Jump to content
Alex Moss

Transfer Rumour Thread Season 2021/22

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, OTBC06 said:

Isn't there a Swiss fella in Crotia thats supposed to be good? 🤔😆

Mario Gavranovic? Can’t think of any others 🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brandon Williams close to signing for Southampton on a season long loan. That rules that one out for us, although now we have Gilmour occupying one of our Prem loan spots I didn’t expect to see Williams coming in given our likely ongoing pursuit of Skipp.

 

I do still think another RB is needed, even if Aarons stays (which I think he will). Whilst I was impressed with Bali Mumba last season, a season out on loan to a Championship/League 1 side where he plays week in week out would be massive for him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Hoolahoop14 said:

Brandon Williams close to signing for Southampton on a season long loan. That rules that one out for us, although now we have Gilmour occupying one of our Prem loan spots I didn’t expect to see Williams coming in given our likely ongoing pursuit of Skipp.

 

I do still think another RB is needed, even if Aarons stays (which I think he will). Whilst I was impressed with Bali Mumba last season, a season out on loan to a Championship/League 1 side where he plays week in week out would be massive for him.

Just remembered we still have Sam Byram... ignore me, we’re good for RB’s. 

Edited by Hoolahoop14

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Hoolahoop14 said:

Brandon Williams close to signing for Southampton on a season long loan. That rules that one out for us, although now we have Gilmour occupying one of our Prem loan spots I didn’t expect to see Williams coming in given our likely ongoing pursuit of Skipp.

 

I do still think another RB is needed, even if Aarons stays (which I think he will). Whilst I was impressed with Bali Mumba last season, a season out on loan to a Championship/League 1 side where he plays week in week out would be massive for him.

Guess it depends how much they think they can rely on Byram's fitness

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reiss Nelson is said to be one that Arsenal are willing to let go. 

I'm not sure if we're in for him but his wages are rumoured to be £15k per week and a transfer fee under £10m.

I realize that having mooted the Origi transfer some weeks ago and the mayhem that caused even though it was rightly shot down at the time given that it took Bethnal only about 5 minutes to find that the source was a Liverpool fan's twitter account which itself was a rehash of a newspaper article from 2015.

Let's have some more fun.

The real rumour is that Arsenal are willing to let him go as for his destination that is strictly speaking an unknown but....

Reiss Nelson to Carrow Road discuss.......lights touch paper.....retires 25 meters.......I quite like him as a player.... one for us?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Bonzo said:

Reiss Nelson is said to be one that Arsenal are willing to let go. 

I'm not sure if we're in for him but his wages are rumoured to be £15k per week and a transfer fee under £10m.

I realize that having mooted the Origi transfer some weeks ago and the mayhem that caused even though it was rightly shot down at the time given that it took Bethnal only about 5 minutes to find that the source was a Liverpool fan's twitter account which itself was a rehash of a newspaper article from 2015.

Let's have some more fun.

The real rumour is that Arsenal are willing to let him go as for his destination that is strictly speaking an unknown but....

Reiss Nelson to Carrow Road discuss.......lights touch paper.....retires 25 meters.......I quite like him as a player.... one for us?

The feeling I get is that if we sign players at this point, if they are going to cost over £5m they will have to be close to or guaranteed to push one of our current regulars out of the side.

As things stand I would say on paper, our first choice line up probably looks something like this.

GK: Krul
RB: Aarons
CB: Hanley, Gibson
LB: Giannoulis
DM: Gilmour
DM: McLean
WM: Cantwell, Rashica
AM: Dowell
STR: Pukki

Would Nelson dislodge any of those players? Could be that Cantwell plays the No.10/AM role and Nelson edges Dowell out for a place out wide?

I couldn't see us dropping £5-10m on an out and out winger at this point. We'd need to lose Hernandez and loan out Placheta.

We also know that the club is on the look out for a striker who can play wing as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Ajer replacement talk is increasing.... 

 

 

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2021/07/06/report-celtic-talking-to-3-cap-international-about-personal-terms-bid-to-be-submitted-soon/

 

Yeah, just saw this. Seems they are all set to buy a new centreback, and just as we seem to have made a larger bid for Ajer.. Interestng

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Ajer replacement talk is increasing.... 

 

 

According to Wiki he’s already signed 🤣

AF204C90-6156-40A8-AF72-71A7D601BE68.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2021/07/06/report-celtic-talking-to-3-cap-international-about-personal-terms-bid-to-be-submitted-soon/

 

Yeah, just saw this. Seems they are all set to buy a new centreback, and just as we seem to have made a larger bid for Ajer.. Interestng

PinkUn have said that Norwich haven’t made a new bid, but the existing one remains on the table. 

