Alex Moss

Transfer Rumour Thread Season 2021/22

4 minutes ago, Badger said:

Whilst I would like to sign another defensively minded midfielder, I think that this is a bit over the top.

With nobody at the club capable of winning the ball in midfield, we will be systematically carved open week in week out. 

We couldnt have functioned without one last season in a league we won with 97 pts. To think we can get by without one in this league is suicide.

...its that critical

10 minutes ago, chicken said:

Farke has said two players for each MF position too. Might be that they decide next summer on Placheta/Hernandez in terms of permanent deals.

Yep, looks like we're getting there. I guess the plan is:

Krul/Gunn

Aarons/Mumba

Hanley/Omobamidele

Gibson/SIGNING

Giannoulis/Williams

Lees-Melou/Rupp

Gilmour/Sorensen

McLean/SIGNING

Cantwell/Dowell

Rashica/Tzolis

Pukki/Sargent

McGovern, Zimmermann, Byram and Idah would then be kept as extras, I imagine, and Hernandez and Placheta would be surplus.

2 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Yep, looks like we're getting there. I guess the plan is:

Krul/Gunn

Aarons/Mumba

Hanley/Omobamidele

Gibson/SIGNING

Giannoulis/Williams

Lees-Melou/Rupp

Gilmour/Sorensen

McLean/SIGNING

Cantwell/Dowell

Rashica/Tzolis

Pukki/Sargent

McGovern, Zimmermann, Byram and Idah would then be kept as extras, I imagine, and Hernandez and Placheta would be surplus.

Yup, if you take two for every position, that takes you to 22 and three spaces spare. Usually these are used down the spine - GK, CB and STR. Due to the PL rules for squads, Aarons, Omobamidele, Mumba and Idah don't have to be named.

One signing (cb, cdm, etc) will not relegate us. The squad as whole will sink or swim. Personally quite happy with business so far. Yes I think Sorenson should be given a go, but, in farke I trust (ish) lol. Glad McLean is back. If we sign anyone or not can we get behind the team and enjoy this season! Only two games in and so much despair!! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chicken said:

Yup, if you take two for every position, that takes you to 22 and three spaces spare. Usually these are used down the spine - GK, CB and STR. Due to the PL rules for squads, Aarons, Omobamidele, Mumba and Idah don't have to be named.

Also Tzolis, Gilmour & Williams don’t have to be named

2 minutes ago, RugbyCanary said:

One signing (cb, cdm, etc) will not relegate us. The squad as whole will sink or swim. Personally quite happy with business so far. Yes I think Sorenson should be given a go, but, in farke I trust (ish) lol. Glad McLean is back. If we sign anyone or not can we get behind the team and enjoy this season! Only two games in and so much despair!! 

Not having a decent defender can relegate you...not having a striker who can put the ball in the net can relegate you, even not having a decent keeper can have a crucial impact ('94/95 post Gunn injury)...so yes, having nobody at the club to stem the oppositions midfield and win the ball back can have an equally serious impact

5 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Not having a decent defender can relegate you...not having a striker who can put the ball in the net can relegate you, even not having a decent keeper can have a crucial impact ('94/95 post Gunn injury)...so yes, having nobody at the club to stem the oppositions midfield and win the ball back can have an equally serious impact

I seem to remember Shef Utd stayed up without a decent striker. Also, without a standout CB either.

When we stayed up under Lambert we had Holt - but we also didn't have that great a quality at CB or DM. In fact we often played with Fox at the base.

We are two games into a season, two games against the two top sides in this country at the time of playing, possibly even Europe / the world. That after an incredibly disrupted pre-season.

If you want to relegate us already, go for it. I hear there is a team that has just signed Ronaldo, maybe they'd be a better fit for you?

13 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

With nobody at the club capable of winning the ball in midfield, we will be systematically carved open week in week out. 

We couldnt have functioned without one last season in a league we won with 97 pts. To think we can get by without one in this league is suicide.

...its that critical

PLM had one of the highest successful tackle rates in France last season for Nice and McLean really improved on this last season as well as he played a more defensive role - he made and won more tackles that Skipp for example. 

The system change means the defensive roles are spread across all the midfielders.

While Norwich need one more in that area as the first backup is Rupp, who is a good passer and intelligent player, but doesn’t have the legs to motor up and down the pitch at great speed. 

Players like Normann and Billing have been targeted as they can go box-to-box - not just defend. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

...its that critical

Sound of nail being hit squarely on the head............

11 minutes ago, chicken said:

I seem to remember Shef Utd stayed up without a decent striker. Also, without a standout CB either.

When we stayed up under Lambert we had Holt - but we also didn't have that great a quality at CB or DM. In fact we often played with Fox at the base.

We are two games into a season, two games against the two top sides in this country at the time of playing, possibly even Europe / the world. That after an incredibly disrupted pre-season.

If you want to relegate us already, go for it. I hear there is a team that has just signed Ronaldo, maybe they'd be a better fit for you?

Sheff Utd stayed up because of their whole defensive unit

18 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

I get it, honestly. But so much doom and gloom. One signing will not win us the league or relegate us. Yes a better caliber player will help and get us points (points make prizes! 😉) But if we were to get kante (in dreams). If the rest o the squad wasn't good enough we would still go down. Or if he's not played in the team rite. So many variables. I just want to do enjoy this season and hope we can get a decent result today. *And my fantasy team does well* 😂😉

18 minutes ago, chicken said:

Farke has said two players for each MF position too. Might be that they decide next summer on Placheta/Hernandez in terms of permanent deals.

