Billing has some Prem experience. Having not seen Melou play, i'd have gone for Billing (who i'm not a massive fan of actually). Which decision is right will only be known as the season progresses of course.

I'd like to think we still have a bit of money to spend and if we have targets of appropriate value I suspect we might have another £20 million or so to spend inclusive of all the additionals @Bethnal Yellow and Green mentioned.

43 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Or possibly because Pukki came back with a worrying injury from the Euros?

You took the words out of my keyboard. I do wonder if he's still not right.

The talk of Billing still being in play and the increased chatter about a striker does make me wonder if we think we might be able to get a central defender in on loan thus redirecting some of the cash we'd be spending there? Massive speculation though.

If the Hugill chat to Forest is real, I wonder whether we might explore an option of a player exchange plus cash for someone like Joe Worrall

12 minutes ago, Norfolk Mustard said:

Facing Liverpool without Pukki doesn't sound an attractive proposition! Maybe Rashica has been recruited to deputise?

Facing pretty much every team outside the bottom five or so in the Prem for us is scary. Every match will be a cup final for us.

Survival is the main goal.

If Billing is still in play, he's not the ball-winning CDM we all think we need. Intriguing.

50 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

You took the words out of my keyboard. I do wonder if he's still not right.

Wasn't that a Meatloaf song?

Edited by Nuff Said