Celtic have known Ajer is leaving since last January so not a surprise they are looking at centrebacks. The biggest game of their season is this month so they don’t have time to mess around. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, chicken said:

He scored fairly often until he broke his toe... 

It’s literally crazy (and exasperating) how many times this has to be said on a Norwich City supporters board, Chicken!

Paddy Davitt has said in his column today - ‘Do not rule out another forward arriving to compete with Pukki. One capable perhaps of actually challenging the Finn for his crown.’ Which I found interesting. He is quite clearly on about Divock Origi then 😉😂

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

It’s literally crazy (and exasperating) how many times this has to be said on a Norwich City supporters board, Chicken!

Paddy Davitt has said in his column today - ‘Do not rule out another forward arriving to compete with Pukki. One capable perhaps of actually challenging the Finn for his crown.’ Which I found interesting. He is quite clearly on about Divock Origi then 😉😂

Leaving aside the Origi jibe,😂 it is only one comment but it is quite a shift from what Davitt and Freezer have been saying until now, which was that they understood there were no great plans, given the arrival of Rashica, to add a striker. And certainly not a direct challenger to Pukki. More on the lines, if  it happened, of adding to squad depth and cover.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Leaving aside the Origi jibe,😂 it is only one comment but it is quite a shift from what Davitt and Freezer have been saying until now, which was that they understood there were no great plans, given the arrival of Rashica, to add a striker. And certainly not a direct challenger to Pukki. More on the lines, if  it happened, of adding to squad depth and cover.

Ha ha just having a bit of fun, Purple me old mucker 😂. But yep, that’s exactly what I thought - it is a shift in thought to what they were previously reporting. Whether somethings afoot I obviously have no idea, but it is interesting Paddy mentioned about not any old striker but one that could genuinely challenge Pukki - I found that line quite intriguing. I wonder if he now knows something on that front that we obviously don’t? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Ha ha just having a bit of fun, Purple me old mucker 😂. But yep, that’s exactly what I thought - it is a shift in thought to what they were previously reporting. Whether somethings afoot I obviously have no idea, but it is interesting Paddy mentioned about not any old striker but one that could genuinely challenge Pukki - I found that line quite intriguing. I wonder if he now knows something on that front that we obviously don’t? 

Davitt and Freezer are obviously getting very clear negative steers on specific players we are erroneously linked with, and have had steers on areas in the squad that are being targeted, and on some specific players. As to this latest comment, it is that old prediction standby - a double negative. 'Do not rule out.'🤓 Let's see if it gets repeated.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Purple and Alex - with you both on this, though the bit that really has intrigued me is that its to compete with Pukki. Previously we'd heard that it was a striker that can also play on the wing. Now this may still be the case, but that had lead a number of people to believe that Rashica was that player.

However, the emphasis, which some had picked up on, was really on the striker element. I suspect a bit like Idah is played in one of the wider attacking positions more often than not. With Rashica being quite direct as well, this could mean having options in those positions. Perhaps when chasing games to even go 4-2-1-3 or 4-3-3.

Where the focus by many has been on playing three at the back, it might be across the middle. Perhaps that makes more sense with Ajer being brought into the equation too if he can play the DM. Getting a bit ahead of myself now but:image.png.838d59df74f5cf4addd88753a1d13ec7.png

People tend to say that lacks width but I think if it is deployed flexibly, much like our current 4-2-3-1, it actually has a lot of width built in.

When you have the ball, the full backs push on, Ajer drops to form a 3 at the back. So essentially a 3-4-2-1. When we need to tighten up, to win back possession etc, Rashica and Cantwell can drop back forming a 4-5-1.

Like I say, this isn't drastically different to our current formation as typically what happens when we have the ball is one of the DM/HM sticks in place, forms a screen in front of the two CB's and at least one of the full backs pushes on to offer width. If nothing else, you can see with the personnel we are being linked with, how it can offer more diversity in our set up.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Bonzo said:

Reiss Nelson is said to be one that Arsenal are willing to let go. 

I'm not sure if we're in for him but his wages are rumoured to be £15k per week and a transfer fee under £10m.

I realize that having mooted the Origi transfer some weeks ago and the mayhem that caused even though it was rightly shot down at the time given that it took Bethnal only about 5 minutes to find that the source was a Liverpool fan's twitter account which itself was a rehash of a newspaper article from 2015.

Let's have some more fun.

The real rumour is that Arsenal are willing to let him go as for his destination that is strictly speaking an unknown but....

Reiss Nelson to Carrow Road discuss.......lights touch paper.....retires 25 meters.......I quite like him as a player.... one for us?

if we have a spare loan slot nearer deadline day then a David Bentley esque punt would be worth a shout on loan. Nelson is fairly versatile in the attacking positions as well so would add solid depth and exactly the sort of player we should be looking at. Many similarities to Rashica in that he was highly rated in his early 20s and has gone off the radar in the last year or 2 so needs to find his way again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, chicken said:

Purple and Alex - with you both on this, though the bit that really has intrigued me is that its to compete with Pukki. Previously we'd heard that it was a striker that can also play on the wing. Now this may still be the case, but that had lead a number of people to believe that Rashica was that player.

However, the emphasis, which some had picked up on, was really on the striker element. I suspect a bit like Idah is played in one of the wider attacking positions more often than not. With Rashica being quite direct as well, this could mean having options in those positions. Perhaps when chasing games to even go 4-2-1-3 or 4-3-3.

Where the focus by many has been on playing three at the back, it might be across the middle. Perhaps that makes more sense with Ajer being brought into the equation too if he can play the DM. Getting a bit ahead of myself now but:image.png.838d59df74f5cf4addd88753a1d13ec7.png

People tend to say that lacks width but I think if it is deployed flexibly, much like our current 4-2-3-1, it actually has a lot of width built in.

When you have the ball, the full backs push on, Ajer drops to form a 3 at the back. So essentially a 3-4-2-1. When we need to tighten up, to win back possession etc, Rashica and Cantwell can drop back forming a 4-5-1.

Like I say, this isn't drastically different to our current formation as typically what happens when we have the ball is one of the DM/HM sticks in place, forms a screen in front of the two CB's and at least one of the full backs pushes on to offer width. If nothing else, you can see with the personnel we are being linked with, how it can offer more diversity in our set up.

Good post, Chicken 👍

The very fact that the Pink’un have confirmed for some time now that Adam Armstrong is someone we hold interest in, should give us all the strongest possible hint that we certainly are looking for another striker this window. There is some debate about that on here whether Rashica was that player, but I’m very much in the camp that believe that is not the case - we’d trimmed the squad of too many midfielders not to additionally improve that section of the squad this window. 

I’m going to guess that we will sign Ajer and Billing. I think Max goes and then this requires another RB to come in - Byram is bloody awesome but we just don’t know whether he will stay fit unfortunately, and Mumba’s barely played at Championship level let alone the Premier League so we won’t gamble on that. I would then guess that the additional money from Max pays for the replacement plus an actual striker (albeit a versatile frontman, but an actual striker all the same). If Max doesn’t go, I still think we’ll find some money for a striker. I think Webber’s going to surprise us and spend a little bit more money come August than what I think most of us were expecting this summer myself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Although I have no reason to dislike the guy whatsoever and he’s obviously talented, after the last 2 seasons I would be seriously concerned if we went into the season with Byram as Max’s replacement (assuming he goes) and Mumba as backup. Byram’s fitness is totally untested, mentally he might not be recovered, he’ll be miles from match ready etc. I hope I’m wrong but the last player we had with his record was Jarvis and we all know how that turned out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Although I have no reason to dislike the guy whatsoever and he’s obviously talented, after the last 2 seasons I would be seriously concerned if we went into the season with Byram as Max’s replacement (assuming he goes) and Mumba as backup. Byram’s fitness is totally untested, mentally he might not be recovered, he’ll be miles from match ready etc. I hope I’m wrong but the last player we had with his record was Jarvis and we all know how that turned out.

I think the Jarvis thing will stick in a lot of people’s minds, CW, so totally hear you. But we must remember that it’s a different player with a different body - some players come back from long term layoffs, and some don’t. Things have moved on in all aspects at Colney since Matt Jarvis got injured here so that can’t be a bad thing. And the word is that Byram has actually been fit since the latter end of last season but we were in no rush to push him when it was deemed unnecessary. I believe he will be here come August 14th regardless of whether Max stays or goes. And if Max goes then we’ll almost certainly sign a RB replacement so I wouldn’t worry too much. Let’s hope Sam is over the injury and our patience and cotton wool approach with him has paid off, because as far as I’m concerned had he have played the full Premier League season he might just have won our Player Of The Season award - he was absolutely immense and every inch the quality full back!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

I think the Jarvis thing will stick in a lot of people’s minds, CW, so totally hear you. But we must remember that it’s a different player with a different body - some players come back from long term layoffs, and some don’t. Things have moved on in all aspects at Colney since Matt Jarvis got injured here so that can’t be a bad thing. And the word is that Byram has actually been fit since the latter end of last season but we were in no rush to push him when it was deemed unnecessary. I believe he will be here come August 14th regardless of whether Max stays or goes. And if Max goes then we’ll almost certainly sign a RB replacement so I wouldn’t worry too much. Let’s hope Sam is over the injury and our patience and cotton wool approach with him has paid off, because as far as I’m concerned had he have played the full Premier League season he might just have won our Player Of The Season award - he was absolutely immense and every inch the quality full back!

Alex, great point regarding Byram being standout that premier league season. If we have managed his return to fitness then it will be like a new signing.

Personally I have though Billings looks a decent player with energy, strength and Premier league bite whenever I have seen him play.

It's about improving not only the starting 11 but options from the bench. Last season we had rupp, placheta, Hernandez, vrancic, Idah, hugill etc. So it will be good to bring in the DM, second ST, centre half.

Looking forward to the business continuing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would have thought that players like Nelson and Origi would expect to play if they came to Norwich but they both play in positions where we already have strong players in place. 

As for Byram, if he truly is fit he would effectively be the signing of the summer. That's a big 'if' though 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I would have thought that players like Nelson and Origi would expect to play if they came to Norwich but they both play in positions where we already have strong players in place. 

As for Byram, if he truly is fit he would effectively be the signing of the summer. That's a big 'if' though 

Vaughan, Thompson, Jarvis, Byram.

It seems to be a trend, but I suppose most clubs get the same.

We never used  to though. I can't recall such a procession of 'sick notes' ever before.

Bryan Thurlow, David Stringer, Duncan Forbes clocked up a million appearanes for City between them. I can't recall any of them being out injured for long, despite crunchier times.

The finely honed thoroughbreds of today seem to get injured pouring a cup of tea.

I remember years ago we signed a player from West Brom Gary (?) Howsall who we had high hopes of. He hardly played because of injury.

By a quirk of fate I found myself talking to the Baggies doctor (yes it was doctors in those days,) at a party in Basildon.

I mentioned Howsall. He (obviously) didn't commit much except for saying that he was a player who made the most of his injuries.

Food for thought.

P.S, Gerry Howshall.

Edited by BroadstairsR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

We never used  to though. I can't recall such a procession of 'sick notes' ever before.

Bryan Thurlow, David Stringer, Duncan Forbes clocked up a million appearanes for City between them. I can't recall any of them being out injured for long, despite crunchier times.

The finely honed thoroghbreds of today seem to get injured pouring a cup of tea.

The game wasn't played at this level or pace before though Broady.

Your point about thoroughbreds is the key one for me, we're pushing athletes (including footballers) to the very limit of physical ability, and the more you push the boundaries, the more likely injuries will occur.

Back then you had players who might have been getting hammered in the pub the night before a match whilst smoking 40+ fags, now it's all early nights, wheatgrass smoothies and cryo chambers!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, you have nailed it.

I played donkeys years pub football standard+ and never got hurt once apart from one or two bruises. The after match pint was an equal attraction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We also have a manager/coach who tends to push players to their physical limits as well. That’s good in the sense it gives us a fitness advantage at times but probably can backfire a bit if you have players susceptible to injuries. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I would have thought that players like Nelson and Origi would expect to play if they came to Norwich but they both play in positions where we already have strong players in place. 

As for Byram, if he truly is fit he would effectively be the signing of the summer. That's a big 'if' though 

I like that, Dylan, signing of the summer. Let’s hope so because it was plainly obvious there was a player who should not have been playing in a side battling relegation - and I think it put Jamal Lewis’s nose out of joint too as he must have thought the LB spot was his own and as safe as you like. It would be like another top quality signing for us for sure!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Byram is:

1. fully fit, and
2. back to anything close to his best, and
3. (unlikely, but) healed to the point where he's not likely to re-injure something

then Aarons can go IMO. Byram's the better defensive player by some way. Aarons is a more modern full-back, but considering we've got Mr Greek No Brakes on the left I'd argue that coming up a league, there's definitely room for a more traditional full back. That said, Byram's definitely shown a knack for getting onto things in opposition penalty areas, just can't finish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

I think the Jarvis thing will stick in a lot of people’s minds, CW, so totally hear you. But we must remember that it’s a different player with a different body - some players come back from long term layoffs, and some don’t. Things have moved on in all aspects at Colney since Matt Jarvis got injured here so that can’t be a bad thing. And the word is that Byram has actually been fit since the latter end of last season but we were in no rush to push him when it was deemed unnecessary. I believe he will be here come August 14th regardless of whether Max stays or goes. And if Max goes then we’ll almost certainly sign a RB replacement so I wouldn’t worry too much. Let’s hope Sam is over the injury and our patience and cotton wool approach with him has paid off, because as far as I’m concerned had he have played the full Premier League season he might just have won our Player Of The Season award - he was absolutely immense and every inch the quality full back!

I think at this point Byram is almost ini a worse position than Jarvis. Looking at his injury history he's basically missed a significant number of games every season since 16/17 due to injury. Even if he can battle back you have no guarantee it'll last beyond a few weeks and you have to wonder if he'd be close to the same player we saw here previously. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Byram will never play for us again, even if he gets fit somehow he's been out far too long to be Premier league fit. I think he'll be released sometime before the end of the window and end up at a League 1 club. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...