I feel a little for Onel, clearly has his heart and head in the right place and until Rashica and Tzolis, remained to be our best out and out winger and pretty much the only player that possessed that "power" and "pace". On his day he can turn a game, doesn't mind getting stuck in and brings an energy to the side. As Farke said when he arrived, if he scored more goals he'd be playing for Barcelona. His final ball and finishing is the only thing that has stopped him from being in contention for this level really.

He's popular behind the scenes, even with Farke, so I hope the squad still has enough characters with that positivity to help carry them over the line.

I was thinking the same thing. With Hernández and Hugill gone, who are those characters Farke has said are needed in the dressing room? McGovern was one but does he travel with the squad now? Kenny is clearly a bit of a joker but is there anyone else?

2 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

I was thinking the same thing. With Hernández and Hugill gone, who are those characters Farke has said are needed in the dressing room? McGovern was one but does he travel with the squad now? Kenny is clearly a bit of a joker but is there anyone else?

I would say Kenny is more than a joker from what I have seen, Hanley, Gibson, Krul.

10 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

😂

So we'll get relegated because we didn't sign one player but they stayed up because they worked together... Right.

Nothing to see here on this one folks... 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Take a look at their current league position.

17 minutes ago, chicken said:

😂

So we'll get relegated because we didn't sign one player but they stayed up because they worked together... Right.

Nothing to see here on this one folks... 

You said they didnt have an outstanding defender....they had 3 , that worked together as a unit?

Just feel we need more steel in the centre midfield. Last time we were in the Premier League, we were out-muscled against a lot of teams that we should have been picking up points from. Think Lees-Melou is a good addition but not convinced Gilmour, McLean or Rupp are physical enough.

The certainty with which people speak on here is incredible. We could sign two players who everyone thinks is perfect and come rock bottom, we could sign nobody and come 10th. I'm sure I have been guilty of it as well and I'm happy to be called a hypocrite but it's become a weird obsession now.

I will be more confident with two extra signings, but sport is not perfectly predictable so can we cut it with the whole "if we don't do X we are being relegated" rubbish.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

You said they didnt have an outstanding defender....they had 3 , that worked together as a unit?

I am with you GJL, I am a far from negative poster but I do feel we need a recognised CDM to break up play and give the likes of Gilmour more freedom/licence to concentrate on the creative side of their game. I am not convinced we will stay up without a bit more steel in the centre of the park, not getting negative or anti club about it, just my opinion, for what it is worth.............

2 minutes ago, Kanadyan Kanary said:

Just feel we need more steel in the centre midfield. Last time we were in the Premier League, we were out-muscled against a lot of teams that we should have been picking up points from. Think Lees-Melou is a good addition but not convinced Gilmour, McLean or Rupp are physical enough.

We're fine...there are some (one) on this thread that Gilmour is of the same physique as Skipp.

7 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

I think we'll find out today just how good our midfield is tbh.

Ndidi and Tielemans could really dominate if we persist without a DM!

25 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Did they?

Hanley and Gibson are crap then?

13 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

We're fine...there are some (one) on this thread that Gilmour is of the same physique as Skipp.

There are some (one) on this thread who think Shef Utd had three "outstanding" defenders but that we don't have any... 

That same person has claimed we'll be relegated no matter what if we don't sign a DM. That would be you GJL. Give it a rest buddy, sensationalist defeatism is not a great look.

6 minutes ago, chicken said:

Did they?

Hanley and Gibson are crap then?

The argument isnt whether Hanley and Gibson are good defenders or not....its whether Sheff Utd's were 2 seasons ago..which they were? 

Keep up...buddy

Edited by GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

Looks like it’s gonna be a window when we are glued to SSN and other media outlets on Tuesday looking to see if we are going to be busy. Don’t think that’s happened since McNally. 

4 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

The argument isnt whether Hanley and Gibson are good defenders or not....its whether Sheff Utd's were 2 seasons ago..which they were? 

Keep up...buddy

It's you that needs to keep up. I am answering your claims that we are relegated without adding a single player either in defence or DM.

I just asked you a simple question about Shef Utd. Your answer is that they had three outstanding centre halves who played well as a unit. Half of that response is correct, the other less so.

Think we can safely say Webber's doing everything he can and then some to make sure Farke's got weaponry this time. 

1 hour ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

PLM had one of the highest successful tackle rates in France last season for Nice and McLean really improved on this last season as well as he played a more defensive role - he made and won more tackles that Skipp for example. 

The system change means the defensive roles are spread across all the midfielders.

While Norwich need one more in that area as the first backup is Rupp, who is a good passer and intelligent player, but doesn’t have the legs to motor up and down the pitch at great speed. 

Players like Normann and Billing have been targeted as they can go box-to-box - not just defend. 

It isn't just tackling though is it. Its also about intelligence, patience and awareness. Skipp personified that. Players like Matic and Henderson who are a ware of what is happening in the game. The greatest being Beckenbauer.

I havent mentioned pur defence ...only DM. Hanley and Gibson may or may not be good enough? Thats yet to be proven. The Sheff Utd defence that kept them up 2 seasons ago were good enough and all outstanding defenders

What I can say is that Hanley and Gibson task will be made no easier if we dont sign the protection required in front of them

Edited by GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary